PDA

View Full Version : Pit Bull Rescue, URGENT!

Tonya
10-29-2003, 08:26 AM
I don't have time to explain...I am totally late to work because I'd been trying to catch this pitbull all morning...Can someone look online and find a pitbull rescue close to Modesto, California for me? (The bay area or Sacramento are also close enough) I need to get rid of him as soon as I get home from work, and I don't have time to search. I have a pit crated here that HAS to go today. He is very aggressive towards my animals. He has been fought.

Foam
10-29-2003, 08:53 AM
Oh, Tonya that sounds horrible!
I found a Pit Bull rescue in the bay area for you.
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

:) I hope this works!

lovemyshiba
10-29-2003, 03:35 PM
I don't know where they are located, but I found a few here:

http://www.wonderpuppy.net/cabreeds.htm#a

Good luck!!
Please let us know the story when you have the time!!

aly
10-29-2003, 03:57 PM
I hate to be the one to say this, but if he was used as a fighting Pit, then chances are the rescues will not be able to take him this second. Most rescue groups have foster homes with other animals in them. They will be in the exact same situation as you are. When they take in aggressive animals, they usually need to know far in advance so they can plan for a foster with no other animals.

I also know that most rescues put the fighting Pits down because there are so many good Pits without the problems that arise from being fought for them to concentrate on. I know its really, really sad. But hopefully you can find a place that will not put the dog down.

micki76
10-29-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by aly
I hate to be the one to say this, but if he was used as a fighting Pit, then chances are the rescues will not be able to take him this second. Most rescue groups have foster homes with other animals in them. They will be in the exact same situation as you are. When they take in aggressive animals, they usually need to know far in advance so they can plan for a foster with no other animals.

I also know that most rescues put the fighting Pits down because there are so many good Pits without the problems that arise from being fought for them to concentrate on. I know its really, really sad. But hopefully you can find a place that will not put the dog down.

Not to mention the possible legal ramifications for them if the dog was ever aggressive towards people.

I’m afraid you’re going to have a really hard time with this. We had someone call our org. about a pit that had been fought and unfortunately the best advice we had to offer was to take him to their vet and have it PTS. I know that’s incredibly harsh, but around here there’s no other choice. All pit rescues here are jam-packed and a former fighter doesn’t have a chance in hell, righteously so IMO. Once the dog has been in that atmosphere and mindset, he’ll likely not make a good safe family pet, regardless of what breed it is.

Hope that doesn’t offend any pit moms.

Good luck.

captain
10-29-2003, 04:58 PM
I really hope that something other than PTS can be done ....... badrap is a great place to start talking to

Tonya
10-29-2003, 09:23 PM
Thanks, everyone. Read http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36794 for the follow up.