PDA

View Full Version : Leaving soon to help rebuild So. California...

Tonya
10-28-2003, 11:03 PM
As most of you know, I am in construction for the phone company. Well, we lost thousands of cables in the Southern California fire. In fact, we are still losing...

We had a meeting today at work. They are sending pretty much everyone to Southern California to rebuild. They are even sending techs from out of state. We were told to stand by and that we will be leaving anytime within the next thirty days. The goal is to have three week rotation, so hopefully I won't be gone to long. The company cannot guarantee us that we'll be home that soon though. They said it may be months.

They told us to expect 90+ hour weeks. They can only force us 10 hour days, but of course if your co-workers are busting their tails you aren't going to cut out early.

I sat my six year old son down today and showed him pictures of the fire. I explained that mommy has to go help these people and that I will be gone for a long time. He's reasonably upset but I think he understands. I promised that him and daddy can come down and stay at my hotel as a mini vacation. That cheered him up a bit.

In some ways, I am looking forward to helping and all the extra money I'll make. But Gosh, am I going to be homesick! I have never left my husband or son for more then a few days. I'd just started back to school, but my instructor is going to look into postponing the classes since the majority of students are phone company employees.

So, anyways...I don't know if I'll have any notice. If I fall off the face of the Earth, I'll be back. :confused:

Freckles
10-28-2003, 11:28 PM
Thank you. Stay safe.:)

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-29-2003, 04:15 AM
Wow - I've never through about the disruption to the lives of those people that go to assist after a tragedy like this. One always tends to focus on the "victims", but in reality the number of lives affected is much higher!

How sad that you will be away from your son and your husband. :( Try to keep in your mind what a sense of relief it will be for the residents there, when their vital communications are restored thanks to YOU!

Stay safe, and stay in touch with your loved ones. And thanks for the advanced warning that you may "dissapear"!!

moosmom
10-29-2003, 07:05 AM
Tonya,

Please stay safe. Those fires are awful. My friend who is a photojournalist went as a trained firefighter to do a story about them. When I talked to him he said that there was nothing more eye-opening than being right in the middle of them.

If you can, please have hubby update us on how you are doing.

(((((hugs)))))))

Karen
10-29-2003, 07:25 AM
Thank you so much, on behalf of all whose lives you will help restore to normal. A friend's dad was a lineman when I was growing up - is that what you do? After every ice-storm here in the Northeast, his Dad would be gone for days, sometimes longer. Thank you also for telling us, so we won't worry and wonder too much! Rather, we will have specific worries while not hearing from you!

Be safe, be careful and come back soon! ;)

pitc9
10-29-2003, 08:01 AM
Be Careful!!!!!

:D

ramanth
10-29-2003, 08:11 AM
Stay safe Tonya! *hugs* I'm sure you'll be back home in no time and what a blessing you are to those you are helping. :)

Albea
10-29-2003, 09:47 AM
The people in So. California will be very grateful for your help.
Stay safe. I hope you can be back with your son and husband soon.

gini
10-29-2003, 09:58 AM
Tonya, what a huge sacrifice you are making to leave your family and pets to help restore service in So. Cal.

Although, aside from smoke and ash, I have not been impacted by the fire directly - so many have lost so much.

Please accept my personal thanks for making such a sacrifice.
You are the unsung heroes that we never hear about.

lizbud
10-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Tonya,

That's wonderful that you're able to help so many people. :)

I want to wish you the best of luck & hope you don't have to be
away from your family very long. Take care.:)

Kona & Oreo's mom
10-29-2003, 10:38 AM
Thank you so much for coming to help. For you to disrupt your life and family to help us regain phone service is a sacrifice that we all sincerely appreciate. Thank you!

anna_66
10-29-2003, 01:57 PM
What a sacrifice your making, leaving your family & all. Thank you:)

tatsxxx11
10-29-2003, 03:08 PM
Many thanks for your great sacrifice and that of your family! I know the people of So. Calif. will be most grateful for your help! Most of all, PLEASE be safe!! Hurry home!!:)

popcornbird
10-29-2003, 03:14 PM
What a sacrifice, to leave your family and go down there to help others. I'm sure so many Southern Californians will be more than grateful! Stay safe, and try to update us whenever you can. Those fires sure look scary. :( Good luck!

lovemyshiba
10-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Please stay safe, Tonya.

Thank you for all you are going to do for these poor people:(

I'm sure your work will be hard, but so appreciated.

Stay safe, and see if you can get that hubby of yours to drop in on Pet Talk for us and let us know you're ok.

Moose
10-29-2003, 04:04 PM
Be careful and stay safe Tonya! It's so wonderful that you will be going down there to help out.....I'm sure you're work will be greatly appreciated.

RICHARD
10-29-2003, 05:21 PM
For you to come down and help us out is priceless.

I want you to be prepared to be thanked at every job site,
You'll find out that the people of SoCal are some of the warmest people you will ever meet.

I can assure you that you will want to forget the hard work you may have to do down here, but you will remember the people a lot longer.

Thanks!

Kiia
10-29-2003, 05:58 PM
Please becareful while you're out there.

Keeping you in my thoughts until you return.

captain
10-29-2003, 06:14 PM
Keep safe, and hurry home ...........

rg_girlca
10-29-2003, 06:21 PM
Be careful and stay safe and give your hubby and son extra kisses and hugs to tide them over until you return home.

Tonya
10-29-2003, 09:55 PM
Awww, thanks, everyone! I'm crying right now! I never thought of myself as a hero or anything like that...it's feels good to feel the appreciation. Your thoughts made me feel so much better about going.

I just found out that they have to fly me home every two weeks for two days to see my family. That makes me feel much better. -Except of course (if Jaden handles it ok) I won't come home while all my co-workers are away from their families.

Thank you so much, on behalf of all whose lives you will help restore to normal. A friend's dad was a lineman when I was growing up - is that what you do?

Karen,

I am half lineman. ;) My job title is called a construction splicer. Gosh knows what I'll be in So California. We often help with home repair during storms. I am assuming, we'll be placing brand new cable and just scraping what is left. I am on the same crew as the linemen. I help them place the cables. The difference between myself and the linemen is that I put the wires together afterwards. I do not set poles or operate the diggers. The linemen do that. And I also build HDSL, T-1, etc... lines.

slick
10-30-2003, 09:28 AM
It must be very satisfying know that your job can help others. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers until this disaster is overwith.

Tonya
11-01-2003, 10:18 AM
I *may* not have to go. On Friday, the boss asked for volunteers to leave Saturday (today). I raised my hand to volunteer because it is the right thing to do.

All of the guys at work and bosses told me to put my hand down. They said I am the only mommy there and one of the few with a small child, so I should be the last one going. They told me that when they went to help with the 1989 Earthquake and the Oakland fire, it was supposed to be weeks and wound up being a year. They said that didn't want to see me get stuck away from my son that long.

They said that someone has to stay here and hold up the fort. -There will be plenty of work piling up here while everyone is gone.

So, they talked me out of it. It really made me feel special that they thought of me. Twenty five guys are leaving today to go down there. I am last on the list now, so if anything, I'll go at the very end (months from now) and relieve them.

captain
11-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Tonya,

What a nice thing for him to say ...... and realise!

KYS
11-06-2003, 07:27 AM
I am glad you do not have to go, and leave your family.
You are right, "somebody has to stay here and hold up the fort."

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-06-2003, 09:19 AM
It sounds like you work with a VERY special bunch of people! I'm so glad that you "maybe" won't have to be away from your family after all!

RICHARD
11-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Tonya

All of the guys at work and bosses told me to put my hand down. They said I am the only mommy there and one of the few with a small child, so I should be the last one going. They told me that when they went to help with the 1989 Earthquake and the Oakland fire, it was supposed to be weeks and wound up being a year. They said that didn't want to see me get stuck away from my son that long.

I think a cake when everyone comes back is in order.....no, not a litter box cake either;)

Actually,

That could be a great lawsuit......Maternal Discimination!!!!

KIDDING!!!! When kids enter the equation guys get real sappy!! How many of THEM are dads???:)