PDA

View Full Version : Eye Boogers

micki76
10-27-2003, 02:52 PM
Anyone know of a good way to clean “eye boogers” from Aneko’s face? It’s a daily struggle with her. She produces a huge clump on each eye everyday and it dries up by the time I get home and get it off. Then I have to wrestle with the senile dog for an hour to get it off. Arrrggghhh! Any suggestions about anything that I can put on them to help loosen them up would be great, cause the warm wet washcloth ain’t working!

Thanks!

stacwase
10-27-2003, 03:51 PM
I wish I could hlep you! Jake loves it when I take his off, just with my finger. It must feel good. Max doesn't get them.

Foam
10-27-2003, 03:52 PM
Oz gets those in the mornings sometimes. I just take a piece of toilet paper and wipe them off. I wouldn't know how to prevent them though. :confused:

micki76
10-27-2003, 04:46 PM
No, this is massive. Covers 1/4 her eye, :eek: and usually invloves a lot of the hair around her eyes even though we keep her face shaved. It's gross.

Jennifer - do you have this problem with Chilli? If so, what do you do?

It's so yucky.

jenfer
10-27-2003, 05:02 PM
Oh YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES. Chilli has it all the time. You wipe it now and 2 seconds later, her eye is covered with it again. We just keep cleaning it. We use moistened cotton ball to wipe her eyes. Or Chilli will wipe it herself ON YOU. :rolleyes: I do not know anything that will reduce the production of it though. I believe it's a Shih Tzu problem.

ParNone
10-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Hi micki,

I have that problem with Maddie due to dry eye. I have
lubricating eye drops and eye ointment that I get from the
grocery store. I try to put both on in the morning and then again
in the evening. That keeps the goopiness more or less
to a manageable level. Fortunately Maddie is beyond wonderful
at letting me mess with her eyes.

Par...

micki76
10-27-2003, 09:10 PM
Thanks guys. :)

Jennifer - do you just moisten the cotton ball with water? I actually wish Aneko WOULD wipe them on me or on anything. They get so fried into her hair and then when I try to clean them, she tries to bite me. She HATES you to do anything at all to her face. :rolleyes:

Les - I have to use those drops myself from so many hours on the 'puter. :eek: :D I guess I can get Aneko a bottle too. ;) Actually hubby just said that the last time she was at the vet he said she had dry eyes! Of course, he forgot to tell me that! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

dukedogsmom
10-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Micki, I LOVE your scary Halloween sig! I just clean Duke's up with a napkin. His aren't bad, though.

tikeyas_mom
10-27-2003, 09:15 PM
as you know I have a breed alot like aneeko ;).

OScar hates it when people go near his eyes. so we just restle him down and clean them out. We try to keep his hair around his eyes nice and cut short but somtimes that doesnt even help..

micki76
10-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Val - thanks! It is spooky isn't it?

Jynelle - You know, we keep the hair cut around her eyes really short and it still just mats up so grossly. Her hair from her head gets all smushed into it from her trying to wipe it off. Her little snout is so short that she litterally can't get her paw in there to wipe them off herself. Her snout is short even for a Shih Tzu and I barely have room to put my thumb across it when I hold her mouth closed! It's not even a 1/2 inch long. :eek:

jenfer
10-27-2003, 10:20 PM
Micki:

I just soak the cotton ball and then squeeze out all the water so it won't hurt Chilli's eye. She tries to turn her head away, but she still let us do it, so it's not too bad. :rolleyes: Can you "bribe" Aneko? May be then she will sit still. Chilli will almost do anything if you tell her she will get food. :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

lv4dogs
10-28-2003, 12:47 PM
Raustyk my rott gets those big slimy ones all the time, she also gets the hard clumpy ones too. I teach all my dogs to let me do whatever I want to do to them.
EVERY time she is calm even if you are barely touching the eye, PRAISE< PRAISE< PRAISE! And when you are done praise again! She will eventually get the hang of letting you clean her eye boogies!

CJ7Boomer
10-28-2003, 02:15 PM
i get a magazine called Doctors Foster Smith- its a pet magazine- i was looking in it the other day and saw something for eye boogies- its like a wipe. im not sure if its what your looking for but its called Show Eyes wipes...their web site is DrsFosterSmith.com

micki76
10-28-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
Raustyk my rott gets those big slimy ones all the time, she also gets the hard clumpy ones too. I teach all my dogs to let me do whatever I want to do to them.
EVERY time she is calm even if you are barely touching the eye, PRAISE< PRAISE< PRAISE! And when you are done praise again! She will eventually get the hang of letting you clean her eye boogies!

Problem is that she's very old (13-15) and I just adopted her in June. She can't hear and is very cranky. :) We can't even bribe her with food like Jen suggested. :rolleyes:

CJ7Boomer - Thanks! I'm gonna order some and try them. :D

jenfer
10-28-2003, 10:46 PM
i heard from someone that there are certain "tea" that you can give your dog to drink that may help reduce the production (just like chinese herbal tea). not sure whether it's true or not. (side note: chinese herbal medicine does work! I once had a very bad skin rash i got completely recovered in a month and my skin was even better than before)