PDA

View Full Version : Firesky San Diego ,ca.

SANDY FROST
10-27-2003, 01:38 PM
Here is a photo I took outside my house
of the sun of 3 fires 20 miles from my house. Spooky and awesome looking.
Sandy Frost:eek:

mugsy
10-27-2003, 01:51 PM
WOW! Amazing. Please be safe. The stories are pretty horrific. I feel badly for my high school friend who lives in San Diego because he was badly burned fighting a fire in South Dakota when he was a smoke jumper. This has got to bring back some pretty bad memories. He lives out there because he only has 2/3 of his lung capacity left. Pretty scary stuff.

slick
10-27-2003, 02:12 PM
I've been following this on the news. First we get it up here then CA gets plagued. I did hear that some of the CA fires were sparked by arson. True or not??

All you people from the firezone have to be diligent in checking in all the time here so we know you are OK. Please??

Logan
10-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Dear California friends........please, please, please stay safe. I am so worried about all of you. :(

popcornbird
10-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Stay safe all of you Southern Californians! :eek:

SANDY FROST
10-27-2003, 03:12 PM
One of the fires was started by a lost hunter as a siginal fire and he is in jail now. Everyone I know is alright but One of the ladies at work had to leave because her house was in danger. I work at a chain drugstore and all day yesterday I was selling merchandise to customers who had to leave their homes and they all made in out fine. But I'm still sad as one lady customer told me she saw the fire in her backyard and she grabbed her cat and left. Her house must be burned down now. One man was complaining how he lost his truck. I told him thank goodness you're alive. As me I live in Pont Loma near lots of water. I'm fine and so our my 3 cats.
Sandy:eek: ;)

ramanth
10-27-2003, 03:54 PM
I'm glad you're safe Sandy! My Aunt lives in Jamul (southeast of San Diego) and my sister is in Corona. Linn, my sister, wrote me and sent me these pics.

We're kinda near the wildfires but we aren't close enough for worry. They started about 25 miles north west of here are have been moving south. For the past couple days there has been a huge smoke cloud in the sky and everything smells like smoke. There are bits of ash everywhere - my car is filthy! Today it's starting to clear up and it just looks hazy. I heard that the fires have moved into San Diego county but as far as I know they aren't near Aunt Jan. Nick and I were in San Diego on Saturday and everything looked fine there (we stopped by Aunt Jans but she wasn't home, so I left a note and we visited with the horses).

Nick took some pictures of outside with my digital camera - i've attached them so you can see the lovely smoke filled view we've had (these were taken from the balcony).

http://www.cutestsandgirl.com/images/misc_images/DCP_0075.JPG

http://www.cutestsandgirl.com/images/misc_images/DCP_0076.JPG

http://www.cutestsandgirl.com/images/misc_images/DCP_0077.JPG

tatsxxx11
10-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Amazing photos but so scary!!:eek: Sandy, Jackie, all of you S. Californians, be safe please! I hope and pray nothing happens to your homes, but your personal safety is most important! We're all thinking of you.

popcornbird
10-27-2003, 04:06 PM
*sigh* Those palm trees! I love San Diego. :p He he he Not going to DARE go there right now though! Very interesting pics......yet scary at the same time. :eek:

RICHARD
10-27-2003, 05:26 PM
http://www.dailynews.com/

You can see pictures of all the affected areas
by looking to the right side of the page under
the "galleries" section.

In the LA basin you can smell smoke from the San Bernardino fires, about 30 miles away.

The Simi Fire is about 10 miles away from my house, I could see the flames from my front yard.

We were discussing the victims of the fires and we came to the conclusion that-

You watched you home burn to the ground
or you were able to save your house by fighting
the fire.

You are out of town and do not know if your house
was saved or burned.

You are asked to evacuate and do not know if your
home was safe or burned.

------------------

The saddest story is one of a 93 year old man who collapsed and died while watching his home burn.

slick
10-27-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
The saddest story is one of a 93 year old man who collapsed and died while watching his home burn.
I can't even imagine how devasting it much be to watch your only home and all it's possessions burn to the ground. No wonder he collapsed. :(

Does anyone know if there are animal rescue groups out there rescuing pets?? This summer the SPCA along with an organization called Noah's Wish worked together in the Interior BC rescuing people's pets along with horses, cattle, etc. My friend is part of Noah's Wish and she came back with some horrible and happy stories.

Kiia
10-27-2003, 05:47 PM
Those pictures are over whelming, they almost have a spooky feel to them. Please stay safe everyone out there, my thoughts are with you and yours.

Very sad, very sad indeed. :(

lovemyshiba
10-27-2003, 05:48 PM
Please stay safe everyone.

Those pictures are scary, and I feel so terrible for those who are losing their homes--I saw a couple on the Today show this morning, whose home had burnt down--they were having a hard time even speaking about it--Thank God, they and their children were ok.

I hope someone is looking out for any pets in the area, and that everyone will stay safe.

RICHARD
10-27-2003, 05:52 PM
Radio station have been announcing where you can take or look for animals in the fire areas.

Some shelters are putting up areas where the animal can be kept close to the owners.

The area near the Simi fire is dotted with horse
stables-people have been volunteering trailers and vehicles to help move the horse in the affected areas.

luckies4me
10-27-2003, 08:05 PM
I feel so bad for the pets. A couple on tv were shown by their burnt house and their dead kitty was outside burnt. :( I would have taken the cat with me. :( I just burst into tears.

I head the story of the old man too, so very very sad it made me cry. :( Poor man. :(

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-27-2003, 08:08 PM
How SCARY!! As I posted in Julie's thread, I would be scared to death. Please stay safe!

anna_66
10-27-2003, 09:04 PM
I've had all of you in my thoughts today & glad it hasn't affected any of your homes. I can't imagine what it would be like for the sun to be covered by the smoke:(

gini
10-27-2003, 09:25 PM
PCB, I heard on the news that beautiful palm trees were actually responsible for some of the fires spreading. When they ignite, there are huge sparks that blow off of them and ignite a home or other property.

The evening news said that cooler weather is on its way and even RAIN by the weekend.........this is only Monday.

Can you imagine being so sick of mind that you would intentionally set a fire so you could go home and watch it on television?

Some of them were started out of stupidity - the guy in the forest hunting - got lost and started a fire so his buddy could see it.

Of course, you know that I hope all of our pet talk friends are safe as well as their pets and homes.

popcornbird
10-27-2003, 09:54 PM
*But I like beautiful palm trees* :(

San Diego is FULL of them.

You mean.......PEOPLE started these fires? :eek: Gosh people can be so evil! :(

I know Noahs mommy is in Southern CA, but have no idea what city she's in. Does anyone know how she's doing?

stacwase
10-27-2003, 10:02 PM
This is so terrible. I can't even imagine the destruction and the sadness and the terrible smell. The smoke must get into your lungs! I hope none of you have asthma. Are you able to keep the insides of your homes relatively smoke-free?

Corinna
10-27-2003, 10:04 PM
My heart goes out to all as we suffered this summer with our fires in the park and all around us 7 mile diamter. Please cover your faces and be careful about breathing in the ash and smoke. we had toxic air lots of people have respatory poblems. Your in our prayers.

gini
10-27-2003, 10:04 PM
Noah's Mommy lives south and west of where one of the fires is raging.

Her area is probably alright, but I bet she is getting a lot of ash and smoke. And I would think the shelter she works at is overloaded.

SANDY FROST
10-28-2003, 01:56 AM
Thanks fo0r your wonderful post. Good to iknow your relitives are safe. THose photos are awesome. THhanks for sharing.
Sandy Frost

SANDY FROST
10-28-2003, 02:04 AM
I live in Point Loma and I'm safe.
Kohala is close to where I live and she is alright. I don't know about jackies' dasiy35. I hope she is alright.
Sandy Frost:p

SANDY FROST
10-28-2003, 02:11 AM
jackisdaisy35 is alright. In just got an e-mail from her. She is near the southern fire but she is safe. PHEW!
Sandy Frost:p

lynnestankard
10-28-2003, 03:23 AM
This is so dreadful

My heart goes out to all those people affected.

Hope all our Pet Talk family are safe and sound.

PCB - last I heard from NoahsMommy she was OK.

Lynne

ramanth
10-28-2003, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the update Sandy! Good to know our PT'ers are safe. :)

And I hope everyone continues to stay safe and that they don't have to evacuate their homes.

The devestation is so horrible... :(

jackiesdaisy1935
10-28-2003, 09:25 AM
It seems the whole of San Diego has been burning. Just a tragic thing to happen. Over 260,000 acres have burned, over I believe 300 homes and possibly 11 to 13 people have died. Many of them in their car trying to outrun the fire. Two elderly people jumped in their swimming pool to save their lives. They are finding charred pets in the burned out homes, and they are trying to find any animal that is loose and scared. There are many, many evacuation areas for people to go to.
We live about two or three miles from the bay and lots of green around us, the closest fire to us is the Otay Lakes fire which is about 15 miles from us, but no worry here.
Our daughter Lorie is in New York with her husband visiting his parents and her neighbor called us to say they were being evacuated, so our family went to her house met Jeff's swat team friend and they broke into the house and saved as many valuables and brought all of their vehicles to our house. They finally let everyone back into San Carlos and they are due home today so it turned out o.k.
Our older daughter has her stepdaughter, grandaughter and husband as they were also evacuated from Kearney mesa.
The ash is horrible, you can see it falling like snow.

The problem is that our resources were stretched so thin, most of our San Diego area fire people were up in L.A. fighting the fire there when this fire broke out and the fire people up there would not release them to come down to fight this fire in their own territory and of course we had no helocopters, no water bombers and not many firemen, they were all up in L.A. The fire then just
spread wildly from the East almost to the ocean.
Many firemen and police lost their homes too

Our dogs are fine, we kept them inside and only brought them out to do their duty, things are looking much better now, we can actually see the sun, yesterday the day was like night.
Jackie, Perry and Daisy

gini
10-28-2003, 09:25 AM
I talked to Kelly, Noah's Mommy last night and they are fine as well as her Mom and Grandmother who were closer to the fires.

I turned on the television this morning and immediately saw pictures of huge flames. What is so sad is that I had to wait a minute to learn WHICH fire they were talking about - there are so many going on at once.

Sandy, thanks for letting us know that you and Jackie are fine, I thought about you both and hoped that you were safe.

Kona & Oreo's mom
10-28-2003, 10:53 AM
Hi, everyone. It's Tuesday morning and the fires are definately not over yet--there are at least two main ones still burning in east San Deigo county. The amount of smoke in the air is incredible; at my house you can barely see down the block from the smoke and there is a thin layer of ash covering everything. The smoke smell does come in the house, but it's not as bad as outside. They are telling people to stay indoors for health reasons.

I was out of town when this started, and heard on the news about the fires. It was hard to get information about which specifc areas were threatened, so it was very scary. Oreo was staying at a kennel, which is near the coast so she was safe. Kona was at my home, with planned visits from my family. I got a call from my sister that she had to evacuate Kona from my house late Sunday night. Our neighborhood was told to evacuate, but we have returned and there wasn't any damage. I drove home Monday morning as fast as I could, but you could imagine how long those 5 hours seemed!

I stayed home from work today in case K & O need to leave again. This is really stressful!

ramanth--I grew up in Jamul and my parents still live there. I know that last night some parts of Jamul were evacuated so the fire crews could start backfires to gain more control. Those area have since been re-opened and seem safe for now. My thoughts are with your aunt. PM me if you want to know about specific areas.

Albea
10-28-2003, 11:22 AM
My heart goes out to you and all the people in So. California. I hope you all remain safe and this horrible fire can be controlled soon, without any more loss of life.
Please take care.
Alicia

momoffuzzyfaces
10-28-2003, 12:13 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you in California. Please stay safe.

RICHARD
10-28-2003, 01:10 PM
I think that Gray Davis is lighting the fires to get back at the voters.....:eek:

gini
10-28-2003, 01:23 PM
R I C H A R D!!

RICHARD
10-28-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by gini
R I C H A R D!!

SORRY....

gini
10-28-2003, 01:34 PM
Yeah, like you didn't think you would get a rise out of somebody!

Bad boy!! Very bad boy!

SANDY FROST
10-28-2003, 01:41 PM
RICHARD! LAUGH OUT LOUD!

WAY TO GO!
SANDY FROST:D

RICHARD
10-28-2003, 01:58 PM
Again, I apologize.

After a certain point the horror of it all points you into the direction of macabre humor.

Also, it's the frustration of seeing your immediate world on fire.

It was meant as a little jab at Davis and his
well meaning, but late, interaction with the people of the state...

slick
10-28-2003, 02:06 PM
Bad boy!! Very bad boy!
Don't say that!!! Maybe he likes to be spanked.....

oops, did I just say that.....sorry

gini
10-28-2003, 02:10 PM
Richard is right! Grey Davis has been EVERYWHERE.....all smiles and ever so friendly.

Maybe he is just relieved that he can get out from under the mess he is leaving.

Spanking, sorry Slick, I am not going there:D :D

momoffuzzyfaces
10-28-2003, 02:16 PM

Also, it's the frustration of seeing your immediate world on fire.

Are all of you who are near the fires packing things up and loading your cars? I sure would be. I would be gathering up my pictures and things that can't be replaced and stuffing my car, just in case I had to leave. Of course my cats supplies would be included. If I leave my cats leave.

Kona & Oreo's mom
10-28-2003, 02:35 PM
All the families on my street (including me) have our cars packed with photos, important papers, etc. just in case we have to leave quickly.

Kona doesn't like the look of the porta-prison ready by the door! My sister had to come over and "kidnap" her on Sunday night, and Kona doesn't want that to happen again. :)

catland
10-28-2003, 02:46 PM
It takes something like this for the rest of us to realize that our problems might not be so bad after all.

Take care everyone - we're thinking of you.

slick
10-28-2003, 02:57 PM
http://www.canada.com/vancouver/story.asp?id=EA73CA45-A651-4AA1-813D-DC6C0DE9DFE7

Here's an article that appeared in today's local rag.

RICHARD
10-28-2003, 04:39 PM
thanks slick....

and you know that our beloved governor won't ask for help....
:rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
10-28-2003, 04:41 PM
Just found out the brother of a dear friend of mine lost his house. He, wife and three kids are living in a hotel. They live(d) in Scrip Ranch. Just last year when we were out there visiting he was telling about the addition he had just finished putting on his house.....They were given 10 minutes to evacuate and then it was all gone....:( :(

momoffuzzyfaces
10-28-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Just found out the brother of a dear friend of mine lost his house. He, wife and three kids are living in a hotel. They live(d) in Scrip Ranch. Just last year when we were out there visiting he was telling about the addition he had just finished putting on his house.....They were given 10 minutes to evacuate and then it was all gone....:( :( How very sad! My thoughts and prayers will be with them.

RICHARD
10-28-2003, 07:01 PM
A few sad stories..

Two women were hurt, one was killed, in a car accident as they tried to get horses out of the fire area in San Diego.

Another woman was burned when she fell coming out of her home as the fire neared the house. 15 dogs were lost in the kennel she kept at the residence...

16 people have died, over 1,300 houses lost - the area burned in all the fires has equaled the area of the State of Rhode Island.

The smoke from the San Bernardino Fire has blotted out 2/3s of the sky over the City of LA..

One great story was a fireman calling a local radio station to let us know that 30 fire fighters had VOLUNTEERED to come down and help out. They were in the process of driving a brush rig 750
miles from Medford, Oregon to Los Angeles.

There we also reports of rigs making their way from the Las Vegas
FD..

prayers to everyone in and around the fire zones.

kohala
10-28-2003, 10:03 PM
http://www.kfmb.com/ http://www.thesandiegochannel.com/index.html These are two San Diego Channels, 8 and 10 (CBS and ABC), that have several links to show what's going on.
For those who don't know San Diego, I-8 is the main east-west freeway through the mid area of town, with 52 a little farther north running e-w and 94 a little farther south, also e-w. Main North-South freeways are I-5 farthest west, then 163, 805 and I-15 (furthest east.) Sandy lives in Point Loma, nearest the beach and I live in the very mid-city community of North Park. Jackie is farther south and east of me.
The main fires burning are about 15 mi north near the city of Escondido, south of hear in Otay and just north of me the San Diego communities of Tierra Santa and a little farther up the I-15 is the San Diego community of Scripps Ranch. This is just east-north of Miramar (MCAS) which also had fires. Then there is buring east and north of here (North Park) - Alpine, Julian, beautiful rural communities in the Laguna Mountains. What seems to beIf this link works, this little explanation may explain where we are in relation to the fires.
The extreme buring pattern had a lot to do with the prevailing Santa Ana winds, which we get regularly. They are dry and strong winds that blow from the n-e, and with the fire, they caused a lot of sparking from site to site, and caused the massive smoke clouds.
On sunday, the sky never got any lighter than a late afternoon/early evening light all day. It is very unhealthy out where I am, soot was on and in everything Sunday and Monday, and now smoke is leaving a fine dust all over.

Evacuees were with my next door neighbor, my friends chose ths shelter for access to services and information. Two friends from work lost homes in Scripps Ranch, I just heard. It's heart sickening.

I was out sick Monday from a soot and smoke induced sinus attack.

Well, these links can take you developing news, if you want to check them out from time to time. If you get a chance, look for the "map" that shows how much of the city was burning - It's amazing!!

Thank you all so much for the kind thoughts.
Thanks for all

Karen
10-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935
It seems the whole of San Diego has been burning. Just a tragic thing to happen. Over 260,000 acres have burned, over I believe 300 homes and possibly 11 to 13 people have died. Many of them in their car trying to outrun the fire. Two elderly people jumped in their swimming pool to save their lives. They are finding charred pets in the burned out homes, and they are trying to find any animal that is loose and scared. There are many, many evacuation areas for people to go to.
We live about two or three miles from the bay and lots of green around us, the closest fire to us is the Otay Lakes fire which is about 15 miles from us, but no worry here.
Our daughter Lorie is in New York with her husband visiting his parents and her neighbor called us to say they were being evacuated, so our family went to her house met Jeff's swat team friend and they broke into the house and saved as many valuables and brought all of their vehicles to our house. They finally let everyone back into San Carlos and they are due home today so it turned out o.k.
Our older daughter has her stepdaughter, grandaughter and husband as they were also evacuated from Kearney mesa.
The ash is horrible, you can see it falling like snow.

Our dogs are fine, we kept them inside and only brought them out to do their duty, things are looking much better now, we can actually see the sun, yesterday the day was like night.
Jackie, Perry and Daisy

I thought of you first when they said "San Diego" and "fire" and hoped you would be safe. Paul and I had such a nice time visiting with you and Don and Daisy and Perry, of course. I am glad you are all safe, and being careful with the smokey air and all that!

Do say hello to Daisy for Paul, and Perry gets extra skritches from me, okay? (Each dog decided which of us h/she liked when we visited!)

Be careful, be safe, all of you anywhere near the fires. Air quality is so important, so stay inside 'til they give the all clear if you can - you don't want to be breathing that ash!

Ash falling like snow, how very scary!

Hope the weather co-operates and the fires are contained soon. You'll all be in our prayers.

kohala
10-28-2003, 10:26 PM
So far, Channel 10 has raised (at last count) $1.7 million dollars for victim relief, from corporate donations to $34.00 raised by two little girls who sold cookies.
No matter where in the world tragedy hits, there is a beauty in the human spirit that does rise above and shine.

SANDY FROST
10-28-2003, 10:39 PM
KOHALA thanks for all the useful information and the news link.
YES!
Sandy Frost;)

captain
10-28-2003, 10:49 PM
I have been thinking of you all over here in Aussie.

It is hard for me to figure out exactly who would be affected ...... so, prayers and best wishes to all Californians.

It is coming into fire season here in Aussie, I know how bad it gets here, and only wish a speedy RAINFALL on California ..

{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}

Freckles
10-28-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by slick
Does anyone know if there are animal rescue groups out there rescuing pets??
Oregon Humane Society in Portland is sending an Animal Rescue Team of three people. They have credentials and training for rescuing animals in the fire areas.

Tonya
10-28-2003, 11:45 PM
Wow! It just amazes me how quickly things can turn upside down!

ramanth
10-29-2003, 08:31 AM
Thank you so much for those links Kohala.

Everyone be safe! *hugs*

This image... I'm just speechless. :(

http://www.kfmb.com/misc/sd_fires_2003/aerial_map_new.jpg

Kona & Oreo's mom
10-29-2003, 09:45 AM
This morning the Cedar fire is still burning much of the east county. It moved out of the areas of Tierrasanta and Scripps Ranch on Monday, yet much of the news coverage is still focusing on those areas--which is frustrating. It is difficult to find accurate information about the active fire in Descanso and Julian.

The communities of Crest and Harbison Canyon (in the east near El Cajon) burned on Sunday night and Monday, and the homeowners there had very little warning. By the time they found out the fire was coming toward them, it was too close to have time to pack. About 300 homes were lost, and there are many horses in the area.

You asked about rescue for the animals: The SD Humane Society has a rescue program, as do many other organizations. Here's one Web site: http://www.sdhumane.org/howyoucanhelp/fire.cfm

I live in Rancho San Diego, which is very close to Crest, Dehesa, and El Cajon. Kohala's explanation of the area was great--thanks!

jackiesdaisy1935
10-29-2003, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the note Karen, we are doing fine, Don put a wet bandanna over his nose and mouth and tried cleaning up some of the ash all over the place, it's everywhere. He finally gave up and I got him inside.
Yes, Daisy loves the men and really took to Paul, lol and Perry is a ladies man so naturally he gravitated to you, lol. Daisy is still her independent self under all circumstances, nothing seems to bother her, but Perry has been very nervous, I guess he can smell the smoke.
We have a little mountain town called Julian and it has been there for years and years. People go up there in the fall for the apple pies and they have a lot of antiques and shops, the firemen are inside the town with fire surrounding them and have vowed to save the town, but I hope at no loss of life. We do now have firemen here from all over the country, New Mexico, Arizona, all over California, and they said they are ready to fight this fire.
These firemen are exhausted, it's amazing what one can do under stress.
Jackie

momoffuzzyfaces
10-29-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935
Thanks for the note Karen, we are doing fine, Don put a wet bandanna over his nose and mouth and tried cleaning up some of the ash all over the place, it's everywhere. He finally gave up and I got him inside.
Yes, Daisy loves the men and really took to Paul, lol and Perry is a ladies man so naturally he gravitated to you, lol. Daisy is still her independent self under all circumstances, nothing seems to bother her, but Perry has been very nervous, I guess he can smell the smoke.
We have a little mountain town called Julian and it has been there for years and years. People go up there in the fall for the apple pies and they have a lot of antiques and shops, the firemen are inside the town with fire surrounding them and have vowed to save the town, but I hope at no loss of life. We do now have firemen here from all over the country, New Mexico, Arizona, all over California, and they said they are ready to fight this fire.
These firemen are exhausted, it's amazing what one can do under stress.
Jackie
Jackie, I'm glad to here you are all safe. I heard on the news this morning about the firemen hunkering down in Julian trying to save it. They said so far they were holding their own.
There was one town where one house remained untouched by the fire and every one around it was burned to the ground. So sad.
Prayers still with all of you out there.

gini
10-29-2003, 12:02 PM
Jackie, Kohala, Kona and Oreo's Mom, it was good to hear that all of you are safe.

My nephew works at Scripps in La Jolla and I was worried about him too.

Our poor pets - they just must be kept indoors away from the bad air quality and soot.

Big hugs to all of you and I hope you continue to stay safe as well as your families.

Gini

gini
10-29-2003, 12:11 PM
http://landsat7.usgs.gov/gallery/index.php

This is another link that will show you how many fires were burning on October 26th - before they got out of control.

Cinder & Smoke
10-29-2003, 01:23 PM
For those interested ~
Here are a few of the many Dozens of web sites that are available. They are provided by the State and Federal Agencies charged with Firefighting - not only in California, but in most of the other states in the West and Southwest.

Most of the sites have extensive *click-links* to other sites in a vast network - you could spend hours reading the information presented.

The "Old Fire" (San Bernardino National Forrest) =
"Old Fire" main page (http://www.incidentcontrol.com/old/index.html)

Forest Service Southwest Region - LINKS in upper right corner to
the major fires...
Region Home - LINKS to Major Cal. Fire Pages (http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/fire/)

National Interagency Fire Center (Boise, Idaho)
"Fire News Page" has LINKS to the major fires {scroll down} and
recent short updates on progress =
NIFC - Fire News Page (http://www.nifc.gov/fireinfo/nfn.html)

Many of these sites have extensive Photo Libraries with hundreds of
photos of Mum Nature at work...

---------------------
Animal Rescues...

MSNBC.com has a nice article on rescuing Horses and other critters...
MSNBC - Animal Rescues (http://www.msnbc.com/news/986472.asp?0cv=CA01)

All you Folks on the Left Coast be careful & stay SAFE!

/s/ Phred

SANDY FROST
10-29-2003, 02:10 PM
THANKS FOR THE AWESOME PHOTOS.
We're all safe in San Diego.
Saqndy Frost;)

RICHARD
10-29-2003, 06:54 PM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/983543.asp

:(

kohala
10-29-2003, 09:46 PM
I saw some blue sky today at work. That was encouraging. It's actually cool tonight, and predictions are for drizzle. I hope it drizzles farther north and east, though. They need it now. And Mexico has suffered these fires, too.
Julian was saved. But so much beautiful forest has been lost. And the homes . . .

gini
10-30-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by kohala
Julian was saved. But so much beautiful forest has been lost. And the homes . . .

.....and the fireman from Novato, CA who lost his life.........and three firemen who have been severely burned.

ChrisH
10-30-2003, 10:39 AM
It is all so scary and tragic. My thoughts and prayers are of, and for, all members of pet talk and their families, along with all Califonians. My heart goes out to you all.
Hugs
Chris

luckies4me
10-30-2003, 10:43 AM
My family lost their cabin. :( We were to go there for Christmas, but now it's gone. :(

Kona & Oreo's mom
10-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
My family lost their cabin. :( We were to go there for Christmas, but now it's gone. :(

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Was it in Cuyamaca?

momoffuzzyfaces
10-30-2003, 01:01 PM
I saw an interview with one of the firemen this morning. He looked so tired and his eyes were so sad, it brought tears to my eyes. I wished I could give him a hug, a hot meal, rest, and lots of rain.

RICHARD
10-30-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
I saw an interview with one of the firemen this morning. He looked so tired and his eyes were so sad, it brought tears to my eyes. I wished I could give him a hug, a hot meal, rest, and lots of rain.

People in the Porter Ranch area opened their homes to the firefighters for showers, meals and coffee.:)

It was sprinkling this morning on the way to work.

Thanks for the rain dance.

To change the subject slightly-COLORADO is under siege from a wildfire too.....

Time to keep them in our thoughts.

luckies4me
10-30-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Kona & Oreo's mom
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Was it in Cuyamaca?

To tell you the truth I have no idea where it is, but they go there often. I haven't been able to see it, since they got it after I moved here to Oregon. I never got to see it. :( That really bums me out! :mad: Sometimes I wish I didn't move away because I miss everything!

SANDY FROST
10-31-2003, 03:04 AM
Here are some e-mail addresses about the SAN DIEGO fires I got from a friend .

American Red Cross-www.redcross.org/services/diaster/0,1080,0 594,00

www.sdarc.orc/diaster/residenttiallfires.asp

www.diasterrelief.org

Sandy Frost;)

RICHARD
10-31-2003, 11:22 AM
pisssed off..

I came home last night and saw on one of the tabloid shows
that the host, Bob Goen (?), was sent, by helicopter to see if his vacation property was still standing-It was located somewhere
in the Lake Arrowhead area.....

The co-host teased the end of the report by saying that they would show what he found on tonight's show.

Some people will not be able to get back into the area until next Tuesday, yet, they trivialize the whole story by renting a chopper to see it this tool's place is still standing and make it a story on his show...

gini
10-31-2003, 12:02 PM
Would it help Richard, if we were to find out what channel, what time it was on, what station, and then write them to say what incredible poor taste it was for them to do that?

I have a friend who has owned a cabin forever. Now there is no cabin and she isn't laughing.

RICHARD
10-31-2003, 12:27 PM
Would it help Richard, if we were to find out what channel, what time it was on, what station, and then write them to say what incredible poor taste it was for them to do that?

I have a friend who has owned a cabin forever. Now there is no cabin and she isn't laughing.

WORKING ON IT!

ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT -CBS

luckies4me
10-31-2003, 01:04 PM

Well if anyone didn't notice, we just lost OUR cabin! That guy can go kiss my A$$. I am sure he has enough money to buy another one, my family doesn't. I posted on another forum and didn't get even ONE fricking reply! :mad: :mad: :mad: No one said sorry or anything. I don't understand people. :confused:

My family just bought this cabin and now it is gone! I didn't even get to see it. Do you know what an accomplisment it was to get this, to even have had my family buy a house????????? a BIG one! There is NO way we can replaces this cabin, none. We don't have all the money in the world to just go buy another. This Christmas I would have seen it for the first time, and spent time there with my family, now there is nothing. :( :( :( You don't understand how sad this makes me.

Logan
10-31-2003, 01:07 PM
I saw your post, Cass, and I am so sorry for the loss. :( Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I simply don't know what to say. Much of California has lost so much. :( :(

RICHARD
10-31-2003, 01:09 PM
letter to KCBS, where I saw the ET program.

I happened on the ET program on October 30 and saw that one
of the co-hosts, Bob Goen was choppering over the sight of his vacation home that was ravaged by the recent SoCal fires.

He was looking to see if his vacation home was still standing.

After the clip of Goen in the chopper, Mary Hart teased the end of the 'report' for tonight, 10/31.

I am amazed that they would trivialize and tease a 'report' like that when there are people who will not be able to enter the area until early next week.

Of course, such a loss of a home is very sad and has an impact on the owner, I thought the
whole idea of flying a reporter from an entertainment program over the site to check on his home is tasteless and shows the depths
that some producers will stoop to to get 'a story'.

Journalistic integrity always
implies that a reporter not become part of the story..
Mr. Goen is no reporter nor is he a journalist.

Entertainment shows are just that, entertainment- they should keep entertaining and
leave the news to the news departments.

I do feel badly for Mr. Goen and the possiblity that he may have lost his property, but to turn it into a piece on the program is absurd and
so lacking taste I felt the need to communicate that to your station.

Thank You

Kona & Oreo's mom
10-31-2003, 01:21 PM
Well if anyone didn't notice, we just lost OUR cabin!

luckies4me, I do understand your pain, and I assure you that I realize that every loss from these fires is significant and painful. I tried to express that:

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

Perhaps I could have expressed myself better. I hope that you and your family will have access to the FEMA assistance that is offered to help the victims of these fires recover. Of course, that doesn't help with the sentimental loss; that no one can replace. My thoughts are with you.

luckies4me
10-31-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I saw your post, Cass, and I am so sorry for the loss. :( Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I simply don't know what to say. Much of California has lost so much. :( :(

I know there are so many who have lost their homes that can never be replaced and it saddens me so much! Their pictures, their possession that have been passed on for generations, their cars, everything. :( I can't imagine what would happen if we lost everything like others have. Just this was a big blow, letting me know that anything can happen at anytime.

The reason I am so sad is because this was a cabin that was purchased with Denny's brother, Denny (my stepdad) and their father before he passed away. It's new and took a lot of money saving to get. It was a family cabin, not directly owned by us, but the familys and had a lot of sentimental value to my stepdad and his brother since their father passed away a couple years ago. I was so looking forward to enjoying my visit there at Christmas, to feel the love that surrounding that house, the memories everyone held of that place and Denny's father. I wanted to be a part of that excitement on Christmas day and now it's gone. Maybe I am just being selfish, but it does make me feel awkward that ever since I moved here I am missing everything that goes on in my family, and am left out of pretty much everything. I wish I could move back. :( I doubt the cabin can be replaced now, but it might, we will see.

If I have a million dollars I would help rebuild homes for people, I swear I would. :( I would be down there in an instant trying to help those people. My deepest sympathies are with those who have lost so much. To watch your home burn to the ground must be terrible. To lose everything, including your pets, my .........it's just so terribly sad.

I feel for the guy who lost his house, I read what Richard posted wrong. I hope the fires end soon.

luckies4me
10-31-2003, 01:25 PM
luckies4me, I do understand your pain, and I assure you that I realize that every loss from these fires is significant and painful. I tried to express that:

Perhaps I could have expressed myself better. I hope that you and your family will have access to the FEMA assistance that is offered to help the victims of these fires recover. Of course, that doesn't help with the sentimental loss; that no one can replace. My thoughts are with you.

I didn't mean Pet Talkers. I should have been more clear. :o I meant another forum that I belong to. Sorry about that. :o

SANDY FROST
10-31-2003, 01:29 PM
Sorry about the loss of your Cabin.
Sandy Frost:(

luckies4me
10-31-2003, 01:34 PM
Well I am talking to my stepdad on IM and he said they have insurance on the house that I guess will pay for the damage? I guess only one side was burnt, and the other side totally unscathed, so they might be able to rebuild afterall! Of course, it will be smaller as it would be missing a whole side, but at least there is still a part of it standing!!!!:D

I feel a lot better now.

RICHARD
10-31-2003, 01:46 PM
:( :( :( You don't understand how sad this makes me.

we can only guess at how you feel.

Mulitply your sadness by the 2,600 hundred families who lost homes...forget the '2nd' home stats and think of the people who lost their primary residences.

The loss of a vacation home sucks big time!

I do feel badly for your family's loss.

For some an Xmas cottage/cabin is a nice place to be during the holidays- I think that most of us are focused on the people who do not have an alternate home or place to stay..

That is why I posted the ET thing I saw on CBS..

People are wondering where they will go when the shelters close while Bob Goen choppers around a disaster area, all while being filmed for a entertainment show.....under the pretense of making it a sob piece and 'how the fire disaster has affected one of our own on this program'

Effing Horse Puckey.

Too bad it didn't happen during the ratings period:rolleyes:

I'm sure he'll sleep well in his Brentwood/hollywood Hills/Beverly Hills home tonight.

slick
10-31-2003, 02:05 PM
Cass, I'm so sorry this has happened to you and your family. I haven't posted much here because I don't know what to say to help the situation or that would bring some comfort to you. :( Having seen the devastation that happened this summer up here, I can only pray for the families and rescue workers and hope that there are no more deaths from this tragedy.

luckies4me
10-31-2003, 02:15 PM

Mulitply your sadness by the 2,600 hundred families who lost homes...forget the '2nd' home stats and think of the people who lost their primary residences.

I know, I already mentioned that. :( To us, it's not too big of a deal compared to all the others who will have NOWHERE to go. That is what truly saddens me. :(

I never said my loss was more important than anyone else's, it is obviuosly nothing compared to some.

RICHARD
10-31-2003, 02:32 PM
I know, I already mentioned that. :( To us, it's not too big of a deal compared to all the others who will have NOWHERE to go. That is what truly saddens me. :(

I never said my loss was more important than anyone else's, it is obviuosly nothing compared to some. I'm not going to post here anymore.........

I'm sorry that you are hurt by my statement.

I was merely making a statement as to how stupid it was to have an ENTERTAINMENT REPORTER reporting about the loss of his second home when people are out of their ONLY homes.

RICHARD
10-31-2003, 10:38 PM
THANK YOU GOD...

IT'S RAINING IN CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!!!

kohala
10-31-2003, 10:40 PM
THANK YOU GOD...

IT'S RAINING IN CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!!!
I got rained on yesterday when I walked out at lunchtime - Is it raining where you are now, Richard? No rain here - yet!
Something about living here - we LOVE rain!!!!:D

RICHARD
10-31-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by kohala
I got rained on yesterday when I walked out at lunchtime - Is it raining where you are now, Richard? No rain here - yet!
Something about living here - we LOVE rain!!!!:D

YES, snow in the mountains too!

god may dislike CA but he sure knows how to make it up to us...
I'd like to think that he's dropping tears for the folks and firemen
who have had enough of this fire stuff.

:D

SANDY FROST
11-01-2003, 01:46 AM
HORRAY IT'S RAINING IN CALIFORNIA!

WE NEED IT.
SANDY FROST:D

lynnestankard
11-01-2003, 04:19 AM
HURRAY!! At last some rain hopefully those dreadful fires will be got under control now! Thanks God - have some prayer pups been on their special line to you?

Lynne