PDA

View Full Version : Up all night

Tanya&Fritz
07-03-2001, 08:11 AM
Fritz was up all night with diarreah. It's all over the living room. I was basically up all night with him too. At 4:00 this morning I gave him half of an Imodium pill. His diarreah stopped. I don't know if you're supposed to give a 4 month old puppy Imodium but I took the chance. He seems tired today but has stopped going to the bathroom. He was at the doggy daycare all weekend because we were camping. Maybe they didn't give him his proper food? I don't know what would've caused it. How long should you wait before you bring them to the vet? He seems OK now but tired.

Logan
07-03-2001, 08:20 AM
Tanya, I'm so sorry Fritz is ill.
You might try the boiled hamburger and rice with him, a little at a time, and make sure he is drinking plenty of water. YOu don't want him to get dehydrated.

Since tomorrow is a holiday, it might not be a bad idea to at least call the vet, and find out specifically what you can give him if the problem starts again. That way you won't have to guess with the immodium.

It certainly could be the change in food, or just being in the kennel for a couple of days. But, better safe than sorry.

Hope little Fritz is feeling better soon.

Logan

Stenograsaurus
07-03-2001, 08:36 AM
Tanya,
I'm sorry to hear poor Fritz is sick. That seems to happen a lot when dogs go to a kennel for a few days. Everytime my co-worker's dogs go, they experience the same thing. Her vet always tells her to use Pepto Bismol so I would assume Immodium is okay. The vet also says to do the hamburger and rice thing too like Logan suggested. I'd call the Vet and see what they say. Give Fritz a hug and a kiss from me. I hope he feels better soon.

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: Stenograsaurus ]

Tanya&Fritz
07-03-2001, 08:43 AM
Logan, it's not a holiday here in Canada. Canada Day was July 1st. So our vets will be open!

sammi
07-03-2001, 10:06 AM
So sorry that Fritz ia feeling sick. We have always been advised to use pepto-bismol for diarrhea in dogs. It is very hard to get out of carpet! :eek: Years ago I had my dog and my moms dog who both had diarrhea. I was trying to pry their darling little mouths open and give them the medication by syringe and a good share went on the carpet! The vet did say he was more concerned with older dogs and small dogs. I have also used rice with hamb. or canned food mixed.

Sudilar
07-03-2001, 10:18 AM
For Shiloh, I would give her a pepto-bismol chewable tablet. She would eat it (she eats everything) with no problem and it always worked. Good luck to you!

jackiesdaisy1935
07-03-2001, 11:32 AM
Hope Fritz is feeling better today. :)

Logan
07-03-2001, 12:15 PM
Ooops, Tanya! I knew that, just forgot where you were!!! Well, I still hope you will get some advice from your vet, maybe even tomorrow!! And I certainly hope that little Fritz is feeling better now.

Logan

Pam
07-03-2001, 07:51 PM
Poor little Fritz! And poor Tanya too on clean-up patrol. I know when Bella was throwing up a little over a week ago I was practically following her around with my little scrub bucket! :( I have used the boiled hamburger/rice meals for my dogs in the past when they had Fritz' problem. I think I would consult the vet, though, before giving any more Imodium because you want to make sure you get the correct dosage since he is such a little guy. ;) I sure hope the worst is over and he starts to perk up real soon!

Daisy's Mom
07-04-2001, 12:19 AM
Poor Fritz! Get well soon!

Tanya&Fritz
07-04-2001, 08:07 AM
We went to the vet yesterday afternoon after I found blood in his stool. I panicked because I know it's not a good sign. He's on medication for his diarreah now and he's eating hamburger and rice. He seems fine though. Still wants to play! It's hard because he's so small. I've never had such a small dog so I tend to treat him like a baby and panic at little things. Good news though, he's gained 2 pounds!

Sudilar
07-04-2001, 11:34 AM
I hope he gets all better real soon! :)

petspoil
07-04-2001, 12:42 PM
Poor Fritz :( Get well soon.

aly
07-04-2001, 08:31 PM
Hi Tanya. Immodium worked wonders with Reece when he had bad diarrhea. I only gave him 1/4 of a pill though, instructed by the vet. How's Fritz doing now?

Daisy's Mom
07-04-2001, 10:56 PM
Poor Reece! Get well soon!

Tanya&Fritz
07-05-2001, 09:03 AM
More news! I brought a stool sample (yuck) to the vet yesterday. They called and said they found a parasite. So now I have to go and pick up antibiotics. I wonder if he had this when I got him. Apparently, if a dog has this it gets worse with stress. We're going camping again the first weekend in August and needless to say we're bringing the dogs with us! Fritz is doing really well though. You'd never know anything is wrong with him! He's still a crazy man!

Sudilar
07-05-2001, 09:51 AM
I hope everything comes out in the end! LOL Hope that nasty parasite leaves quickly! Good luck!
Sue

Daisy's Mom
07-06-2001, 12:03 AM
LOL ewww gross Sue! :) Glad to hear it's nothing serious, Fritzy boy :)

Albea
07-06-2001, 01:29 PM
Hi Tanya,
I only read your postings about baby Fritz today. I'm so sorry the poor little boy was sick :( But if the vet knows what caused his illness he'll be able to make it go away soon.Give him a belly rub and a big hug from me ;)

tatsxxx11
07-06-2001, 03:31 PM
Me too Tanya! Poor puppy! Star had a bout with the upchucks the past two days. Rice and hamburger! And no more grass! Hope the sweet boy is feeling better. At least you've pinpointed the cause and help is on the way with the antibiotics. Stress definitely does exacerbate the problem, and often causes bloody poops. Please give lots of hugs, kisses and belly rubs from me too. Try not to worry. Then again, they are our little furry children! Love, Sandra

AdoreMyDogs
07-07-2001, 09:32 AM
Oh I sure hope little Fritz boy is OK. His poor little belly :( It's so hard to see our pets in pain, even if it's a tummy ache. It would have sent me through the roof to see blood in stool, I am glad you brought him to the vet, and it sounds like you really kept your cool....I'd be overdosed with panic :)

I have a question about grass...Graham loves to eat grass, and he has for years and years. He grazes quite a bit but yet he has not thrown up in many years...as a matter of fact, I don't think he has puked since I first got him and he puked a big pile of long, white worms :eek: about 7 years ago. He gets a super premium, natural diet (Innova) with Prozyme added (a digestive enzyme) and Missing Link Plus added (high fiber). He still continues to eat grass. I have even tried that "Barley Grass" for dogs and it did not prevent him from grazing. Is it OK for him? The yard is never sprayed with pesticides because he loves to graze. If anyone knows about this please post. I have been curious about this for some time and just wondered if anyone knew anything about this habbit of his, and if it's OK.

Tanya&Fritz
07-08-2001, 09:14 AM
As far as I know, all dogs eat grass. There used to be a myth that "dogs eat grass because there's something lacking in their diet". Apparently, this isn't true. Dogs eat grass because "they can" and "it's there"!

By the way, Fritz is doing really well. Antibiotics are working great.

Albea
07-08-2001, 11:45 AM
Hi Tanya!
That is good news about baby Fritz :D
We are sending another belly rub and big hug ;)
Alicia and Carina

Sudilar
07-08-2001, 10:32 PM
Sandra,
How's Star feeling? All done with the up-chucking? I hope so. Sending a hug from Killi and Shiloh and me, too!

shais_mom
07-09-2001, 12:10 AM
Shai eats alot of grass also which I believe is a trait of greyhounds.
Try Kaopectate the next time he upchucks. I was advised to do this, I gave it to Shai with a syringe and she loved the taste and it worked great.

shipugtzus
07-09-2001, 07:00 AM
sorry to be so long in answering,just seen the post about Fritze.Am glad to hear he is doing better.Give him a big hug from my gang.Keopectate or Pepto either one works well for me. I have used both.The blood in the stool sounds like coccidios,which is a parasite often seen in kennels,if so albon will clear it up.Should be able to get it from your vet or a pet supply house.It works well for almost any type of tummy ailment.I have used it a lot with puppies that came from a kennel. Also it is highly contagious,if you have any others,watch for signs of it in them.Should you get some albon I would give it to all of them.Ask your vet he will know what it is,or if it is cocidi.

My dogs eat grass all the time.I have yet to see a dog that didn't.So that is nothing to worry about......Sandy

Tanya&Fritz
07-09-2001, 07:08 AM
Sandy, you're good! That's exactly what he has. Coccidius. He's on antibiotics and he's fine now.

mysticdoberman
07-09-2001, 11:27 AM
Glad to hear that Fritz is doing better! What an awful thing for him (and you) to deal with right before vacation! How wonderful of you to be the attentive owner that takes them to the vet, as alot don't! Always heart warming to come here and enjoy the love that is passed around to each other! Keep us posted!

Stenograsaurus
07-09-2001, 12:54 PM
I'm glad Fritz is feeling better. How about Hans? Is there a chance that he could have it too?

Daisy's Mom
07-09-2001, 04:41 PM
I'm glad Fritz is feeling better. Poor little baby!