PDA

View Full Version : My Graham had an accident...

Pages : [1] 2

AdoreMyDogs
10-24-2001, 07:47 PM
I need prayers. Graham is staying at the vet tonight for a dislocated front leg. He for some reason must have jumped off my balcony while I was at work which is 1 story up. He is having it popped back into place under anesthaesia, but he tore quite few ligaments so he may have to have it surgically done if it does not take. I'll update you, but please pray for my angel :(

Leslie's angel-boy, Graham...

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/001/PZ/1x/5k/IN76457.jpg

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Phred ]

Phred
10-24-2001, 07:54 PM
OMG! All hands and Paws are crossed for poor :( Graham!

Best wishes for a Full and Speedy recovery!

lizbud
10-24-2001, 08:03 PM
AdoreMyDogs,
How in the world?? I'm so sorry that Graham
is hurt!!He will get Special prayers from
Indy tonight..I love that little guy!!!
Please update when you are able....

Pam
10-24-2001, 08:05 PM
Oh Poor Graham fellow! :eek: Paws and fingers crossed over here too. Keep us posted!

zippy-kat
10-24-2001, 08:19 PM
My prayers are with ya!

SimbaTWonderDog
10-24-2001, 08:34 PM
omg Graham Pooch im soooo sorry! poor baby :( im actually very depressed.. Graham is such a cutie and sound slike the sweetest dog! My heart and prayers go out with Graham.. eslie when u see him give him a biiiiiiiiig *hug and kiss*

Sudilar
10-24-2001, 08:38 PM
Oh my goodness!!!! How horrible. Graham has my prayers!!!!!! You must be frantic. I sure would be. Let us know how it goes. I will be praying hard! Oh poor Graham!!!!

jackiesdaisy1935
10-24-2001, 08:49 PM
Oh Leslie, I just read this post and I am so sorry, poor Graham, I feel so bad for him.
Of course you have all of our prayers and positive thoughts for the poor baby and Daisy and Perry will keep both paws crossed that all turns out well for him. When you see him please give him a hug and kiss from all of us.
Jackie

Logan
10-24-2001, 09:15 PM
Oh, Leslie :( . I am so sorry to hear that Graham has been injured. Please know that the sweet smiling boy is in our prayers tonight. I hope he won't require surgery. Please keep us updated as you can. I know your home is too quiet tonight.

Logan

aly
10-24-2001, 09:33 PM
Leslie, I couldn't believe it when I saw the subject of this post. I was almost too afraid to read it. I can't believe that happened to sweet Graham. Was he able to walk? Why do you think he jumped off the balcony? That is so odd. Poor sweet boy. Both you and Graham are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry you have to spend the night without him. I pray he will be home in your arms tomorrow and on the road to recovery. Hang in there Leslie. Remember how everyone prayed for Hannah and she got better? I am sure the same will happen with Graham. We all love that boy to bits and pieces.

KYS
10-24-2001, 10:22 PM
Ouch! Poor Graham.
Good thoughts and prayers that everything goes as planed, and he has a fast recovery.

Rottie
10-24-2001, 10:27 PM
Oh no! :eek: Poor Graham. I hope the leg will pop back together and STAY there.

I don't want to sound discouraging, but I do have a story to relate to this. When Iris got hit by a car a couple years ago, her back leg got knocked out of the socket. They tried and tried but couldn't get it to stay back in, it kept popping out. She had to have surgery, but she's much better now. She still walks with a very slight limp sometimes, but she recovered very well.

I don't think Graham's leg sounds as severe though ;) :::crossing fingers:::

Poor baby, get well soon Grahamy-boy!

kobieeli
10-24-2001, 11:48 PM
Oh no, I feel so bad for you and for Graham...His smile is darn near the best of anyone's on PetTalk, and I'm pulling for him to make a fast recovery! :)

shais_mom
10-25-2001, 12:37 AM
Get well Soon Graham!!
We are praying for you!

Hugs and Kitty kisses,
Staci and Kylie

delidog
10-25-2001, 05:11 AM
oh poor poor graham!!!! how did he do such a thing...you must tell him...though we all believe he is "super dog!!!" the real one had a cape to brake his fall!!!he does not need to demonstrate!!!! we love graham and wish him a speedy recovery....all paws and hands are crossed for a prayer for him!!! the deli dog!!

purrley
10-25-2001, 06:52 AM
What a terrible thing to have happen to your sweet Graham - hope everything gets back into place and stays there - he's such a sweet boy - seems like we just have to keep an eye on our kids every minute. Prayers are with ya to be sure!!!!!

AdoreMyDogs
10-25-2001, 06:59 AM
Thanks everyone. I am crying now. I sure wish Graham could talk and tell me what happpened. I live in an apartment complex as some of you know. When I had pulled into the parking lot there was a dog sitting in front of my building and I thought, huh, that's wierd....a dog sitting without any owner, but then as I got closer to my car lot I realized that dog was Graham and he was holding up his front left leg compeletely but he came wiggling up to my car kind of guilty like. I parked in the car lot, my jaw dropped, because my husbands car was not there...I said, "Graham what the....what are you doing out here?" then with further examination I realized his leg did not look right. I looked in his ears, nose and looked at the color of his gums for any sign of abnormality or blood and he looked fine so then I flexed the three legs that he was using and he did not appear to be in pain...so I gently felt the leg he was holding up and I felt a bone pop. I told him to stay, ran inside, grabbed the phone, ran out dialing his vet's number. Inside I was crushed and horrified, but I tried to stay calm so as to not stress Graham out any more. So after the vet verified they had an opening, I ran back, threw the phone in the apartment, carried Graham into my front seat, and left. I did not look inside the apartment at all either to get the phone or when I threw the phone back in. While I was in the waiting room waiting for my appointment I tried to run threw what could have happened and why Graham would have jumped off the balcony. He's a smart dog, he knows very well that it is too high to jump. Something happened, something must have either spooked him terribly, or he was being protective. I was expecting a maintence guy to come and fix one of the toilets here, and it appeared someone was in the apartment because a few things in the bathroom had been rearanged or moved out of the bathroom altogether so I am calling the office today when they open and finding out which maintanance guy tried to fix the toilet in my apartment, and if they by chance know what happened to my baby. There is only one maintance guy that I allow to come in when I am not home because he likes Graham, the others' appear not to like dogs at all....so hopefully I will get some answers today. Either way, I will no longer let any maintance person in my apartment when I'm not home, and I will no longer leave my balcony door open for Graham. Live and learn. I will let you all know how he is when I pick him up at 7:30 tonight. Last night was his first night in a vet hospital in his life :( Poor baby. It was sure lonely and quiet this morning without my loyal friend.

Love you all. Thanks Phred for posting his picture, it moved me so much that it made me cry.

purrley
10-25-2001, 07:20 AM
I'm so very sorry - I'm crying too - that must have been so traumatic for you. But be sure your vet will do everything to get your baby well - so sorry this happened to Graham - it does appear he was spooked, like he had nowhere else to go - I'm sure you'll look in to this and will find out exactly what happend - keep us posted. Bless You!!!

3-greys-and-a-mutt
10-25-2001, 07:30 AM
Poor baby Graham! How terrifying to come home to that scene, and not know what happened to him!
I hope you are holding together well. I think I'd be in pieces!
Prayers for Graham's quick and efficient recovery, and for your sanity!

10-25-2001, 08:42 AM
Leslie I just read this! I am so so sorry this happened! OMG! I am almost in tears for little Graham. I hope he is comfortable and he doesn't have to go thru the surgery. He is in my prayers as well as you are Leslie... I know how this must hurt you. Graham will be just fine :) **Postive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** **Positive thoughts** are coming your way :D!

RachelJ
10-25-2001, 09:17 AM
OMG I can't believe our precious Graham is in pain. Hannah is beside herself and Tucker wants Graham to come here so he can take care of him. I am explaining that Graham is where he needs to be to be taken care of, just like Hannah had to go to the hospital to get well, so does Graham.

Leslie, don't worry about him being "in the hospital". Everyone working there will be enthralled with him, and he will be given the best attention possible. When Hannah went back to get her follow-up blood tests, it was like old home week and all these people she knew and knew her, and I could tell she was quite at ease there. It was quite a revelation.

I sure hope surgery isn't necessary, but if it is the best solution to a satisfactory recovery, then that is probably what you would want. I know, I know...nothing is simple when the most precious one is hurting.

Special prayers are going out right now for the most sweet Graham. They will not stop until we know he is going to be okay.

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

jackiesdaisy1935
10-25-2001, 09:30 AM
Leslie, what a terrible experience to see Graham out there by himself, I think you did wonderful in taking care of the situation so quickly, I think I would have gone crazy.
Thank goodness he stayed put and waited for you. I will be anxiously waiting to see what you say tonight, hugs and kisses to Graham from Daisy, Perry and me.
Jackie

sammi
10-25-2001, 09:44 AM
So sorry that Graham has been injured. I hope you get a clue today on what happened. Will think positive thoughts for him today.

RachelJ
10-25-2001, 10:42 AM
Leslie, of course you have to let us know as soon as you can once know any more information.

Logan
10-25-2001, 11:00 AM
Lonely Leslie.... :( I know it was way too quiet in your house last night. I have been thinking of Graham a lot this morning, and will be anxious to get an update from you later. But after reading your last post, I thought about what a good boy he is to sit there and wait for you.

Hurry up and get well, Graham, so you can run and jump and do all the fun things again. :D

Dixieland Dancer
10-25-2001, 12:16 PM
Graham is in our prayers for a speedy recovery. Tell him we all love him and want to hear from him real soon! Kisses and hugs to the Sweet Boy!

Albea
10-25-2001, 12:28 PM
Poor sweet Graham :( Carina and I are sending him best wishes for a quick recovery, many possitive thoughts, and much love. We both hope he'll be back home very soon with his loving mom.

tatsxxx11
10-25-2001, 03:36 PM
Oh no Leslie, not our precious, most loved Graham Man. Oh, poor baby. But what a good boy to sit and wait for his mommy to take care of him. How terrified you must have been Leslie. I'm crying...and my heart is breaking for you. I pray with all my might that our super-duper super-dog Graham is better today and will not need surgery. When I saw that pic. of him with his award I just lost it. He is one of the sweetest, dearest dogs ever. We will be anxiously waiting to hear the news. Graham, we love you boy. Sandra, Cody and Star send you all our love. Please be OK Graham.

Daisy's Mom
10-25-2001, 04:35 PM
Graham you poor thing! I saw this topic and my heart just stopped for a second! I was afraid of what I might read. I am sure everything will go fine. Leslie, you take care of yourself and Graham will be okay in no time!

joycenalex
10-25-2001, 06:45 PM
so how is graham and his mom tonight?

Pam
10-25-2001, 07:09 PM
Leslie what a scary story and the whole thing just sounds sort of creepy to me. Don't you just wish Graham could talk and tell you what happened! Poor baby!!! I'm hoping to hear soon how he is doing tonight!

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: Pam ]

Phred
10-25-2001, 07:20 PM
Come on, Mom, tell 'em how I' feelin...

Sez Graham...

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/032/tE/vG/sY/Zr69903.jpg

Sudilar
10-25-2001, 08:10 PM
How are you doing, Graham, sweetie?? You have the best smile!! I hope Mom gets to the bottom of this soon. My prayers are with you for a speedy recovery!!

Sue

jackiesdaisy1935
10-25-2001, 08:42 PM
Still worrying about you Graham, will keep those prayers and great positive thoughts going. Hope all is well.
Jackie

AdoreMyDogs
10-25-2001, 08:47 PM
You all know how much I love you, right? I hope so! It's been a hard day. But Graham is taking it way better then me. I do have some leads as to what happened, but no proof yet. I am afraid it may have been one of the "dog hater" maintance people, but getting him to prove that he was here with just my word at this point is useless. I am still investigating it. But at this point, I am just glad Graham did not land on his head or his back when he jumped off the balcony, I am glad he's still with me and I am trying to concentrate on how grateful I am to have this beautiful dog by my side.

Graham thanks you all, and he told me to tell you that because he loves you SO much, it's ok to post a couple of the pics we took just moments ago. He wants you all to know that he will be OK. Mom and Dad are the ones who will have to adjust. I decided to keep him out of agility for at least 6 months to a year. He will not be happy about that but we will find something less straining on his muscles. I am thinking I will put him through a class that only teaches tricks with clicker...to keep his mind active while he is recovering. The aweful hunk of metal and tape has to stay on for 8 weeks. We are all adjusting to the change. I will find out in 14 days if the splint is enough to heal the bone, or if he has to have surgery. The vet told me that the odds of the splint working were not all that good since it was such a bad dislocation. Well here he is.
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/009/gv/8x/zr/1X21831.jpg

And another... http://wsphotofews.excite.com/037/rz/hy/Bq/2097814.jpg

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I was just saying on a different post that I can always count on my good friends here to be my shoulder to cry on in time of need.

Again thank you. Graham loves you all too.

aly
10-25-2001, 08:56 PM
Ohhhh poor Graham boy. I hate that he has to wear such a large cast, but I know it will make him all better. To think this was probably all because of a dog hater :mad: :mad: Graham boy, I know you're doing so much better now that you're home with mommy and daddy. Keep your chin up sweet boy, and get well soon!!!!!!!

Phred
10-25-2001, 08:57 PM
Welcome Home, Graham :D!

Cinder and Smokey want to know if you can
have that leg un-wrapped :eek: before morning?

lizbud
10-25-2001, 09:02 PM
AdoreMyDogs,
Just checking in to see if you have any news
about Graham's injury ..
I don't know why, having never really met
Graham in person, that I should feel so
'connected' to this sweetest of doggies;
but I do!!! His personality as described by
his lovin Momma and the pictures of him
remind me of my daughter's dog Obie.
I hope with all my heart that Graham can
be restored to Perfect health & Happiness ,
and we get to see more happy pics of him
snoozing on the patio furniture!!!
Get well quick Graham Baby!!!!

3-greys-and-a-mutt
10-25-2001, 09:05 PM
Poor Graham-y poo! :( He looks absolutely miserable in that giant cast! Hold your head up high baby Graham, you are just as beautiful as always!
Leslie, I think us Pet Talkers need to track down that maintenance man and she how he does after falling (or being pushed) from a balcony! :mad:
(Of course I'm exaggerating, but... GRRRRR.... :mad: :mad: :mad: )

Pam
10-25-2001, 09:13 PM
Little sweetie Graham you look so sad with that nasty cast on. I bet that you much prefer the booties your mom made you wear! Please hurry and get well. You are a special friend to everyone here. :)

RachelJ
10-25-2001, 10:03 PM
We are all so uppyset here. I don't know who feels worse, Hannah, Tucker, me or my husband. We all claim to be Graham's number one fan. This just can't be happening. Hannah is in denial. Wants it to be some sort of costume his mommy made him wear. Tucker is worried about how's he going to lift a hind leg when he don't have but one good front one. My husband doesn't want to hear any bad news, and I just want to kiss that precious face and tell him it will be okay, it will be okay.

Leslie, you will make it through this. Graham will be okay. It really doesn't matter about the agility, what matters is that Graham doesn't hurt and that he can enjoy life. There are so many things he is interested in. Please don't despair.

Sudilar
10-25-2001, 10:28 PM
Killian and Shiloh are very :mad: upset with a possible hate crime being perpetrated here. (read: grrrrrrrrrrr) If you need any assistance, please let them know. They will be happy to take care of this possible dog-hater. (read: grrr grrrr grrrrrrrrrrr).

Love to you, Graham and Leslie, too!

Logan
10-25-2001, 10:50 PM
Graham, I am very sad for you right now
:( . What a huge cast you are having to wear!! You sweet boy, your mama is right. You are so lucky it wasn't worse, but we are all still praying for a quick recovery for you.

Leslie, you hang in there. He will be ok. It will take time and patience, but you'll all be just fine. :) We love you all!!

Logan

delidog
10-26-2001, 04:10 AM
oh our thoughts and prayers are with you and graham...i cannot believe that someone...i.e. maintenance person could either allow or cause this to happen.and then walk away and leave poor graham....it disgusts me..thank god he sat and waited for you...what a brave boy!!!!and like you say thank god he didn't land on a more vulnerable,and/or irreparable part of his precious furbody!!!!...prayers for a speedy recovery....the deli dog

tatsxxx11
10-26-2001, 04:47 AM
Dear Graham. Everyone at my house is so very sad that you have to have that big, heavy, cast on your beautiful little leg. How we wish we could see that old Graham smile on your precious face. But we are so happy that you are home with your mommy and daddy now. Hopefully, your mommy will get to the bottom of who would do anything to harm a beautiful, gentle boy like you. I wonder if you really know how much so many people who have never met you in person, love you so. We are all praying that soon you will be back on all 4's and will not have to have the surgery. We love you Graham. What a brave boy you've been. Love, Sandra, Cody and Star

purrley
10-26-2001, 06:53 AM
I'm just so upset about Graham's injury and especially if it all happened because of some miserable human being. I just pray that this splint will work for your sweet baby and he won't have to have a surgery. But we all know it could have been so much worse. My prayers and good thoughts are with you, sweet puppy and mom & dad too.

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

AdoreMyDogs
10-26-2001, 08:14 AM
Bless you all to pieces. You are all amazingly wonderful. This was my first morning with Graham since the accident. I am finding that it is harder then I thought it would be. He is witholding his pee and poop because it's too hard to balance. I am supposed to take him out for very brief pee/poop breaks, walking him as little as possible. He is really showing a stubborn side that I have never seen before, he's not going to the bathroom. He tried to pee this morning and he chose a spot that was on a slight hill and he lost his balance and fell. I then walked him back and forth for probablly too long to try and get him to go again and he refused and I had to go to work so he went back inside and he'll have to hold it until I am off work. He used to LOVE to go outside, even if it was just to get the mail, now he has no interest. In fact, he hates walking in general. He no longer followes me around the house. He's so unhappy. I cried this morning when he fell trying to pee. I am using all of my self control to not baby him at all. I am making him do things he does not want to do, and trying my very hardest to not change the tone in my voice or change the words I use. And I am not helping him along when he stops and looks at me asking for pity. I let him trip over the fallen branches because he has to learn how to walk around or over them, and how to have better ballance. I may sound and appear cold to my neighbors if they see me but he has to get used to this thing, he's going to have it for a very long time. It's killing me. I don't know if I can do this. It's so hard to see him and to not treat him like he's handicapped. I am hoping strentgh will come to me, and acceptance will come to him soon. This is truly going to be a challange because he is my most beloved baby and I love him with all of my heart and soul :( :( :( :(

purrley
10-26-2001, 08:23 AM
My heart just aches for you. I know this must be so very, very hard to see your sweetie in so much misery. I'm praying so very hard that you will maintain the strength to see Graham through this terrible time. Your emotions must be running amok, from sadness to extreme anger. I know I'm feeling it too - God Bless you and Graham. Just wished I lived close enough because I would be there to help you!!!

Dixieland Dancer
10-26-2001, 09:02 AM
Leslie,
You don't need to be soooo strong that you can't show him some pity. He is scared now too and a little extra babying from you can help his healing emensely. I would move the branches for him for a week or so and then when he gets use to his "Situation" you can have him deal with it. Give him some time. Talk reassuringly to him while he's outside and help to balance him if he needs it for a few days. He's a great dog and needs you to reassure him now more than ever. He has to be confused and frightened! You are both in our prayers for his quick and complete healing. There are sometimes when being Alpha is just not as important as the well being of the dog! (I know this last comment has some of you scratching your heads asking if you read that right)! You DID!! :eek:

Stenograsaurus
10-26-2001, 09:20 AM
Oh, poor Graham. I am so upset that this needless injury had happened to him. Are you sure he jumped from that balcony? You can only guess what that poor excuse of a human being was doing to scare him so much. I'm just sick thinking about it. And then seeing the picture makes it all so clear. I would definitely baby him for the first few days. I know when I broke my leg, I needed help at first. It's hard getting used to such a change. I'd help him balance and also kick the sticks out of his way. You don't have to keep it up, but just do it until Graham gets adjusted to this change. It's a very scary, confusing and frustrating time for him as well. My prayers are with you during this time. I added you to the prayer list.

Daisy's Mom
10-26-2001, 12:01 PM
Oh my heart goes out to both of you! Poor Graham being in pain, and poor you having to watch him struggle! It must be so hard. If you need anything, you know we are all here for you. Our prayers are going double time. He just has to get better quickly with all of us Pet Talkers on his side.

Albea
10-26-2001, 12:04 PM
Dear Leslie: no wonder poor Graham is confused and can't find his balance with that huge cast :( Give him some time to recover his confidence. I also think that a bit of TLC would help him get well faster. Unlike humans, dogs don't feel sorry for themselves ;) But they need reassurance from those who love them.
I do hope you can find who was responsible for Graham's accident and give him what he deserves. I wouldn't feel at all guilty pushing that dreadful man from a balcony, and not just from the first floor. :mad:
Carina and I are sending our love, with very many wishes that he'll recover quickly. :)

lizbud
10-26-2001, 12:41 PM
AdoreMyDogs, /Leslie,
I agree with what Dixieland Dancer said
"you don't have to be sooo strong" with
Graham about this injury,that you can't help
him with the little things until he can
adjust to the cast/balancing,etc. Dogs never
do feel sorry for themselves !!Graham must be
in a lot of pain now & also as scared by this
whole situation as you are.Don't tell anyone
but the weekend when Buddy came home from
his knee surgery, I let him lay wherever he
was comfortable and brought his water dish
to him,even held it up for him to drink from,so he didn't have to move around to much.I also slept on the living room floor
in a sleeping bag for three days,so I would
be sure to be near him if he needed something.Sound crazy? Maybe to some people,
but it just seemed like the right thing to do
at the time. Just 'go with your heart' in this ,believe me you will not be spoiling
Graham,just helping him as he would you if he could.
Buddy & I send our love and prayers to both you & sweet Graham..Good Luck!! Liz.

RachelJ
10-26-2001, 01:52 PM
Leslie, I agree with Dixie, Liz and the others. Graham needs your support and assistance right now. It's not going to spoil him. It's what he needs right now. I'd make it as easy for him as you can, he still has enough to cope with and will have to call upon all his inner resources to make the adjustments he has to make inspite of all the help you can give him. He'll understand and appreciate you for it and learn to trust you even more than he does now, if that is possible. I know this is a challenge for you as it is for him.

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

AdoreMyDogs
10-26-2001, 02:03 PM
Hi all you wonderful people. Trust me, as much as I would love to be strong, I am not as strong as I want to be. Graham has been getting alot more babying then he normally does. I am not THAT strong, this is my baby that we're talking about ;) I just bought him a wonderfully soft lambskin (poor lamb) bed that was a little bigger then his other doggie bed in order to fit that cast and still be comfey, and I also bought a nice throw blanket to tuck him in every night. I bought a floor mat that has extra grips for my tile kitchen floor so he does not slip going to get his food and water, I carry him up and down the stairs ( :eek: 46 pounds first thing in the morning and 2 flights of stairs is not the easiest thing :eek: ) I give him a full body (minus the bad leg) massage daily, I am talking to him more, (and I used to talk to him ALOT!!), cuddling with him more, smothering him with tons of love and attention, and all the other extra special things that a sore doggie likes to get...problem is, when I stopped at my moms house right after picking him up at the vet, my mom first talked really sympothetic to Graham, just like I did at first, and Graham was acting really depressed. Then she started talking to him like she normally does, in a more energetic, uplifting voice and he perked up right away. I have been trying to treat him as normal as I can because I want him to feel confindent and I don't want him to dwell on his "problem" but yet move on to a happier state of mind. I still very much cater to his bad leg, goodness I would never let him do something to hurt himself, but I want him to feel confindent, and to accept that cast. The more normal, playful, and uplifting I speak to him, and treat him, the happier he seems to be. When I give him pitty, his whole attitude changes from slightly frustrated to downright morose.

I went home at lunch since he didn't do his pottying this morning and he was doing a little teeny bit better with the walking, and he did go potty...both pee and poo. He seemed to be slightly more OK with the cast. I hope so. I do know that I felt better since he went potty and he was a tad better with ballance.

I don't want you all to get the wrong impression, thinking that I am not giving him the extra special treatment that he deserves. He is. He's my love of loves, my best friend, my pride and joy, my gift from God. He's my beautiful angel.

I'll post on his progress, hopefully soon he will have some. Thanks so much for all the prayers. And thank you SO much for the card, Sandra. It made me cry, but then again I am so emotional, even seeing the CGC pic that Phred posted makes me cry. All these prayers and good wishes mean so much to me and Graham. He and I are so proud to have such dear friends from all over the world.

Love you all bunches!

Leslie & Graham

P.S. within the next couple of weeks I'll try to get a pic of Graham smiling with his cast on so can see first hand that he is feeling better :)

jackiesdaisy1935
10-26-2001, 02:03 PM
Leslie, I feel so sad for you and Graham. This will be one of the challenges of your life, and for Graham too. You have had the strength to get him through agility, and all the other wonderful things he has accomplished and he has shown the strength and endurance to do it for you. The bond of love is so strong between the both of you that you will get through this too. As the others have said, give him a little slack for a little while, let him get used to what is expected of him, he is strong and has the
fortitude to make it through this awful thing that has happened to him. He is a wonderful, loving boy and he will prevail.
Please give him a hug and kiss from Daisy, Perry and me. We send our love and strength to you too.
Jackie

Iditarodfan
10-26-2001, 02:05 PM
Oh my, oh my, Molly G & I are so sorry to hear about Graham's accident. :( We will pray, do voodoo and "get well" dances throughout the time it takes for Graham to recover. Phredd the pictures are wonderful! Graham is soooooooo photogenic. Hang in their Nurse Leslie, have faith! All of DOTD are pulling for Graham to be back Rockin and Rollin in no time. Smooch, smooch, Hug. Bea

Iditarodfan
10-26-2001, 02:05 PM
Oh my, oh my, Molly G & I are so sorry to hear about Graham's accident. :( We will pray, do voodoo and "get well" dances throughout the time it takes for Graham to recover. Phredd the pictures are wonderful! Graham is soooooooo photogenic. Hang in their Nurse Leslie, have faith! All of DOTD are pulling for Graham to be back Rockin and Rollin in no time. Smooch, smooch, Hug. Bea

10-26-2001, 02:10 PM
Oh Leslie - those pics made me cry. He looks so miserable - but I still see the love in his eyes.

I didn't want to mention it earlier but the "dog hater" thought crossed my mind when you mentioned a maintenance man being in the apartment and how Graham wouldn't jump unless scared or spooked. It gave me chills thinking about it - it did sound really creepy when you first mentioned it.

I'm sure Graham will be a big trooper and make the best of his predicament. He is a happy dog and will be just fine :D! Honestly Leslie, I am more worried about you - I know how distraut I would be if I were you. But, you will all adjust and kick into gear and will be used to everything really soon. Good luck and you know we are always here for you.

Sweet Graham, my girls send their biggest hugs and kisses to you. Get well and take care of that leg :D! We all love you very much!

purrley
10-26-2001, 02:12 PM
Leslie - I've been thinking about you and Graham all day. I just know that your sweet boy will be good as new in no time - what with all your love and the love of all of us how could he not. You both will be in my prayers this weekend and hopefully we'll get a wonderful report on his progress on Monday.
Take care.

tatsxxx11
10-26-2001, 02:51 PM
Dear Leslie. It must be so hard for you. Being torn between wanting to assist, comfort and console the Graham Boy every second. And then wanting to help him adjust and develop a little independence. It's a real adjustment, physcially and emotionally for you both!! Right now, I think you're both trying to absorb all that happened. I agree that there is nothing wrong with doing any and everything you need to, to make his day to day activities easier and more comfortable. And after all, you have ALWAYS showered him with love...no change there :)And talking to him in your usual loving way will probably let him know that "everything's ok." They do say dogs are very sensitive to OUR moods and tone of voice! Especially sadness. Just take it a day at a time. You're the best mom, and with your love, Graham's fantastic spirit, and a little healing time, we know he'll be whole and healthy again. All of our love to SUPER GRAHAM!!! You will be in all of our hearts and prayers, every day, as you recover sweet boy.

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

Phred
10-26-2001, 02:59 PM
Leslie ~ forgive us if we appear to be *ganging up* on you and your "tough love" attitude with poor Graham. But I also agree with the others that Graham needs some extra help and compassion for a few days to help him adjust and regain his confidence.

It might help to loan him a blanket or pillow, placed near you when you sit down in the living roon or den. Knowing he has a special place, near you and Hubby, will ease his anxiety when you must get up and move around the house. If you return often, if only to sit for a moment with him, he won't feel neglected or forgotten.

As for the pee and poddy problem ~ you need to solve that ASAP. Alone all day with no place to *go* will have him very upset AND plugged up :eek:! If he can't or won't go when you get home; call his Vet and ask for some suggestions. Until he gains some balance and learns a new technique, he'll need some help and physical support from "Mom" to get things done.

Smokey will hate me for this ~ He has a problem with his *aim* :rolleyes: when he goes *pee*... No matter which leg he hikes up, unless there's a pole or bush in the line of fire, he usually manages to *hose* down :o a front leg. Graham might have a similar problem :( in his predicament. Here's a thought:

Previous dog Shadow (Rainbow Bridge) broke a back toe **ouch** and had to wear a bandage wrap for several weeks. To keep it dry, she had to wear a baggie, held in place with a wrap of tape, whenever she went out in the damp or wet. You should consider a similar protective measure for Graham. Since you probably can't change his leg wrap or cast yourself, you'll need to help him protect it from getting wet from either the rain and snow, or his own *squirt-gun*. A pee-soaked cast will turn *stinkie* before you know it.

Give the little Trouper a {Hugg} and *Kiss* from all of us!

Phred
10-26-2001, 03:59 PM
Leslie ~ Some thoughts about your investigation into the circumstances surrounding Graham's fall off the porch ~

First; are you sure that Graham is "allowed" to reside in your apartment? Do the landlord and management company know and approve of his residence there? Be sure there are no hidden clauses in your lease that would allow them to force his or your relocation if they feel threatened by your inquiries about what happened. Do other tenants have dogs?

That said and considered; I'd start with the general manager - not the maintenance department. Ask some pointed questions:
Who entered the apartment? and WHEN?
Did he/they make any report to their superiors about what happened?
Why did they not assist Graham after he "fell", or at least notify someone that the dog needed help?
Why didn't they contact you or Hubby immediately?

It won't surprise me if the "official" story is that all was well, the dog was a happy camper, and was secured in the apartment when the maintenance crew left. I'd take time to interview All the Neighbors - in your building and across the street. Consider talking to the mailman and any other delivery people who might have seen something.

Depending upon what answers you receive; consider notifying the Police, local or county Humane Officer, or the local Animal Cruelty Agency. (Caution: be sure he has any required license tags before you call!) Tell them how long Graham has lived in the apartment, with access to the open porch, without previous incidents of "jumping over the railing". Insist on them recording the incident as a crime that you want them to investigate and then report back to you.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

And give Graham another round of {Huggs} and *Kisses* :D!

*LabLoverKEB*
10-26-2001, 08:12 PM
(I'm soooooooooo sorry I'm sooo late!) :o :o

OMG!!! Graham, I'm so so so sorry that you had such an awful accident! :( :( :( :( I really hope that you feel better very soon! I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers! ;) Get well soon, Graham! ;)

Hugs, and Kisses to Leslie, and Graham!

LabLover & Sadie*

Sudilar
10-26-2001, 08:20 PM
Good luck in your investigation.

When the Kill-Boy is sick, I always pamper him and treat him extra nice. Shiloh does, too. She sits by him and gives him kisses and brings him toys. Now I'm not sure if she is sympathetic or just glad that she gets all the food he doesn't eat..... Anyway, it seems (from what you said) that Graham doesn't really like too much sympathy! It also sounds like you are taking great care of him! I am just so glad that his leg is the only injury. It could have been so much worse... Sending the poor pup our love and prayers! Hang in there, Leslie. Keep us posted.

AdoreMyDogs
10-26-2001, 10:52 PM
First of all, I would like to tell you all that Graham is doing wonderfully. He is really learning how to "shuffle" that club leg that he has, and he has started lifting it up enough to go up curbs, small fallen branches that are in his path, and he even climbed 2 steps without tripping...he remembered to lift that club up enough to make it up the steps! Dogs are so resiliant, it amazes me. If only I were that way! I am the biggest baby when it comes to pain!

As for the investigation, it's still going on, as expected. I don't think I have any case on my hands because the day that it happened I was at the vet for the entire night with Graham. I did not get home until well after the offices closed, to have someone come and check out the evidence. I am pretty sure I know what happened, but like I said, I may have a hard time proving it. One of the maintanance guys (the ones that are not fond of dogs) came in and Graham stood there barking at them, so since they saw the balc. door already open, they coaxed (hopefully nicelly) him onto the balc then shut the sliding door behind him, locking him out there. Graham, not knowing what this person was planning on doing to "his house" frantically jumped off, in order to meet him at the front door. At that point they started to do the job of fixing my toilet when they perhaps heard noise, or they heard my baby yelp when he landed. They then went to the balc and the dog was not there, so they panicked, threw the balc door open so that it does not look suspicious, grabbed the tools and left. I leave both the screen door and the (heavy) sliding glass door open the same amount...about 14 inches. Just enough for Graham to get through. When I examined the "evidance" the heavy glass sliding door was open almost all the way, and this was before my hubby was home. Graham most certainlly did not slide that heavy glass door open, and leave the screen open the usual amount.

I am going to send a letter to the main coorperate office as soon as I am done compiling my evidence and I get it all into writing. The maintanance guys will still not call me back. For 2 days I left numerous messages and no call backs. That in itself is enough to make them suspects.

And as for the dog policy, actually I picked this apartment because it was the only one I could find which would allow dogs above 25 pounds. There are quite a few dogs here, and we are paying $25 extra per month for Graham to live here with us.

I have a pic for all of you. I assure you that Graham is happier then he looks. He's doing really so much better with this injury :) Thank you SO much, Jackie (JackiesDaisy), the outfit fits perfectly, actually better then the caterpiller costume! And Graham lookes SO handsome! He is thrilled to be wearing something more fitting for his personality, and more comfortable. We both really appreciate it. This pic was taken at my moms house tonight.
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/007/61/ab/It/wl20197.jpg

Goodnight my friends. Sleep tight.

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: AdoreMyDogs ]

Logan
10-26-2001, 11:02 PM
Graham, you are a Super Dog!!! :D And I mean that sincerely. I felt like it would just take him some time to get adjusted, Leslie, and then he would be ok getting around. So many dogs and cats live their lives on three legs.......but having the extra is probably harder. Bless his sweet heart. I don't think that boy could have a better mama to take care of him and love him. And we know you do!!

Night Graham and Leslie. You sleep well. :)

K9karen
10-26-2001, 11:06 PM
oh, Leslie, Leslie, Leslie! This is the first chance I've had to sit and catchup from home (I've been careful at work-reviews are do so I'm trying to kiss up :D)
I started to read about Graham but never had a chance to finish or reply. I am SO sorry, I feel so bad that this is so late.
I love, adore and cherish all our PT pooches, but I have to admit, I have a soft spot for Graham! His good nature, his looks, that smile, his adventures. Graham wouldn't hurt a fly. I wonder if he tried to escape from one of those nasty maintenence men. I wish Graham could talk too!
Poor sweet baby...I agree, he'll never complain about those booties again! Oh man! To see him so sad and hurting is so upsetting. :(
I know how you feel. When Cody had his ACL surgery the 1st time, I totally freaked. I was trying to be calm, but when he splattered on the tile floor at the hospital, I upset everyone with a scream. Poor Cody, he has a crazy, emotional owner.
The staff had to console me for 15 min. after they admitted him. I had to have a designated driver. Poor thing, like Graham had never been in a hospital over night, and believe me, I love my boy, but Graham he's not when it comes to socialization.
Anyway, altho the back leg is different, I'm sure from the front, it took Cody a day or 2 to adjust to squatting since he couldn't pee on 1 leg. I gently and carefully supported his bandaged leg. it was hard cause his other knee hadn't been operated on yet, so he had double trouble. But, believe me, they find a way. I was very surprised how Cody compensated. We kept him gated in our den, cause of steps, and I took 2 weeks vacation to care for him, slept on the couch, also massaged, kissed, snuggled, hugged and tried not to cry or pity him cause I too noticed a personality change. The nurse told ne labs are big babies anyway, and I don;'t have to tell you how that set me off!!!!! Here, I was miserable, but proud of him for being a trooper. Two knees and 6 months of lock up, but thankfully our den door leads outside with no steps.
I used the long plastic bag that newspapers come in to cover the cast (with a huge wide rubberband) just when he went out to avoid, as Phred says, the stinkies and lack of aim, and dirt.
My heart still breaks when I remember this episode, but I want to encourage you that Graham will be Okay. Even if the poor lamb has surgery, he's a trooper, and resilant and will bounce back for sure! Graham's not the kind to disappoint you either! He knows his job is to get better and smile again!!!
There's not a doubt in my mind that precious boy will be back at agility in no time!!!!! With all our prayers and love for you and Graham, what other outcome would there be? Hey, the love force is with you both!
And E-x-c-u-s-e me... I am Graham's #1 fan!!!!!!!! ( :D ) Lots of love from the Israel house!

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: K9karen ]

K9karen
10-26-2001, 11:15 PM
How funny :D While i was busy yapping, you posted a fabulous pic of our Super Dog!!! And a uplifting follow-up!!! YAYAYAYAYAY!!
Who loves ya baby??? :eek: Goodnight all..Get a good night's sleep.....xoxoxoxoxox

Karen
10-26-2001, 11:34 PM
Soon I bet you'll hear the distinctive candance I will never forget from when I was a very little firl - our Sheba (smartest best dog a girl ever had) got rolled by a truck on the bad corner near our house, and injured a back leg. She had a cast, and was pretty pathetic at first, but then learned to maneuver with it just fine. All around the house we'd hear:

Click, click, click THUMP

When she finally got the cast off, it was strange, I think we all listened for the THUMP part for a few days!

By the way, from that day on, Sheba was a great example for all children - she'd stop by the side of the road and look both ways, quite deliberately, before she crossed.

Good luck, golden Graham!

shais_mom
10-27-2001, 01:04 AM
I just wanted to say how happy I am that Graham is really ok cept for the cast!! He looks like a real hero in his outfit!! I just love it!!
Keep it up Graham, we are pulling for you!!!

tatsxxx11
10-27-2001, 05:16 AM
Oh Graham, you're coming around with flying colors, and cape! Now THAT'S an outfit that suits you to a "T"!! :) Graham, SUPER DOG!!!! SUPER HERO!!!!!! What a wonderful way to greet the morning. Our beloved Graham is on the mend! Yippeeee!!!

Dixieland Dancer
10-27-2001, 05:38 AM
I liked Graham in his catapiller outfit but this costume is definitely more appropriate for such a strong and handsome boy! He surely is a Super Man and now the rest of the world will know it too!

How anyone could hurt such a great pup is beyond me??? :confused: All I can say is the maintenance man is a poor excuse for a human being! :mad:

Pam
10-27-2001, 06:39 AM
Look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane it's SUPER GRAHAM!!! :D Now Graham that costume fits your personality so much better than the caterpillar getup that your mom had on you before. You are one handsome dude even with that heavy burdensome thingie on your leg. We are all rooting for you to feel better each day and adapt to that contraption quickly and we know you will. You are our hero Graham!! (Bella thinks you are a jock! :D) Can't wait to see you flash that big smile again when this is all over and done with. Leslie, the whole thing just makes me sick. Maybe eventually the truth will come out. I would be living with a pit in my stomach just worrying what had gone on. Good luck on the investigation and thanks for posting this super picture!!

RachelJ
10-27-2001, 07:26 AM
K9Karen, I don't think so!

Leslie, Graham wanted to be SuperDog for Halloween, right. Maybe THAT explains the leap off the balcony? Thanks for the update. We want to know every detail. Karen's idea of using the plastic bags from the newspapers sounds like a great one. Do you have his food and water bowl elevated? This is so helpful for even an arthritic dog, and I would think in Graham's situation it would make eating and drinking less of a challenge.

Graham will make it through this and YOU will too. It's so scary for the both of you, but as each day passes you will develop strategies for making the process of recovery at little easier. And at least it is the weekend so you and your husband can have an opportunity to catch your breath from the whammy of having this happen.
Personally, I wouldn't spend a lot of energy on tracking down the bad guys. It could have been an innocent mistake, and some very poor judgement. When this happened, how it happened, why they didn't call you. Did they know that Graham was injured? All those things are not going to change what happened to Graham. You have already made the decision that can change something. No one comes into the apartment unless you are there and keep the door to the balcony closed. If the maintenance men don't like dogs, you don't want to have them get defensive and have it in for one particular dog, if you get my drift. Asking if anyone knows what happened is okay, but I would try not to make it sound accusatory. And remember, your star witness can't testify.

Hannah says she's got lots of kisses for her hero and Tucker says to tell Graham, "You the Dog!" Now go whip up that very special carrot cake for our boy, okay?

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

lizbud
10-27-2001, 10:00 AM
Leslie,
Thanks for posting the pic of Graham,he looks Great in his Superdog costume !!!
Just wanted to say that I think you are a
Super Momma to Graham (no question about it)
If you ever need any legal advice (free),
just let me know.My daughter just accepted
a position at a Chicago law firm (They made
her an offer she couldn't refuse;considering
her school loans are all due).She has two
dogs of her own and has always lived in
apartment settings with them while she was
in school.She has experienced some unsettling
things concerning her doggies,but nothing
as serious as Graham's (accident?)
I know you are concentrating on helping
Graham right now,but the thought of some
creep working in your complex is not a very
comforting thought. If anything can be done
to help legally, please let me know.
Love & prayers from Buddy & Liz.

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: lizbud ]

jackiesdaisy1935
10-27-2001, 10:08 AM
Graham, Perry says :cool: Dude. Daisy liked the butterfly outfit, but I'm sure glad you decided to be the Super Guy, looks more macho.
Leslie, I'm so happy Graham is getting used to his cast and doing much better. I couldn't believe what happened to our sweet, laughing Graham. Give him a hug and a kiss from all of us and he looks just like Super Dog, it fits his personality well.
Jackie

Albea
10-27-2001, 12:28 PM
TO GRAHAM THE SUPER PUP: You look so handsome in your outfit!!! Any time now you'll be flying around the neighborhood, to show off your costume, with a fully mended leg ;) Even now, I can see you are feeling well enough to post messages to your pal Perry :D Good for you! Just don't eat too many treats on Halloween or you'll get something else for your mom to worry about. Carina and I send many hugs.

TheAntiPam
10-27-2001, 07:10 PM
Dear Sweet Graham, I'm sorry to be so late sending good wishes and health-filled hugs for you. So much has already been said by our PetTalk friends that I can't add much. I am flummoxed (wooo, big word! ;) ) at how someone can be so stupid and hurtful to another creature.

You have the perfect costume to reflect your big heart full of strength and love. I sure can understand why your mom was so distraught over your injury and pain. Both of you should remember that tomorrow will be better than today - time does heal - at least the physical part of injury.

We can't wait to hear the next report on how you are feeling - and on how your family is coping with this tough time. Keep on being brave, Graham, and keep on smiling! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Iditarodfan
10-27-2001, 11:58 PM
Leslie & Graham, "hi". :) Wow, what loving posts and caring suggestions. Phred your advise about the apt. & maintenence men was good. Hard to believe someone wouldn't notify you if and when Graham jumped! :eek: How could he just leave Graham hurting like that. :mad: Rachel you're such a sweetie. And Jackie what a super costume. Graham looks so much better than the first night home. I do believe Leslie, that you & Graham are sooooo bonded that he might very well be in tune to your moods. So, yes, I agree be up, don't pity, but do help. You two will make it through these days with flying colors. Like K9 says, "you have LOVE POWER!
Love, prayers, smooches, & hugs, bea & molly

Angels3
10-28-2001, 12:30 AM
Leslie & Graham, you are both SUPER the way you've coped with a horrible, horrible situation. Good on you for investigating what happened. Perhaps if certain 'visitors' to your apartment had acted more sensibly, Graham would not have suffered harm.
I understand that Graham has suffered a serious & painful injury, but thank goodness he is still with us. ( And looking so brave with his big cast.)
Friends in Sydney lost their beloved Cavalier Spaniel, Byron. He fell from the balcony of their house but did not survive.
Hugs & cuddles (very gentle ones) to Graham from his friends & fans in Australia.

Daisy's Mom
10-28-2001, 12:40 AM
Awwwww Graham even with your cast you look so handsome! You truly are a super dog! I knew you'd get used to that cast. I'll bet that in less than a week you are going to be able to get around fine on it. You can do it, Graham boy!

tatsxxx11
10-28-2001, 07:32 AM
Angels, so sorry to her about Byron. I too had a friend who lost her baby Yorkie "Sprocket" when he slipped through the rails of a deck and fell. He did not survive. :(

And Graham....How are you doing today Super Graham! Are you sure you haven't been modeling in your costume???? No, you're much more handsome and "super!" Hope you're better yet today, brave boy! Love to you from all of us!

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/019/xc/lC/Rc/fA87728.jpg

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

AdoreMyDogs
10-28-2001, 10:08 AM
goomornin my frends. this is Graham. i wanted to tell you that i am doing OK. i kant run anymoor but mom tells me i will be able to some day. its ok cause i dont wanna anyway, my leg hurtz.

mom is such a nut. she an granma rote stuff on my kast with a stinky stick, now the stuff that she rote wont come off even if my kast is wet. she took piktures with her flashbox of all the goofy stuff she and granma rote on my kast.

i hope you all have a good day. i love you and i am so glad that i have so many frens here. http://wsphotofews.excite.com/002/a3/Zk/Ze/jJ44188.jpg

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/009/nb/ex/l7/jY67322.jpg

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: AdoreMyDogs ]

Sudilar
10-28-2001, 10:43 AM
Graham, you are just sooooooo cute!!

RachelJ
10-28-2001, 11:39 AM
Graham, it's me, Hannah! Just thinkin 'bout you and how your leg hurts made my leg hurt too. Mom says I'm limping a little bit.
I just thought I would send you this picture to remind you of our happy days together. See how our paws were almost touching! I love you, Graham. There, I said it for all to see. You are my big strong guy, and I know you are going to be okay. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=167892&a=13054657&p=49273880

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

Pam
10-28-2001, 04:10 PM
Oh Graham people wrote such nice things to you on your cast. I like the one your grandmom wrote about you thinkin' you could fly. Just because you got that Superman costume now, don't try it OK? I wish I knew how to write but I don't. If I lived closer I would put my paw print on your cast. Sometimes after I have been digging in the mud I can make good ones! ;) Anyway, just wanted to say hi and tell you how cool you look with that cast. Hope you are feelin' a little better. Love, Bella

lizbud
10-28-2001, 06:32 PM
Graham,
Hope you are feeling a little better today
little Pal!!! Pretty snazzy cast, with all
that neat writin on it.. Buddy.

Logan
10-28-2001, 06:50 PM
Graham, we think you are a "stunning Super Dog", cast and all. We're sorta thinkin that you might get lots of enjoyment out of this recuperation thing. I know it hurts, but if your mommy is giving you extra love, talkin to you even more than normal, givin you treats and neat Halloween costumes to wear...maybe it isn't so bad after all. At least now that you've gotten used to doin your business with that extra long leg. :o

Well, anyway, we think you are a SUPER DOG everyday, but especially now, and we loved seeing your picture with Hannah and Tucker again.... Isn't it fun to meet some our mom's friends??? We have had so much fun doin that too! :)

Get well soon, Graham. WE love you.

Honey and Lilly

jackiesdaisy1935
10-28-2001, 08:02 PM
Hi Graham, your looking good, hope you aren't hurting too much. We sure like that cast you have on with all the writing. Bet you are getting lots of kisses and lovin right now. Hope you feel better.
Love
Daisy and Perry

Angels3
10-28-2001, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11:
<STRONG>Angels, so sorry to her about Byron. I too had a friend who lost her baby Yorkie "Sprocket" when he slipped through the rails of a deck and fell. He did not survive. :(

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]</STRONG>

I'm so sorry about Sprocket. What a cute name for a tiny dog.

All this is making me very aware of how I might dog-proof the balcony to prevent the dogs falling.
Byron's family thought they had the railings blocked off by heavy pots containing plants. But somehow little Byron managed to push thro' them.

K9karen
10-28-2001, 10:57 PM
Yeah, yeah Rach, Just cause you have pretty pictures and MET our Honey-Graham-Cracker, you don't have to RUB it it ya know.... I am his #1 fan from GLENSIDE and don't you forget it!! :mad: (hehehe)
With THAT made perfectly clear :D .. I just scritched Graham's sweet, adorable belly and planted a big one right on his nose! I signed his cast with secret, invisible GLENSIDE ink (RachelJ!!!)SO THERE!
But hey! Thanx for the compliemt about the newspapers bags...DUH! I sometimes come up with good ideas! They're long, sronger and the tape or rubber band (easier) doesn't hurt them thru the cast! Nuttins too good for Graham!!
OOps, I must kiss Cody now so he doesn't get jealous, but try to smile soon, cause it's gonna be OKKKKK!!!!! :D xoxoxoxoxoxo

purrley
10-29-2001, 10:46 AM
Hey how's the sweet Graham Cracker today. Thought about you sweetie all weekend and looks like you're coming along just fine getting used to your new temporary leg. Thinking of you today!!!!

RachelJ
10-29-2001, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by K9karen:
<STRONG>Yeah, yeah Rach, Just cause you have pretty pictures and MET our Honey-Graham-Cracker, you don't have to RUB it it ya know....</STRONG>

That was Hannah, not me! I think she was trying to send a message to the other pretty girls who have http://plauder-smilies.com/love/pinklove2.gif for Graham. :D :D

tatsxxx11
10-29-2001, 02:33 PM
Hi SuperGraham! How are you doing bud?? Wanted to tell you how sweet your autographed cast is. So many friends and admirers!! I know Star would die for the privilege of leaving her paw print on your badge of courage! :) Sure do hope it's getting easier and easier for you to maneuver with your crutch on! I'll bet all that fantastic agility talent of yours is coming in handy. Take it easy now! We're thinking of you always! Lots of love to you sweet boy; and kisses!!

tatsxxx11
10-29-2001, 03:56 PM
Leslie, I know how overwhelmed you are right now. But I was wondering how the little kitty Oliver was doing? Almost afraid to ask, but hoping for the best.

AdoreMyDogs
10-29-2001, 07:55 PM
Oh my gosh, I forgot to ask her :( Gosh I feel terrible! I have been focusing all of my energy on my precious baby. She actually found out this weekend if the cancer has metastisized too much to be treated. I will let you know either tomorrow or Wednesday. She loves that kitty so much, he is her baby and he's just a baby himself. I am afraid to ask her how he is too from fear of what the outcome might be :(

As for the cast, he is getting along better and better every day. And I wish I had my camera with me on our walk out to potty this afternoon, he actually smiled again! It was the first time since the accident. He occationally will pant, but his pants are so much different then his actual smile, and he smiled this afternoon for me :) It was proof that he's going to be OK. I thank God that he did not have the horrible fate of Byron and Sprocket. That would have been horrible beyond belief. I am so sorry for those pups, and those poor owners. It was truly a blessing that Graham landed like he did...on his feet. He may require surgery, and he may have arthritis in that joint, but he will be by my side for many more years to come. That is such a blessing to me.

Thank you so much for all the good wishes. And thank you all for the cards. It makes my day when I see how much you all care about me and my Graham. Next week we will probablly find out for sure if Graham needs surgery when he goes in for his bandage change and his x-rays. I think until then I will be very nervous, but if by chance he will not need surgery, they will re-bandage him and he will be on the road to recovery.

Graham wants to thank you all too. He is sitting by me now watching my fingers tap on the keyboard :) He says, "thank ya, Hannah my favrit girliefren ever for postin that piktur on the puter for eferyone to see. we tried to look all not inarested in each other but when you see our paws you can see that we were both had the loves for one another :) you gave me such special memries. i so much wanna go an see you an tucker agen. that was the bestest trip ever. your mom was SO nise too. i miss her. she an your daddy are special hoomans, you an tucker are luky. all of the pups and kitties here have good moms n pops but i was able to see first paw how special hoomins here are. i love all a ya bunches. gnite.

It's Leslie again...Graham went to his nest for some shuteye. I'll update you on any progress, and I will let you know how Oliver is doing once I find out...gosh I hope it's good news.

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: AdoreMyDogs ]

karen israel
10-30-2001, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by RachelJ:
<STRONG>

That was Hannah, not me! I think she was trying to send a message to the other pretty girls who have http://plauder-smilies.com/love/pinklove2.gif for Graham. :D :D</STRONG>

Ok, so I'm a skin-person,,thx for the compliment!! hahahahahah!!

ilovehounds
10-30-2001, 01:02 PM
Oh Grahm I just now read this post :( sorry a little behind on the times :)

Im so sorry this had to happen to my fave boy here at pet talk. I know that you will be back to the Amazing Graham in no time.

I bet extra treats will make all the pain go away :D thats what us hound dogs tell mom and it works everytime.

KYS
10-30-2001, 09:49 PM
Ahhh! The picture of SuperGraham is
so adorable. Poor baby with his cast
on. :(
I would never let anybody from maintance
in after this, unless someone is there
watching. Keep us informed what happens.
And plenty of good healing wishes for
our Superman Graham.

TollSettFK
10-31-2001, 06:05 AM
I'll be praying for Grahm!

RachelJ
11-01-2001, 11:36 AM
This is Hannah, just wanted to point out to all you pretty girls out their what Graham said bout ME . Read it and weep!

<STRONG> Hannah my favrit girliefren ever </STRONG>

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

thelmalu99
11-01-2001, 01:00 PM
Hey Graham, how are you feeling, Sweetie? Hope you're up and around again real soon. We all love ya,
Thelma, Yertle,
Elvis and Danny
;)

zippy-kat
11-01-2001, 01:09 PM
I chatted with my Mom last night and told her all about Graham and his smile and accident, and then sent her to the DOTD link. She was so astounded that someone would do that to him! She said to send her hugs, love, kisses, and get well wishes to you lil' Graham!

tatsxxx11
11-01-2001, 02:18 PM
Just checkin in Graham Man! How you doin today friend? Thinkin bout you! Lovin ya lots...Star and Cody

sammi
11-01-2001, 03:01 PM
Hope Graham is doing good today. Such an ordeal for both you and Graham. Will continue to keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

AdoreMyDogs
11-01-2001, 03:13 PM
Hi everbody. im doin purty good today, just kinda chillin and not doin much. since i kant run or play (doctors orders) mom buyed me some bonez to krunchie up anna releeve any bordom i mite have. i like dat! makes my toofies white too, and mom sez it makes my breeth better...but that means i get more kisses.

i'm doin purty good wit keepin dad exerzized. mom letz me walk up the stares all by myselfs now, she just karries me down now...but when dad takes me out i akt as pittiful as i kan, and when he goes up da stares anna calls me i sit atta bottom holdin my kast up so he kan see it and he feels sorry for me anna he goes down to karry me up :) it's fun being waated on :)

i skared mom yesterday by tryin to jump over the baby gate that she put inna kitchen when i got my raw bone to chew on, so i woodnt get "dead annimal joose" on da karpet. mom was inna office typin away and when i was done wit my bone, i tried to save her the work and let myself out by tryin to hop over the gate. hey, im an agility dog, i kan do it! mom kame running out of the office anna made a big ol fuss over me and she kalled the whitecoats again when i didnt put any wate on my kast again...she kept telling me that i hafta think 'for i do stuff. i dont no wat she meens...i thought, "i wanna get out of da kitchen and into da livin room so im gonna jump this pesky gate". an she tells me i haf ta think for i do stuff!!! the nerve!

anyway, that lil agility trik may have hurt me agan...mom sez we'll find out in 6 days if i hafta get sir jury.

tatsxxx11
11-02-2001, 05:10 PM
Now, we know you are the SUPER Graham. But even you sweetie cannot perform agility until your cast is off and all is healed!! Now, don't go making your mom all nervous! Just demands lots more bonz and krunchies to keep you busy. :) Glad to hear you're on the mend boy. And I hope you didn't hurt anything when your made your leap of faith!!! Have a quiet weekend sweet Graham, and rest if you can, AND listen to your mom!!

lizbud
11-02-2001, 06:46 PM
Graham buddy,
Must be feeling some better huh? Jumping
gates right now is a No-No.I saw your pics
when you were clearing those BIG gates with
no problem at all, but for now, better listen
to Momma and just CHILL..
Love and Best Wishes from Bubby & Liz.

Sudilar
11-02-2001, 08:08 PM
Oh no! Don't go jumpin' yet! I hope ya didn't hurt yourself!!! Just sit quietly and mend (Yah, right, tell that to a dancin' agility dog)! Please take it easy, Graham, til you heal up, though. Get well quick!

RachelJ
11-02-2001, 08:22 PM
Yeah, Graham, we don't want you to bust up your leg any more. You got to take it real easy, guy, so you don't have to have an operation. Just enjoy the tender loving care and chomping on those big ole bones Mom got for you. (Did she make you any of those carrot cakes yet?).

sammi
11-02-2001, 09:56 PM
Listen to your mom this weekend! No more jumping til ya get all healed! Just enjoy all the loven that you get.

AdoreMyDogs
11-06-2001, 06:43 PM
I have to drop Graham off at the vet tomorrow morning for his bandage change and his follow up xray. I am nervous. I find out tomorrow if Graham needs a plate surgically put into his leg :(

If his leg has not popped out of place, then I think we are on the road to recovery, but he will have to have the cast for another 6 weeks unless Doc. thinks he can get it off a bit early.

Is there any room in your prayers tonight for Graham's big follow up appointment tomorrow? I will be praying, I sure don't want him to have to have surgery. If you have room in your prayers, I would LOVE some prayers and positive thoughts. I believe in the power of prayer.

Thanks my friends.

P.S. finally he smiles again...
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/008/GF/U9/zp/MR22610.jpg

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: AdoreMyDogs ]

Logan
11-06-2001, 07:10 PM
There's our Graham!!!! Smile, smile, smile :D :D :D !!!
Good luck tomorrow, Graham....our prayers are with you. :)

auggie
11-06-2001, 07:25 PM
I just love Graham's beautiful smiling Face.
Our prayers are with you, sweet Boy.

Sudilar
11-06-2001, 09:43 PM
Graham has the best smile around!!!!!! I just love it!!! Graham, you have our intense prayers for good results tomorrow. Good luck, Smilie!!!!!

Phred
11-06-2001, 09:55 PM
Hey Graham ~ Be sure to *smile* :D at the White Coats tomorrow!

That may help with a positive diagnosis!

Cinder & Smokey will keep the Pawz crossed for you! Good :) Luck!

kobieeli
11-07-2001, 12:16 AM
That smile of Graham's just absolutely busts me up every time I see it!!! :D

Good luck with the white coats tomorrow, SuperDog!

sammi
11-07-2001, 03:35 AM
Couldn't sleep so got up to have a snack and check things out. I will say a prayer for Graham B/4 I go back to bed. And will think real positive thoughts for the smiling boy. The power of prayer really does work. ;)

purrley
11-07-2001, 06:46 AM
Graham - you're gonna be OK sweet thing - after all with a smile like that how can you not - be thinking of you and praying for the bestest for you!!!!! :)

tatsxxx11
11-07-2001, 06:53 AM
How wonderful to see your big, beautiful smile again Graham :) We are all rooting for you sweetie and hoping that you won't be needing sir jury. We're all sending you our prayers Graham. We love you :)

RachelJ
11-07-2001, 07:44 AM
There is that smile, oh, kiss, kiss, kiss that precious face. Good luck on your appointment today, Graham. We are sure hoping that you are healing well and do not have to see Sir Jury. We will be waiting to hear the report from your vet.

lizbud
11-07-2001, 08:35 AM
LOVE YA GRAHAM !! BEST OF LUCK TODAY !!
All Good thoughts and Prayers for a good
positive check up today baby...

AdoreMyDogs
11-07-2001, 08:38 AM
Doc just called :( Not good news I am afraid :( His dislocation is so severe and the splint has not done it's job of keeping everything in place, so Graham has to go to an orthapedic surgeon for a second opinion. Graham's vet said that it is so severe that he needs a specialist :(

What a blow. I am just so sickened that he jumped off the balcony. This is turning out to be a terrible time. He would have been better off if he broke his leg :( Oh well, I guess i'll just have to live with this. Feeling really bummed out and scared now.

Phred
11-07-2001, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs:
<STRONG>...Graham has to go to an orthapedic surgeon for a second opinion... Feeling really bummed out and scared now.</STRONG>

Hang in there, Mom! There's no reason to think that Graham won't make a full recovery after the surgery. When is his appointment with the Specialist?

All his Dawg Pals and TwoLegger Fans will just have to keep the pawz and fingers crossed a little longer :(. Keep SMILING :), Graham ~ We're ALL rooting for ya, Pal :D!

3-greys-and-a-mutt
11-07-2001, 09:24 AM
Keep your chin up Leslie! It may take more discomfort, time, and money to get fixed than you would have hoped, but Graham is still the same sweet boy!
Don't feel scared! Graham may be broken on the outside, but he's still all there on the inside! Just because he has to see a specialist doesn't mean the situation is hopeless. The specialist may be able to put him all back together again, and Graham may be Rockin' and Rollin' with you again in no time! And, even if not, he is always the same sweet Graham, and you will just have to do different things with him to keep him healthy, fit, and energized. He may be uncomfortable and in some pain, but he is tough and can roll with the punches - that grin is proof of that!
Don't despair... there's always hope! :)
(Don't get me wrong, I am mad at the fates that would allow such a sweet baby to get any owies. :mad: )

purrley
11-07-2001, 10:37 AM
So sorry to hear that precious Graham will need a bit more recovery than expected. I know everything will turn out OK in the long run - he's such a sweet boy - wish you could turn some of the bill over to your Maintenance people - did you make any headway on determining exactly who is responsible for this? Anyway - take care Leslie - sounds like your boy is in good hands.

Dixieland Dancer
11-07-2001, 11:16 AM
Leslie, I am sorry to hear Graham needs to see the specialist. Hopefully he will fixed and back to his great old self soon. :cool:

wolflady
11-07-2001, 11:29 AM
Leslie, so sorry about your sweetie pie Graham!! I'm sure he'll make a great recovery. Give him lots and lots of love (which I know you do! :D ) and he'll get better in no time at all :D I was just thinking the same thing as Purrley, did you find out what illicited his jump from the balcony?? Poor sweet guy. Lots of hugs to you and Graham!

sammi
11-07-2001, 12:27 PM
Maybe the specialist isn't so bad. He might know just what the problem is and will be able to fix it. Sorry you both have to go through this.

Rottie
11-07-2001, 02:45 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that about Graham. He'll recover though, he has to! :)

tatsxxx11
11-07-2001, 06:04 PM
Dear Graham. Sorry the news wasn't as good as hoped for. But NOT TO WORRY!!! I think the consult with the ortho. specialist is a very good idea. They know best and will certainly help you and your mom make the right decision to get you up and going a.s.a.p!! Now, Graham, we fix these kinda things every day for us humans. And I know, although it may take a while longer, that very soon you will be fixed up as good as new! Hang in there sweet Graham. We love you SO much and we're all sending you our best wishes and prayers. And Leslie, I know you're really bummed right now. But have faith that the specialists will know just the right thing to do to get our favorite boy up and about very soon. Give Graham all my love and big hugs. And make sure you get plenty too! Love you guys. Sandra, Cody and Star

RachelJ
11-07-2001, 06:20 PM
Oh, Leslie, I am so sorry that Graham will have to go through more procedures, but you do want it to be done right and not something that will cause him problems the rest of his life. If this is what it is going to take, then it is what he needs. I guess ever since I read Rottie's first post, I was kind of afraid that this would be the outcome. Don't let this overwhelm you. Graham will see it through and so will you, just like always. It will be okay.

[ November 07, 2001: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

Daisy's Mom
11-07-2001, 07:08 PM
Oh Graham I am so sorry that the news wasn't as good as we'd hoped. But you keep that fuzzy chin of yours up! A specialist is just going to help you feel better. You just keep that beautiful smile on your handsome face and let the White Coat and your brave, strong Mommy deal with all the technical stuff!

Pam
11-07-2001, 07:19 PM
Leslie I'm so sorry the news wasn't good. I guess the positive thing here is that it wasn't any more serious than a hurt leg. A fall like that could have done so much more to your precious baby. When bad things happen I always like to have the mindset that "it could have been worse" and then I am able to be more thankful for the present situation I find myself in. Today there is so much that can be done for dogs and people as well in all areas of medicine. I know that in time Graham will be his old self again, but what a shame that he has to go through all of this and I am sure it is going to be expensive. :( We are here rooting for Graham and always available to lend a sympathetic ear to his very worried mommy. Hang in there.

Iditarodfan
11-08-2001, 08:39 AM
Leslie,a veterinarian specialist is just what Graham needs. GO FOR IT! When Molly got glaucoma it was an opthamalogist vet. who saved her one eye. He also did a procedure so that the other eye didn't have to be removed or sewn shut. Graham will be in Good hands. We will keep our fingers & paws crossed. You and Graham are not alone. We are all pulling for you both. Stay strong Mom. Scratches behing the ear for Graham.

Stenograsaurus
11-08-2001, 05:06 PM
Oh, Leslie, I am so sorry that the news was not better. I know it's scary to hear the words "needs to see a specialist". We always think that it's so bad. I hope you take some comfort in knowing that a specialist usually specializes in one thing. They know what they're doing and they're good at it. I will keep sweet Graham in my prayers and hope everything turns out fine.

Albea
11-08-2001, 05:36 PM
Poor sweet Graham :( I'm so sorry his leg did not heal with the cast. But the specialist (and our prayers) will make him well in no time. Hang in there both of you. You know you have our love and support to help you through this bad experience. When are you going to see the orthopedic surgeon?

Sudilar
11-08-2001, 07:37 PM
So very sorry about the news. I know how discouraging things can be when our pups are sick or hurt. I know how you feel. Don't give up hope. Graham will get better. My prayers are with you and Graham.

KYS
11-08-2001, 07:51 PM
Sorry to hear about Graham,
but he will be in good hands with
the Ortho Specialist.
Let us know what happens.

Wishing Graham the very best.

AdoreMyDogs
11-09-2001, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Albea:
<STRONG>You know you have our love and support to help you through this bad experience. When are you going to see the orthopedic surgeon?</STRONG>

Thank you so much everyone. I am trying to help Graham as much as I can, but he keeps doing not so smart stuff. He jumped the baby fence again :mad: ...so now he is crated during the day and when I can't watch him. I am beginning to wish I had never put him through agility, because he seemes to have very little common sence when it comes to his limits. He learns tricks and obedience and agility quickly, but he seems to not know right from wrong. It's frustrating. He's miserable in his crate. He has not been in a crate since I first got him (with exception to when I would take him to our performance shows). He has seperation anxiety when he is locked in his crate, but I am so fed up with him doing dumb stuff and hurting himself. Depending on the outcome of the ortho surgeon appointment, I will maybe lock Graham in a room so he does not have to be in his crate.

His appointment with the ortho surgeon specialist is tomorrow (Saturday) and I will let you all know how that goes. I know it's going to be very expensive, but as long as Graham dosen't mess up the work that the doc does by pulling any more foolish stunts, I don't mind paying. Graham is worth it. Even thought he is making me worry beyond belief, he's still my best friend :)

Logan
11-09-2001, 10:00 AM
Oh, Leslie, I had no idea!! :( I was gone for a couple of days, and if you hadn't responded this morning, no telling when I would have seen the most recent news on Graham.

I hope you can get some good indications from the specialist tomorrow. I know you are worried, but something tells me that your baby is going to be just fine.

Chin up!! Kiss Graham for me too! :D

lizbud
11-09-2001, 07:41 PM
AdoreMyDogs,
I am so very sorry that Graham's injury will
require more treatment before he's better.
Maybe you could ask the Vet Specialist of
a better way to keep Graham "confined" until
his healing can start.I ended up tieing two
leashes together and anchoring Buddy to the
dining room table to keep him from roaming
the house when I was not home.Using the baby gate in the kitchen or shutting him up in the bedroom, would have made him miserable.

Graham & Family are in my thoughts and
prayers.Please give him a hug from me & Bud.

Sudilar
11-09-2001, 11:02 PM
Good luck at the vet and please let us know what he thinks. Get better, Graham!

RachelJ
11-10-2001, 06:14 AM
A special prayer this morning and our thoughts are with Graham as he has his appointment with his specialist. Don't be downhearted, Mom, Graham is going to get the expert care he needs so you both can live your lives to the fullest. I know this hasn't been easy but eventually this ordeal will be but a thing of the past.

jackiesdaisy1935
11-10-2001, 09:33 AM
Oh Leslie, I just caught up with this post, I am so sorry to hear the bad news about Graham. I know how hard it has been for you and Graham, you trying to keep him quiet and him frustrated because he couldn't do what he wanted to do. I will be so anxious to hear what the Specialist says. We will think positive thoughts and say a little prayer for Graham and you. He gets hugs and kisses from Perry, Daisy and me and some for you too.
Jackie

sammi
11-10-2001, 09:53 AM
Special vibes for our Graham today. :) ;) :)

tatsxxx11
11-10-2001, 12:17 PM
Hang in there Graham and Leslie. Can't wait to hear what the specialist said. We are praying SO hard that you come home with some encouraging news. Try not to get discouraged Leslie, what with all of Graham's antics. :( After all, he is SUPER GRAHAM and is just doing what comes naturally to him! I know how frustrated you must feel, doing your best to help him get well. Remember, we're all here to support you and offer any suggestions that might be helpful! Love ya, Graham

AdoreMyDogs
11-10-2001, 12:48 PM
An update:

The Orthopedic surgeon specialist was wonderful. A very caring, dear man. He gave me few options for Graham, we could either try to keep splinting him, which is obviously not working, or we could do the surgery. The surgery is the only option, because his leg is in very bad pain and it will not stay alligned.

First of all, the injury is in his "ankle" or their technical term is a carpal hyperextention injury. The surgery is what they call carpal arthrodesis which means they are going to fuse together his bones, ligaments, muscles in that ankle. The bad news is that he will never be able to move that joint again, it is permenantely going to be straight and he will not be able to bend it for the rest of his life. Doc said that dogs really adjust well to the change in their ability to move, and that his gate will be slightly different, but not so bad that he makes people do a double take when they see him walking.

Bad news:

·Agility is over with for good. I have already called his agility school, and through tears, said my goodbyes.

·He will never be able to jump more then half of his height again.

·He will have to learn to maneuver with a permanently stiff leg.

.It is a very long recovery.

·And of all the joints that he could have dislocated, this is the most complicated and complex to fuse together (not to mention, the most expensive)

Good news:

·Of all the joints that he could have dislocated, this is the easiest for Graham to adjust to the fusing of his bones. Dogs do not bend that ankle joint nearly as much as they bend (and need to bend) all of the other joints.

·Graham will heal.

·Graham will not lose his leg.

·We have our house savings to help with the cost. Without our house savings I don’t know what we would do…we just don’t make that much money to pay for this surgery.

I am not complaining, Graham is worth every penny in the world, but with the 3 vet appointments that I have had sofar, the cost has been $800, and when they gave me the quote for the surgery I was shocked. I expected it to be around $1000 or $1500 tops....I was wrong :( They gave me a worst case scenario. Worst case scenario will be a total of $3700 for the surgery, and best case scenario is $2200 for the surgery, and they need an $1800 deposit on surgical drop off, with the rest due at pick up. If I did not have my house savings, I don't know what I would do. That is a huge sum of money, and it's all due so soon. I wouldn't have any way to raise that amount. As much as I hate to take out our already small house savings, my God am I happy that I had it.

Graham is going to have his surgery this coming Friday. He will be at the hospital for at least an over night stay. He will have his leg in a cast for 8-12 more weeks, and he will have 1-2 extra incesions for a bone graph needed for the surgery.

I will update you on his post surgery healing. Graham and I thank you for your prayers, and we both love you all bunches.

sammi
11-10-2001, 01:29 PM
WELL GANG WHAT DO YOU THINK- CAN WE HELP HER & GRAHAM OUT? If AdoreMyDogs has a legitimate add. for her vets office and anyone wanted to send (even a couple of bucks) to be put on Grahams bill we could help her out that way. I would be willing to send a few dollars to the vets. office - if you guys think its a good idea and of course AdoreMyDogs would approve.

Corinna
11-10-2001, 02:13 PM
Where do we send the help?
I'm so glad he can be helped.

KYS
11-10-2001, 03:23 PM
I know this is to late for
Graham, but for everyone else, you might consider looking into doggie insurance.

I will be thinking many good thoughts
for Graham that he will be as good as new, even though he will not be able
to jump around and compete in Agility.

Good thoughts and prayers.

jackiesdaisy1935
11-10-2001, 04:01 PM
Oh Leslie, I know how disappointed you are for Graham to not be able to do the agility, but he is so much more important to you as a best friend and you love him so much just as he loves you. Perhaps when he is well he could be a companion dog and visit children and older people in hospitals, he would be a hit with his great smile. The important thing is that he will be O.K. and be able to walk etc. and have a happy life.
I agree, where do we send the help?
Jackie

tatsxxx11
11-10-2001, 04:35 PM
Leslie, I'm so sorry and sad that Graham will no longer be able to participate in agility :( I know how special a thing it was for you and he to share. But the GOOD news is, he will heal. :) And nothing can ever take from him his beautiful spirit, his love for life, his beautiful smile or his love for you.. Leslie, please give us the opportunity to help you and Graham. A big part of being a really good friend is having the ability to accept help and support as well as to give it. So please, let us help you and Graham, OK? And although it is too late now, I agree with KYS. Look into health insurance for Graham. There are some really great plans out there with extensive coverage at a low rate. Tell Graham we love him and are so proud of him. We're here for you Leslie.

[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

AdoreMyDogs
11-10-2001, 06:57 PM
Thank you everyone for offering to help pay for this expensive surgery. I appreciate it with all of my heart. I am so glad and lucky to have you as friends. I can't accept that gift, though. I am not going broke from this accident, I am just not going to be getting a house as early as I had wanted. There are alot of people who have to cut corners on their bill paying, or re-morgage their houses, or get an extra side job...I have to do none of those things, just have to live in apartment longer then planned...and that is OK. I have made peace with that. I do not deserve financial help because I am fortunate to have the house savings, even though it's not much, and it is a huge drag to take so much out if the account. I have enough saved to pay for this surgery, and hopefully any future P.T. that Graham might need. I would not feel right accepting your loving gifts, there are others who are way more deserving.

I am honored that you would offer, though. Maybe the amount that you were going to send to my vet, you can set aside for another pet talker who does not already have a savings account, and they are truly worried about how to pay for an emergency, should one come up.

Hugs and kisses from Graham and I :)

RachelJ
11-10-2001, 08:11 PM
I too am astounded at the cost of the surgery. I would have, like you, guessed in the $1,000.00 - $1,500.00 range. I was wondering if the University of Michigan had a veterinary school and if they did such a surgery, which might be less expensive to have it done there. That said, this vet appears to be someone you have some trust in and we all know how important that is.

lizbud
11-10-2001, 09:35 PM
AdoreMyDogs,
I am glad you found a Vet Specialist you
like & trust, and that Graham can be helped
to get better.While the $$ amt. quoted for
a "best case scenario' does seem really high,
if it helps Graham to walk around again pain
free;I too would do it in a minute...
Just wish that the bill could be sent to
the Apartment Management Company. Graham was
at home minding his own business,when Apt.
Staff entered your Apartment.I believe the
maintenance person is culpable.
This should Never have happened.At the very
least,Graham should have never been left
where he fell..and you had to find him in
that state.
Graham is a very athletic dog(strong) and
should heal well.I wouldn't count him out
of anything in the future.
Strong Prayers being offered for Graham
and his Mom & Dad !!!

Sudilar
11-10-2001, 10:39 PM
Graham will adjust to his leg problem. He's a trooper. I am so sorry about his agility career ending. I know how much he loved it. Life is so unfair. I know what you mean about financial priorities. When your furbaby is sick or injured, you do all you can to make him better. I willingly gave up my vacation to pay for Killian's vet bills this summer. He's more important to me than that. Good luck and keep us posted. We will be praying for him and you.

Iditarodfan
11-10-2001, 11:11 PM
LESLIE, OH SO SOORRY ABOUT GRAHAM'S NEED FOR SURGERY. BUT, OH SO THANKFUL SOMEONE CAN HELP HIM. WHO KNOWS, GRAHAM, MAY SURPRISE YOU AND BE GOOD AS NEW. ONE DAY AT A TIME, LESLIE! ALSO, MANY OF US ARE WILLING TO ADD A FEW BUCKS TO THE VET. BILL. THINK IT OVER AGAIN. I WANT GRAHAM TO SEE OREGON!!!!!

crow_noir
11-11-2001, 03:18 AM
Leslie, i am soooo sorry to hear about the bad news. i couldn't help but to start crying as i read about Graham's furture. i know things could have been worse, but they are still very aweful. The best of luck to you and your whole family!

Dixieland Dancer
11-11-2001, 06:51 AM
Leslie, I too am glad to hear that Graham will be able to walk again pain free. I know the sadness you feel in not being able to do agility with him. Have you considered doing regular obedience? I find it just as rewarding. It may be the answer to keeping him around other dogs and giving you an outlet to work him. Check in your area for training clubs. I think you will like it if you give it a try! :D

Here is a link to a great Pet Insurance plan. I recommend this to all of our new puppy owners. pet insurance (http://www.petinsurance.com/)

Keep us posted on how Grahams surgery goes.

AdoreMyDogs
11-11-2001, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer:
<STRONG>Leslie, I too am glad to hear that Graham will be able to walk again pain free. I know the sadness you feel in not being able to do agility with him. Have you considered doing regular obedience? I find it just as rewarding. It may be the answer to keeping him around other dogs and giving you an outlet to work him. Check in your area for training clubs. I think you will like it if you give it a try! :D </STRONG>

The wonderful woman who is the ansthestesologist (sp?) at the vet specialists has 2 mixed breeds whom both have their CD titles, and one is working of furthering the title. I had no idea mixed breeds could get obedience titles. I do know that they allowed "pure breeds" with an ILP. I know that Graham has the potential, and he already has prior obedience training, although he's a bit rusty, so I asked my husband if that was an option in the future when Graham is healed. He loves to think, and he strives to please me. Without a "job" I think he will not be as happy. He loved agility SO much. I want him to enjoy life to it's fullest so I am strongly considering it. It's hard to think about anything financially, though. I do know that Graham would be happiest with something to do, becides just be my friend, but even that is fine with me...he's so good at being my friend :)

Here is a link to a great Pet Insurance plan. I recommend this to all of our new puppy owners. pet insurance (http://www.petinsurance.com/)

[/QB]

Unfortunately, I think it's too late for pet insurance :( I thank you for the site, but I don't think they will pay for pre existing conditions. I will certainlly get pet insurance for my next dog, and maybe after Graham heals completely from this surgery and possible P.T. I will consider for him. Thank you :)

kobieeli
11-11-2001, 12:48 PM
So sorry to hear the news about smilin' Graham's bad ankle... :( I sure did like lizbud's angle on the vet bill, though--I wonder if a small-claims court would make the maintenance people pay even just half of what Graham's costs are going to be? (In a perfect world, they'd willingly pay the entire bill.)

Take heart, Leslie: Graham will get the best care, and he'll soon be the happy active boy you love! ;)

Albea
11-11-2001, 12:51 PM
Leslie:
In spite of the news about poor sweet Graham needing surgery, it's great to know that he'll be able to walk again without pain. After the recovery period, he'll be as good as new and then you can find something fun for him to do. Jackie had a good idea about training him as a therapy dog, especially for children with disabilities. With his smile and happy personality he'll be able to bring joy to so many :D Give him many hugs and kisses from us, we love him dearly (and you too ;) )

Dixieland Dancer
11-11-2001, 03:13 PM
After thinking about it for awhile I too agree that the best avenue for Graham the Wonder Dog is to be a therapy dog. Think of all the lives he can touch and make a difference in! :D

RachelJ
11-11-2001, 06:34 PM
You are right about that Dixie. Graham has charisma. This dog can turn on the charm and make one instantly feel that you matter to him ...that you are special to him. In addition to being absolutely beautiful he is well mannered and polite. He really is epitome of what a therapy dog should be.

lizbud
11-13-2001, 06:28 PM
AdoreMyDogs,
Just checking in to see how you & Graham
are holding up..Hope Graham is not in too
much pain.
Please know that Graham & Family are in my
thoughts and prayers!!!

Things will get Better,I just know it..
Good Wishes & hugs from Buddy & Liz.

RachelJ
11-13-2001, 07:49 PM
Is surgery still scheduled for this Friday? Our fella is on our minds constantly. It will be good to get this behind us and the boy on his way to healing.

Love and kisses from Hannah, Tucker and Rachel.

Sudilar
11-13-2001, 08:13 PM
How's he doin??

AdoreMyDogs
11-14-2001, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the concerns. We are counting down the days. I keep telling Graham that he has to be brave and hang in there....this surgery, according to what the orthopedic surgeon says, is quite complecated and lengthy. I suspect he will be depressed and in alot of pain when it is all over with.

Surgery is still planned for this Friday. I drop him off before work, and I am taking almost 2 weeks off work to help him through this. I did check to see if other vets do the surgery and found the other emergency vet specialist in the area actually seems to be about the same in price, if not more. None of the regular vets do the surgery, only the specialists seem to be doing it.

As long as Graham has that splint and cast on, he is in little pain...but when that splint and cast comes off....WATCH OUT!!! Without the support of it he screams his poor head off :( I am going to insist that he is anesthitised for any further bandage changes, at least until I know that he's not in so much pain.

Thanks again for your concerns. I am real worried, but both Dan, Graham and I will get through this. I will let you know how his surgery goes. I won't have him back with me until at least Saturday...probablly Sunday. I know I can count on all of you to help me get through this with your kind words and prayers :) It's already been easier then it would have been without all of your support :)

Pam
11-14-2001, 06:53 AM
Leslie we will definitely be thinking of you and Graham on Friday! What a wonderful mom you are to be taking two weeks off to help Graham. I know you feel so lucky to have found Graham, but Graham was also very blessed to have found you. Take care, both of you. We'll be praying for a complete recovery for your precious Graham.

purrley
11-14-2001, 06:58 AM
Leslie - I don't know how I missed the postings on the update of your precious Graham's condition. I want you to know that I will be thinking of all of you and praying that Graham will go through his surgery like the champ that he is. I just feel so awful that this had to happen to him in the first place by no fault of your own or Graham's. Leslie please consider the help that everyone has offered in regard to the bills -I'm sure among all of us we could sure take the edge off that terrible fee for you and I know I'd be more than happy to send some bucks to your vet to help with this. I respect your feelings and you are such a wonderful, caring person. The love you have for that wonderful dog is awesome. Anyway prayers be with you all. I'll be posting in after Thanksgiving to see how everything went. God Bless your family!!!!

Sudilar
11-14-2001, 07:55 AM
How wonderful of you to take off to be with him. He will need your help. My prayers will be with you and Graham every step of the way.

Dixieland Dancer
11-14-2001, 09:11 AM
Our thoughts and prayers will be with you, Dan, and especially Graham on Friday! Keep us posted and you are such a good momma! It will help him recover faster with you home to give him tons of TLC. :D

[ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: Dixieland Dancer ]

thelmalu99
11-14-2001, 10:11 AM
Prayers, love and kisses for Graham.

From your friends in New York,
Thelma, Yertle the Turtle,
Elvis and Danny

Albea
11-14-2001, 01:17 PM
Leslie:
We will be thinking of you and sweet Graham on Friday and praying all goes well. He'll be so happy to have you all day for himself that he'll recover very quickly. Could you ask the surgeon to give him something for the pain, at least for the first couple of days? I'm not in favor of too many pills for pups, but perhaps this is one instance when I would change my mind. Love to you both.

tatsxxx11
11-14-2001, 04:11 PM
Dear Graham and Leslie. All of our prayers and thoughts and hopes for the speediest recovery will be with you on Friday. Leslie, I know that having you there to assist Graham during his early recovery will be the best healing medicine of all. You are SUCH a wonderful, loving mommy :) And Graham, I don't think we have to tell you how special you are to all of us! All of our love to you Graham, and to your very special family. Love, Sandra, Cody and Star

RachelJ
11-15-2001, 03:21 PM
Extra prayers for Graham and Leslie tomorrow, everybody. We love you two sooo much.

Corinna
11-15-2001, 04:54 PM
Merlin here; I'll have mom help me with my pup prayers for you grammy get well soon.

Sudilar
11-15-2001, 06:28 PM
Good luck, Graham. We're praying hard!

Pam
11-15-2001, 07:09 PM
OOOh tomorrow's the big day! We have butterflies in our stomachs! :eek: Still thinking about you Leslie and praying for sweet Graham that all goes well.

Logan
11-15-2001, 07:55 PM
Dear Graham,
We heard you have to go to have sir jury tomorrow. :( We are really, really sorry. So far, except for once, our doctor has been able to fix everything without doing the Sir Jury on us. He did do one sir jury on each of us one time, to make sure we stayed healthy and didn't have any babies. But we don't think that is your problem.
Our mom told us to make sure that you and your mom and dad know that we are really crossing our paws and sayin our prayers for you tomorrow. We hope that everything goes great for you, and that you will feel ok very soon.
Love,
Honey and Lilly, two of your many admirers
:)

Daisy's Mom
11-15-2001, 09:05 PM
Good luck Graham! We're praying for you, sweetie!

delidog
11-16-2001, 04:28 AM
oh dear,dear graham,leslie and dan!!!! delilah and i will be praying for you....i hope that this is the last of any surgeries that you have to endure!!!! you cannot get him back till sat. or sun.?????? can you go visist him??? i know that he will be missing you!!!! big hugs for you all!!! and lots of crossed paws!!!! and praying paws!!!! the deli dog!!!xoxoxo for thr graham!!!!

tatsxxx11
11-16-2001, 06:26 AM
Dear Graham. We know today is your big day for Sir Jury. :( Me and Cody will be keeping all our paws together for you today SuperGraham. Hopefully this will be the last of your "big" visits to the white coats. We know that the good doctor and your mommy will take the bestest care of you. You will be in our hearts and prayers every minute. Hope you get home real soon, cuz we know your mommy will be so lonesome without you. And so will we. Love you Graham. Your pals, Cody and Star

purrley
11-16-2001, 07:09 AM
Lots of love and prayers go out to our Super Graham today - I'll be thinking of you all day!!!

Albea
11-16-2001, 11:48 AM
Leslie:
Carina is asking if sweet Graham had his surgery yet and how's he doing. We are thinking of you and sending many, many wishes for a quick recovery.

AdoreMyDogs
11-16-2001, 12:08 PM
I am on pins and needles....Graham has been in surgery for the past 2 hours now...they told me that they expect it to take another hour or so :eek: When I called and they told me that he was now in surgery, my heart just dropped. I can't stand the thought of my baby being operate on :(

I'll update you as soon as I get that call....I hate waiting :(

Thanks for the prayers. I very much appreciate it.

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: AdoreMyDogs ]

purrley
11-16-2001, 12:10 PM
Hang in there Leslie - I'm on pins and needles with ya - let us know right away how he's doin - Love & God Bless Ya!!!!

tatsxxx11
11-16-2001, 03:25 PM
We're with you Leslie. Love you Graham.

tatsxxx11
11-16-2001, 06:43 PM
Leslie, please let us know Graham is resting and well. Worrying fretfully :( Won't go to bed until we know SuperGraham is Super-OK!!

Pam
11-16-2001, 08:44 PM
Waiting for an update on the pup with the $1,000,000 smile! Hang in there Leslie!

AdoreMyDogs
11-16-2001, 09:05 PM
Graham was in surgery for 3 hours. Surgery went well and Graham is hopefully sleeping soundly tonight with his newly de-jointed leg. Doc is going to call me tomorrow morning to see when I can pick up my baby. Both Dan and Graham are gone tonight...the house is so dreadfully quiet. I never realized how safe Graham makes me feel when Dan is out with his buddies and I am at home alone. I look forward to tomorrow but I am so afraid to see what he looks and acts like.

I'll post again after I pick him up. You all are wonderful. I love you to pieces! God Bless you all.

g'nite

Sudilar
11-16-2001, 10:10 PM
Sleep tight tonight, Graham. Hope you get well quick!! Get some rest, Leslie! Glad the surgery is over. Update us when you can.

Logan
11-16-2001, 10:40 PM
Sleep well, Leslie. Something tells me that you will be on the floor with Graham tomorrow night.

Please remember that we love you all, and are wishing the very, very best for our buddy, Graham. :D

Logan

K9karen
11-16-2001, 10:44 PM
Leslie, I can feel it in my heart that Graham will be fine! I love him to pieces! I know he'll flash that grin when he sees you!
Try to sleep, our boy is in good hands!Love you back!

KYS
11-16-2001, 11:04 PM
I won't be on line for a few days,
and I wanted to send special thoughts
and well wishes to Graham for a safe and
speedy recovery.

tatsxxx11
11-17-2001, 03:49 AM
What a brave boy, GrahamMan. And you too, Leslie. You must be exhausted. But it's done! And soon the smiling Graham will be home again. Rest well sweet boy. Love you guys.

delidog
11-17-2001, 06:15 AM
glad that graham got through the surgery all right!!! when can your furkid come home??? that is the best medicine for recovery!!!!! we still have lots of pryers for you and graham!!!! the deli dog

AdoreMyDogs
11-17-2001, 08:34 AM
Strange...I am picking up Graham at noon today, he is currently on a morphine drip and he has a pain patch on the actual surgery site. Doc warned me that Graham is going to be in extreme pain for the next couple of days...even so much so that he may not even be able to sleep. He warned me that Graham may become very vocal with his pain and that my sleep may suffer. I have already told hubby that I am camping out on the floor tonight next to Grahams nest. When Graham comes home with me, Doc is giving a perscription of Tylenol 4 for pain! I have never even heard of Tylenal 4, and I remember we were just discussing the danger of Tylenol on another post....I asked doc if he was sure tylenol was safe for dogs, and he said it is fine as long as it's not given in too strong a dose. He said that he was basing the dosage on the amount of codine in Tylenal 4, not on the acedominaphin (sp?) in it. So now we have Deli Dog and Graham who were either advised by a vet or perscribed by a vet to give tylenol :eek:

Sorry to be posting so much...I'll let you know how he is when I pick him up at noon.

jackiesdaisy1935
11-17-2001, 08:51 AM
Leslie, I know how anxious you are to pick Graham up today. It will be very hard on both of you, but you have shown the strength to get through this before and you will do it again. Of course our thoughts and prayers will be with you and Graham at this time. We are all praying for a full recovery. Please give Graham a hug and kiss from us, we love you both. Daisy, Perry and Jackie

Pam
11-17-2001, 09:07 AM
Leslie don't apologize for your posts. You are going through something so traumatic right now that I am sure you feel you must let it out or you will burst. I know you have cried a lot ever since all this began. We send you lots and lots of hugs today as you bring your good friend home. I hope the period of adjustment will not be too hard on either of you and that Graham will not have to suffer pain for too long. I would be very nervous thinking about caring for such a delicate little patient but I know once he is home you will settle into some sort of routine. Somehow I had pictured you camping out on the floor by him. Please post with any thoughts or concerns. We want to hear from you! Loving thoughts to you both today!

tatsxxx11
11-17-2001, 09:33 AM
You?? Posting TOO MUCH??? Silly you! Leslie, I am sure the vet in describing the pain scenario, he is just preparing you for Graham's possible maximum response, so you won't be frightened, just in case. Hopefully, there at home, with you by his side, and the pain medic., he will rest easy....I hope so, poor, brave guy. I'm was surprised that he is coming home so soon! But thrilled for you and him. I only pray that he does not get so excited that he tries to move too much. Does he have just a dressing on? What will be his limitations re: ambulation and movement? It does sound strange about the tylenol. My vet told me that after my girl had surgery, and had to stay 2-3 days, the reason was to be able to medicate her for, and manage her pain. He said that dogs, unlike cats, do not respond well to oral vs. injectable pain meds. That is, they are not as effective in dogs. In any event, and PLEASE forgive me if I appear intrusive or second guessing the vet, I really don't mean to do that. But, I just wanted to let you, know in case you didn't, that morphine is a big time respir. depressant, and it is important, since he's been on the drip for 12 hours or so, that you just keep an extra eye on his breathing for several hours after he gets home. But, I am sure they wouldn't release him if he's too groggy, and he will be just fine. :) Nice and deep, now Graham!! Hope the trip home is a safe and happy one. I thank God that precious Graham has made it through his Sir Jury with flying colors and is one the road to recovery. We love you so much Graham. Let us know how it goes Leslie and please remember that we're here anytime you need to talk, ask questions, whatever!

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

Albea
11-17-2001, 12:21 PM
Leslie dear:
I hope the car trip after surgery was not too traumatic for you and Graham and his first night at home was relatively peaceful.
I have taken Tylenol 2, with codeine, for my back pain and it made me quite drowsy. So, don't be surprised if Graham wants to sleep all day, since T 4 must have much more codeine than the one I took. I assume the specialist knows that what he prescribed will work, in spite of all the advice against giving Tylenol to dogs.
We are sending you all our positive thoughts and warmest wishes for a painless and quick recovery for dear Graham. Chin up! We are all thinking of you.

AdoreMyDogs
11-17-2001, 01:22 PM
It's just as doc. warned me it would be. My stoeic Graham has been crying quietly since he left the vet. He is in extreme pain, but they feel that already his progress is above average. Doc said that usually the dog does not touch his toes (or the cast) to the ground until about 7-10 days, and Graham has touched his toe to the ground a few times...doc was confindent that Graham was ready to come home today. I feel that, although he may really benefit from the morphine drip that he was getting, being home in the company of loved ones is so much more healing.

I have pictures but they might be too graphic to post. They are in my webshots album at my signature if you want to see him. Graham was shaved in two spots, in case they needed to do a bone graph on both his front and hind end...turns out, his shoulder had enough good bone to do the graph so they did not cut his back end. I think he looks pretty good, considering. It's scary to see him shaved so much though.

Graham says when he feels better, he'll log on to tell you all about it.

Bless you all to pieces.

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-17-2001, 01:58 PM
Leslie,

I am sorry because I seemed to miss the posts about Graham being in the hospital. But I am glad that he is home now. I am certain that he is better off at home where he can get all the TLC he needs and deserves.
He will heal quickly, I am sure. Graham is a trooper. You are a tough boy, sweet Graham.

I just saw Graham's pictures. They shaved quite alot off. Hope it doesn't get too cold for him. You are still the handsome fella you have always been Graham. Your fur will grown back soon.

You are such a good mom for taking time off work to help your little baby.

Many hugs and kisses to Graham. Welcome home, smilie Graham Boy!

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: Souraya ]

kobieeli
11-17-2001, 02:49 PM
Oh Leslie, those pictures of your sweetie Graham made my stomach turn over. :( I know you must be beside yourself with concern for him, and I'm praying for his recovery. Your being home with him for two weeks will make all the difference in the world to him, I'm sure. You two will get through this! :)

TheAntiPam
11-17-2001, 04:01 PM
What a tough time at your house, Dear Grahamy! When I had to go for Sir Jury, the nurse told me that very first day "It will never again be as bad as today". And she was right. This might not seem like much for you and your loving family, but I hope its true in your case!

My cats want to donate some fur for your patches, but they expect me to gather it - so you'd better not wait - get under the blanket quick! Much love and prayers for your recovery - and for your mom's peace of mind while you heal!

RachelJ
11-17-2001, 04:29 PM
I had to steel myself to look at the pictures of Graham Cracker. He's been through so much. I wish I could take some of the pain for him. I'm so sorry to hear that this is such an ordeal for both him and you. As for the shaved areas, I call them kissing spots Any shaved skin is especially suited for lots of kisses. I know you will give the sweet boy the bestest love and care that anyone can imagine. This is going to get better, you just have to take it one day at a time and each day should be a little bit better. God bless you both. Prayers are continuing. Hannah says she thinks Graham is still the most beautiful hunk of a dog ever and she is saving lots of kisses for him.

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

jackiesdaisy1935
11-17-2001, 05:23 PM
Leslie, I'm so glad that Graham is home with the people he loves so much, that in itself will do a lot for him. I'm sorry to hear him cry in pain, it makes me feel so bad for him.I'm sure it will take time but Graham was in such good condition that I think he will do well. Please give him a big hug and many, many kisses from Daisy, Perry and me
Jackie

tatsxxx11
11-17-2001, 05:46 PM
Bless you sweet Graham. Your Sir Jury album was a heartbreaker, I have to admit. But, in those beautiful eyes I see the look of steely determination. A look that says "I'll be back on all 4s before you know it!" I hope you rest well tonite sweet boy. Let your mommy give you all the good loving and care you need. And have her kiss all those boo-boos a zillion times for us. You are our SuperHero SuperGraham, and we love you for than we can say! Nite, nite dear Graham. Love, Sandra, Cody and Star

Sudilar
11-17-2001, 06:28 PM
Poor, sweet Graham!!! You look so sad with all your hair cut off. I hope you feel better and better everyday. I'm so sorry this had to happen to you. Get well quick! We're praying for you!

Pam
11-17-2001, 07:06 PM
Hi there Graham....Bella here! I just asked my mom for a minute on the pawboard to tell ya how sorry I am about your boo-boo. Your new "haircut" sort of reminds me of some of the fancy shaving that some people do to poodle's fur and it's sorta silly. I know the white coats had to do that for sanitary reasons, though, so that makes it OK. Hope you don't feel too cold though. Better not let your mom know if you are, though, cuz she just might put that butterfly costume on you and, from the look on your face in that picture, I think you'd rather be cold. ;) Graham, I know that we have never met and you have met Hannah, my idol, AKA the Princess of Pillows. I am not trying to chime in on her territory, but I do think you are a very handsome doggie even if you are all bandaged up and feeling poorly right now. My mom and I are hoping that you feel better real soon and your mom can relax a little and not worry so much now that you're home. Anyways, I'm sending you some sloppy kisses and get well wishes but (don't tell Hannah ;) )

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: Pam ]

lizbud
11-17-2001, 07:12 PM
AdoreMyDogs,
So very happy that Graham is HOME again!!!
Leslie..I wouldn't worry about the tylenol4
R/X; b/c thats just what my Buddy took after
his surgury 7/31/01.I was in such a daze
myself when I actually got to take my baby
boy home, I didn't even think to question
the medicine they sent home with him.Found
out later they only sent home 4 pills,&
my local vet said the R/X was not to be
refilled.It's to taken for the more severe
pain they experience the first 48 hrs or so
after the surgery.Buddy was pretty much out
of it the whole time he took the (mostly
codene)medication. He did 'moan' a bit while he slept but that was the drug's effect on not 'him feeling pain'. Anyway...
What I'm trying to say is that it is widely prescribed and not to worry..
Prayers & Good Wishes to you and Graham!!

AdoreMyDogs
11-17-2001, 09:55 PM
Lizbud,

I know Bud had a different surgery, but I am just wondering how long Bud showed extreme pain? They told me that the first 48 hours were going to be the very worst. Did Bud show huge improvement after 48 hours? Graham cries non-stop while he is awake...when he is asleep is the only time he stops crying. His cries vary from a constant groan with each exhale, to a low, constant whine, to a very high pitch wine. He has not stopped crying, except for when he's sleeping. The vet says that unfortunately there's little left to do but support him emotionally and make sure I keep him on that tylenol 4. He just cries and cries. He just does not stop. I have even held the phone up to Graham's mouth as he's crying for the vet to listen to and they said it's normal, but it's so much worse than I expected. I almost wish they kept him in the hospital on that morphine drip :( Anyway, I was just wondering how Bud made out with his surgery. Let me know if it got any better, OK? I need to know that there will be an end to this...every wimper that comes out of his mouth, just tears my heart to shreads...I have been crying so much that my head is pounding and my eyes are bloodshot and sore.
http://www.plauder-smilies.de/sniff.gif

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: AdoreMyDogs ]

Logan
11-17-2001, 10:39 PM
Hang in there, Leslie. He will be ok. I think you will find that every day, every hour will get better. I know you are so worried, and I can certainly understand why! :( Just wish I was closer so I could give you and Graham a big hug. (((hug)))
Come on, Graham, just relax buddy, and give your leg some time to heal.
I'm praying for you both, and will continue to do that.
Nite, sweet friends. Hope tomorrow will be better for both of you.
Love you both.
Logan

Daisy's Mom
11-18-2001, 12:36 AM
Oh Graham you poor angel! Leslie it must be so hard to listen to him constantly crying. I know how horrible I feel when Daisy whimpers over the slightest thing... i don't even know how I could handle her crying nonstop. I hope that stops soon, and I am praying so hard that his pain goes away, or at least lessens! Get well soon, sweet Graham!

RachelJ
11-18-2001, 07:18 AM
This is so heart wrenching I can hardly stand it. Just keep telling yourself...it will get better, it will get better. Leslie, maybe your husband can assume some of the caretaking today, so you can have a break from the emotional truama of seeing Graham in pain. The only other thing I can suggest is to talk to your regular vet and see if he has any input into the situation.
Leslie, you are feeling the pain of Graham's pain and it is just as intense for you as it is for him. We are all praying that this phase will be over soon.

Is he eating anything? Keeping it down? How do you manage with getting him up and out to go to the bathroom? :(

jackiesdaisy1935
11-18-2001, 10:14 AM
Oh Leslie, it breaks my heart to hear that Graham is crying all the time, I know for one thing you need some rest, can someone else sit with him for a while so you can take a little rest? You have been so strong, before long it should get a little better for him, just hang in there and before long this will be behind you and Graham. Keep the Faith.
Jackie

lizbud
11-18-2001, 11:11 AM
AdoreMyDogs,
Sorry I didn't stay up late enough to see
your post.. But, yes the first 2-3 days are
the worst.The moans,wimpering, etc will end.
Believe me, I was calling the vet hospital
1-800 number to ask questions and try to
reassure myself that that 'stage' would not
last forever.Bud's vet hospital has a 24/7
staff available & welcome call backs.
I know how heart breaking it is to hear
those sounds coming from Graham ,and not being able to 'help' in some way.
Talk to your Vet Specialist or one of his/her Staff vet-staff people.Don't feel
bad about calling.
There was not a huge difference in Buddy's
behaviour after 48 hrs.,but once he stopped
taking the tylenol4,he stopped the moaning..
Graham's been thru a great deal, and he
has you to help him thru to a complete recovery.Try to stay calm & upbeat when you
talk to Graham. Just being around where he can see you & talking calmly to him,will let
him know 'things WILL get better'
I think with Buddy, when he stopped the codene R/X and the drugs finally left his system, his knee was still very sore & he had
to be helped out & in for potty breaks, but
those pitiful sounds did stop...
Prayers & Hugs from Buddy & Liz.

Albea
11-18-2001, 12:27 PM
Oh Leslie! I'm crying just reading your postings. No way I can go to your Webshots album to see pictures. Poor, poor Graham that has to go trough such painful experience, and I can't tell you how much I undestand your own suffering. I wish I could do something to help. Since that's not possible, all I can do is to send many positive thoughts and many good wishes for a speedy recovery. Take some time to rest because Graham will need you in the next couple of days.
If there is any consolation, not for the pain of course, think that the coat will grow faster in cool weather, and, when he's ready to walk again, he'll be the same handsome Graham that we all learn to love when we first met him here. Give him many hugs from us.

tatsxxx11
11-18-2001, 01:11 PM
Yes, Leslie. Try and take a little time out for yourself. I agree that it's important that Graham sees you looking chipper and positive. Hard job,I know. :( I can only cling to Liz' words, that the first 48 hours are the worst. Try and hang in there. And call the vet as often as you need to, to reassure you that what Graham is going through is expected. Poor little lamb. It's really heartbreaking to imagine his crys. But with all of our postive thoughts, well wishes and love coming his way, I know that each day will find him feeling better and better. Give lots of hugs and kisses, day and night, to our precious boy.

Sudilar
11-18-2001, 03:27 PM
Ohhh, I feel so bad for Graham and you!!! It is so hard to see our furbabies suffer. I hope the pain goes away quickly.

Pam
11-18-2001, 07:28 PM
Leslie I'm thinking about you and Graham tonight and hoping that the pain is lessening somewhat.

Daisy's Mom
11-18-2001, 07:43 PM
How you feeling tonight, sweet Graham? Leslie I hope you are well...

lizbud
11-18-2001, 08:19 PM
AdoreMyDogs,
I don't think I said all that I meant to
tell you earlier.Meant to say that Bud's
Vet Hospital people & my local Vet both told
me that the 'pitiful sounds' were not really
sounds of pain, but sounds of distress &
confusion at the feelings induced by the
heavy pain medicine..They swore to me that
Buddy could not possibly feel pain with the
type & amount of the R/X he was taking...
Know this doesn't make hearing it any easier
but, Graham has finally started the healing
process and day by day will get better &
better...Take everyones advice about trying
to get enought rest yourself !!!
Love,Prayers & Hugs from Buddy & Liz...

Logan
11-18-2001, 09:28 PM
Oh, Leslie. I would loved to have heard from you today. I hope your absence means that you were resting......that's wishful thinking, I'm sure.

Check in and let us know about Graham when you can. We all love you both so much.

Logan

jackiesdaisy1935
11-18-2001, 10:14 PM
Leslie, I have been thinking about you today and I know how stressful it has been for you and Graham. If only we could reach out and help you, it is frustrating for those of us who would like to do something to help Graham and you, but can only send our prayers and positive thoughts, but we are sending many, many. Please give Graham some hugs and kisses and he is still Superdog to us, he is so brave. Please you take care and get some rest.
Jackie

AdoreMyDogs
11-18-2001, 10:18 PM
Hi everyone :)

You are all too sweet. Graham has been showing a little improvement I think. I didn't post because I hate to give you so much bad news. He still cries while he's awake, but today we had a little breakthrough. I am only supposed to give him a maximum of 3 doses of pain killer in a day, and by 8:00 AM Graham was in such terrible pain, crying so much and so loudly that I had given him his second dose by then...which meant I had to wait until later today to give him his 3rd dose...he did really well all day until about 6 PM then he got very, very vocal again. But he did go a good 10 hours without pain killer without much crying. He is still quite vocal, crying very often, but it may be just a tad bit less often...or else I am just getting used to him crying in the background.

Now I have another concern...he normally makes 3-4 poops a day and he's not pooped in 2 days. I keep thinking for sure he must have to poop but he just pees....so tomorrow if he has not yet gone by 12 noon Graham will be going back to the vet for an enema and a laxative. He's been eating really well. He's already getting a very high fiber diet with lots of purreed (sp?) veggies and lots of grains and raw meat and stuff that he readily eats up, and it should have helped him poo.

I hope he poops soon...I can't imagine it's healthy to go two days with eating full meals full of roughage and not pooing. He's not even trying...I think by the time it comes out it's going to be petrified :) Either that or he'll make a massive 10 pound stinky...a dinasaur poop :)

Last night since I was awake 3/4 of the night with Graham (I slept next to him on the floor all night...he didn't sleep much, so neither did I) today I had a nice, long nap while hubby babysat.

I can say that my back was sure sore today...from my night on a hard floor to carrying Graham up and down the stairs, as well as carrying him around to the back of the building where he normally likes to go to the bathroom. I had to buy a magnet back brace, and I have been wearing it most of the day. I am so worried how I will manage with carrying him up and down stairs for 12 weeks :eek: I sure hope either my back gets stronger, hubby does not mind getting woken up to help carry Graham, or Graham loses weight :eek:

I'll let you all know how he's doing when he is showing noticable improvement. I hate to keep posting bad stuff because I know how much you all care for him, just as I care for all of your dogs, like they are my family, too. Thanks for all the concerns. I know that Graham appreciates it, although he's not well enough to tell you all for himself how much he appreciates it. I wish you all a good night. Thank you again for being such good, kind friends.

Oh, and Lizbud....the surgeon said the same thing about the dog maybe crying due to confusion and fear, more then physical pain. That is comforting, whether it's true or not, it's still comforting. Thank you :) I appreciate it. The mental image of Graham crying out of confusion rather then out of extreme pain is so much easier to focus on.

auggie
11-19-2001, 06:14 AM
It breaks my heart to hear about his suffering. Leslie, I believe the medication causes constipation. Maybe you can discuss other options with his Vet, if you have to take Graham for an enema. Glad to hear he is eating well.

Phred
11-19-2001, 02:20 PM
Hi, Graham! ~ Cinder & Smokey want to know if you're feeling any better today? And poopie problems on top of everything else you've been through - that's something you really didn't need!

How's he doing today, Leslie? And don't feel bad about too many posts - We're all anxious to hear about even the smallest changes. We're all worried about our little "Smiler" pal and hope he starts to show you that he's beginning to feel better. Did you have to return to the Vet to get the *poop problem* fixed, or has that resolved itself?

Please, keep us posted as often as you are able to. And Big {{HUGGS}} and *KISSES* to Graham!

TheAntiPam
11-19-2001, 03:38 PM
I sure wish I could be there to help! And I know I'm not the only PetTalker that feels that way. Graham, get that "output" going if you can! And think of angels while your mom carries you - it will make you weigh less! ;) Leslie, don't burn out or wear out! In a couple more days, Graham will be feeling more comfortable, and you need to be comfy too!

Best wishes for a better, and quieter night!

tatsxxx11
11-19-2001, 03:59 PM
Hi sweet Graham and Leslie. I was so glad to hear that your discomfort was maybe a little better today Graham. One day at a time; one step at a time. And Pam, your words were so profound. As we all know, Graham truly is an angel in fur. And I am sure he will have little trouble sprouting his wings to lighten his mama's load. Leslie, please don't worry about posting too much, or telling us things you think we might find upseting. That's why we're here, and why we're friends. And as for the poopies.... Well, codiene is notorious for being extremely irritating to the digestive system, intestinal or gastric...nausea, vomiting and especially CONSTIPATION! On top of that, general anesthesia, (which includes a lot of smooth muscle paralyzation drugs)especially in the amount that Graham had over the several hours of surgery, causes motilitly of the bowel to slow way down, or sometimes stop for a while. Ya know, they NEVER let the human patients go home until they've made a poopie too! :D Lots of fluids and the diet you describe are very beneficial. Getting up and moving about are the best ways to get things moving again. I know this is not really possible for Graham right now. Hopefully in the next day or so things will start making there way down the chute and he can avoid the enema... :( Glad to hear you got a bit of rest Leslie. Put some of the weight on OUR shoulders; emotional at least. Tell Graham we love him so much and pray that each day will find him feeling better and better.

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

tatsxxx11
11-19-2001, 06:30 PM
Hope you sleep well and peacefully tonight precious Graham.

kobieeli
11-19-2001, 09:04 PM
Well! You heard it from Dr. Tatsxxx, Graham--your inner workings should be moving along in no time! ;) Hope you're holding up alright, Leslie, and that your boy is on the mend...
{Hugs}

Sudilar
11-20-2001, 07:48 PM
Leslie, we always want to hear updates on our Graham. We get worried when we don't hear anything. We are all right with you in worrying about Graham even if we're miles and miles away. Get well quick, Graham!! We're praying for you!!
Leslie, be careful lifting Graham and don't hurt yourself!

sammi
11-20-2001, 07:56 PM
Hope both Leslie & Graham have a good sleep tonight. :p

Logan
11-21-2001, 07:23 PM
Leslie, a special Thanksgiving wish for you, Dan and Graham.......hope you have a peaceful, comfortable day tomorrow. I sure have been thinking about all of you. I know it is tough now, but I am "thankful" that Graham has a wonderful future ahead of him. It could have been so much worse (I know, that is easy for me to say), and I am just grateful that you have many more years of happiness ahead, living with Graham and doing all sorts of fun things with him.

Have a great holiday. We'll be thinking of you.

Logan

jackiesdaisy1935
11-21-2001, 08:53 PM
I see Logan just got ahead of me, I was thinking about you Leslie and Graham and just wanted to wish you a VERY PEACEFUL AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING. I hope Graham is doing better and not crying, that just broke my heart to hear that. Hope you all are getting some much needed rest. Will talk to you later. Hugs from Daisy, Perry and me.
Jackie

RachelJ
11-22-2001, 08:10 AM
Special prayers of thanks said today that Graham made it through his surgery and is now on the road to recovery. I know is hasn't been easy (how's that for an understatement?) but this stage will pass, and then Graham will be pain free and mobile and then there will be cheers going up all around. I hope when you next report there will be more good news for our sweet dear Graham.

joycenalex
11-22-2001, 09:05 AM
dear graham, my mom and i are hoping you and your mom and dad are feeling better today. since the codeine can be very constipating i hope the "dinosaur plop" has happened and that end is feeling better.
when do you go back for a post op check? woof at you later

tatsxxx11
11-22-2001, 10:31 AM
Dear Leslie, Dan and Graham. We're hoping and praying that you are feeling better Graham. Leslie, I hope that your Thanksgiving is quiet and peaceful, spent in the company of loving family and friends. Graham, I hope your tummy is feeling better and that maybe mom can sneak you a bit of turkey under the table :) Hope to hear from you soon. Love, Sandra, Cody and Star

KYS
11-22-2001, 02:56 PM
So heart breaking to hear that Graham
is suffering.
Prayers and well wishes for a
painless quick recoverey. :(

AdoreMyDogs
11-23-2001, 09:52 AM
Update:

Graham is doing good finally. He rarely cries now and I have not given him his pain killer in a few days. He's back to pooping normal since he's off the pain killer, and he appears to be having an easier time with the leg. I never had to take him back to the vet for a laxative and an enema. I gave him until 12 noon that day and he made his massive poop at about 11 AM. Thanks for caring, everyone. I don't know what I would have done without you...I would have possibly gone coo coo from all the stress and anxiety and sadness. I am feeling better now that Graham is feeling better.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I have some pics to post, but I'll put them on a different thread since this one is getting long.

Love and peace from Dan, Graham and me :)

sammi
11-23-2001, 10:43 AM
Thanks for giving us a update on Graham & so glad he is doing better :) :p :)
Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving also. I had a nice day but - ate too much!

kobieeli
11-23-2001, 11:22 AM
Yaaaay! Graham's feeling better! :D :D

RachelJ
11-23-2001, 11:24 AM
Yay! Graham pooped...this is good news! What a dogger! Looks like our big boy has turned the corner and soon will be on Easy Street. Well, maybe not Easy Street, but at least the Road to Recovery.

Hope he got a little turkey yesterday for being such a trooper for his mom and dad.
Thanks for the update, Leslie. It's just the one I requested.

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

Albea
11-23-2001, 11:43 AM
I posted a question about Graham's health in your "Thanksgiving" message and then came to this one. It's so good to know the baby is feeling much better and that you are too. Now we can rest assured that in no time Graham will be running around and getting ready for some fun activities with his mom. ;)

Sudilar
11-23-2001, 03:50 PM
WhooooooHoooooo, Graham. Glad to hear you're starting to feel better. Continued well-wishes are going your way!!!!!!

tatsxxx11
11-23-2001, 03:52 PM
Go Graham!!! WHAT a relief....For you Leslie, for all of us, and especially for Graham! :) It must have truly felt like a reason for giving thanks yesterday, Leslie! Keep up the good work Graham! You are one heck of a trooper and we love you lots!!