PDA

View Full Version : new pics of my dogs!!

tikeyas_mom
10-25-2003, 10:40 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p687786d0bc28c970ff35feccc5630c77/fabbd9b6.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pff899a8036c14ca727be39c1f1807423/fabbd9b8.jpg dont anyone get offened, but It was really hard to get a pic with all three of the dogs in it lol, so am posting this one of her doing her buisness lol

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pf688ae7ab835c2f85a255ac9efa173dd/fabbd9bb.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pd56a8656de96a977a2756bca7debf01b/fabbd9bc.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p9d74d962cd51068fe44cd0cfcd410adc/fabbd9c0.jpg blues kennel it is HUGE, I can fit into it lol..

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pf0f5e684db6d13754fc3ca7ed7f088da/fabbd9c1.jpg Tikeyas, Blues and Oscara food lol..

thats all for now I only get 8 pics on my cam and the other ones didnt work out lol.

My dad got a great dane book about the breed and he has read through it twice already. The family and Tikeya and Oscar loves the new puppy, lets hope it stays that way ;). they seem good so far, playing ect.. We have stuck with the name Baby Blue. And she was taught how to sit and lay down today BY me ;).. and she is in the minst of learning to stay and come when she is called. She is still getting used to her new name mind you... She is good with the cat, considering she has no clue what it is lol.. She hasnt met the rats yet, I plan on introducing them later on this week. We are getting Blue spayed next month.

EDIT: and if this doesnt work out she will go back to her breeders.

Logan
10-25-2003, 10:56 PM
:D :D Great news, Jynelle!! :) And I like her name, "Baby Blue". She certainly is beautiful! :)

Tonya
10-25-2003, 10:56 PM
Great pictures. Baby Blue is the perfect name!

binka_nugget
10-25-2003, 11:38 PM
:D I love her! She's so gorgeous, I'm glad everyone seems to love her too.

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 12:06 AM
omg lol, my family doesnt like baby blue any more lol, I was looking on the internet and found a good name for her:

HALA f Arabic
Means "halo around the moon" in Arabic. This was the name of a sister-in-law of the Prophet Muhammad.

Everyone seems to like Hala so far :rolleyes:... this dane is going to be so confused lol.. lol .. I like Hala, pronounced

Hal-ah... I think it suits her.. We talked to the breeder and she was telling me about her parents temps and how they get along with their smaller cocker spaniel, and the only thing the breeder wants us to worrie about is training, because danes need to be trained really well, but the breed loves to please. We are going over there with "hala, baby, blue :rolleyes:" later this month. :)..

We are also thinking of getting her ears cropped. BUT we are still researching about it at the moment..

K9karen
10-26-2003, 12:06 AM
I love those big floppy ears! ;)

Fox-Gal
10-26-2003, 12:33 AM
he's a cutie, reminds me a little of my Brock.

The breeders is right train him well, the last thing you need is 100+ lb dog that doesn't listen. I made that mistake with Brock, I trained him on most things, but car rides I forgot. So getting a 150lb dog into a car and to behave while in there is now a 2 man job.....sometime 3 man. Hopefull she also told you to watch how much you feed him, don't let him put on more weight then his growing bones can handle, Dane are prone to have problems with their bones. So you have to watch for that.

But Dane are great dogs, they are gentle giants and so loving. Mine is great with all the other animals, except Tuffy, But that a male thing there. He gets along good with all the cats other dogs, even the chicken and ducks.

Have fun feeding him...when he gets older, he can eat you out of house and home. ;) :) lol I couldn't find a dog bowl around here big enough, so I had to go to Wal-Mart and get the biggest mixing bowl they had for him, mounted it to a table. They are great at cleaning out the refrigerate for you though. ;) lol

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 12:33 AM
ok now everyone likes the name Timeek lol. it means Sweet. :rolleyes:..

lol .. I am sure in the end she will have the best name, ;)..

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Fox-Gal
he's a cutie, reminds me a little of my Brock.

The breeders is right train him well, the last thing you need is 100+ lb dog that doesn't listen. I made that mistake with Brock, I trained him on most things, but car rides I forgot. So getting a 150lb dog into a car and to behave while in there is now a 2 man job.....sometime 3 man. Hopefull she also told you to watch how much you feed him, don't let him put on more weight then his growing bones can handle, Dane are prone to have problems with their bones. So you have to watch for that.

But Dane are great dogs, they are gentle giants and so loving. Mine is great with all the other animals, except Tuffy, But that a male thing there. He gets along good with all the cats other dogs, even the chicken and ducks.

Have fun feeding him...when he gets older, he can eat you out of house and home. ;) :) lol I couldn't find a dog bowl around here big enough, so I had to go to Wal-Mart and get the biggest mixing bowl they had for him, mounted it to a table. They are great at cleaning out the refrigerate for you though. ;) lol

lol thats funny you must have had fun teaching him to like cars hahaha. Tikeya hated cars for the longest time ;).. But its ok now she kinda got used to it . I tyook the dane pup out today for a drive she was ok with it :) just a lil wobbily around sharp corrners lol. is it ok for a dane pup to be a lil stiff after just waking up /??
my dane is a female, just thoguht I would let you know ;)

Fox-Gal
10-26-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
lol thats funny you must have had fun teaching him to like cars hahaha. Tikeya hated cars for the longest time ;).. But its ok now she kinda got used to it . I tyook the dane pup out today for a drive she was ok with it :) just a lil wobbily around sharp corrners lol. is it ok for a dane pup to be a lil stiff after just waking up /??
my dane is a female, just thoguht I would let you know ;)

I still haven't taught him to like car rides....the silly guy wont sit down so ever turn or bump in the road he falls. :rolleyes: Then he wants to try to get in my lap..... :eek: :eek: Thats always fun, trying to see around big head.

As for the stiff thing waking up....Brock was the same way as a pup, but it after he played hard before his nap. To much play can hurt then with their growing bones. That is one of the most important things about danes when they are growing, their body is so big for those little puppy legs that you have to watch out not to over do it with them. It's just they grow so fast that sometimes there bones can't keep up.

Somewhere in that book your dad got, I'm sure there something about it in there, I've never read a Dane book yet that didn't say something about it. Also make sure you read about feeding a dane puppies, the amount of food they get as they grow is very important. I'm sure thats in the book too.

Good luck to you with him....he's a cutie.

Take your time on a name, if you want....in time his personaly will show you the best name suited for him.

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 01:26 AM
yeah I know :)
We dont let her play after she eats the breeder recomended she rest after every meal so her tummy doesnt turn.. I love danes they are so sweet, ;)..

My dane is a FEMALE lol you keep saying "him and, he" lol

popcornbird
10-26-2003, 01:29 AM
omg lol, my family doesnt like baby blue any more lol, I was looking on the internet and found a good name for her:

HALA f Arabic
Means "halo around the moon" in Arabic. This was the name of a sister-in-law of the Prophet Muhammad.

Everyone seems to like Hala so far :rolleyes:... this dane is going to be so confused lol.. lol .. I like Hala, pronounced

Hal-ah... I think it suits her.. We talked to the breeder and she was telling me about her parents temps and how they get along with their smaller cocker spaniel, and the only thing the breeder wants us to worrie about is training, because danes need to be trained really well, but the breed loves to please. We are going over there with "hala, baby, blue :rolleyes:" later this month. :)..

We are also thinking of getting her ears cropped. BUT we are still researching about it at the moment..

OMG! One of my close friend's little sister's name is Hala! :p That so sounds like a human girl's name to me, rather than a dog's, but it is a cute name. :)

I think Baby Blue's cute too! Your pups are all so cute! Great pics! I have a *thing* for Tikeya. I just think she's SO beautiful! I mean, she's gorgeous!

Kfamr
10-26-2003, 01:30 AM
Please don't get her ears cropped. :( :( :( :(

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 01:31 AM
she is pritty ;) Tikeya is my baby and always will be ;).

Oscar is soo jelouse of the new pup, poor oscar
We love his just as much :).

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Please don't get her ears cropped. :( :( :( :(

If we do get her ears cropped it will be better then having them hang because danes get ear infections really badly in their flopped ears and hardly ever do in their cropped ears. We are going to talk to the vet about it on monday. I think my daneis a lil too old to get it done anyways the prefered age is up to 10 weeks and she is 14..

Kfamr
10-26-2003, 01:41 AM
Check your PM's. :rolleyes:

Kfamr
10-26-2003, 01:54 AM

If we do get her ears cropped it will be better then having them hang because danes get ear infections really badly in their flopped ears and hardly ever do in their cropped ears. We are going to talk to the vet about it on monday. I think my daneis a lil too old to get it done anyways the prefered age is up to 10 weeks and she is 14..

Here's a great site I found which I agree to what it has to say about cropping ears.
http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/earc.html

Not only is it painful but it's normally just for looks.

Dobiegirl24
10-26-2003, 05:37 AM
She is gorgeous, but I agree with kfamr, please don't get her ears cropped:( Getting ears cropped just b/c of possible ear infections I personally don't think is very good reason to(well, I don't think and reason to get ears cropped is a good reason). My dobe has floppy ears and has never had a problem with ear infections. And beagles are known for having chronic ear infections b/c of their floppy ears, so should we crop them? No. No one would ever dream of cropping a breed not normally cropped just for ear infections, so why should you put your gorgeous floppy eared puppy through it? Just keep her ears clean and you shouldn't have a problem. Putting her through the pain of the ear cropping procedure would be much worse then the occasional ear infection

ChrisH
10-26-2003, 07:21 AM
Oh, Jynelle, she is gorgeous! :D

primabella
10-26-2003, 07:28 AM
She is beautiful. :) Hope you guys pick a name as soon as possible. lol Poor little Dane pupper. ;) Good luck to you guys.

I also love those floppy ears. Hope they stay that way.

Moose
10-26-2003, 10:49 AM
Aw, what a doll. I love her! Congrats, Jynelle. Please don't get upset with me throwing my opinion in [not that it means much anyway], but please don't crop her ears. It's not natural and therefore, there really isn't much purpose to it. I'm assuming you aren't going to be showing her, so why not just let them stay as they are meant to be. Again, the keyword there is NATURAL. You don't see breeds like Labs, Goldens, etc walking around with cropped ears.....so why do it to your pup if it really isn't needed? In my opinion, it's inhumane.

Just something to think about........:rolleyes:

GoldenRetrLuver
10-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Awww Cute! :)
I agree with everyone else...please don't crop her ears. :( It IS painful for the dog. It's basically just for looks, I think they look better with natural ears anyway.

"There is NO proven medical benefit to cropping, It has never been scientifically proven that it will cut down on the amount of ear infections by increasing ventilation of the ear canal. Keeping the ears clean from dirt and debris is the job of every dog owner, it's basic maintenance, regardless if the dog is cropped or uncropped."
----quoted from HERE (http://www.outlawdanes.com/ears.html)

Shelteez2
10-26-2003, 12:02 PM
I think my daneis a lil too old to get it done anyways the prefered age is up to 10 weeks and she is 14..

I think she is too old. I am good friends with a doberman breeder, who i really respect, and she would never ever crop ears over 8 weeks.
Also, dogs with cropped ears that stand up get a lot of debris in them, and have to be cleaned regularily.

wolf_Q
10-26-2003, 12:08 PM
Why do you want to cut your dogs ears off just to make her look a certain way? As far as the ear infections thing, I don't think that's entirely true...if you just CLEAN your dogs ears there isn't a problem. The dog with the worst amount of ear infections are Cocker Spaniels...and you don't see people cutting their ears off! There's a doberman with *cropped* ears that comes in for a bath every 2 weeks...his ears are ALWAYS filthy!

Amber
10-26-2003, 12:12 PM
Awwww She is SO cute!! More Pictures!! !!! :D

CountryWolf07
10-26-2003, 12:27 PM
Cropping the pup's ears is too cruel - how would you like if someone crops your ears so you'd just look "better"? :rolleyes:

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 12:34 PM
we wouldent do it to look better. Honestly I think it does look neat BUT thats not the reseaon we are considering it. We talked to the breeders and she recomended it due to ear infections and she has 18 danes and 2 are not cropped so she knows.

Shelteez2
10-26-2003, 12:40 PM
we wouldent do it to look better. Honestly I think it does look neat BUT thats not the reseaon we are considering it. We talked to the breeders and she recomended it due to ear infections and she has 18 danes and 2 are not cropped so she knows.

Ear infections is a phoney reason to get it done. Many breeds with floopy ears are prone to ear infections (spaniels and some retrievers) and others are not. I work at a groomers and dogs with cropped ears can be just as dirty, gunky and infected as those whose ears aren't cropped.
Ear infections actually have a lot to do with diet IMO. I never clean my shelties ears, ever. They don't need it.
If you are going to get them cropped, be truthful and say it would be for aesthetic reasons. You want them cropped for the look. But anyways she's too old to have it done and so it should be a non-issue.

Kfamr
10-26-2003, 12:53 PM

Did you read anything on that site, or the site Julie posted?

Ear infections isn't a reason to get it done.
Cropped ears have the same chances of getting ear infections as uncropped.

GoldenRetrLuver
10-26-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
"There is NO proven medical benefit to cropping, It has never been scientifically proven that it will cut down on the amount of ear infections by increasing ventilation of the ear canal. Keeping the ears clean from dirt and debris is the job of every dog owner, it's basic maintenance, regardless if the dog is cropped or uncropped."
----quoted from HERE (http://www.outlawdanes.com/ears.html)

Take a look at that. They have the same chance of getting ear infections EVEN IF they are cropped. Saying it looks neat is just...sad. :( Not neat, very painful.

Moose
10-26-2003, 01:35 PM
***SIGH*** :mad: :mad: I'm glad you're really understanding all of this Jynelle. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm sorry, but it really makes me mad that you just won't let any of the great information you're getting from fellow PTers get through to you. It's people that do things like this that I just can't understand. I really hope for the sake of your new puppy that you will eventually come to your senses. And forgive me for not noticing, but when exactly did you get this puppy and how? I was only gone for a week, and I don't remember any earlier posts from you talking about possibly getting a new puppy [or even having any interest in a Great Dane]. It's one thing to get a puppy on a whim's notice, but it's a whole 'nother thing to get a Great Dane puppy without really knowing all the facts first [at least from what I've noticed]. I really hope you figure this out soon. God bless you, Blue....Hala....Timeek....whatever your name is or will be. :(

Amber
10-26-2003, 01:52 PM
Oh GoSh Peolpe We **REALLY** dont need this AGAIN. You made your point now stop repeating yourself. It's getting annoying. It's HER dog.

anyway..Im looking forward to more pictures!!

Kfamr
10-26-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Amber
It's HER dog.

Poor poor, dog. :( :(

Moose
10-26-2003, 02:06 PM
Couldn't agree with you more, Kay.

Would someone please tell me how she got this dog and when?? What brought on the sudden urge? Had she talked about this previously?

Kfamr
10-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Moose
Couldn't agree with you more, Kay.

Would someone please tell me how she got this dog and when?? What brought on the sudden urge? Had she talked about this previously?

Something about her friend got a puppy and she "fell in love" with the breed -- Her friend had to move, which the puppy couldn't come with -- So her mother took it.. blah blah blah..
There was a few threads aobut it but i'm not sure if they were deleted or not.

PapillonCrazie!
10-26-2003, 02:14 PM
Jynelle- Did you get her from a breeder or your friend :confused:

Tweety_Pie
10-26-2003, 02:22 PM
she got it from her friend who got it from the breeder....

don't crop her beautiful floppy ears!!!!! I asked my aunt about it (the dane breeder) and she said, that it's not true about the danes getting ear infections because of that, and she also recommed that you should also keep her ears down...., and I don't think they do it in Canada..

GoldenRetrLuver
10-26-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Amber
Oh GoSh Peolpe We **REALLY** dont need this AGAIN. You made your point now stop repeating yourself. It's getting annoying. It's HER dog.

anyway..Im looking forward to more pictures!!

When it comes to the dog's well being, I'm sorry but I need to step in. :(

Shelteez2
10-26-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Tweety_Pie
and I don't think they do it in Canada..

Do what in Canada? Crop ears? They sure do.

Tweety_Pie
10-26-2003, 04:07 PM
really?:confused: I thought they didn't..my bad

Shelteez2
10-26-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Tweety_Pie
really?:confused: I thought they didn't..my bad

I'm in Canada too. Here are some dobermans I babysit.

Mason
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Oct/200310265864398473724844.jpg

Ginger
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Oct/200310261197988814812596.jpg

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Oct/200310266172564899219820.jpg

And here is my neighbors great dane, Midas, who I am training and one day might compete with in obedience:

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Oct/200310268022608800320202.jpg

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Oct/200310264974770243356086.jpg

Kfamr
10-26-2003, 04:25 PM
That Dane is gorgeous!! In my opinion, much cuter with floppy ears -- and less pain! :)

Shelteez2
10-26-2003, 04:27 PM
That Dane is gorgeous!! In my opinion, much cuter with floppy ears -- and less pain! :)

But his ears are cropped. They just don't stand up. Take another look.

Kfamr
10-26-2003, 04:30 PM
Really?
Why don't they stand up? I was wondering why his weren't as huge.
It looks like a horse.:p

Shelteez2
10-26-2003, 04:34 PM
Really?
Why don't they stand up? I was wondering why his weren't as huge.
It looks like a horse.:p

They weren't taped to stand up. They were at first, but then the daycare my neighbor was taking him to said she couldn't bring him there with taped ears, I'm not sure why exactly. So since she worked full days and couldn't come let him out if he stayed home and her husband was out of town she had to make the decision to leave them untaped and take him to daycare. I think had she known that would happen she might not have gotten them cropped. But oh well it's water under the bridge. And it is a pretty cute look *S*

As for him looking like a horse, LOL he is huge! I need to get some new pics of him. Maybe I'll take Emily and Clipse over to play and get some.

Kfamr
10-26-2003, 04:38 PM
We met a Dane at the dog park named Faye(sp?) She was adorable, uncropped ears .. She was only a few months old and larger than most of the dogs there. She was a wild one! :eek:

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 05:34 PM
Did you read anything on that site, or the site Julie posted?

Ear infections isn't a reason to get it done.
Cropped ears have the same chances of getting ear infections as uncropped.

yes I viewed the sites . I was just told by the breeders that is lessens the chance of ear infections BUT it is very annoying to have to retape once every couple days..

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Moose
***SIGH*** :mad: :mad: I'm glad you're really understanding all of this Jynelle. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm sorry, but it really makes me mad that you just won't let any of the great information you're getting from fellow PTers get through to you. It's people that do things like this that I just can't understand. I really hope for the sake of your new puppy that you will eventually come to your senses. And forgive me for not noticing, but when exactly did you get this puppy and how? I was only gone for a week, and I don't remember any earlier posts from you talking about possibly getting a new puppy [or even having any interest in a Great Dane]. It's one thing to get a puppy on a whim's notice, but it's a whole 'nother thing to get a Great Dane puppy without really knowing all the facts first [at least from what I've noticed]. I really hope you figure this out soon. God bless you, Blue....Hala....Timeek....whatever your name is or will be. :(

please dont try to start a fight with me, I have been through this all already and if you missed it that is your own fault, I am not repeating it again, you can pm me if you have a preoblem but dont try to get other pters inolved.

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 05:40 PM
Poor poor, dog. :( :(

come of it already, you arnt proving anything..

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by PapillonCrazie!
Jynelle- Did you get her from a breeder or your friend :confused: Friend, BUT I have contacted her breeder and we are going to meet them somtime next month.

Kfamr
10-26-2003, 05:44 PM
yes I viewed the sites . I was just told by the breeders that is lessens the chance of ear infections BUT it is very annoying to have to retape once every couple days..

On every website i've viewed it says differently than what the breeder you spoke to says.
Not only may it be annoying, but it is painful for the dog. :(

I've said that over and over -- And I guess it just doesn't sink into your mind.

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 05:45 PM
On every website i've viewed it says differently than what the breeder you spoke to says.
Not only may it be annoying, but it is painful for the dog. :(

I've said that over and over -- And I guess it just doesn't sink into your mind.

I agree. But We are still talking to the vets about it.

Kfamr
10-26-2003, 05:47 PM
Just another thing that's come across my mind -- Costs. How much does it cost for the cropping and all of the tape/bandages you'll have to use?

GoldenRetrLuver
10-26-2003, 05:57 PM
I agree. But We are still talking to the vets about it.

Don't you think vets would discourage cropping ears? Afterall...it is painful, and your still thinking of doing it? :(

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 05:58 PM
Just another thing that's come across my mind -- Costs. How much does it cost for the cropping and all of the tape/bandages you'll have to use? that is one of the many questions we are going to be asking the vet.
We probably arnt going to get it because it is really a BIG hassel and painful for the dog.

Kfamr
10-26-2003, 06:00 PM
that is one of the many questions we are going to be asking the vet.
We probably arnt going to get it because it is really a BIG hassel and painful for the dog.

Wow.. Atleast it got to you this time!
I really hope you're not going to do it.

Moose
10-26-2003, 06:07 PM
please dont try to start a fight with me, I have been through this all already and if you missed it that is your own fault, I am not repeating it again, you can pm me if you have a preoblem but dont try to get other pters inolved.

***Biting Tongue*** In case you haven't noticed, "other PTers" are already involved. :rolleyes:

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 06:18 PM
more pics...

I took these earlier today !!

:)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p678bde82fbad0d964db5aeaafdaf693d/fab97b72.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pdfaa7972cc7e2396dd513484ced0bec0/fab97b74.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p3d711e8dc32ec9f626750dc44e9b56f8/fab97b7f.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p65111e7678b6a3258398b0e694df5aff/fab97b8a.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p4fb810defd45a9caf0879148792932c8/fab97b8b.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pe6b67655efa6d27810b0fda6497a84aa/fab97b90.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p285ee4026a314fe8bf1708dbbda80449/fab97b92.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pd6e4d75627ec6f242d1a523cf2a7008e/fab97b93.jpg

more comming

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 06:21 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p98bba7ed91e8a6e76435cffe2801c9ca/fab97b96.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p4cffef5b05242782537e9c55fc3b2210/fab97b97.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/paef4e49930685184e28e8d3a6570e89d/fab97b9d.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p99a94a5c34341cf8fd798e2e82808d3e/fab97b9a.jpg this pic was takin last night, Tameekah and my lil Brother Cole getting ready for bed time ;).

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pf4632b66e8930bbf66fe31d2e432c02e/fab97ba7.jpg

By the way We have stuck with the name Tameekah, it means Honey Sweet :)

binka_nugget
10-26-2003, 06:24 PM
:D I love the name..I think it suits her very well.

Kfamr
10-26-2003, 06:26 PM
I LOVE that last picture -- But why does she have a choke collar?
P.S. I like the name Hala better. :p

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 06:28 PM
I LOVE that last pictures -- But why does she have a choke collar? She has a chocker because thats the only collar that fits her at the moment, she doesnt wear it all the time, I put it on for pics because she looks soo cute in it with her silver fur ;)..

Kfamr
10-26-2003, 06:29 PM
She has a chocker because thats the only collar that fits her at the moment, she doesnt wear it all the time, I put it on for pics because she looks soo cute in it with her silver fur ;)..

You should get her a harness. :) They work very well for pulling and don't choke on walks. :)

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 06:30 PM

P.S. I like the name Hala better. :p

meh noone liked hala in my family but me :(:( so we stuck with Tameekah ;)

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 06:30 PM
You should get her a harness. :) They work very well for pulling and don't choke on walks. :)

we have a harness for her, it is blue BUT is it too big right now and it pokes her chest when she lays down..

GoldenRetrLuver
10-26-2003, 06:34 PM
Cute pictures! :D

primabella
10-26-2003, 06:39 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pf4632b66e8930bbf66fe31d2e432c02e/fab97ba7.jpg
I love this picture. :) She's so cute! Is she full grown?

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by primabella
I love this picture. :) She's so cute! Is she full grown?

nope she is only 14 weeks,.

primabella
10-26-2003, 06:54 PM
I thought she looked small but I also thought I read somewhere you were saying she was an adult...maybe I read 14 YEARS old

Oh well she's a cutie. :)

Desert Arabian
10-26-2003, 07:08 PM
Just thought I would let you know, Tikeyas_Mom that Great Danes have to have their food elevated off the ground. It is a MUST. If they eat off of the ground they take in too much air, and are at risk for stomach bloats/twisting. It also puts TONS of strain on their back since they are so tall and have to bend way down. Great Danes should NEVER be free fed either. Good idea to have water elevated also............

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pf0f5e684db6d13754fc3ca7ed7f088da/fabbd9c1.jpg
I only see two feed bowls here and two water bowls. Where is the third food dish for the Great Dane!?!? Are you letting Tikeya & Dane eat out of the same bowl?! That’s really bad if you are. Danes are only supposed to be fed 3-4 a day when under 6 months, then fed 2-3 times when they are over 6 months. They require a different amount of food than a Husky.

Also, are you feeding the Dane a barf diet? It is highly recommended that Danes are fed barf diets to lessen the risk of gastric bloat/twisting. Visit www.barfdiet.com for more information on that.

Did you read about any of this while researching the breed!?!

Shelteez2
10-26-2003, 07:14 PM

Harnesses don't work well to stop a dog from pulling (unless they are those special no pull ones that put pressure under the armpits) and in fact promote pulling. Think of where harnesses are used typically (weight pulling, dog sledding). Their design allows the dog to use it's whole body to pull something along. :)

Kfamr
10-26-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Harnesses don't work well to stop a dog from pulling (unless they are those special no pull ones that put pressure under the armpits) and in fact promote pulling. Think of where harnesses are used typically (weight pulling, dog sledding). Their design allows the dog to use it's whole body to pull something along. :)

That's what i've heard but BluStang24, Dukedogsmom, and I have them for Honey, Duke & Nala -- It works ALOT better than a collar Nala walks MUCH nicely on the leash. She doesn't pull as much at all and it doesn't choke her.
Eh, maybe it's just our dogs but the harness works well for not pulling as hard.:rolleyes: :)

Desert Arabian
10-26-2003, 07:18 PM
I suggest getting a halter in stead of a harness or choke chain/collar.

Halters work very well for large breeds, when they start to pull, the halter pulls the dead down and stops the dog from pulling. I think they are more effective than a coke chain/collar- also less of a pain for the pup.

Great Danes are too powerful & big for a harness, at least that's what I would think.

dukedogsmom
10-26-2003, 07:19 PM
I don't agree about the harness comment at all. I have one for Duke and it's helped immensley to cut down on pulling and him choking himself. Harnesses are great!

Shelteez2
10-26-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
I suggest getting a halter in stead of a harness or choke chain/collar.

Halters work very well for large breeds, when they start to pull, the halter pulls the dead down and stops the dog from pulling. I think they are more effective than a coke chain/collar- also less of a pain for the pup.

Great Danes are too powerful & big for a harness, at least that's what I would think.

Halters are alright, but there haven't been enough studies in my mind on the effects of it on the neck. Also I've met quite a few dogs who can just lock their necks and pull anyways.

Shelteez2
10-26-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I don't agree about the harness comment at all. I have one for Duke and it's helped immensley to cut down on pulling and him choking himself. Harnesses are great!

It was just a general statement, but that is what they are used for (pulling). They make it easier for a dog to pull.
I'm glad that Duke does well in his harness though, it's no fun to try and walk a pulling dog.

Desert Arabian
10-26-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Halters are alright, but there haven't been enough studies in my mind on the effects of it on the neck. Also I've met quite a few dogs who can just lock their necks and pull anyways.

That's true. I can see what you mean about the neck worries. I was just thinking along the lines of basic pulling on the leash, where the head would be gently pulled down by the halter. If the dog started running and the head pulled down, I could see where there could be neck worries.

dukedogsmom
10-26-2003, 07:32 PM
I didn't mean to sound all excited about it, by the way. I just meant that it's worked for me :)

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
Just thought I would let you know, Tikeyas_Mom that Great Danes have to have their food elevated off the ground. It is a MUST. If they eat off of the ground they take in too much air, and are at risk for stomach bloats/twisting. It also puts TONS of strain on their back since they are so tall and have to bend way down. Great Danes should NEVER be free fed either. Good idea to have water elevated also............

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pf0f5e684db6d13754fc3ca7ed7f088da/fabbd9c1.jpg
I only see two feed bowls here and two water bowls. Where is the third food dish for the Great Dane!?!? Are you letting Tikeya & Dane eat out of the same bowl?! That’s really bad if you are. Danes are only supposed to be fed 3-4 a day when under 6 months, then fed 2-3 times when they are over 6 months. They require a different amount of food than a Husky.

Also, are you feeding the Dane a barf diet? It is highly recommended that Danes are fed barf diets to lessen the risk of gastric bloat/twisting. Visit www.barfdiet.com for more information on that.

Did you read about any of this while researching the breed!?!

calm the heck down. I know about the food elevated and yeah we are going to get a foos bowl holder when she is a lil older. We are not feeding tikeya and the dane out of the same bowl in the far corner where you see one water dish, while there is another food bolw there to. it isnt in the pic though. I already know about bloating and stomach twisting, I have read about it and yes the breeder has already informed us about everything. And I think the barf diet is gross IMO, and will never prefur to feed it.

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 09:27 PM
everyone just informed me that they changed her name AGAIN!!! :mad: poor pup is going to be soo frigging confused...

It is now back to "baby" :rolleyes: lets hope it stays baby from now on .. :rolleyes:

anna_66
10-26-2003, 09:47 PM
What a beautiful puppy you've got there! I love danes & wish I could have one too!
The pictures are great:D Be sure to share plenty with us!!!!

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
Don't you think vets would discourage cropping ears? Afterall...it is painful, and your still thinking of doing it? :(

I just wanted to bring up why vet crop the tails off cocker spaniels ect.. When we had cocker pups it was certinly not EVIL or inhuman to dock its tail.. The same thing goes for Dew claw docking, do you all think that is mean??

Shelteez2
10-26-2003, 10:03 PM
I just wanted to bring up why vet crop the tails off cocker spaniels ect.. When we had cocker pups it was certinly not EVIL or inhuman to dock its tail.. The same thing goes for Dew claw docking, do you all think that is mean??

Some people think docking and getting rid of dew claws is mean.
I'm not against anything though.

Dew claws should be gotten rid of if they are not firmly attached as they can get caught on things and ripped off. JMO

wolf_Q
10-26-2003, 10:06 PM

And that is also done when the puppies are only a few days old....

micki76
10-26-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
And that is also done when the puppies are only a few days old....
Exactly. There is virtually no pain then. Or at least the pups don't react in pain.

tikeyas_mom
10-27-2003, 09:56 AM
or they jist dont remeber.. So you dont think it is mean to cropp a puppy ears when it is just little?? humm..

CamCamPup33
10-27-2003, 10:16 AM
baby is soooo cute!! can i have her?! :p more pics! :)

micki76
10-27-2003, 10:36 AM
or they jist dont remeber.. So you dont think it is mean to cropp a puppy ears when it is just little?? humm..

No, I don't think anything of the sort. I think it's all mean and cruel. I wouldn't want my ears cut off, or my tail if I had one. It's mean and unnecessary. I think it’s all about the person’s vanity issues with their dog. That being said, Chester’s tail was docked about 2 hours after he was born. If I could go back and have that not happen I would. I like his little stumpy tail, but I would’ve liked his long waggy tail just as much.

Would I prefer that people at least do it as young as it was done to Chester? Yes, if they feel they have to do it. At least then, as you said, the pain can be forgotten. I would really prefer that people just left the dogs natural, but in a society where people are getting nose jobs, lifts, tucks and liposuction, I’m not surprised that we still feel the need to “cosmetically alter” our pets. Of course, the biggest difference is that people are given HEAVY pain medications to help reduce the agony.

Here’s an excellent article on cropping, docking, declawing, etc.
http://www.idausa.org/facts/cossurgery.html

Kater
10-27-2003, 12:18 PM
Fabulous link, Micki! IDA & API are groups that I strongly support!

If your vet knows his/her stuff then (s)he will surely agree....

Contrary to pro-cropping advocates' claims, there is no scientific evidence that cropping has any effect on the incidence of ear infections.
http://www.idausa.org/facts/cossurgery.html