PDA

View Full Version : Leash On or Off?

Cookiebaker
10-25-2003, 10:06 PM
In the house, do you often keep your pup's leash on or off?

I like to keep Malone on the leash as it's easier to catch him if he gets into something nawtee. Also, he freaks out whenever someone walks in the door, so again, I can usually catch him before he greets a visitor with a hug & a kiss in the face.

But I've also noticed in the past couple of months, that he is wearing it less & less. I guess he is starting to settle down a little bit (a very good thing!!) :)

Shelteez2
10-25-2003, 10:10 PM
Not only are their leashes always off, so are their collars. I almost never put collars on them. *S*

binka_nugget
10-25-2003, 10:26 PM
Same with us. The pups don't wear collars in the house but when I was housetraining Kai, I had him on a leash most of the time.

wolf_Q
10-25-2003, 10:41 PM
Nebo hasn't had to wear a leash in the house since he was a pup. He's actually really well behaved in the house (it's when he gets outside he's the brat :o ) I do keep his collar on at all times. Sure he'd *look* better without it, but that's a risk I can't take. Siberian huskies are not known for their off-leash recall, and they are known to run...FAST...so if he did ever get out, I'd certainly want a collar and tags on him. :)

tikeyas_mom
10-25-2003, 10:45 PM
I leash my dogs outside but not when they are in the house or in the back yard which is fenced..

Dogz
10-25-2003, 10:49 PM
None of my dogs wear their leashes in the house. They only wear leashes when they "go buh-bye" and are training etc.

RebelGuitarist
10-25-2003, 10:54 PM
The only time my dogs wear a leash, is when I'm taking them to the vet or PetsMart... other than that, they're leash and collar free.

Logan
10-25-2003, 10:58 PM
I never remove their collars.......all it would take is one escape with no id and they could be lost forever (even though they do have microchips). Mine never wear a leash indoors. But remember that my youngest one turned 4 years old last April.

I say do whatever is necesary to keep that sweetheart safe!!! :)

KYS
10-25-2003, 11:25 PM
Our dogs: Leashes out in public, not in the house.

(but I have heard that using a leash in the house
for training purpose's is a good training tool.)

Uabassoon
10-25-2003, 11:32 PM
My friend keeps a leash on her dog Saki all the time, at first I didn't understand why but after hanging out with her and the dog for a while I understood. Saki is very hyper and energetic, and when she's running around the house it's almost impossible to catch her. If she didn't keep the leash on her I don't think that it would be possible to catch her.

cali
10-25-2003, 11:40 PM
non of my dogs have ever had a leash on in the house in there entire lives, I have never even heard of it :eek:

K9karen
10-26-2003, 12:39 AM
Cody was collar/leash off inside only. Klo, on the other hand, is a great escape artist and slipped through a slightly opened front door 4x with nuthin on :eek: So having learned my lesson quickly, she wears her collar only except to sleep, so I can make a quick grab if I have to. (She ran up the street to her favorite squirrel abundant tree but trying to collar and leash her was a game of tag. Luckily, no cars, and she stopped to poop!) No episodes since the collar is on. She got the message quickly cause she hated it at first.

shais_mom
10-26-2003, 12:50 AM
I should have read the question before I answered the poll b/c I answered sometimes on sometimes off but didn't realize it was in the house. I haven't had Keegan wear a leash in the house since she was a puppy and I was leash training her. But she always wears a collar.

cloverfdx
10-26-2003, 01:12 AM
Our mutts are off lead all the time in the house and backyard (fully fenced) the 2 lil dogs dont wear collars inside as they wrestle and play fight (biting one anothers necks), Clover always has a collar on.

Kfamr
10-26-2003, 01:36 AM
Simba and Nala have collars on 24/7, unless I take it off for a bath or just because they look cuter. :p

They never have their leashes on inside (unless i'm just getting home with them and just drop the leashes) but they ALWAYS have them on outside if we aren't in a fenced in area.

Sometimes I take Simba's off if i'm making him pose, but i don't want to take the chances with Nala.

Too many risks of them getting hit by a car or something.

RubyMutt
10-26-2003, 01:50 AM
Inside, Ruby always has her collar on (unless it's bath time). She only has her leash on when we go outside (besides the backyard, which is fenced... or if we're at an off-leash area).

gkristian
10-26-2003, 01:53 AM
When out in public the leash stays on and in the house the leash is of

Cincy'sMom
10-26-2003, 04:45 AM
We used a house line (a shorter, not as heavy leash) occasionally when we were first training the girls. We haven't had one on them in years :)

Collars are always on.

primabella
10-26-2003, 07:36 AM
Mickey is only on leash when he is out for walks, sometimes in the car (when he's not on leash, it's because he's calm and someone is holding him) or if we are out on the balcony in the front and he is in an excited mood. But other than that, he does really well without a leash.

I would like to have him with his collar on at all times but we don't even have tags for him yet. :rolleyes: (stupid procrastination!) He's not the kind to run out the door either, so I guess that helps.

Moose
10-26-2003, 10:40 AM
Moose never wears a leash in the house. He's actually pretty well-behaved most of the time [a few, occasional hyper moments]. He does get pretty excited when people walk in the door [jumping, barking, etc] but he listens settles down after a few minutes. If he does get outside he'll sniff around a little and come inside when he's called. Aside from his crazy personality, he's actually a pretty good dog. Huh, who woulda thunk it? ;) :)

binka_nugget
10-26-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by primabella
I would like to have him with his collar on at all times but we don't even have tags for him yet. :rolleyes: (stupid procrastination!) He's not the kind to run out the door either, so I guess that helps.

Same. We do have tags but I don't want to damage their coat. I train them not to go out the door unless asked to so..I guess we're covered.

GoldenRetrLuver
10-26-2003, 11:05 AM
I take their collars off when they're inside, and they don't wear leashes when they're inside.
They're pretty well behaved in the house. :)
Anywhere else, (out in public) they always have their leashes on (except for the dog park.) and their collars.

*FlatCoatsRule*
10-26-2003, 01:08 PM
Our dogs have their collars on at all times because they have tags on them and that is a rule with Guide dogs, so I guess we just stuck with it. We train our dogs to not go out the door unless asked, so we could leave it open and they would stay. We also train them, this might be a good idea for some of you, to stay in the yard while we garden or anything so they can just play together out their while we work and we don't have to worry about them running off.

ParNone
10-26-2003, 03:12 PM
Maddie never wears a leash inside and very rarely ever wears
one outside either. When I take her to the vet, I carry her
in and then she just sits in my lap. When we're camping, she
only goes on a leash, if I can't watch her, otherwise I just
let her putter around checking things out.

Murph never wears a leash inside, but is always on leash
outside, except the fenced backyard. Anywhere else outside
and he's leashed. Just don't trust him enough not to chase
after something and not listen to me.

Oz wears a leash inside if I'm having people over, just during
the initial greeting, because I'm still working with him not to
jump on people. He just gets so excited when somebody talks
to him. He's mostly on a leash outside of the house and yard,
except sometimes if I feel the area's relatively safe I'll let him
off leash or I'll have him on a long leash but not holding it.

Edited to add: I'm paranoid about leaving collars on, especially
inside the house. Murph got his caught once and I saw the panic
and realized if I hadn't been home he'd have probably choked
himself to death. So collars only when I'm with them.

Par...

Foam
10-26-2003, 03:30 PM
Oz and Darlin alwaysh ave their collars on except for baths, or sometimes I take them off at nights. :)
Ozzy only puts his harness and/or leash on when we go in the car for a ride, or go somewhere. Darlin won't tolorate her harness, so she gets a collar and leash.
Ozzy wears his collar and leash at the same time. Their harnesses are barley ever left on in the house.

isis
10-26-2003, 03:34 PM
Um, well, I don't keep my dogs leash on in the leash.

Now we are in an small little town. So when I take Sully for a walk on the rode the leash is on!!!! People here just don't care anymore about hitting dogs other peoples dogs!! I mean I'm talking about people who just leave there dogs out all day! without supervision!!! In the yard the leash is off. I've never ever heard of someone leaving a leash on in the house!!