PDA

View Full Version : How about PET TALK?

Dogz
10-25-2003, 04:22 PM
I think most of the thread on Pet Talk should be in the Dog House. A lot of the threads are hurtful, and A LOT of people are involved. I have been involved myself.:( Pet Talk has changed a lot since I first came here, and you know what? It didn't go uphill. Oh no. I love seeing pictures, and I love when people get new pets, and I love hearing about everything! I want to see more and hear more about PETS. I do not want to argue any more. I am getting sick of Pet Talk, and I know a lot of other people are too. So whoevers with me, please share your feelings. Maybe this will make a difference, maybe not, but I hope something does. I want Pet Talk to be the same community as it used to be. I am going to give a big effort to do so, and I hope you do to.

popcornbird
10-25-2003, 04:42 PM
*but I like Pet Talk* :( *sniff*

You know what.........I do agree with you though. Occasionally people get waaaaaaay too hurtful, and often things are repeated 100 times unneccessarily. Know what I mean? We shouldn't keep going and going and going. Just say how we feel, get our point through, and end of story.

On the good note, I really like PT. I mean.............just go to Pet General, Cat General, Dog General..............look at all the pics, read the stories..........they really cheer you up! Personally I like the Dog House a bit these days. I *love* the confessions thread.........he he he. Its that nature, that keeps us all happy. Those kinds of threads. Not the argumental ones.....not the hurtful ones........but the fun ones. If you really think about it, the fun threads probably outnumber the hurtful ones by 99%. Its just that people seem to like posting on the hurtful ones more. He he he he

You know what I find to be the best *treatment* when you're feeling down because of some threads on PT? PM someone, someone you really like and consider a friend here. It really helps to get your mind off those things, and have fun on PT at the same time. :D That's what I do. :p

micki76
10-25-2003, 04:58 PM
I personally am sick and tired of hearing how much this site has changed for the worse or how much better it used to be. If you don’t like something, make a difference in it. Griping about how it used to be won’t change anything and all it does is bring the negativity to the forefront.

Uabassoon
10-25-2003, 04:59 PM
For the most part I don't see what the big deal is, if a thread bothers you then leave it. I see so many people that try to help by asking that it please stop, but the truth is it doesn't help it only makes the thread continue. When I think a thread is starting to get out of hand then I just stop reading it, I don't keep going back to it to make myself upset. If you ignore it, it will go away.

Dogz
10-25-2003, 05:18 PM
I really like PT too PCB! Good idea about PMing someone.:)

I said that Pet Talk has gotten worse, but its not exactly. I didn't really make my point. All this thread was suppose to do was maybe stop some of the arguing. I am not going to leave Pet Talk, but I just don't want it to be an argumental place where whatever click on has an arugment. Most of the threads are good though. I wasn't trying to wine, sorry if I offended you Uabassoon and micki.:)

micki76
10-25-2003, 05:23 PM
Oh Emma! You didn't offend me! :) I just think that making happier posts is probably more productive than pointing out the obvious! :D ;) :p

Dogz
10-25-2003, 05:58 PM
I get what you mean now.:D Great point!

tatsxxx11
10-25-2003, 06:00 PM
I agree with you Dogz on this...and I think everyone else agrees too!! Being hurtful or cruel or argumentative for argument's sake causes bad feelings all around and gets us nowhere and all of us, on occasion, need to think a little longer before we speak; myself included.

Not that we can't have lively discussions! :D But why I came to Pet Talk, and what keeps me here, are the animals, first and foremost and the people who love them, many of whom have become some of my closest friends in "real life!." I enjoy the diversion of the Dog House on occasion, but it is the happy face of a newly homed puppy, the story of a rescued kitten, a
found "lost pet," acknowledging the love that a family feels for their Dog, Cat or Pet of the Day that keeps me plugging along!:) It's called Pet Talk for a reason!:D

I've been with Pet Talk for over 3 years now. Do I sometimes lament the "good old days??" Sure! A lot of old friends are gone and the smaller, more intimate nature of the site is no longer. Geez, back then there was no html coding, "color," "quoting," any only the rare picture posting! It was pages and pages of dialogue in black and white!:D

But change can also be good. There are now lots more animals and people to love and tons of heartmelting photos; we have become a larger more diverse family. And like all families, we sometimes squabble. The bigger the family, the more varied the opinions and perhaps, the more "heated" the discussion. I won't lie. I hate to "hear" Pet Talk people I KNOW care for each other, speak harshly to the other. It's important that we make our feelings known when we feel the need to speak up. But if we do so with a little less harshness, our points perhaps, will be heard more clearly and advice heeded more acceptingly :)

Dogz
10-25-2003, 06:35 PM
Sandra,
Thank you so much for explaining that so well. I hope that everyone understands what I meant when I posted this. Your post will help them understand what I was trying to say.:)

Twisterdog
10-25-2003, 10:16 PM
I personally am sick and tired of hearing how much this site has changed for the worse or how much better it used to be.

For the most part I don't see what the big deal is, if a thread bothers you then leave it.

I agree. There are hundreds of posts I don't read or reply to, simply because they are not interesting to me or I don't want to get involved in the topic. Fine. I just ignore them, though .. I don't post in them and say that they should stop or that they are somehow wrong. Who am I to say what is of interest to others isn't valid ... even if it migh offend me or hurt my feelings somewhat.

It's a public message board, anyone can join. And thousands of people are not ever going to discuss the same things or say the same things or have the same opinions or feelings. Something that offends one person does not offend the next. If someone doesn't like the content of a thread, for whatever reason, then don't open it, don't read it, don't reply to it. Simple as that. Then that person won't be offended or have their feelings hurt. But no one can say what should or shouldn't be said, as long as it doesn't break the official rules of the forum.

KYS
10-25-2003, 11:43 PM
posted by tatsxxx11: It's important that we make our feelings known when we feel the need to speak up. But if we do so with a little less harshness, our points perhaps, will be heard more clearly and advice heeded more acceptingly :) >>>>>>>>

Your whole post was well said Sandra.
I agree, and on the otherside of the coin,
if you come across a thread that is getting nasty, if
everyone would just ignore it, the thread would END.

Karen :)

tikeyas_mom
10-26-2003, 12:56 AM
I think you are totally right Dogz, I cant believe all the fights that have started.. I know it is mostly in my posts, BUT. I think if people have a really big problem with me, dont post it on here email me or pm me or add me to im so we can talk out our probs nicely. :).

catlady1945
10-26-2003, 07:50 AM
I wonder why people read threads which are weird. Some of them are so strange, there seems to be no point - just words strung together. If they look like you aren't going to like the thread - don't read it! Why is it important to make our feelings known? Who cares? Personally, I look at the photos and that's about it. There are really lovely animal photos posted.

2kitties
10-26-2003, 02:03 PM
It's the Dog House. It is not for the completly thin-skinned.

Dogz
10-26-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
It's the Dog House. It is not for the completly thin-skinned.

Exactly.:)

Karen
10-26-2003, 10:37 PM
But no one can say what should or shouldn't be said, as long as it doesn't break the official rules of the forum.

I can! But I'm the Mayor! I think everyone should be kind and considerate of others. Even in the Dog House! I think anything "personal" you feel you need to say belongs in a Private Message or email. I think at times we need to be able to agree in disagree.

I really want Pet Talk to be a "family-friendly" place. Pet Talk is - and always has been - a community of people who care about animals. We agree that every pet is special, and that should also mean that we agree that every person is special.

If a post ever offends you or hurts your feelings, PM me. Please. I'm a moderator, let me moderate!

Pet Talk is a wonderful place and full of wonderful people. New members come and go, but that does not change.

Twisterdog
10-27-2003, 12:34 AM
I can! But I'm the Mayor!

Well, sure. That's what I meant when I said "official." :)

tikeyas_mom
10-27-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Karen
I can! But I'm the Mayor!

can I be mayor lol.. ;);).
j/k...