PDA

View Full Version : How can I get my dog's teeth clean?!

*LabLoverKEB*
06-27-2001, 11:52 AM
Help!! I can't seem to get all that ugly plack (did I spell that right?) off of Sadie's teeth! I do brush her teeth, but that just doesn't seem to work! If you know anything about this, please help me! Thanks! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

------------------
***Sadie May and LabLover*** *Labs Rule*

http://swt.edu/~aw1024/sadiemay2.gif

06-27-2001, 01:19 PM
Hans had the same problem. The vet did it for us. He sedated him and then cleaned his teeth. I'm so glad we did it, his breath was so bad!

shais_mom
06-27-2001, 02:45 PM
You can buy this things ar the pet store called dental rings. Or in a pet catalog, they work very well and you give them to your dog once a week.

------------------
~~~"Noone appreciates the very special
genius of your conversation as a dog does."
Christopher Morley

aprilfools
06-27-2001, 02:52 PM
I have an eight year old lab that since she was little I've used a gauze 4x4 wrapped around my fore finger to rub over her teeth. The roughness of the gauze texture cleans off the plaque and kind of massages her gums as I do it. I also have always dipped that gauze in a product called Act I, anti plaque rinse, bubble gum flavor for kids made by Johnson and Johnson. The original bottle lasted me 7.5 years and her teeth are great says the vet. So easy, the dog loves it, and I don't struggle using the toothbrush and her breath smells like bubblegum. Hope this helps.

Daisy's Mom
06-27-2001, 09:06 PM
What kind of food does Sadie eat? Daisy eats crunchy kibble because it helps clean dogs' teeth. She also gets DentaBones, which are edible bones that take a while to chew up, but they are bumpy and hard and therefore rub her plaque off. I also brush her teeth weekly. Her vet says her teeth are in wonderful shape, so it all works for us http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

*LabLoverKEB*
06-28-2001, 05:00 PM
Sadie eats Iams dog food in the green bag. I don't think it helps clean teeth! Daisy's mom- Is Daisy's dog food just called "Crunchy Kibble"? Maybe i can switch Sadie to that! Thanks so much for all the help guys! :)

Daisy's Mom
06-29-2001, 01:15 AM
Hehe no Daisy eats Purina kibble. The texture is crunchy though, and when she chews it, it breaks off into hard chunks that rub her teeth and scrape plaque off. That is what her vet told me anyway :)

AdoreMyDogs
06-29-2001, 07:02 AM
Bridgette, that is if the dog actually chews her food :) Cassie, my pug, takes the food into her mouth and swallows it without her teeth touching the food :)

And a GREAT thing for getting teeth cleaned is either taking her to the vet for a professional teeth cleaning, and then brushing her teeth on a regular basis to prevent them from getting bad again, or buy a raw beef bone from the grocery store, don't cook it, and give it to Sadie outside. Chances are she will work on that bone for hours, the bone will not splinter as long as you don't cook it at all, and it is very healthy. I gave Graham and Cassie one yesterday and I am amazed at the shine coming off of Grahams teeth now. It's amazing. He kept himself occcupied for aproximately 4 hours on the bone, he slowly broke off little teeny bites and ate them, and now his teeth are completely free of plaque.

Alot of people recomend B.A.R.F. diet (Bones And Raw Food) so I know it is healthy, as long as the bone is fresh and uncooked when given to the dog.

I am going to try giving a raw beef soup bone to Graham every week to keep his teeth clean.

ownerof3dogs
06-29-2001, 01:28 PM
there is a prescription diet called T/D(Tooth Diet) made by Sience Diet. You can get it from your vet. The kibble is larger them normal so the dog has to chew more and it helps to get the Plaqe off

RachelJ
06-29-2001, 02:34 PM
TD is quite expensive. My vet recommended it for our dogs but said just to give them a few after they eat their regular kibble. My dogs love it.