PDA

View Full Version : Hypothyroidism

chermes
10-19-2001, 08:30 AM
Has anyone ever thought that hypothyroidism may come from the use of correction collars? The thyroid is in the neck region and it has a high occurences in breeds that are strong pullers on the lead, like labs and goldies. From what I understand it manifests itself at about the age of 2. Is it really a hereditary thing or are there other causes? Has anyone ever read anything on this and why it occurs? :confused:

AdoreMyDogs
10-19-2001, 09:17 AM
I do know that it is hereditary. My yellow lab had it and he wouldn't pull on his leash, he was well trained. I have never used harsh correction on any of my dogs with the choke collar, he would just get a quick correction and release of the choke chain...he never needed a good, strong correction. He was a rescue, and although he looked like a pure bred lab, we were told that he was a lab/golden mix. Poor breeding stock passing on the genes is the cause as far as I know. Being that he was a "mixed" breed, and he and his siblings were in the shelter, led me to believe that he was the product of irresponsible breeding.

That is an interesting though, about getting hypo, hyper thyroidism from yanking too hard on the choke collar. If my yellow labbie were not as well trained as he was and he pulled on his leash, or he needed harsh corrections with the choke collar, I would think that might apply to him, but I am afraid it didn't.

Dixieland Dancer
10-22-2001, 09:50 AM
I don't know if there is a connection, but as most of you probably know from some of my previous posts.... I Hate Choke Collars! Most people who use them don't do it correctly and it is not good for the dog. The collar should be high on the neck (more up around the ears) and not down around the neck base. A quick pop is what is needed for the correction.

Usually what I see people doing is extended chokes or incorrect placement of the collar. Instead of making corrections around the mussle area of the neck, they are doing it on the throat. Try this.... Place your hands around your neck with your hands around your throat area. Would you like having something tighten right around the middle of your neck?????? Now try it around your ears and mid way on the head. Notice the difference of where the pressure is located. Throat or Mussle. Most people don't know the correct placement of a choke collar in training. That is why I hate them and don't advocate their use unless by a knowledgeable trainer.

Sorry to go off on a tangent here but this is something I see quite a bit of and it really bothers me. I guess it's a pet peeve!