PDA

View Full Version : ice cream a killer?

kiddingru
06-24-2001, 10:46 PM
I have heard that if you let your dog eat ice cream it could kill . Please if this is true please let me know ASAP as we take our 5 month old for ice cream cone Soft Serve
3 times a week. We do not let her eat it fast but if it could harm her please advise.

Karen
06-24-2001, 11:13 PM
I have never heard of a dog being killed by ice cream! Dairy products can cause upset stomachs in some dogs, but as far as I know it varies dog to dog. If your dog seems fine (no throwing up, no eating grass) afterwards, I wouldn't worry.

Daisy's Mom
06-24-2001, 11:44 PM
I have never heard of this either, and Daisy has had her fair share of ice cream in her life, so I don't think it's true. Maybe if it is CHOCOLATE ice cream, since chocolate is fatal in dogs. But I don't think plain vanilla can do any harm.

crow_noir
06-25-2001, 01:06 AM
depending on what type of ice cream depends on how bad it is for dogs. dairy alone is bad for dogs, but nothing 100%serious usually. chocolat is bad for dogs for many reasons. any type of sugar is bad for them, so the higher the sugar content, the worse, the ice cream is for them. and the last thing i can think of. penuts. penuts can be very deadly to dogs. it has to do w/ a gas causing agant in them. though many of us will argue "but i feed my dog penut butter all the time" that doesn't make it right. it hurt me so much when i took it out of their diets. so, penuts and peanut products are major no-no's. those are the only things i can think of.

AdoreMyDogs
06-25-2001, 10:42 AM
I agree with everyone...Ice cream is not a killer but 3 times a week is way too often to give a puppy ice cream! If you must give your dog ice cream, make a fun trip to the ice cream store every month or so, but I would not do it any more often then that. It's not going to do your puppy any good at all if she ends up going that often. She will end up fat, unhealthy, and her coat and overall health will suffer.

I take my aussie mix, Graham, to the Dairy Queen every month or two and treat him to a doggie cup...it's not good for him but because he does not go very often it will not hurt.

Rottie
06-25-2001, 12:32 PM
I've never heard such a thing.

------------------
-Rottie
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/010/Kg/Fr/vi/m895429.jpg

Albea
06-25-2001, 01:47 PM
Did you know that there is an ice cream just for dogs? The name is "Frosty Paws" and you can find it in the refrigerator section of the grocery store, at least in Connecticut. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/rolleyes.gif I don't give it to Carina, but a friend's Airdale is crazy about it. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Albea (edited June 25, 2001).]

*SimButtTwo4U*
06-25-2001, 05:45 PM
My father, Simba and I go to the Ice Cream Shop every once in a while and all ways get Simba a small cone but ask for an bowl and i break up the cone for him in the cup. I doubt peanuts are bad for dogsd because everyone i know had gave peanuts\peanut butter to their dogs for years and nothing has happen to them. And i dont think about any food except for chocolate is bad for dogs. If we can eat this my dog can eat it too!

crow_noir
06-26-2001, 01:34 AM
i've never had any problems w/ it either, and have fun feeding it to my dogs, but i just wanted to share the info i found out about w/ everyone. i read it in a dog health book.
"And i dont think about any food except for chocolate is bad for dogs. If we can eat this my dog can eat it too!"
well, we can eat chocolate, but does that mean we should feed that to dogs too. i won't feed candy to my dogs either. meat, veggies, and fruit. i was actually very down hearted when i read about the penut butter. also, you have to consider, that dogs are not humans. just as caffine and sugar is bad for them, raw meat is bad for us. we can eat avacado, but if you feed it to a budgie it will die. it also goes w/ out saying that all breeds of dogs have different nutritional needs.