PDA

View Full Version : Traits of a Pennsylvanian

jenluckenbach
10-24-2003, 06:51 PM
(me) As a native Pennsylvanian, I can relate to all these thing. (you) As residents of all the OTHER parts of the world, I thought you might like to read this (from an e-mail I received):

> You Know You're From or In Pennsylvania If:
>
> You've never referred to Philadelphia as anything but "Philly." And New Jersey has always been "Jersey."
>
> You refer to Pennsylvania as "PA" (pronounced Peeay).How many other states do that?
>
> You know what "Punxsutawney Phil" ( A Ground Hog ) is, and what it means if he sees his shadow.
>
> The first day of buck and the first day of doe season are school holidays.
>
> You can use the phrase "fire hall wedding reception" and not even bat an eye.
>
> You can't go to a wedding without hearing the "Chicken Dance," at least 1 Polka and either an Italian song (sung in Italian,) or "Hava Nagila."
>
> At least 5 people on your block have electric "candles" in all or most of their windows all year long.
>
> You know what a "Hex sign" is.
>
> You know what a "State Store" is, and your out of state friends find it incredulous that you can't purchase liquor at the mini-mart.
>
> You own only three condiments "salt, pepper and Heinz ketchup".
>
> Words like "hoagie", "crick", "chipped ham", "sticky buns", "shoo-fly pie", "pierogies" and "pocketbook" actually mean something to you..
>
> You can eat cold pizza (even for breakfast) and know others who do the same.
> (Those from NY find this "barbaric".)
>
> You not only have heard of Birch Beer, but you know it comes in several colors: Red, White, Brown, Gold.
>
> You know several places to purchase or that serve Scrapple, Summer Sausage (Lebanon Bologna), and Hot Bacon Dressing.
>
> You can eat a cold soft pretzel from a street vendor without fear and enjoy it.
>
> You know the difference between a cheese steak & a pizza steak sandwich
and a Primanti's, and know that you can't get a really good one outside PA.
>
> You live for summer, when street and county fairs signal the beginning of funnel cake season.
>
> Customers ask the waitress for "drippy eggs" for breakfast.
>
> You know that Blue Ball, Intercourse, Climax, Bird-in-Hand, Beaver, Moon, Virginville, Paradise, Mars, and Slippery Rock are PA towns.
>
> You know what a township, borough, and commonwealth is.
>
> You can identify drivers from New York, New Jersey, Ohio,or other neighboring states by their unique and irritating driving habits.
>
> A traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a horse-drawn carriage on the highway in Lancaster County.
>
> You know several people who have hit deer more than once.
>
> You carry jumper cables in your car and your female passengers know how to use them.
>
> You still keep kitty litter, starting fluid, de-icer, or a snow brush in your trunk, even if you live in the south.
>
> Driving is always better in winter because the potholes are filled with snow.
>
> As a kid you built snow forts and leaf piles that were taller than you were.
>
> Your graduating class consisted of mostly Polish, German, & Italian names.
>
> "You guys" and "ynz" is a perfectly acceptable reference to a group of men & women.
>
> You know how to respond to the question "Djeetyet?" (Didyoueatyet?)
>
> You learned to pronounce Bryn Mawr, Wilkes-Barre, Schuylkill, Bala Cynwyd, Conshohocken, and Monongahela.
>
> You know what a "Mummer" is, and are disappointed if you can't catch at least highlights of the parade.
>
> You actually understand these jokes and send them on to other
> Pennsylvanians. Plus friends who you want to know --- why you think the way you do.
>
>
>

Dobiegirl24
10-24-2003, 07:03 PM
LOL! Most of this stuff I just assumed everyone in the US did it or knew what it ment.:D ;)

jenluckenbach
10-24-2003, 07:05 PM
Me TOO !!! That is why I can't wait until they comment on those things that they never heard of.........LOL

Cinder & Smoke
10-24-2003, 07:32 PM
:eek:
Ya mean SUM people mite not unnerstan all dis!!??

Having been raised and learning to *speak* (if that's what P-burgers claim to do :p ) in a suburb jest south of P-Burg...

Nunna Dat seems the least bit *strange* to ME! :D

I'll have to try and find the really funny web site that
lists many of the "strange" phrases and pro - make that MIS-pronunciations
the typical PixBurger uses in conversation...

/s/ Phred

Aspen and Misty
10-24-2003, 08:11 PM
**bump!!**

neko1
10-24-2003, 08:16 PM
As a native from Nazareth, this was great!!!!

Still to this day, Brian makes fun of me for pronouncing Bethlehem as Beth-lem!

My family is PA dutch and yet I hate shoo-fly pie!!!

Logan
10-24-2003, 09:26 PM
I hope K9Karen sees this. I think I'll email her the link, just in case!!! :)

Logan, from WAAAAAAAAAY down South

lovemyshiba
10-24-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by neko1
As a native from Nazareth, this was great!!!!

Still to this day, Brian makes fun of me for pronouncing Bethlehem as Beth-lem!

My family is PA dutch and yet I hate shoo-fly pie!!!

My husband grew up in Easton, and he pronounces it the same way!!!!!

Jen these are great!! I got them in an email a year or so ago, and lost them, and just yesterday I was shopping, and saw the electric candles, and thought of this!!
Thanks for posting it!!!

I don't know what shoo-fly pie is :o

popcornbird
10-24-2003, 10:36 PM
As a non-Pennsylvanian, I can SOOOOO *NOT* relate to this stuff! Philly? PA? Gosh, never knew that! WOW! Americans can be SO different, being from the same country, but different parts. :p I think our accents sort of differ as well. Kinda. Southerners have a different accent that's for sure! WOW! Thanks for sharing! SO very interesting! :D Nice to learn more about you PA'ans! :p

Pam
10-24-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba

I don't know what shoo-fly pie is :o

Although I live in NJ now I was born and raised in PA! Shoo-fly pie is a pie which is sort of like a molasses pie with a crumb topping. If you have ever been in Lancaster County you have seen it! Somewhere in this house I have a Pennsylvania Dutch Cookbook and if I can dig it out I'll post the recipe. :)

Aspen and Misty
10-25-2003, 10:50 AM
I tend to ALWAYS refer to Pennsylvania as PA. I just learned how to spell Pennsylvania last year :D but when people ask where I'm from I'm like PA. You? LOL. :D

mmmmm Shoo Fly Pie!

Ash

sasvermont
10-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Thanks Jen, I enjoyed reading all the familiar expressions and words! Made me homesick....and hungry for a Philly Cheese Steak.

mugsy
10-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Well, honestly, I was born, raised, and still live in Indiana and most of those things fit Hoosiers too. I have an email somewhere that is incredibly similar. Do you think maybe it's because the northern half of Indiana was settled by people coming from PA and OH?? lol

K9karen
10-25-2003, 11:57 PM
"Djeetyet?" = "No, Jew"? (not offense to any of us of that background..that's what the answer sounds like!)

Lest we forget the famous "South Philly'.."Yo! Youse guys!"

I think this may just be me, Jen,,but I say "wuder" instead of "water", so sometimes I have to actually say "H2o" (esp when I go to Canada, it drives them nuts! Ay?)

:eek: I related to everyone of them! Logan's head must spin when I talk to her over the phone! Been told I have a very thick Philly accent!

BTW.. people in PeeA don't even know how to spell it or Philthadelphia..just kidding but some people say that but it's much better I swear. Philadelphia is just Phila to most everyone.

Thx Jen, this was pretty cool.

krazyaboutkatz
10-26-2003, 01:20 AM
I was born in Philadelphia and then lived in Wayne,Pa. until I was 8 years old. I can relate to a few of these though. Me and my brothers always tease my Mom,who is from Butler,Pa.,when she says toast because she says it like toost with a long o sound. :)

We moved to Greenville,S.C. when I was 8 so I ended up picking up a southern accent along the way. I never realised this until I moved to Ca. because in S.C. people always said that I sounded like I had a northern accent. :) Now when I talk to a friend who still lives in S.C., she sounds very southern but she didn't when I used to live in S.C.:)

delidog
10-26-2003, 08:20 AM
Jen,
May I Please add #21????
Do not forget in the last 2 weeks of May...
Devon Fudge..life just wouldn't be the same!!!

Devon Is Heaven!!!!

Reporting from the Dixon/Wannamaker Oval!!!;)

Kendra
10-26-2003, 09:32 AM
Being from Ohio, I don't refer to Philadelphia as "Philly" and New Jersey as "Jersey." Although, I'm going to start today!

I didn't know that the first day of buck and doe seasons were school holidays. -Is that true? Around here, people do take time off of work for them.

I never heard of a "fire hall wedding reception", the "Hava Nagila" or foods such as crick, drippy eggs, scrapple, pocketbook, or hot bacon dressing. A cold soft pretzel from a street vendor (they're called Roach Coaches in Cleveland) doesn't sound appealing.

We can buy alcohol anywhere!

I can't recall what a "hex sign" is.

We certainly don't have "Mummer" parades around here.

But, you know you are from Ohio if ...
1.You don't think of Florida first when someone mentions Miami.
2.You snicker when someone's from Tiffin, because you think of the State Hospital.
3.You think Pro football teams are supposed to wear orange!
4.You've heard of 3.2% beer.
5.Schools close for the state basketball tournament. Deer season, too.
6.You're proud of your state fair, but would rather go to Cedar Point.
7.You know all the 4 seasons: Winter, Still Winter, Almost Winter, and
Construction.
8.You live less than 30 miles from some college or university.
9.You know what a buckeye really is, and have a recipe for candy ones.
10."Toward the lake" means "north" and "toward the river" means "south"
11.You've heard of the Great Nickel Beer Night Riot.
12.You know if other Ohioans are from southern or northern Ohio as soon as they open their mouths.
13.You root for a college team though you've never taken a class.
14.You can spell words like Cuyahoga, Olentangy, Bellefontaine, and Tuscarawas *(Wapakoneta?) and you know which letter is doubled in "Cincinnati."
15.You always visit more than two amusement parks in one summer.
16.You know that Serpent Mounds were not made by snakes.
17.You know what game they're playing when the Mud Hens take on the Clippers.
18.A "vacation" day means spending a day at Cedar Point or King's Island.
19.You measure distance in minutes.
20.Down south to you means Kentucky.
21.Your school classes were canceled because of cold.
22.Your school classes were canceled because of heat.
23.You've ridden the school bus for an hour each way.
24.You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
25.You know what's knee-high by the Fourth of July.
26.You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. Example: "Where's my coat at?"
27.You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.
28.You think of the major four food groups as beef, pork, beer, and Jell-O salad with marshmallows.
29.You carry jumper cables in your car.
30.You know what pop is.
31.You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
32.Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.
33.You think sexy lingerie is tube socks and a flannel nightie.
34.The local paper covers national and international headlines on 1 page but requires 6 pages for sports.
35.You think that deer season is a national holiday.
36.You know which leaves make good toilet paper.
37.You actually get these jokes then forward 'em to all your OH friends!

jenluckenbach
10-26-2003, 12:59 PM
:D LOL at OHIO!!:D
We should have more states post their "list!":D

Pocketbook is a purse (not a food)
And crick is usually how we say creek (as in a small river) but we have been known to have a crick (pain) in our backs, too.

Cinder & Smoke
10-26-2003, 06:20 PM
Dad wunders why we nebber lissin... ??

Here's why - dis iz da way he Tawkz... :eek:

http://www.pittsburghese.com/ (http://www.pittsburghese.com/)

It's a BIG site...
Go to the "Study The Glossary" - *nouns*, *verbs* *places* :cool:
for a start...

And what's REALLY SCAREY ~
Folks who live in/around PixBerg
Really DO "talk" like this!! :eek: :p

:D

delidog
10-26-2003, 08:12 PM
Jenluckenbach,
Please say it isn't so....are you from PA.????
and are not familiar with Devon Fudge????
If not,Please say that you will try it this May....it is Heaven!!! Devon is Heaven!!

Cincy'sMom
10-26-2003, 09:43 PM
I gues OH is close enough to PA, cause I knew most of the those...and of course all the OH ones!!! Too funny!!!

jenluckenbach
10-27-2003, 04:51 AM
IT'S TRUE, :o I do not know what Devon fudge is.......why do you get it only in May?

delidog
10-27-2003, 05:16 AM
because that is when the Devon Horse Show is held!!!
It is in Devon,Pa. next to King of Prussia...
2 weeks long...to benefit the local childrens' hospital...the local ladies spend Weeks before baking the Devon Fudge!!
It is to Die For!!!
The Wannamaker Oval is the main ring...used to be the Dixon oval when Mr.Dixon (Philly 76ers owner) sponsered the show
It is also right next to Valley Forge where there is another great Grand Prix usually in April

Karen
10-27-2003, 07:13 AM
Found this one for Massachusetts:

You Know You're from Massachusetts if...

1. You've slammed on your brakes to deter a tailgater

2. Your favorite adjective is "wicked"

3. You remember when the "Fleet Center" was "The Boston Garden" and refuse to refer to it as anything BUT "the Gahden"

4. Know at least three Tony's, one Vinnie and a Frank(ie)

5. You go to the "packy" not the "liquor store"

6. Paranoia sets in if you can't see a Dunkin Donuts, ATM or CVS within eyeshot at all times.

7. Know how to claim your space on the T - Know what the T is

8. You keep an ice scraper and can of de-icer on the floor of your car ... year round

9. You still try to order curly fries from Burger King

10 You know how to pronounce Worcester & Peabody

11 You know where the Combat Zone used to be and still avoid that area

12 You don't eat dinner; you eat "suppa"

13. Pepsi, Coke, Sprite, etc are not called "soda", they are "tonic"

14 You order iced coffee in January

15 You can curse in Italian...only you don't say "curse" you say "sweaa"

16 You don't understand the purpose of a crosswalk and therefore refuse to use them, even outside of Boston

17 You know what candlepin bowling is

18 You have tried to drive the measured mile in less than 45 seconds.

19 You drive 45 minutes to New Hampshire to save $5 in sales tax

20 The whole 'Big Dig' mess drives you nuts unless you are spooning it from Brighams.

21 You know what Brighams is and it shows

22 You've used the statement "not fa nuthin" in conversation.

23 You serve bread with every meal.

24 You feel compelled to hear at least one weather report a day.

25 You've pulled out of a side street and used your car to block oncoming traffic so you can make a left.

26 You've bragged about the money you've saved at The Christmas Tree Shop

Though some of them (at least 13, 19, 22) don't apply to me personally ...

BTW, I am not from PA, but I do know what shoo-fly pie is. I was reading a book that mentioned it in school when I was a kid, so I found a recipe and made one. We all decided it was just toooooo sweet! so it was a one-time thing!

jenluckenbach
10-27-2003, 07:26 AM
You've slammed on your brakes to deter a tailgater
LOL....I'VE done that !!!!!!!!!!

And I don't think shoo-fly pie is TOOO Sweet.:D You'd better try some made in PeeA. ;)

By the way, I love the list from Mass. too. Anyone else got one???

lovemyshiba
10-27-2003, 07:34 AM
Delidog, are you a Pennsylvanian????

I have never had Devon fudge either--but you've made me want to try it!!!

Denyce
10-27-2003, 09:45 AM
This was very funny. :D
I am a transplanted Califonian into the mountains of Central PA since 1987. I have lived here longer than I have lived anywhere else since, yet there are a couple of things I still just can't understand. The first one being the concept of burn barrels. *shaking my head* Although having grown up in San Diego I am sure you all understand now why those just drive me nuts. The other thing is Reading. Ok. As far as I am concerned the correct pronunciation of this word is just as if you are READING a book. Not Redding. If Reading was suppose to be pronounced Redding shouldn't it have been spelled this way?? :confused:

Denyce

Edwina's Secretary
10-27-2003, 12:04 PM
Two years ago we had our annual family gathering at the Slovenefest in SNPJ Bourogh in PA (eat your heart out!) We were totally baffled by the process of buying liquid refreshments. So while on a excursion to Bridgeport Ohio (my father's hometown) we decided to stop and make our purchases there. In the car was my brother, my sister, a cousin, my brother's 8 year old daughter, my husband and me (it was a big car.)

We pulled into the parking lot of a store and went in, planning on using the toilets as well before our trip back to PA. That business accomplished, we went to make our purchases. We were told we had to get back into our car and drive into this large garage. Drive-in sales only.

We start to get the giggles. We ask what wine they have...pink or purple was the response. We bought a chocolate milk for my niece and a hard lemonade.

Thank goodness we had used the facilities! As we were pulling out the clerk came running out, gave my brother a brown paper bag. She told him if he was going to drink the hard lemonade while driving he should put it in the bag in case the police were about. (That would fool them. What police officer would think there was LIQUOR being drunk behind that paper bag!)

We laughed all the way back to PA.

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-27-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

> You know what "Punxsutawney Phil" ( A Ground Hog ) is, and what it means if he sees his shadow.
>

I know 'cos I saW GroundHog Day!!!! Such a cool movie

>
> At least 5 people on your block have electric "candles" in all or most of their windows all year long.
>
That's nothing. When I was touring Europe this summer we stopped in at a gorgeous old Catholic church in Bilbao, Spain. You know how you can Make a donation and light a candle.................these guys still had a collection box, but you paid your money and PRESSED A BUTTON and an electric candle lit up!!! It was SO TACKYY!!!!!

>
> You can eat cold pizza (even for breakfast) and know others who do the same.

Whats wrong with cold pizza - it's one of three basic food groups in my house!

> You still keep kitty litter, starting fluid, de-icer, or a snow brush in your trunk, even if you live in the south.
>
PLEASE, oh PLEASE fill me in re the Kitty Litter - I am fascinated!

>>
>
> :o

Samantha Puppy
10-27-2003, 01:20 PM
I knew all that stuff and I'm a born and raised Marylander. Close enough, I guess.

jenluckenbach
10-27-2003, 01:29 PM
> You still keep kitty litter, in your trunk,
To use as "grip" on an icy roadway.

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-27-2003, 01:53 PM
Thanks Jen - that makes sense - although we DON'T have much need for that in Bahrain:rolleyes:

delidog
10-27-2003, 08:39 PM
Emily,
I am not From Pa.,But i spent 17 years working in Devon,Valley Forge,Collegeville,Harrisburg,Sewickley,Bryn Mawr,Mechanicsville...and lets not forget the good ole' University of....Pa.