PDA

View Full Version : Pepper's dear Bourbon crosses Rainbow Bridge...

Cinder & Smoke
10-15-2001, 11:20 AM
Pepper :( writes:

"It is with a very heavy heart that I tell you that I had to send Bourbon to the Bridge on Thursday afternoon, 10/11/2001. He had a seizure early Tuesday morning which left his left side stiff and paralyzed. He rallied on Wednesday, sitting up and eating. But on Thurday, I knew it was time. I spent every minute with him. I miss him so much. I am in a deep, dark place right now. /s/ Pepper"

10-15-2001, 11:27 AM
Oh my.... how awful. His suffering is over though. What a little trooper he was. I am so terribly sorry Pepper. I wish I had more words of comfort... but you will find them in your own time.

My heart goes out to you as well as my prayers. I will add his picture to my rainbow bridge page.

Take care and God Bless sweet Bourbon.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
10-15-2001, 11:59 AM
How awful! Poor Bourbon... and poor pepper. She did everything humanly possible to help Bourbon live as long as possible. Every living creature has its time, and Bourbon lived a long, full life. Thanks to pepper, that life was full of joy and companionship, and was fairly pain-free until the end.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven"
-ECCLESIASTES 3:1

kobieeli
10-15-2001, 12:07 PM
Pepper, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Bourbon. I know you did all you could, and you did the right thing, and Bourbon will wait for you.

AdoreMyDogs
10-15-2001, 12:37 PM
Pepper, I am so very sorry about Bourbon. I know how much it hurts and I am so sorry that you, or anyone, has to go through that amount of pain. I cried when I read this post. I cried alot. I know how much you tried with your Bourbon friend and I know he knew what you tried to do for him. We all feel the loss of your friend, as we all are like one big family here on Pet Talk. Bourbon went to a good place and I am glad I had a chance to "meet" him before he began his new journey.

Peace be with you in this time of grieving,

-Leslie

purrley
10-15-2001, 12:47 PM
Pepper - I just read your post and I'm so sorry about your loss. The tears are flowing because I know how much this hurts. Please know that my prayers are with you in the days to come for I know there will be some tough ones. Love goes out to you always. God Bless You!!!!

tatsxxx11
10-15-2001, 01:26 PM
Dear Pepper
I am so very sad to read that beautiful Bourbon has passed. It is hard to type for the tears. He was so special, so beautiful and so loved. I never met him, but fell in love with him the first time I saw his picture. I kept his picture taped to my noteboard and loved looking at his sweet face. I hoped and prayed so hard that he might be with you just a while longer. I know what you did was the best thing. Still, the pain can be almost unbearable. He was the bravest boy.

You fought the best you could dear Bourbon. You are my hero. Now you are free from your pain and suffering, whole, healthy and running with joy there with the other fur angels at the Bridge. I know you will wait there patiently until you and your mom are together again. We all love and will miss you so much precious Bourbon.

Pepper, you are in my heart and my prayers as you find your way through this sadest time. Try, as hard as it is, to think of the beautiful years you shared. I know after a time, those memories will bring you such comfort. Love Sandra

TheAntiPam
10-15-2001, 01:35 PM
Pepper, I'm so sorry to hear that you had to say goodbye to Bourbon. I'm glad you could be with him to the last. So many PetTalk people will remember his story, and how hard you tried to help him live a good life. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Dixieland Dancer
10-15-2001, 01:55 PM
Dear Pepper,
You are in our thoughts and prayers. Remember the joy and love Bourbon gave you and think on these things to get you through. You will see his sweet smiling face again when he meets you at the Bridge!

Sudilar
10-15-2001, 06:43 PM
Oh, Pepper, I am so, so sorry. I wish Bourbon could have stayed with you a bit longer. I know how much it hurts. I know how empty you feel. I cry with you....
Nothing will take the pain away right now, but it will get better. It will take time. You will never forget Bourbon and all the happiness he brought you.
You were there for him and he knows it. You loved him with all your heart. He will be waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge with my Wolf and Avalanche and all of our Pettalk furbabies who have passed.
Remember the good times and know that you were blessed with having known him. My heart goes out to you.

Sue

lizbud
10-15-2001, 07:14 PM
Pepper,
I am so very sorry that Bourbon is no longer
with you...You both fought so hard for so
long. Along with everyone else here, I feel
your loss personaly; as if we all shared a
part of his life thru you.I know Pepper, that Bourbon was a 'Heart Dog' to you and
you feel his loss most deeply!!!
Please know that Bourbon was loved by
everyone here for the very Special Soul
that He was...
You are in my thoughts and prayers...

zippy-kat
10-15-2001, 07:28 PM
Pepper,
I'm very sorry about your loss. We're here for you if you need us.

In His name,
Tonya

Stenograsaurus
10-15-2001, 08:30 PM
When I first read this post, the first words out of my mouth were, oh, no. Pepper, I know that this is a very difficult time for you but you must remember that you did everything possible for dear, sweet Bourbon. He knows that and he'll always love you for that. He's looking over you now saying thanks. I am sending you a hug and some strength, Pepper. Take care of yourself and please come back. This group is a wonderful place for support.

Daisy's Mom
10-15-2001, 10:43 PM
Oh my gosh... I am so sorry. I can't even express to you how sad I am over your loss. My heart goes out to you. At least Bourbon is in a better place now :(

Gio
10-16-2001, 06:28 AM
As I posted under the other topic, I'm very sorry to hear about your terrible loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Bourbon.
Take care
Gio

RachelJ
10-16-2001, 06:58 AM
I posted under the other topic as well. Just want you to know that I'm thinking about you.

jackiesdaisy1935
10-16-2001, 09:02 AM
The same with me, I posted under the other topic, but my heartfelt sympathies are with you right now.
Jackie

gini
10-16-2001, 10:30 AM
I was so sad to read your post. Tears came to my eyes as I read it. I am sure that Bourbon is looking down at you now with so much love and gratitude for all that you did.
My heart goes out to you in your loss.

Love, Gini

Cinder & Smoke
10-16-2001, 11:02 AM
Dear Pepper ~ I share your grief with Bourbon's journey to the Rainbow Bridge. Always remember the good times, the times of joy, that he shared with you. And know that he will also remember those same years of happiness he spent with you, his Mom. /s/ Phred

karen israel
10-16-2001, 01:42 PM
Oh, Pepper, I am so sorry for your loss. I'm sorry I'm replying late, but I honestly could not muster the courage to write sooner. Believe it or not, I don't express myself well at times like this cause it's so devasting for me to even think about. I pray I have your selflessness and courage to do the right thing when the time comes. There can be no better expression of true, unrelenting, total love.
I was off from work a few days last week, and saw on TV, John Edward, a medium who speaks for the departed..Anyway, all the people he spoke to in the audience were so shocked BUT he asked one lady if there was a dog with a "liquor" name. The woman thought, said no, then totally jumped up and said it was her dad's poodle "Brandy". He then said her father and Brandy were side by side.
Well, it sounds freaky, but I found it very comforting to know that our pets go to heaven and that we will meet again. That's heaven to me. So I hope that helps relieve the pain a wee bit.
My thoughts and prayers are with you!!

Albea
10-16-2001, 02:30 PM
Dear Pepper:
I sent you an e-mail yesterday, I hope you got it. Once more I wanted to let you know how much we understand and share your grief. You did what was right for Bourbon and I'm sure that from his place at Rainbow Bridge he's looking down and sending you his thanks for your love and the happy years you gave him. Imagine all the new friends he's making there! He may even run into my two Golden girls: Natasha and Irina.
No other dog will take the place of Bourbon in your heart, but I'm sure you have enough love to welcome another pup sometime when you are ready.

Cinder & Smoke
10-16-2001, 03:30 PM
Pepper writes...

"I wrote a response at Pet Talk and it didn't post and now I'm having trouble even getting the site open. Please let everyone know I'm hanging in there and I appreciate all of their cards and thoughts? I'll try to get on again tomorrow. I only have the internet at work."

/s/ Diane (aka Pepper, Bourbon's Mom)

delidog
10-17-2001, 04:38 AM
i am sorry that i am late in responding...but iwanted you to know pepper, that you and bourbon are in our thoughts and prayers...and like phred said earler...try to remember the happy times in bourbons' life and know that you gave him a life full of love and caring.....i know that this is a difficult time for you...but we are here for you.....we've been in that place also....the deli dog

Eudora
10-17-2001, 05:29 AM
Oh Pepper, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. i know Bourbon will wait for you and you did the right thing. Maybe my Sugar will play with him... Sugar is my dachschund girl who passed away this year of old age.

joycenalex
10-17-2001, 06:26 AM
pepper, i am so sorry that bourbon left for the rainbow bridge so soon. the only faults that dogs have is that they leave, and leave such big holes in your heart. joyce

pepper636
10-17-2001, 08:29 AM
Albea ~ I got your e-mail, thank you.

I am doing a little bit better, even put on mascara today. I am taking Payton to the vet today (Bourbon's appointment) and will see my vet that was away. It will be heart wrenching, I'm sure. My boyfriend offered to go with me (shock!) and I may take him up on it.

The hardest part is missing his presence. I thought on the way home last night that he will never be in the car with me again. It made me cry again.

I just can't believe I've lost two dogs this year. Five months ago, Bourbon looked healthy as ever. If you had told me he would be gone in five months, I never would have believed it. I don't believe it now.

RachelJ
10-17-2001, 09:16 AM
I wish I knew the author, but I don't. I wanted to change the gender for Bourbon, but I don't want to tamper with the original poem, so we'll just have to do it mentally.

Dog on Loan

I'll lend you for a little time,
A dog of mine God said.
For you to love while she lives,
And mourn when she is dead.
The years they may be six or ten,
Or even a few as three.
But will you, 'till I call her back,
Take care of her for me?

She'll bring her charms to gladden you,
And shall her stay be brief,
You'll have her lovely memories,
As solace for your grief.
I cannot promise she will stay,
Since all from Earth return.
But there are lessons taught down there,
I want this dog to learn.

I've looked the wide world over,
In my search for Master true.
And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes, I have selected you.
Now will you give her your love?
Nor think the labor vain.
Nor hate me when I come to call,
To take her back again?

We answered in sincerity,
Dear Lord, Thy will be done.
For all the joy this dog shall bring,
The risk of grief we'll run.
We'll shelter her with tenderness,
And love her while we may,
And for the happiness we'll know,
Will ever grateful stay.
But shall the angels call for her,
Much sooner than we planned,
Well know the bitter grief that comes,
And try to understand.

jackiesdaisy1935
10-17-2001, 12:37 PM
IN LOVING MEMORY OF DEAR BOURBON

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/004/Ud/3f/nb/Ln99746.jpg

I read this poem still every day after losing Kona, Pepper I hope it will help you too.

THE LAST BATTLE

If It should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this - the last battle - can't be won.

You will be sad I understand
But don't let grief than stay your hand
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes,
Please, let me go.

Take me to where my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
it is a kindness you do for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close-we two-these years.
Don't let your heart hold any tears

Author "Unknown"

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Jackie ]

purrley
10-17-2001, 01:08 PM
Oh my gosh - I'm crying and I'm here at work. Got to get it together!!!. These poems are so beautiful - Pepper I think of you every day!!!!God Bless

KYS
10-18-2001, 02:54 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Bourbon.
Loosing a loved ones tears at your
heart and sole but we are left with
wonderful memories.
Bourbon is in Heavon, chasing
balls and having lots of fun watching over you.

karen israel
10-18-2001, 10:09 AM
Beautiful Tribute to a Beautiful Dog. Sob, sob :(

tatsxxx11
10-19-2001, 04:14 PM
Dear Pepper. The days pass. But not one without loving thoughts of you and beautiful Bourbon. Please know you are not alone and that his memory is being cherished and carried on in my heart. Love, Sandra, Cody and Star

carrie
10-19-2001, 08:01 PM
How fantastic that an animal could have such a dedicated owner!
Not only did you put the life of your dog as a paramount concern in your life but you did your utmost to find help and treatment.

I know I am not the only one here that thinks that the final gift of love was to know, in your heart, when enough was enough.

I am in tears, my heart is with you.

lizbud
10-21-2001, 03:00 PM
Pepper,
Just a note to let you know that you are
still in my thoughs & prayers..Grief has no
time limit, but I pray that God will bring
peace to your heart as you remember all the
happy times you spent with Bourbon...

RachelJ
10-21-2001, 03:15 PM
That goes for me as well. I know that grief has a tendency to weigh heavy for a long time, but have faith that eventually it does lift and you will be able to love again.

shais_mom
10-21-2001, 07:03 PM
First off, I must apologize for not reading this sooner.
My heart goes out to you, as I have recently been there myself. Cry when you need to. Someone on the board said to cry in the shower, and that is where I did it too. Remember that you gave Bourban the best time you possibly could. And he loved you unconditionally. He is now your angel and is at the bridge waiting for you, I hope Bourban and Shaianne and all the other dogs and cats the PetTalk family has lost this year are playing together.

ownerof3dogs
10-29-2001, 12:46 PM
Sorry thayt I am responding so late.

I am so sorry for the loss of your best friend. But I give you so much credit.you did so mouch for Bourbon and I am sure he appreciates it.

Love,
Diana