PDA

View Full Version : Cats w/ collars?

lv4dogs
10-24-2003, 02:27 PM
I am debating on putting a collar on my kitty. Meeko is only 6 weeks old & has fairly long hair. I was just wondering how many people keep collars on their cats? Not quite sure if she will be an outdoor kitty or not yet. Will the collar make her hair more easily to mat up? She was rescued from a ferral mom outdoors 2 weeks ago @ 4 weeks of age & has come a long way. She is almost a total sweet heart now! So far she has not even ventured anywhere near the door so I am hoping if she does not push her luck I can keep her inside at all time. But she will be at least totally an indoor cat for a few months. I know they make the break away collars in case she becomes entangles & what not.

Desert Arabian
10-24-2003, 02:58 PM
Both Dudley & Sammy wear collars (& they are microchipped). Personally, I think all kitties should wear collars, because the microchip alone is not enough. And you never know when the kitty might try and test your luck & run out the door. No, I do not believe that the hair will mat up on a long haired cat. I noticed on Sammy & Dudley that the hair tends to part around the collar.

We ordered the collars off of the internet, and they have special flat tags that slide on to the collar so they don't dangle and jingle. You get to pick out the fabric design and everything!

CLICK HERE (http://www.cdwplus.com/catcollarpage.html) This is the site we ordered them from. They make doggie collars too, and for a reasonable price!

Sam & Dud don't appear to be bothered by the collars.

ADDED: Sammy has the fishy collar (not the bone one), and Dudley has the fern collar! :D

Craftlady
10-24-2003, 03:02 PM
All three wear one with name tag and bell attached. All three make their bells ring differently thus we can tell them apart when they are approaching esp. in the dark :)

PayItForward
10-24-2003, 03:02 PM
I would suggest microchipping all cats inside and outside, just in case she gets lost and loses her collar.

Yes, you should keep her in until she has had all her shots & IMO until she is altered, at around 6 months of age.

Yes, Snapable collars are a must never use other types, as they can be dangerous including flea collars.

neko1
10-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Our kitties don't wear collars. We tried putting one on Neko, but he decided to get the round hook part of the tag stuck behind his canine teeth. It caused quite a bloody mess and an emergency trip to the vet's on a sunday. We also tried a collar without the tag and he also decided he'd rather get it stuck in his mouth and practically choking than wear it.

catcrazylady
10-24-2003, 07:50 PM
None of my nine wear a collar. They compare it to some horrid type of torture! They can twist their bodies in ways that are unbelievable in an attempt to remove it!!:D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif Mine were all ferals too but older than your little baby. I would put one on as soon as possible so she could start getting used to it. I don't think you will have a problem if you start soon. Collars are definately a very good idea.

:) http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif Good luck with your new baby :) http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif

Sirrahsim
10-24-2003, 09:09 PM
my Boomer almost always has on his collar and he has been mirochipped, however the only reason I make him wear the dreaded (to him) thing is because it is in the rulebook where I live. Though technically I'm not supposed to have him at all, I'm at least following the rules regarding: must be "fixed" must have front claw tendons snipped, must be microchipped, and must wear ID collar at all times. As far as I know he hated it at first, but eventually just got used to his new collar. Now I go and buy them according to season, though this year I already have his Christmas collar on him :D :D Bathtime is the only time that he regularly gets his collar removed and I find that when it is time to put it back on him, it helps if I play with him with it for a little while first and then leave him with it for 15 minutes or whatever and THEN come back and snap it on. He just doesn't seem to mind as much:)

Logan
10-24-2003, 09:18 PM
My cats wear collars at all times, with id tags and their rabies certification. Of course, both of mine go in/out, so it is ultra important. Neither of them are chipped, although at times I worry about that. But neither stray far from this house at all, and I know for a fact that no one but me would tolerate Butter. :eek: Just kidding, of course. But if they did tend to wander, I'd chip them for sure.

If you look at Kelly's Phoebe, you will see just how cute a little kitten can look in a collar!!!! :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-25-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by neko1
. . We also tried a collar without the tag and he also decided he'd rather get it stuck in his mouth and practically choking than wear it.

Yep - been there - done that!!! Ally done that too, when she was a kitten! Luckily we were at home when it hppened, but I don't want to risk it again, so Ally is "naked"

bisi.cat
10-25-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
I don't want to risk it again, so Ally is "naked"

Same here with Nellie...She's allowed to go outside and I thought it was a good idea to give her a collar (she's microchipped, too!)...one day while working in the garden I've heard terrible noise from one of the shrubs...I found Nellie stuck in there with her collar and she was really frightened, jumping around to try to free herself...gladly I was around...just imagine what could have happened...this was an elastic cat collar, but it nevertheless happened that she got stuck...ever since that day I am not fond of the idea of having a collar on a cat that is allowed outside...

My vet's cat has a funny tiny green buttonearring in his ear that indicates that he is microchipped, too and has an owner...I guess that's a much better idea to show other people that this particular cat belongs to someone...

catmandu
10-25-2003, 09:34 AM
I tried to collar my cats , with the Ova Flea Collar! Some like them , but Michael hates them , and wont rest until he has ripped the collar off! But if they went outdoors , I would collar them.

lv4dogs
10-28-2003, 01:31 PM
She is getting micro chipped, all my pets are. I am not bothered by tags jingling as my dogs all do. Just wondering if they cause a problem. I doubt I will use one but will try to see if I can find a "safe" one & try it, or at least have it just in case. I am just worried that down the road when & if she becomes a partly outdoor kitty that she may become entangled when I am not around. All my dogs are always in sight when outdoors so if they become injured by their collar I will be there to help, but my kitty will probably be off leash so not sure if I want to take the chance w/ injuries. I guess I am still in the thinking/decision making process. LOL
I should be a good pet owner & keep her confined to my yard... but the nearest yard is quite a ways away & she has plenty to explore on my property.

PayItForward
10-28-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by bisi.cat
My vet's cat has a funny tiny green buttonearring in his ear that indicates that he is microchipped, too and has an owner...I guess that's a much better idea to show other people that this particular cat belongs to someone...
What a good idea. None of mine wears collars but they are all microchipped just in case. But with England having inside/outside cats, I do worry about people trying to take in and/or feed my kitties.

Originally posted by catmandu
I tried to collar my cats , with the Ova Flea Collar!
Just a word of caution about flea collars, some cats have reactions to flea collars and all the fur touched by the collar is shed and doesn't regrow ever.
Now it isn't very common but it does happen. I use frontline to control fleas on our cats but if you use flea collars on a new cat, please check the neck area regularly and remove at the FIRST sign of shedding.

Lallypop11
10-28-2003, 03:02 PM
My 3 cats are indoor cats and don't wear collars. They were each equipped with a small microchip under the skin on their backs before we adopted them at the humane society when they were spayed and neutered, it's about the size of a rice grain. You just fill out the paperwork that comes with the chip and get them registered. If one of them gets out, a satellite can pinpoint their exact location and they can be rescued and we don't have to worry about them choking themselves to death with their collar on a piece of furniture or anything like that. Collars seem like they would be uncomfortable to me. I want my cats to be as free as they can be. Hope that is helpful! :D

Samantha Puppy
10-28-2003, 03:03 PM
Sherman (Maine Coon - long haired) wears collars. On it, we have a name tag, a bell to alert birds and other wildlife he "collects" and a Guardian Angel Kitty to keep him safe. We don't let him out without it.

PayItForward
10-28-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Lallypop11
.....If one of them gets out, a satellite can pinpoint their exact location and they can be rescued.....
With the greatest respect, a microchip can not be located by satellite. I wish it was true, it would make locating Treacle a lot easier ;)

But if one of your cats escaped and ended up in a vets or shelter, your cat would be scanned and would be reunited with you.

Welcome to Pettalk, Lallypop :D

NoahsMommy
10-28-2003, 04:09 PM
Let's see. Out of 8 cats, 6 wear collars. Noah refuses the very thought of it, Noel ripps them off as soon as we turn our backs.

We only use safety collars, so they can easily get them off if need be. :)

momofcats
10-28-2003, 07:05 PM
My long hair cat wears a collar because she goes through moods where her idea of a good time is "her versus the closing door." Collar with bells to know where she is at all times.

My other cat distorts her body, rolls around and simply views collars as torture.

Felicia's Mom
10-28-2003, 07:55 PM
One of my cats wears a collor and one does not. Felicia will not wear one and fights until she gets it off. The one that Beau wears is elastic.

Soledad
10-28-2003, 07:59 PM
Boo will absolutely not tolerate a collar. I've tried a couple of times, and the last time I tried we both decided it wasn't any good for either of us.

Boo nearly choked on his collar trying valiantly to rip the thing off with his teeth. In the process, my arms were torn to shreds but the adrenaline was pumping so hard, I'd felt nothing and thought it was his blood. The whole affair was very messy and violent. I have no interest in getting him used to one as I have heard some horror stories of cats choking to death at home alone as they try to work their collars off. :eek: :(

Because of this, I have not attempted a collar with Bettie. I'm pretty scared of them.

iloverat
10-28-2003, 09:15 PM
I tried a collar on Briggs when she first came to us. At that time, she was an outdoor cat and I thought it very important for her to be tagged. She had her own opinion on the matter and insisted on removing it, time after time. I gave up BUT I also brought her inside to stay. Even though she began her life outside, she has NO interest in going out now. It seems she enjoys living in the lap of luxury which inside conditions offer. Maybe she had a bad experience or 2 when she was on the street because she absolutely runs away from the front door of the house when I open it. She'll rarely venture on the back patio with me but wants back in almost immediately. She seems so happy here. I just wanted you to know that it definitely is possible for an outside cat to turn into a contented inside resident. Good luck!!!

BastetsMum
10-28-2003, 09:19 PM
Bastet is naked too. The thought of putting a collar on her just scares me since she is really active ALL THE TIME. She is microchipped which has saved her on at least one occasion.

shais_mom
10-28-2003, 11:59 PM
Kylie doesn't wear a collar b/c she has sensitive skin due to her rodent's ulcer condition and when she wears a collar even if it is loose, she gets big mats, and it rubs bald spots on her neck.
One time I had a collar on her and when I took it off it had grown into her neck and was starting to get infected. :( So by advice of my vet, she doesn't wear a collar. I am considering getting her microchipped.
I would definately advocate your kitty being an INDOOR only kitty.
They are safer, healthier and live longer. I know people here on PT have indoor/ outdoor kitties, and I hope I don't offend anyone, and I am not implying that if you have outdoor kitties you don't love them, b/c I know better than that. :) But if you live in the country you cat runs the risk of being attacked by wild animals.
(My sister's father in law lives in the city but his indoor outdoor kitty was attacked by a racoon and almost didn't survive the infections that the wounds got) And regardless where you live, it can be hit by car, attacked by dogs or other cats.
And I, myself, just couldn't stand to put a kitten outside when they are little!
:)
Good luck.!!

zippy-kat
10-29-2003, 12:00 AM
K'Cee has wears a collar but is currently nakey, as she's out grown it and I can't find one that I like in her size. (She's also microchipped.)

I encourage you to keep your kitten indoors--it's soooooooo much safer!! If you'd like to take her outside, start working with her in a harness now. Good luck and please, think twice before letting her outside. :)