PDA

View Full Version : Producing milk but has no puppies

ilovehounds
10-04-2001, 01:29 PM
My friends dog the one I have asked about before is not pregnant like she thought she was back in july-aug. but she is now producing milk, what does this mean ???

She rescued this dog for her son and has had nothing but trouble with it the poor girl. Just days before the dog was to be spayed an unfixed stray dog got into the backyard, fortunatly she is not pregnant but now this. She does have a vets app. but would like to find something out ahead of time so she can calm her son down, he is the one who noticed it.

Any help would be great Thanks

carrie
10-04-2001, 06:00 PM
Bitches, if mated or not, go through a huge hormonal strain after they have their season.Their bodies and minds prepare for puppies and the hormonal system supports this to the nth degree. All bitches that have not been speyed will go through this to a certain degree. In a case as your friend's bitch it is called a false pregnancy. It does not sound like a big deal but to the bitch it is a psychological nightmare. Tell your friend to get the bitch speyed as any other action, such as breeding or leaving her until next time will not cure the problem. Speying is the only thing that will stop his/her bitch feeling so confused in the future.

ilovehounds
10-04-2001, 07:34 PM
Thank You so much Carrie, that will make Mike feel much better :D he was sooo worried about her, he just loves her to death.

She has an app. to get her fixed at the end of the month.

So she doesn't need to take her to the vet untill then ??

carrie
10-05-2001, 03:03 AM
A careful eye needs to be kept on her mammary glands as mastitis is common. The vet can give medication to help dry up her milk, I would suggest taking her now to see if the vet advises this as it can be very painful to produce milk and have nowhere for it to go!

delidog
10-11-2001, 05:44 AM
hi houndie!!, i agree with other posts...get her to the vet....you dod not want her to get mastitus....my moms' last border collie sally used to have false pregnancies....she would have symptons,and also would start nesting....she would take the same 8 stuffed animal toys and nest them like they were puppies....the vet put her on hormones of some sort....i hope your friend gets all her rescue hounds opportunities ironed out...for after that she will have a grateful,loving dog for her son....the deli dog ;)