PDA

View Full Version : Never Again

Aspen and Misty
10-23-2003, 10:05 PM
This is a short story I wrote about puppy mills. i thought you all might like to read it.

Never Again

I’m born onto a cold wire floor. My mother licks me from head to tail, her tongue is so warm. I being to nurse, as my bothers and sister nudge in beside me. With my stomach full I being to drift off to sleep. When I awake I begin to explore my home. It’s not to big, which I like, it makes me feel safe. I’m now 4 weeks old and my eyes are open. My litter mates, my mother and me are in a crammed cage. I no longer enjoy the smallness of it, I can barely move. I whine and cry because I’m so cramped, someone hits my cage and tells me to shut up. They mumble something about if they didn’t make so much money they would just drowned me.

I’m now 8 weeks old. It’s been about 5 days since my mother was last fed. She uses all of her energy and strength to nurse us, I know she can’t hold on for much longer. Finally someone puts food in the cage for her. She gobbles it up so quickly us pups don’t get anything. I approach the plate to lick up some leftovers, my mother growls and bites me. As I try to retreat I get my leg stuck in the wire flooring, I hear a snap and yelp very loudly. I can’t stand on my leg any more it’s hurts more then not eating.

The man comes and takes us one by one through the door and we never re-tern. I’m the last pup here. My leg doesn’t hurt as much now. Me and my mother constantly fight over food as there is only enough for one of us. I begin to win the fight. I have scares, bite wounds and bald spots all over me because of these fights. Finally someone comes and take me away. It’s warm here. These people feed me everyday. I always gobble up my food. I don’t trust them though. The women talks softly to me and attempts to pet my head. I only growl and retreat to the corner.

I finally begin to settle in, I’ve been here for 2 weeks. I enjoy cuddling on my humans lap. The youngest always tells me how I came from a place called a puppy mill and how never again will I go back, I like to hear those words, “never again.”

My family takes me to a place that is loud and scary. A man in a white coat comes out and gives me a treat. He rubes me all over and moves my legs up and down, he says my hips and knees feel weird, he is going to have to take x-rays. I don’t know what they are but I wag my tail and give him kisses. He takes me into a room and holds me down on a table.

The next day the man in the white coat calls my parents and tells them he needs to see them. He pulls up my x-rays and shows my family. He tells them that by the age of 9 months I should be in an extraordinary amount of pain and un-able to stand, he tells them this is most likely caused by a genetic diesis passed on by poor breeding. I can feel my human’s hearts brake as he says the human thing to do would be to put me to sleep, he tells them this diesis progresses like wild-fire. My mother grabs me tightly and hugs me with all her might and she begins yelling it can’t be true, it can’t be true.

I go home that night a little confused. He wants me to sleep? And my mom is upset about it? I don’t understand. Through out the next week I’m fed steak every night and taken to the park everyday. I’m let off leash to run at a park full of other dogs. By the end of the week I have an odd stiff feeling in my hips. I think all the running did a toll on me.

We arrive back at the vets office and the doctor gives me a sad look. Tears weld up in his eyes as he tells my parents that my old owners, the ones who did this to me, have been sent to jail and finned 800 dollars on 11 accounts of animal cruelty, one of them being mine. My mother beings sobbing, she tells him in a weak, muddled, voice that the man deserves to be locked up forever for taking her baby away from her. She bends down on the floor and hugs me. I lick the tears from her eyes, I don’t understand. I’m led back into a home like setting office. I jump on the couch and lie down. My mother looks at me and beings crying harder and she says the couch always was her favorite. As the doctor approaches I wag my tail. He sticks me in the leg. A cooling sensation races through my body. I begin to grow tired and yawn. My mother puts my head next to hers and whispers never again will you go to a puppy mill, never again will you suffer and never again will you feel the pain of this world.

Ashley

micki76
10-23-2003, 10:19 PM
Great job, Ash! Very moving. You really need to stop doing this to me, though. :)

Aspen and Misty
10-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by micki76
Great job, Ash! Very moving. You really need to stop doing this to me, though. :)

http://www.wzforums.com/images/smilies/schild29.gif

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/ink/659/sad09.gif <~~Me while writeing this

I'm glad you liked it!

Ashley

GoldenRetrLuver
10-23-2003, 10:45 PM
Wow Ash. That's really good...it made me cry.
Thanks for sharing.

wolfsoul
10-23-2003, 11:32 PM
*cries* so sad :(

Good story though :)

CathyBogart
10-24-2003, 01:39 AM
So sad, so moving...

Aspen and Misty
10-24-2003, 03:12 PM
Thanx everyone!

Ash