PDA

View Full Version : I got my eye exam

wolfsoul
10-23-2003, 07:40 PM
I knew my eyes were terrible. I kept telling my mom. At the rate things are going, my eyes are getting 25% worse each year. If it keeps going like that, that means I'll be blind by the time I'm 33! :eek: I don't think that it will get that bad...lol.

Right now my right eye is -3.00 and my left is -3.25. Last year it was -.200 and -2.25 .

The optometrist said he didn't know why my eye was blurry the other day. He said maybe it was just dry.

I got this awesome new thing done. They took pictures of the back of my eye! I got to see the pictures, it was so cool. I saw my retina, and the blood vessels and stuff. The otpometrist said that my retina and optic nerve and everything looks great and healthy. So that means that it should stay that way, hopefully.

Sooo this means a new prescription which would cost me $173 (that I don't have) when included with the shine resistant coat. It will cost $200 (Again, I don't have) if I get the lenses thinned. I want to get them thinned because my eyes are so bad now that my lenses will be thicker than the rims on my glasses. The thickness won't be as noticable since my glasses are plastic, but still. But then if I get the thin ones, you can see your eyes better and alot more clear, and I don't want anyone to notice that I don't have eyelashes lol. Even though everybody says they never notice.

So no matter what I do, I lose. :eek:

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-23-2003, 07:43 PM
Yeah, my eyes are really bad too. I'm at... -3.25 and -3.75 I think, don't know, haven't looked at my contact box lately... lol

neko1
10-23-2003, 09:19 PM
I'm at -6.00 and -6.50 and still getting worse every year and I'm 26!:eek:

micki76
10-23-2003, 09:25 PM
I don't know my prescription, but I just spent $325 at the eye Dr.!

Karen
10-23-2003, 11:20 PM
When I was 12 or 13, my eye doctor told my mom that if my eyes kept getting worse at the rate they were, I'd be blind by the time I was 20. I don't know what my numbers are, off the top of my head, I am veeeerrrry nearsighted, but still able to see with my glasses! And they did slow down, in fact when I last got them checked, it finally wasn't that big a correction needed - it's been less and less each time since I was about 28 or 30, I think. My glasses are hugely expensive, but sight is priceless!

Do get the compressed plastic lenses. They are wonderfully light, and easier to keep clean (but get to scratch-resistant coating). And if anyone rudely asks why you don't have eyelashes, ask them why don't they have manners? ;)

wolfsoul
10-23-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Karen

Do get the compressed plastic lenses. They are wonderfully light, and easier to keep clean (but get to scratch-resistant coating). And if anyone rudely asks why you don't have eyelashes, ask them why don't they have manners? ;)
LOL :)

Yes, I'll definatly get the scratch resistant coat. You should see how scratched up my glasses are now. :eek:

Wow neko, your sight isn't good at all! :eek: That's too bad. Yours are like twice as bad as mine lol.

One of my worst fears is not being able to see anything. Oh man, that would be scary. My friend told me today that if I went blind, she'd go out and get me a sheep and tell me it was a seeing eye catahoula leopard dog. :rolleyes:

anna_66
10-24-2003, 07:48 AM
Sorry to hear your eyes are getting so bad Jordan.

Mark has TERRIBLE vision since he was about 2 or 3 and it kept getting worse every year too:( He's worn coke bottle glasses all his life.
But next week he's going to have surgery on his eyes (no, it's no lasik) & hopefully he won't need to have his glasses any more! Of course insurance won't cover it because it cosmetic:rolleyes: but it is going to be worth every penny (around $5000:eek: ).
I hope your eyes don't get so bad where you have to have surgery.

gini
10-24-2003, 11:02 AM
I am glad that you are getting new glasses - and that nothing serious was wrong with your eye.

I just got new glasses too and I about choked on the bill. I deliberately didn't get the designer frames that were expensive.
The frame alone can run several hundred dollars.

Karen, nearsighted? I have been nearsighted ever since I was a kid. But it has slowed down and stayed steady now for years.

catland
10-24-2003, 11:26 AM
the thinner lenses are definately the way to go. I cannot believe how thin my lenses are compared to my old glasses. and lighter too.

Who knows, down the road you might be a good candidate for laser surgery. They've made a lot of advances in recent years.

wolfsoul
10-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by catland

Who knows, down the road you might be a good candidate for laser surgery. They've made a lot of advances in recent years.
I always think about that. It might be something I want to try...But I love my glasses lol. Everyone says they love my glasses and that they make me look sophisticated. :D So I'm not sure. But I could always get fake lenses after lmao.

primabella
10-24-2003, 03:25 PM
My eyes are so lousy also. I have had glasses since I was in grade 3 and still wear them now. I should have my contacts in but I'm too chicken to touch my eyeball :o Each time I get my eye's checked up on I feel so terrible about myself because I'm in the -5's or something :(

Cataholic
10-25-2003, 09:08 AM
Wolfsoul, I am glad there isn't anything 'wrong' with your eyes, and I am sure you look beautiful in your glasses!

I am -2.75, and have been pretty consistent the last five years or so....I can remember when I was -.75...then, jumped to -1.25. So, at least with me, things slowed down.

I want lasik! Anyone have about $2500 to give to a good charity? LOL

micki76
10-25-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by anna_66
Sorry to hear your eyes are getting so bad Jordan.

Mark has TERRIBLE vision since he was about 2 or 3 and it kept getting worse every year too:( He's worn coke bottle glasses all his life.
But next week he's going to have surgery on his eyes (no, it's no lasik) & hopefully he won't need to have his glasses any more! Of course insurance won't cover it because it cosmetic:rolleyes: but it is going to be worth every penny (around $5000:eek: ).
I hope your eyes don't get so bad where you have to have surgery.

I saw a show on TLC where they did surgery that wasn't lasik, but I can't remember what it was called.

What are they doing to Mark's eyes Anna? Is he getting corneal implants?

stacwase
10-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Wolfsoul, my 3 oldest stepdaughters all had the same problem - their eyes got very bad very quickly. I hope you'll be reassured to know that, for the 2 oldest, it slowed down a LOT when they reached their early 20s. The 3rd one still hasn't reached that age yet.

I guess that's how it usually goes - they get a lot worse in the late teens and then slows down or stops in the early 20s. So you probably won't go blind after all! :)