PDA

View Full Version : <BEST FRIENDS Animal Sanctuary Meeting>

wolf_Q
10-23-2003, 06:51 PM
I'm just reposting this as this is a more appropriate section for it.....

Here's the ORIGINAL (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34036&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) thread.

This thread is being started merely to see how many people would possibly be interested in this. You don't have to have anything set in stone yet. (but do know this means plenty of time for you to start saving up! :p)

I just would like to know if anyone would be interested in a meeting at the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. It's the largest no-kill shelter in the nation. I think it'd be *perfect* as they have all kinds of animals such as dogs, cats, birds, bunnies, horses, etc.

Best Friends is located in Kanab, UT. It's the lower part of the state. It's also located near several gorgeous National Parks. People come from all over the world to see them. :)

Here's a website http://www.bestfriends.org/sanctuary/info/visitfaq.htm with more info about visiting the Sanctuary. If we planned ahead we could volunteer to feed, play with, groom, etc. the animals and things like that. You can even stay in cottages right at the Santuary! The dates I was thinking was sometime in the Summer, so if you could go and vote in the poll, we can see what works best for everyone. :D

Kfamr
10-23-2003, 10:05 PM
July!!

Since Lauren said she'd take me if I saved up some money, it'd have to be in July (or maybe June??) for us.

Because of school. Def vote for July though.

Crikit
10-23-2003, 10:28 PM
At the moment I put August as the best month because I'm not quite sure about a couple of things that might be happening in June and July.

micki76
10-23-2003, 10:29 PM
August works best for me. My job is seasonal and we start getting slow in August.

Nomilynn
10-24-2003, 12:03 AM
August for me! Gives me more time to save money :)

ramanth
10-24-2003, 10:42 AM
I would try to squeeze a trip in anytime, even though late August is Dragon*Con and tends to drain my funds. :o :)

Kfamr
10-24-2003, 01:53 PM
Since everyone's saying august, i may not be able to come. School starts early August -- but, anyhow i'd try to make it out there with you Amy..

Are dogs allowed to come with at BestFriends? I'm guessing probably not -- So it probably wouldn't be a good meeting for us anyways, as I wouldn't trust anyone with Simba, or Simba with anyone he doesn't know.

wolf_Q
10-26-2003, 12:43 PM
No, I don't think you can have them with you while touring the sanctuary. If we stayed at the cottages, they *may* be able to stay there (crated) while we're gone, but I don't know.

Would late July/Early August work for the majority? I can't do late August, waaay to many things going on.

Kay, you should try to come out either way...there's plenty of stuff we could do just around here! :)

wolf_Q
12-12-2003, 12:01 AM
*bump*

Is anyone else interested?

wolf_Q
12-12-2003, 06:23 PM
I emailed them about their guest cottages...looks like pets are allowed, so Melissa and I are totally bringing Lady and Nebo! :D I think they would be fine in crates in the cottage while touring the sanctuary, or if quite a few people ended up coming, some could stay with the pets while the rest tour...

But we do need to reserve early so if you think you might be going, try to find out for sure sometime early next year. :) Also I think it's only $25 to become a member of Best Friends, so that would save a considerable amount!

Here is some information on the cottages and on how to make a
reservation;
you and your dogs are most welcome to come and visit. People bring
their
animals all the time and do not crate them unless they feel it is
necessary.
We also have "sleep overs" if you would like to borrow one of our dogs
while
you are here.
How far ahead you need to make your reservations is hard to say; it
kind of
depends on when you want to come. Our busiest season is April, May,
June
and then September, October and into November, along with Thanksgiving
and
Christmas Season. Generally around the first of the year people start
calling me for reservations for the coming year, although I have made
many
reservations for next year already, and the busy season fills up
quickly
then. So if you want to come during our most popular time, I would
make
reservations as soon as you are able. If July or August would be
alright,
that time does not go as quickly.
Please let me know if you have other questions.
thank you,
Diane Young
Cottage Reservations
Best Friends Animal Sanctuary

Cottage Information

The cottages are located on the sanctuary grounds near
the Welcome Center. Deer, squirrels, horses and goats are your
neighbors.
The atmosphere is quiet, peaceful and relaxing.

The wood frame cottages sit in a row overlooking the horse pastures.
One bedroom, with two double beds
Sleeper sofa
1 bath (shower, no tub)
Kitchenette
Small sitting room
Electric heat
Air conditioning
Satellite television
Telephone

We provide: linens, towels, glasses, dishes, pots, pans, refrigerator,
microwave, coffee maker, coffee and tea.

Stay one night or a whole week. E-mail [email protected] , or call
644 2001, x102 for reservations. Cottage rates are $125 a night,
double
occupancy with $10 each for extra visitors.
Sanctuary members receive a 15% discount ($106.25) in the summer
months,
April through October and a 35% discount ($81)in the winter months,
November
through March. We recommend booking as far in
advance as possible, but we do get cancellations so don’t hesitate to
check
for openings anytime.

To make a reservation we need name, address, telephone, check in date,
check
out date and a credit card number along with type of card and
expiration
date, and, the exact name upon the card. As we do not get drop in
guests
the way a regular motel does, we can only fill our cancellations with
visitors from our waiting list. As we
need time to contact those visitors we require a 7 day notice of
cancellation or we must charge one half of the cost of your
reservation to
your charge card. We do appreciate your understanding of our unique
situation.
Thank you.

Kfamr
12-12-2003, 06:28 PM
That's alot of money. :eek: :eek:

wolf_Q
12-12-2003, 06:34 PM
I didn't really think it was that bad...but that's me lol. If you're a member it's only $106 per night. When we went on our trip we paid $80+ for several of the hotels we stayed in, and they weren't even nice ones. It sounds like one cottage could sleep about 5 people.

Course there's hotels in Kanab that are cheaper and there's also several campgrounds...so there's many options. :)

Kfamr
12-12-2003, 06:38 PM
Yeah but it adds up if you plan staying for a weekend or so. :p

I want a "doggie sleepover"!!!

dukedogsmom
12-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Yeah, that doggie sleepover would be great. The cost wouldn't be too bad if there were 4 to a cottage. Although I don't think I'd be able to stay a week. Also, I can't make arrangements for vacation at that time until 2-3 months ahead of time. I guess I could go ahead and reserve and then cancel later if I had to :(

wolf_Q
12-13-2003, 03:37 PM
I'm *hoping* we will be able to make the arrangements by April...at least if you are planning on staying in the cottages, they fill up fast.

wolf_Q
01-15-2004, 10:58 PM
*Bump*

Karen
01-15-2004, 11:14 PM
Let us know when you decide ... no promises, depending on when, but maybe!

Of course, I WANT to go to every singe Pet Talk gathering ...

wolf_Q
01-15-2004, 11:21 PM
I'm trying to find out as soon as I can....

The lady told me to email her with an estimate on the number of people for the cabins, so she could let me know if they were getting filled up.

I don't have much of an estimate yet, I *hope* I will within a couple of months. I'm just paranoid.

As for the time, it will most likely be early August. Rachel/Countrywolf is (hopefully) coming here in June, and we're (hopefully) traveling to Canada in July.

Nomilynn
01-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Amy - I've requested two weeks from work between Aug. 8 and Aug. 21. If my boss says ok to this, I hope that works out :)

wolf_Q
01-31-2004, 10:05 PM
I think that sounds like a good time Nomi. Hopefully it will work out for everyone. :)

Holz_Boomer
02-19-2004, 07:45 PM
hey green_chamelion_girl : im from Ottawa Too!!:) :D