PDA

View Full Version : I need safety meeting ideas

Tonya
10-22-2003, 10:19 PM
I'm the safety person at work. Once a month, I have to give a safety meeting. I am running out of ideas. Can you all give me some ideas on that else I can talk about?

Here are what some of my meetings were about so far to give you an idea:

1. Dog bites
2. dehydration
3. sun exposure
4. electrocution
5. asbestos
6. lead poisoning
7. defensive driving
8. pole climbing
9. ladder safety

Fuzzy317
10-22-2003, 10:25 PM
What are the people these are for, church/vets/hospital/school?

Tonya
10-22-2003, 10:35 PM
Sorry, I guess that is an important detail! I'm an outside technician for the phone company. The safety meetings can be about pretty much anything; it doesn't have to be work related.

Kater
10-22-2003, 10:38 PM
What to do in certain weather related emergencies....whatever is most common in your area. For example in Hawaii I would pick hurricanes.

Fuzzy317
10-22-2003, 10:45 PM
Here are some, may or may not be job related:
[list=a]
tornados
fire drills
hurricane (good suggestion Kater)
driving in hazardous conditions: snow, rain, flood, wind, earthquake, lava (another Hawaii idea;))
[/list=a]

Barbara
10-23-2003, 04:26 AM
I have read that most accidents occur in the households- window cleaning etc. , poisonous cleaner stuff, children and hot stoves etc.

So household safety could be a theme.

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-23-2003, 10:36 AM
How about how to deal with different poisons - ie some poisons should be "brought back up again", and some should not (I assume due the the acidity - some things will do damage again coming back up the way).

Or how about a session on how to splint a broken limb. or immobilise a sprain?

gini
10-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Tonya, I am a member of a local Rotary club. We have just embraced a project called RISK WATCH.

This project happens to be for children K - 8. Because the training for the teachers is intensive and the material very comprehensive it is a bit expensive. The training books are broken down into K -1/ 2-3 grade levels and so on. The teachers are trained, they pass this on to the children and there are tests.
The final session includes a visit by the police and firemen. Both police and fire departments are really enthusiastic about the program. The kids love it because they can get into the police cars, talk to the officers and the fire department brings their trucks.

We have sponsored one school in our area and we are hoping that the word will spread and we can implement it city-wide.

I just learned a statistic the other day. Of all of the deaths between the ages of infant to 35 - the greatest cause is by injury, not illness.

Some of the topics are:

POISONING PREVENTION
CHOCKING, SUFFOCATION, STRANGULATION
FAMILY ESCAPE PLAN
FAMILY SURVIVAL PLAN
MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY
FIRE AND BURN PREVENTIONS
FALLS PREVENTION
WATER SAFETY
FIREARMS INJURY PREVENTION
BIKE AND PEDESTRIAN SAFETY

Although this particular program is geared towards children, much of this could be transferred to an adult education class too.

Another thought and a program we also sponsored, is photo identification for kids. We have seen the results of horror stories of kidnappings etc. Parents need to have up to date
information available with photos for their kids. It should be updated every year.

I could give you more information if you want. (local phone numbers etc. who give you more ideas) If you would like, just p/m me.

Edwina's Secretary
10-23-2003, 12:21 PM
If your next meeting is soon you could do Halloween safety -- for drivers and kids! Then the holidays also offer....holiday decorations...candles. What about insects?

Tonya
10-23-2003, 10:10 PM
Great stuff, everyone! I would love some info, Gini. For the most part I just need topics. With a topic in hand, I can probably find enough material online for the meetings. Thank you very much!