PDA

View Full Version : can anyone tell me

jewelsp67
11-01-2000, 08:57 PM
I have 2 miniature poodles, 1 male and 1 female, snoopy and trixie. can anyone tell me when female poodles go into heat and for how long. also what would be the best thing to do for her when she does go into heat. we don't want her to have pups the first time.shes 9 1/2 months old and snoopys 16 months old. any information would be a help. thanks!

teena
11-02-2000, 08:05 AM
Unless you're planning on becoming a breeder, my suggestion would be to get your pets spayed and neutered as soon as possible. Not trying to be rude or disrespectful, but there are way too many unwanted pets in the world.

AdoreMyDogs
11-02-2000, 08:12 AM
I agree with Teena 100%. There are just WAY too many dogs that will never have homes. There's no need for any more to be bred!

KYS
11-02-2000, 09:42 AM
The first heat usually can begin anytime
from 6 months to 1 yr.of age. Last about
21 days with 4 phases.
You can purchase sanitary pads/panties
at your local pets shop.
You need to SEPARATE your male from your female when you are not supervising.

Spaying your female is MUCH healthier for her.
There also can be costly complications with whelping a litter.
If you still decide breeding is what you
want to do, do it right.
This is just a sample of what one of my friends
went through before she bred her
dog. (she learned about genetics etc.)
researched lines/breeders before
purchasning her next two dogs.
(breeder became her mentor)
2) showed her dogs to see
if they met the standard.
3) had vet run tests, know for this breed.
(OFA x-rayed hips, cerfs and elbows)
4) males hips x-rayed fair. (male not used for breeding and was neutered)
5) researched lines on another breeders
dogs. (checked out health on both lines)
6) found a stud match for her female.
7) complications with whelping. (vet costs
occured)
8) Helping mom take care of pups.
9) more vet costs because one pup is sick.
10) pups are micro-chipped.
11) Finding good homes for the pups, and
willing to take them back if owners
can not keep them down the road.
11) pups guarrantee for health problems.
(even with reputable breeders, health
problems still pop up.)
12) pet pups sold on limited registration
with rebates for proof of spay/neuter and
obedience classes.
13) keep in touch with pet/show owners.

Dollar wise, she broke even on this breeding.

Anyone can just put 2 dogs together to
make a buck. Don't be part of the problem
be part of the solution and spay. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

dogncatluvr
11-02-2000, 12:29 PM
Very, very well said KYS! Please do not be a part of the problem, be a part of the solution: Spay and neuter your pets!

Smilla
11-02-2000, 01:20 PM
We owned a toy poodle once that my parents never got around to neutering when she was young. We had a backyard and no male dogs, so her becoming pregnant was not a worry. What WAS tiresome was changing her pads and diapers all the time--plus, it didn't look like much fun for her! The worst of it was, when she was older, her uterus got infected and unless I remember incorrectly, had to be removed anyway. She pulled through with no problems, and we learned our lesson. Spay early and save your dog (and you) the headache!

Does anyone know if failing to get your dog neutered at an early age is a possible cause of uterine problems later in life, or was this just a coincidence?

carrie
11-02-2000, 03:46 PM
Totally right, pyometra is a major cause of illness and surgery in older bitches that have not been speyed ( it can be fatal if not caught in time and many bitches will be quite advanced before showing obvious symptoms). Speying also vastly reduces to almost nothing the risk of your bitch developing mammary tumours in later life, another common and potentially fatal condition. False pregnancies are avoided and it is widely thought that every bitch will go through some degree of false pregnancy although outward symptoms may not be noticeable. The hormonal changes and emotional upset, which can be severe, that go along with this condition are also eliminated.
Some bitches are a nightmare when in season and will do ANYTHING to escape confinement. They are very good at this when nature calls, and mismatings can be traumatic and expensive and the risk of your bitch wandering into an unknown area is very high.
Too many puppies and not enough good owners is the sad situation we have already put our canines in.

lhg0962
11-02-2000, 04:58 PM
My veterinarian strongly suggested that I have both of my females spayed before they went into their first heat if I didn't have intentions of breeding. We did it at five months old on both females. I certainly didn't need puppies!!! I must admit though, it was a tremendous experience to meet Lilly the week she was born and visit her weekly until the time we were able to take her home at six weeks old. I'm just glad my friend endured the troubles of bottle feeding some of the 14 babies that Maggie (Lilly's mom) had. I just don't think my schedule or Honey would have allowed for it! Honey would have been an overly protective Mom and Lilly would have been wonderful, but the two together would have made TROUBLE! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif
Have any of you noticed that men just can't seem to bring themselves to "fix" their male dogs? My ex husband and my brother both said, "I can't do that to my boy". Ha! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

KYS
11-02-2000, 06:12 PM
Yep! I have noticed it where I work.
The men just don't want to neuter those
male dogs of theirs.
Even my husband was bad. It was like
pulling teeth to get him to finally
agree to spay our Terriers.
I think he got tired of changing their diapers when they went into heat
and listening to me whine about it. lol

Doxiedoxie
11-03-2000, 09:25 AM
Just one more plea to get your sweet lil poodle spayed ASAP. You'll be doing her a favor, and doing all of dog-kind a favor. The information already posted here is correct.. please take it to heart.

as for men not wanting to "fix" their male dogs, have you seen those things called "Neuticals"? They are silicone implants to replace the testicals in the scrotum so no-one can tell the dog is neutered, thus sparing the dogs ( and presumably the male owner's) feelings. Ridiculous!!

lhg0962
11-03-2000, 10:41 AM
Doxiedoxie.....
You are right. That is ridculous!!! My ex and my brother can't imagine that happening to themselves, so they can't imagine putting their male dogs through it.
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

carrie
11-03-2000, 12:34 PM
You are joking about the false testicles, aren't you?

dogncatluvr
11-03-2000, 07:26 PM
No, Carrie, there is a product called Neuticals here, they are replacement testicles. Really, honestly!

KYS
11-03-2000, 08:25 PM
as for men not wanting to "fix" their male dogs, have you seen those things called "Neuticals"? They are silicone implants to replace the testicals in the scrotum so no-one can tell the dog is neutered, thus sparing the dogs >>>>>

Doxiedoxie,

You got to be kidding. I'm shure my male
doesn't miss his. hehehe
Just curious do these things feel and look real?
I can understand a need for humans
but not dogs.
Geesh! they think of everything.

Doxiedoxie
11-04-2000, 08:28 AM
Well I can't say I have felt them, or even seen them except in pictures. When I worked at the vet we would get brochures in the mail about these.. laughed every time, and threw out the brochure. I'll bet some city hospitals do them though...

Smilla
11-04-2000, 09:20 AM
Sadly, Neuticals do exist. Sigh... I hadn't heard anything about them in a couple of years, though--had wondered if everyone else thought they were as silly as I did.

carrie
11-04-2000, 02:24 PM
You can bet your life someone is laughing all the way to the bank. It is amazing what some people will buy and force on their dogs.

ownerof3dogs
11-04-2000, 06:34 PM
I know this is the funniest think I have ever heard. I say a program on these testical inplants on animal planet. The owners of the dog said that they got the dog the inplants because he would have gotten seperation anxiety if they weren't there any more

carrie
11-05-2000, 06:35 AM
I thought I'd heard just about every excuse for mistreating dogs but this really takes the gold medal for ignorance and good old fashioned stupidity! Was it a serious programme or were the T.V. people making a point about the owner being a *******?!!
Is it me or is the whole world slowly going bonkers?

karen israel
11-06-2000, 12:03 PM
Carrie, Animal Planet is a Cable Channel, specifically geared at animals.."Emergency Vets" "Big Cat Diary", safaris, movies, "Funniest Animals Videos". I've never seen it but I'm posivitve the program on those replacement testes was real. I agree. Bonkers! What next!?