PDA

View Full Version : Breed-specific dog food?

Kater
10-22-2003, 09:33 PM
I've never heard of this before...
http://home.att.net/~wdcusick/main.html
What do you guys think?

Kater
10-22-2003, 10:00 PM
Look up food sources that match breed-specific nutrional requirements here (according to William D. Cusick):
http://home.att.net/~wdcusick/free.html

Aspen and Misty
10-22-2003, 10:08 PM
They ALL say...

I personally believe that the best diet for a Toy Manchester Terrier is one that the owner makes fresh, using quality ingredients, without preservatives. It only takes about one to two hours a week to cook for a Toy Manchester Terrier so that both #1 & #2 are met and preparing home cooked meals for a dog can be less expensive than buying the average all-breed, any-breed commercial pet food. I hope that you will consider using this option to feed your companion pets correctly.

Just with Diff breed names...

I personally believe that the best diet for a Sussex Spaniel is one that the owner makes fresh, using quality ingredients, without preservatives. It only takes about one to two hours a week to cook for a Sussex Spaniel so that both #1 & #2 are met and preparing home cooked meals for a dog can be less expensive than buying the average all-breed, any-breed commercial pet food. I hope that you will consider using this option to feed your companion pets correctly.

I personally believe that the best diet for an American Foxhound is one that the owner makes fresh, using quality ingredients, without preservatives. It only takes about one to two hours a week to cook for an American Foxhound so that both #1 & #2 are met and preparing home cooked meals for a dog can be less expensive than buying the average all-breed, any-breed commercial pet food. I hope that you will consider using this option to feed your companion pets correctly.

Ash

wolfsoul
10-22-2003, 10:33 PM
I've read many times that some breeds are prone to different things, and therefore require different dog foods. For instance, German shepherds aren't supposed to do well on a rice, fish, or soy diet. They also need more fibre because their colon is shaped different than other breeds.

I don't think that it's nessecary to have different brands of dog food for different breeds though.

And Ash is right, they just substiute a different name each time. Atleast they seem to know what they are talking about lol. All breeds deserve food as good as that. ;)

wolfsoul
10-22-2003, 10:38 PM
Whoa crazy, I think this is the site I got my German shepherd diet info from. They just said the same thing I did lol.

Kater
10-22-2003, 10:45 PM
Ash, sweetie.... He probably does that because people may enter his site at a particular breed's breed-specific nutritional requirements page if they are using a search engine and don't "come in the front door." There is breed-specific information on the page as well as the general information (the repeated information) that he believes is relevant for feeding all breeds & mixes. Gotta scroll down a little farther, dear..... ;)

I don't think it makes his infromation suspect or less valid.

Aspen and Misty
10-22-2003, 10:53 PM
Ashley is stupid http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/ruinkai/smashfreakB.gif http://www.blamonet.com/vb/images/smilies/new1/banghead.gifCause I STILL don't understand! http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/other/11doh.gif

I'm just gonna live in my own world- weeee http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/edoom/Flush.gif http://burns.thefinaldimension.org/contrib/sally/roller.gif

Ashley

veegan
10-22-2003, 10:56 PM
LOL love the little animations hahahah

Aspen and Misty
10-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by veegan
LOL love the little animations hahahah

LOL thanx, I thought they were cute :D

Ash

anna_66
10-23-2003, 08:22 AM
Yes, it does say pretty much the same for all breeds, but if you look where the lettering is black it says where the dogs are from & what he suggests are good thing for them to eat.
Such as:
Sibes-fish & poultry
Rotties-lamb poultry, dairy & wheat
Chows-rice, wheat, soy & occasional fish (did you know that he says The Chow Chow originated in China (Tibet) where it was raised as a meat source for human consumption. This was done on a scale that can be compared to the sheep ranches of New Zealand or the cattle ranches in our own country today. ewww:eek: )
Sounds ok, but if you want him to make a special diet for you dog...he wants$100!!!!! Now that's crazy:eek:

Foam
10-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Uhm..I'm just going to go back to my regular food. It's cheaper, and both Darlin and Oz like it, and they're both in picture-perfect health!
Go Eukanuba! Go Eukanuba! Go, go! Go Eukanuba!

lovemyshiba
10-23-2003, 09:51 AM
Very interesting site Kate!

While I probably won't start cooking for all 4 of mine, I particularly liked the part where it said foods to avoid and foods that are best for each breed.
For example, rotties, shibas, and beagles should not eat horse meat:eek: :eek: , but it's ok for labs!!
Seriously, it said beets aren't good for shibas, but are for beagles.
Shibas shouldn't have citrus fruits or avocadoes either.
Beef wasn't recommended for mine either, except labs (they can eat anything!!!)

Very informative site, I'm going to bookmark it.

Thanks for the link Kate!!

wolfsoul
10-23-2003, 10:10 AM
I take back what I said about breed-specific dog foods. I think it's a neat idea. It brings up alot of good points and examples. Different breeds of the same weight and age still need different nutrients. Good site.

wolf_Q
10-23-2003, 06:35 PM
Royal Canin also has a few different breed specific dog foods. They don't have that many, but I know they have it for the Yorkshire Terrier, German Shepard, and Labrador Retriever.

lovemyshiba
10-23-2003, 09:51 PM
I didn't know there was a Royal Canin for Labbies--I've only seen the Yorkshire!! I'll have to ask next time I go for food!!

Kater
10-24-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Royal Canin also has a few different breed specific dog foods. They don't have that many, but I know they have it for the Yorkshire Terrier, German Shepard, and Labrador Retriever.
Cool! I did not know that!
I'm going to have to look for these sometime.
This stuff is so interesting to me! Glad others are finding it interesting too! :D

wolf_Q
10-24-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
I didn't know there was a Royal Canin for Labbies--I've only seen the Yorkshire!! I'll have to ask next time I go for food!!

I think the lab and the gsd are fairly new, so that's probably why you haven't seen them. :)

tikeyas_mom
10-24-2003, 02:24 AM
this is what it said for the siberian huskies diet...

I personally believe that the best diet for a Siberian Husky is one that the owner makes fresh, using quality ingredients, without preservatives. It only takes about one to two hours a week to cook for a Siberian Husky so that both #1 & #2 are met and preparing home cooked meals for a dog can be less expensive than buying the average all-breed, any-breed commercial pet food. I hope that you will consider using this option to feed your companion pets correctly.

In my books (published in 1990 and 1997) on breed specific canine nutrition, I listed food sources to use and food sources to avoid when feeding a Siberian Husky. The idea was to provide pet owners (both those who wanted to cook for their companion pets or those who wanted to buy an all-breed/any-breed preservative filled food for their pets) information about food sources to use or avoid. So that you can have that same information, below is the text from the page "Siberian Husky" that was in one of my books on canine nutrition.

GULP...

here is what it said for shih tzu:
I personally believe that the best diet for a Shih Tzu is one that the owner makes fresh, using quality ingredients, without preservatives. It only takes about one to two hours a week to cook for a Shih Tzu so that both #1 & #2 are met and preparing home cooked meals for a dog can be less expensive than buying the average all-breed, any-breed commercial pet food. I hope that you will consider using this option to feed your companion pets correctly.

In my books (published in 1990 and 1997) on breed specific canine nutrition, I listed food sources to use and food sources to avoid when feeding a Shih Tzu. The idea was to provide pet owners (both those who wanted to cook for their companion pets or those who wanted to buy an all-breed/any-breed preservative filled food for their pets) information about food sources to use or avoid. So that you can have that same information, below is the text from the page "Shih Tzu" that was in one of my books on canine nutrition.

they seem remarkably similar ;)

Kater
10-24-2003, 02:33 AM
We've already discussed that in this thread. Please read Ashley's post and then my response. Also you might try reading the entire page and not just the first two paragraphs.