PDA

View Full Version : YEARLY VET EXAM

jackiesdaisy1935
09-30-2001, 02:06 PM
Does anyone take their Pets in for a yearly exam? Or do you take them in when you think they need it?. I noticed at our Vets they have a type of yearly examination and I don't know if I want to do that or just when we think they need to go.
Jackie

TheAntiPam
09-30-2001, 02:20 PM
Because of cost issues, for the first several years I didn't bother with the yearly exams for my cats. They just had annual shots and boosters. But as my cats have aged and had health problems, I'm having them checked by my favorite vet every year at shot time.

For both dogs and cats, dental condition is an important issue. Pets of any age can be affected by infection or deterioration. Getting an expert to do that exam is best.

So just like people, prevention is a good idea starting at least in middle age. If only middle age didn't come quite so fast - for anybody! :eek:

tatsxxx11
09-30-2001, 02:35 PM
All of my guys have always had yearly exams, and usually at least a few visits a year for minor things like ear infections, a pulled muscles, a cut etc. :( After age 9 or 10, I have the draw a general blood chemistry to check for sugar, liver enzymes and especially with the kittys, kidney function, i.e. bun. Just curious though Jackie...I'm sure a rabies vac. is required in Calif. Some people don't vaccinate for distemper or bortadella. But doesn't your vet automatically do an exam when they get their shots? Or do you just get the 3 year rabies vac.? I remember a while back you were asking about heartworm prevention. Are they on Heartguard on Interceptor? Depending upon which, you have to have a yearly heartworm test done before resuming it in the spring. Hugs and kisses to Miss Daisy and Perry!!

kobieeli
09-30-2001, 04:19 PM
Kobie and Eli go in for a yearly exam, mainly to get their DHLPPC booster. (I'm thinking of doing the 3-year rabies this next time for them both, so that won't be needed each time.) The doc also checks their teeth/ears/eyes, does a stool analysis, and listens for heart or lung problems. Even though they're both young, I figure what the heck--an ounce of prevention...

The only med they are on is Interceptor because we do travel with them to heartworm areas. Here in California the winters are so mild that the mosquitos don't die off, so most dogs take the tablets year round.

Sudilar
09-30-2001, 04:34 PM
Previous to Killian (who practically visits the vet once every other month!!), we would only go once a year for our yearly check-up and shots.

lizbud
09-30-2001, 08:11 PM
Buddy does get a once a year checkup,and a
Rabies vac;boosters for Distemper,carona
virus,etc.He does get a blood,stool,urine
check also.The kitties have all had a set
of initial shots,but only go as needed after
that.(They do get Advantage every summer
even though they are indoor only cats).
Somtimes the Vet is able to point out
somthing that I had'nt even noticed.Bud has
had a hip problem since he was a pup,so the
annual visits make me feel the Vet can stay
on top of any problems as they might come up.

Daisy's Mom
09-30-2001, 08:14 PM
Daisy goes in for a yearly checkup. As I see it, it's better safe than sorry!

jackiesdaisy1935
09-30-2001, 08:43 PM
Hi Sandra, Yes Daisy and Perry go in for their Rabies shot I think it's every two years, they also are on Advantage and Interceptor. They also get their DHLPPC shots, but when they get their shots, they never see the Vet, the nurse gives it to them so they are not checked over. We also brush their teeth and have dental wipes. They are very healthy right now, but I don't know if I'm asking for trouble cost wise by getting a routine exam, my Vet is o.k. but nothing special. Maybe we would be better if we ask for the Vet to look them over at the time they get their shots then it would would be a routine office call.
Jackie

aly
09-30-2001, 08:51 PM
All of my animals have always gotten yearly exams in addition to extra visits for minor health issues. I think a yearly exam is important, but may not be completely necessary if your vet will check them over during one of their other visits.

RachelJ
10-01-2001, 06:11 AM
Standard procedure with the vets I have been to is for them to give an exam at the time they come in for their shots. They also suggest we bring in a stool sample at that time; however, there is no blood workup or urine sample. I don't think I would be happy at a veterinary clinic where I didn't get to see the vet at the time of their shots.

KayAnn
10-01-2001, 07:16 AM
We take Sim around August every year... i always dred the day cause he hates it at the vet... i think it reminds him of the SPCA. But he loves it in the waiting room.. all sorts of smells, other doggies.. and even CATS :eek: I trust our vet alot. Back in fifth grade we had to disect cows eyes :eek: He came into my class to help, and his son set right next to me, so Dr Mathews helped me.... It was very gross!
Simba has also been in many times other than his annual :( :( mostly for his ear.

Albea
10-01-2001, 11:59 AM
I take Carina to the vet's office once a year for her booster shots and he does a complete exam: stool, blood, ears,teeth and heartworm occult, although she takes Heartguard all year round. I also take her at other times if there's anything that seems wrong or unusual in her behavior.

Pam
10-01-2001, 04:59 PM
Same situation here Albea, and thank goodness they send out postcards or I would forget. :rolleyes:

jackiesdaisy1935
10-01-2001, 05:45 PM
Thank you all for your replys, it gives me information on what I should do. As I say they send us a card and we take them in for their shots and the girl gives them their shots they never see the Vet. Don and I discussed it and on their next shot visit we are going to make an appointment to see the Vet to get the shots and a checkup at the same time.
Thanks again for all you input.
Jackie

Logan
10-01-2001, 06:00 PM
We always get the exam, annually, Jackie. We have annual rabies shots in SC, plus they get the others, including the Bordetella, at the same time. We are always so happy to see our vet, Dr. Robinson, that I don't know what I would do if he didn't give us a quick examination!! (Not me, of course :eek: ) He does get a quick hug though! :p

Daisy's Mom
10-01-2001, 09:37 PM
Kay Ann I had to dissect a cow's eye in seventh grade too! But I didn't actually get to do it... I had a big eyeball plopped down in front of me, my lab partner started slicing, and I was out cold! I came to in the nurse's office, throwing up! LOL dissecting is just not for me! ;)

sammi
10-02-2001, 05:28 AM
When we bring Buddy Boy in for his shots he always gets a mini check up from the vet. This is the time we go over any questions or problems. He is seen about 3 times a year
for shots,nail clipping and minor conditions.
(also gets lab & ua work checked and weight and heart sounds).