PDA

View Full Version : Stomach retention of chewed debris???

Jasper's Mom
06-22-2001, 02:09 AM
Do dogs sometimes hold things they cannot digest in their stomach for days, like a cat holds onto hair where it forms a hairball? Has anyone heard of this or experienced it with their own dog?

Today, after a delay in getting to eat, Moses came to me when I entered my kitchen and started vomiting. My son Mike said to examine it because it looked strange...and if you don't like ucky, don't read anymore. It contained colorful pieces of plastic, maybe small pieces of paper, pieces of unidentifiable things, long hair bound around and through the mess holding it together in two or three masses, which I had a hard time examining. He wretched once more but there was nothing else. I have been watching him today, no further signs of stomach upset, he has eaten (though I gave him half the usual), drank lots of water, so I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a blockage.

My dog likes chocolate, and likes to chew on things although usually only his toys, but lately my granddaughter's small toys. Even outside his nose if always to the ground. My other dog Sandy brings me things all the time that he's picked up in the house, since we have a full house with my oldest son and granddaughter now living with us.

AGAIN, I have to talk to him about the safety of my pets.

Dog toys have been checked and many thrown out, but no plastic in them. Granddaughter's toys out in the back porch. Moses could not have gotten into anything today, nor yesterday, for sure. This stuff has got to be from before.

I worry it will happen again. Ever heard of the stomach retaining debris not digestible?

crow_noir
06-22-2001, 03:36 AM
i've heard of it w/food, so i'm sure it works w/ other things. i've heard of nylabone getting stuck in the bowles and killing dogs. but never any hard stories of stuff like this.
well, once there was a great dane or something, i forget what it was, but i seen it on the news. it started getting sick and stuff, so the people took it to the vet, after some testing the people decided to do some x-rays. they found tons of stuff was lodgen in its stomace, so they did an emergancy on the dog. they got alot of items out of the stomage. like forty some different things. ranging from needles to pennies, to whole stuffed animals. it was nutz! (not the dog...all the stuff it ate.) and it had stuff in there that had been missing for over a year. that case totally amazed the vet. thay said the dog should have died long ago from all that stuff!

sorry i can't be of more help. Good luck!!!

aly
06-22-2001, 10:04 AM
Ricky Martin's golden retriever swallowed a pair of socks whole! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif Luckily he caught it in time.

Yes, their stomachs can hold stuff but that gets very dangerous. If there are any more instances of throwing things up, I'd take Moses for an xray to be sure everything is out. Keep checking his gums and make sure they are not white. Reece keeps putting me through scares where I think he has a blockage but so far he hasn't had one yet. Yesterday, Mocha pulled the plastic squeaker out of her toy and almost swalloed it. I grabbed it just in time. It is really scary when stuff like that happens.

[This message has been edited by aly (edited June 22, 2001).]

06-22-2001, 10:52 AM
I'd eat his socks too if I could meet him!

[This message has been edited by Tanya&Fritz (edited June 22, 2001).]

shais_mom
06-22-2001, 02:04 PM
Tanya, I laughed out loud when I read that!!!
Me TOO!!
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Logan
06-22-2001, 03:07 PM
Me too, Tanya!!! And he's WAY too young for me!!! LOL!!!

Jasper's Mom, do you happen to post as Furever Gold on the MSN Golden Retriever board? I am figuring there can only be so many dogs named Moses out there!!! If it isn't you, then someone has the exact same problem you do and a dog with the same name! LOL!!!

As for the stuff in their stomachs, you are lucky he threw it up. My good friend (the breeder of Lilly) had to have Lilly's grandmother, Sandy, operated on not once, but twice. The first time she ate the plastic cover off of the grill and the acid in her stomach just hardened that plastic and there it sat, and the second time, she swallowed a dish rag. All of this was within a time frame of 3-4 months! And she was over 5 years old!

It is so hard to keep them from chewing stuff, and I still go through it with mine and they are over two years old. I can joke all I want to about them pooping yarn, stuffing from toys, plastic, etc., but it is very dangerous. That's why I don't let them have too many toys outdoors. I want to know what they are doing with all that stuffing and squeakers, which they go for immediately!

Hope Moses is ok. But you can not be to careful.

Logan

[This message has been edited by Logan (edited June 22, 2001).]

Jasper's Mom
06-28-2001, 08:06 AM
Logan:

And could you be HoneysMom? Small world? But no, you led me to the site...two goldens we each have.

Logan
06-28-2001, 10:07 PM
It is a small world!! I am Honey's Mom on MSN!

How's Moses doing?

Logan

Jasper's Mom
06-30-2001, 09:19 AM
Moses is doing just fine. After his bout with the "garbage dumping" on my kitchen floor, he was real hungry and has been fine since. Only thing is, I'm much busier now keeping a constant eye on him. Even with the trash above his reach, the house kept picked up and my granddaughter's toys where he cannot reach them, he always has something in his mouth. Just have to be vigilant, all the time. My other dog Sandy picks up things too, hair pins, pens, car keys (all the time) but brings them to me. One garbage gut in the house is enough.

I found out from my niece, in vet school in Colorado, foreign items often stay in the stomach as it did in his case. Vomiting saves them from having a serious and life threatening blockage. I don't want that.

Daisy's Mom
06-30-2001, 10:02 PM
Garbage dumping! Oh, I feel your pain!
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/024/sy/YF/7H/xv13098.jpg