PDA

View Full Version : Important Safety Information

krazyaboutkatz
10-22-2003, 12:56 AM
Hi everyone, I received this e-mail from my brother today and thought that some of you might want this info. Google has implemented a new feature wherein you can type someone's telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and then you will be given a map to their house.

Think about it... if a child, single person, ANYONE gives out his/her phone number, someone can actually look it up to find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious and alarming.

This is not a hoax, Mapquest will actually put a star on your house on your street. In order to test whether you phone number is mapped, go to:.http://www.google.com/ (http://)
and type in your phone number in the search bar with dashes (i.e. 123-555-1212) and hit enter.

NOTE: If your phone number isn't publicly listed,you should be fine. If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on the telephone icon to the left of the phone number. You will see a link at the bottom where you are allowed to REMOVE yourself. Consider forwarding this to friends and family.

For some reason the link won't work but it will if you type it in by hand and hit enter.

Fuzzy317
10-22-2003, 01:11 AM
Thats very interesting. I keyed in the number, and it showed the mailing address, and links to maps on where it was.

BTW: your google link doesn't work

this one should
http://www.google.com

popcornbird
10-22-2003, 02:10 AM
I did mine.........it didn't work. Guess it isn't listed...........thank God. That's why I would *never* give information off the web. If its absolutely 100% neccessary, I think cell phones are safer? Right?

But I tried a friend's and it gave her info. :eek: I think I'll be sending this to some of my friends.

anna_66
10-22-2003, 06:24 AM
I guess I'm not really worried because my name & number are in the phone book already, but thanks for letting everyone know.

Aspen and Misty
10-22-2003, 06:30 AM
When I type mine in it comes up with the wrong name and adress :D

Ashley

AmberLee
10-22-2003, 12:35 PM
Mine comes back unlisted fortunately, but you have answered a question as to why my parents get so many wrong numbers. Their telephone used to be assigned to a swimming course for their county! (4+ years ago, but a website STILL lists it! :rolleyes: )

Albea
10-22-2003, 12:50 PM
Thanks for this post. I typed my phone number and, sure enough, it had my address. It listed me as the press contact for the Ballard Institute and Museum of Puppetry, which is true, but I wonder who in the world listed that information.:mad:

micki76
10-22-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by anna_66
I guess I'm not really worried because my name & number are in the phone book already, but thanks for letting everyone know.

LOL mine too Anna. :)

lovemyshiba
10-22-2003, 01:35 PM
My number didn't come up, but my dad's did.
He's listed of course, but the map to his house is a little freaky.

Thanks for the heads up!!!