PDA

View Full Version : Very upsetting news... :(

wolf_Q
10-21-2003, 06:27 PM
I just found out something very upsetting to me. :( My cousin had 2 cats. Despite the fact they were all 4 paws declawed, it seemed to me that she really loved and cared for them. Both of the cats are female, spayed, inside only cats. They got them as kittens when they lived in Alaska. They moved down here and were living with my aunt. I believe they had them at least 3 years.

Well, my cousin just had a baby last weekend. And the cats just ended up at the humane society TODAY. :( They were worried about the cats causing problems with the baby, and they had peed on the bed a few times. I don't have cats, but it would seem to me, and from what I've heard...that the peeing is most likely caused by the upset of new things happening, and I'm sure they have behavior problems associated with declawing.

I can't believe they did that. They didn't even give them a chance! How can you have an animal for that long and just give them up? I've just lost so much respect for them...pets are not disposable!! :mad: :(

I wish I could take them. *sigh* I haven't met them, but I've heard they are very sweet. They are siamese/tabby mixes, blue eyes. I've seen pics and both are just gorgeous. I wish I could just temporarily take them to find a new home, but my dad would NEVER allow a cat in my house. :( :(

Craftlady
10-21-2003, 06:39 PM
That is sad. I am sure with little patience the kittys would of done quite well with the new baby. Declawing I'm sure they are ok behavior wise. Let's pray that a good familes can be found for these furry gals. I totally agree pets aren't disposable.

luckies4me
10-21-2003, 07:17 PM
I hate to see ads in the paper saying how their pets MUST GO because they are not expecting. It drives me CRAZY! WTF, my cats all stayed here, I would never dream of getting rid of them. Dylan loves the cats and the cats love him. Houdini actually took over a parenting roll sort of, giving us the dirtiest looks if Dylan was crying and we didn't pick him up. She's actually come paw and meow at us and get angry that we left him to cry. They sleep with him at night in his crib and they are inseperable. Dylan is growing up with pets and because of this he will learn from us that they are not disposable, they are members of our family.

moosmom
10-21-2003, 07:19 PM
Wolf_Q,

That's awful! :( It's really too bad that your idiotic cousin didn't give the cats a chance. The least she could've done was tried for find someone to take them. :mad:

Cats are very easily introduced to a new addition (baby) to the family.

I hope they find good homes with people that REALLY care about them.

I wonder what your cousin will do when her baby starts peeing in places other than the diaper.

Cinder & Smoke
10-21-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
... I wish I could just temporarily take them
to find a new home,
but my dad would NEVER allow a cat in my house. :( :(

Hey Amy ~

Did you *ask* Dad?
Explain the reason - and that it's just temporary.

And if that won't fly - how about some of your Friends?

Do a Free Kat fur a Week contest -
and every friend you've got is a *WINNER*!

Are they in a NO-kill Shelter?
If not - how much TIME have they got??

/s/ Phred

wolf_Q
10-21-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
Hey Amy ~

Did you *ask* Dad?
Explain the reason - and that it's just temporary.

And if that won't fly - how about some of your Friends?

Do a Free Kat fur a Week contest -
and every friend you've got is a *WINNER*!

Are they in a NO-kill Shelter?
If not - how much TIME have they got??

/s/ Phred

Unfortunately my dad HATES cats, and he's highly allergic to them. I already asked him earlier and it didn't end well. :( I really only have one friend and her parents do not allow any pets in the house, nor do they like cats.

I'll ask some of the people I work with but they all have dogs and it's doubtful they'd take them. It's a kill-shelter. I'm not sure how long they keep the pets, I'll have to call...

Kater
10-21-2003, 10:11 PM
This might be kind of a long shot...but if you could get them to BEST FRIENDS I *know* they would get adopted out!

wolf_Q
10-21-2003, 10:21 PM
Yes, I'd love to get them to Best Friends but it's a 6-7 hour drive, which my car would not make...maybe I'll call Wasatch Humane and see what they can do. I'll call the shelter and confirm they are there first.

krazyaboutkatz
10-21-2003, 10:22 PM
Amy, I'm so sorry to hear about this. :( I'll also never understand why so many people still think that babies and cats are a bad combination. Pets are living creatures and aren't materialistic things that can be thrown away. :mad: I sure hope that some one will be able to adopt these two sweet cats. Good luck in your search for a foster home and please keep us updated.

Kater
10-21-2003, 10:29 PM
Yes, I'd love to get them to Best Friends but it's a 6-7 hour drive, which my car would not make...maybe I'll call Wasatch Humane and see what they can do. I'll call the shelter and confirm they are there first.

You might want to try to set up a transport through a local Siamese Breed Rescue.....

wolf_Q
10-21-2003, 11:21 PM
I just emailed 3 rescue groups, I hope they respond soon.

Kater
10-21-2003, 11:42 PM
Yay! It's looking promising! *FINGERS CROSSED* :D :D :D

jazzcat
10-22-2003, 11:05 AM
This is so sad. I will never understand some people.

I think it is great you are trying to help those poor little guys. Best of luck!

wolf_Q
10-22-2003, 05:21 PM
Here's an email I received back...

I'm sure we can take Erza and Strider, the declawed siamese from Utah
Co
shelter, since they are spayed. I'm copying Melissa our Utah Co. rep.
To
follow up with the shelter, inquire about their status, and place our
names
on them to rescue if not adopted. Thanks.

:D I also talked to Melissa on the phone earlier today, so I think things are looking good for the two kitties!

Uabassoon
10-22-2003, 05:45 PM
That's great news Amy!

PayItForward
10-22-2003, 05:54 PM
Oh I was really worried when I started to read this thread but it sounds like you have rescued them from the No Kill centre.

Hoping Best Friends place them in a furrever home very soon.

stacwase
10-22-2003, 06:01 PM
I think that's very upsetting, too.

I cried all day long today because Kate was urinating all over everything and I was just convinced that we wouldn't be able to keep her. But of course everything worked out.

Maybe your cousin was really emotional after the baby was born. Hormones just FLY during that time. I remember crying constantly and being completely unreasonable - people couldn't stand to be around me. I just couldn't help it! It was like PMS X 100.

It doesn't help that all the books and advice you get on how to raise babies make you feel guilty for having cats in the house. The people who write the "How to raise babies" rules aren't particularly pet friendly.

I hope you find a good home for the cats. I'm sure you will! Hopefully they'll spend the rest of their lives in a wonderful place. I hope you'll forgive your cousin, too. Having a new baby turns people into entirely different people.

catcrazylady
10-22-2003, 06:10 PM
This whole situation is so disgusting!! People just make me SOOO MAD!!! I really don't understand how anyone can just throw out something they supposedly used to love...unless it's an about to be ex-husband!!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif

I'm so glad you stepped in and went to all this trouble. They weren't even your responsability and yet you may have just saved their lives! God bless you and thank you.

p.s. My husband and I are fine. Just thinking back into the past!:) http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif

Craftlady
10-22-2003, 06:19 PM
I'm so happy to read that a rescue shelter group is going to take the two kittys. ;) Thank you for taking the time and effort to look out of these two wellfare.

krazyaboutkatz
10-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Amy, I'm so glad to hear that Best Friends will be able to take both cats and hopefully find them great loving forever homes. :D You sure are a wonderful person to take the time and effort to help these sweet cats. :)

IttyBittyKitty
10-23-2003, 04:54 AM
I'm sorry to say this, Amy, but people like that make me SICK!!! If they loved the cats, and absolutely had to let them go, why didn't they do their very best to find them new loving homes or a good rescue shelter like Best Friends? They had NINE MONTHS of pregnancy in which to do it. It is a terrible example to show your children and callous in the extreme to throw away a living animal that trusts you totally.

Could these people bear to give their cats the lethal shot themselves? Could they even watch? I think that people who abandon their pets have no real idea how bleak the future may be for the cats.

And it really gives me the jeebies that the baby boomers spread utter drivel about cats smothering babies etc. Helo? You can lock a cat out of the room! If you leave your baby unattended long enough for a cat to smother it then you are not a fit parent anyway!!

At any rate, it looks like good news for the babies to be adopted by a rescue org. Updates? Did you go through siameserescue.org? They are good too apparently ... also would rosethecopycat be interested in these two? Try pm'ing her if you have no luck .....

ramanth
10-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Amy, I do hope Best Friends can take them. :) *HUGS* to you for trying! You're an angel. :)

stacwase
10-23-2003, 12:42 PM
IttyBittyKitty, that's what I was talking about - the cat smothering thing. But I didn't want to say it out loud, in case anybody by any chance hadn't heard it - I didn't want to spread a cat-unfriendly rumor.

Mothers of new babies are absolutely terrified by that story!!!

In fact a few months ago I was pregnant (miscarried unfortunately). You know how the hormones fly during pregnancy and you start getting all wierd and paranoid? I had decided that I was going to put a screen door on the baby's room so that at night I could hear the baby if it cried, yet the cats couldn't go in there and innocently fall asleep on its face.

The entire time I was pregnant the first time, and for like 4 years after I had my son, I was FREAKY! I was so paranoid something was going to happen. I got up several times a night to make sure he was breathing. I just knew for sure that something bad was going to happen to him.

So anyway Wolf-Q - in about 4 years maybe your cousin will realize that she was being utterly ridiculous as a result of her hormones and intense motherly instinct. She'll want the cats back. But until then she'll be convinced that she was right.

Logan
10-23-2003, 12:48 PM
Amy,

Is it for sure that Best Friends is taking these cats? I got a bit confused about who it was that responded to you.

My sister did do the screen door thing when her first child was born, not because of the smothering rumor, but because she didn't want the cats jumping in the crib with the baby. It worked beautifully......kept the cats out, but the room "open" in a way. :)

Update us when you can, Amy. Obviously, these kitties have claimed our hearts already.

Logan

wolf_Q
10-23-2003, 06:22 PM
Oh, sorry I didn't think to put who the email was from...D'oh! :o

It's actually a organization called Wasatch Humane that is (hopefully) taking them. I work at Petco and they do the adoptions at Petco on Saturdays...Melissa (the woman I talked to) comes in quite frequently, we bath a lot of her rescue dogs. She also does Australian Shepard Rescue.

At first she told me they weren't taking in any more cats, but when I said the were spayed she said she'd see what she could do. The email I posted was from another person from Wasatch Humane, I emailed them before I called and talked to Melissa.

I haven't received any updated info since that email, but I'll let you know if I get a reply. :)

If they loved the cats, and absolutely had to let them go, why didn't they do their very best to find them new loving homes or a good rescue shelter like Best Friends? They had NINE MONTHS of pregnancy in which to do it.

Those were my thoughts exactly.....I can understand if they really didn't think it would work and wanted to find a new home for them. But just dropping them off at the shelter is unacceptable. :mad: I had no idea she was even thinking of getting rid of them, I just found out that day!

I had a nice argument with my dad about the whole "cats and children" thing...he hates cats, so of course he agrees with her choice. I said I plan to have cats when I move out/get married/etc. so if that's how it goes, I better not have children, because I'm certainly not going to get rid of my pets! :rolleyes:

Sure, you can have problems with cats and children..just like you can have problems with dogs and children, or any pet and children. But if you take precautions, and WATCH your kids and pets, things will be fine. Some people just can't handle that apparently.

wolf_Q
10-28-2003, 11:21 PM
Email I received from Wasatch Humane today:

Apparently another rescue called Lost Paws, Ruthanne, took the cats.

I did email Lost Paws that night, but they didn't reply. So I guess they ended up with them instead...oh well, at least they are safe and out of the shelter now! :)

wolf_Q
10-28-2003, 11:37 PM
:D !!! Just received this email !!! :D

Hello, yes we took them from the shelter right up to petsmart and to banfields for thier rabies. While they were being examined a lady saw them and adopted both. They were only in the shelter for less than 24 hours and into a loving home. They are doing great!!!!

I emailed them the night my aunt brought them in, so I guess they must have went and got them the next day..or maybe after I called the shelter? I don't know but I'm glad they are in the loving home they DESERVE now! :)

krazyaboutkatz
10-28-2003, 11:43 PM
Amy, this is excellent news!!!:D I'm so glad that they were adopted out together and that they found the loving caring forever home that they both deserved. :) You've just saved 2 cats lives so please pat yourself on the back for a job well done. :D

jazzcat
10-28-2003, 11:49 PM
Wow, what a great outcome. You deserve a huge pat on the back for work well done. I'm so glad the cats have a new home, and so quickly. Bravo to you and Lost Paws!

ramanth
10-29-2003, 09:22 AM
So happy to hear they have new loving homes, Amy! Great job! :D

Craftlady
10-29-2003, 09:26 AM
Wonderful News :D

catmandu
10-29-2003, 09:27 AM
It is very sad that in 2003 , the old wives tale of Cats harming Babies is still beleived. and that Cat Haters can usethis to get people to get rid of prfectly Nice Cats! I am praying that they can be adopted or gotten to a No Kill Shelter. What a shame that some people are so STUPID!

Logan
10-29-2003, 10:09 AM
:D !!! Just received this email !!! :D

Hello, yes we took them from the shelter right up to petsmart and to banfields for thier rabies. While they were being examined a lady saw them and adopted both. They were only in the shelter for less than 24 hours and into a loving home. They are doing great!!!!

I emailed them the night my aunt brought them in, so I guess they must have went and got them the next day..or maybe after I called the shelter? I don't know but I'm glad they are in the loving home they DESERVE now! :)

What wonderful news, Amy!!!! :) Thank you for caring enough to see that they got the attention they needed!!!!! :D

Cataholic
10-29-2003, 10:56 AM
Amy,
Thank you for caring enough about these guys to follow up with them. How unfortunate that your 'friend' wasn't mature enough.

The best news? They are in a loving home. Great job!

stacwase
10-29-2003, 11:22 AM
It's just wonderful that you were able to find a home for them so quickly! You should be very proud of yourself, because you did an awesome thing.

Kater
10-29-2003, 09:05 PM
Yipeeeeeeeeeeeee! I love happy endings! :D :D

I'm so glad you took the effort to follow up on these two! Great job, Amy!