PDA

View Full Version : damaged lung

cherokeepride
10-25-2000, 12:03 PM
I have a four year old german shorthair that has sustained lung damage from inhaling a seed or a foxtail which lodged in her lung. The vet has said the best option would be to remove the damaged part of the lung. Has anyone experienced this type of condition and treatment and if so, what are the prospects for recovery and the quality of life after the procedure?

carrie
10-25-2000, 02:10 PM
Quite a large portion of lung can be cut away with no obvious change in the health of the dog after recovery from surgery. Most vets will not suggest this unless quality of life is the same as before. Phone or visit your vet again to put your mind at rest.

tatsxxx11
10-30-2000, 06:08 PM
How is your baby doing? Did she have surgery? How sad such a small seemingly insignificant thing could cause such heartache. My thoughts are with you.

Sandra

sammi
11-07-2000, 11:46 AM
Wondering how your dog is doing. Did you find out anymore about lung surgery? Hope everything is good ok. Keep us posted as we care.

tatsxxx11
11-07-2000, 02:31 PM
How is your baby doing? We are all hoping for the best. Please let us know. With love

cherokeepride
11-07-2000, 02:43 PM
As of last night, they were very optimistic that the meds had helped contain the infection so that they would not have to remove a very large part of her lung. She went into surgery this a.m. but so far, we haven't heard from the vet.

carrie
11-07-2000, 03:03 PM
It's great news that the drugs have helped. Let us know how it went and what the vet says. Thinking of you.

tatsxxx11
11-07-2000, 04:08 PM
Everyone here keeping their paws crossed for you are you doggie. Love

Sudilar
11-07-2000, 04:25 PM
Any news yet?? Our fingers are crossed.

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

RachelJ
11-07-2000, 08:45 PM
Just wanted to add my wishes for a successful procedure and speedy recovery.

cherokeepride
11-09-2000, 07:50 AM
Well, everything went really well during the surgery. They did have to remove about half of the lung but as of last night she was up and about and "doggie-talkin" to them and gets to go home today. I guess time will tell if we did the right thing. Thanks for all your good thoughts.

teena
11-09-2000, 08:01 AM
That is great news!!!!! Our continued thoughts and prayers are with ya!

KYS
11-09-2000, 08:13 AM
Wonderful news that the surgery went well.
Much thoughts and well wishes for a
quick/sucessful recovery for your
sweet girl.

RachelJ
11-09-2000, 08:42 AM
Of course you did the right thing. You gave her the best veterinary science has to offer. Please continue to let us know how she progresses. And what is her name???

cherokeepride
11-09-2000, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by RachelJ:
Of course you did the right thing. You gave her the best veterinary science has to offer. Please continue to let us know how she progresses. And what is her name???

Her name is Angie--a somewhat begrudging "step-sister" to my Weimeraner Cherokee.

karen israel
11-09-2000, 09:32 AM
Of course Angie will be OK! They do amazing things today! With all the love, support and prayers out here, she'll be back to normal in no time!!! You Go Angie!

Sudilar
11-09-2000, 11:25 AM
I'm glad Angie went through the surgery well. Of course you did the right thing. You did what was best for her. She will be in our thoughts for a quick recovery. Good luck.

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

tatsxxx11
11-09-2000, 03:01 PM
Yeah for Angie! Get a lot of rest and listen to your Mom Angie. Of COURSE you did the right thing...I have had many human patients who did excellently and enjoyed (still enjoying) very active happpy lives having lost an entire lung! We are all with you and send you positive thoughts and healing love as Angie recovers. Give her a big hug and take a deep, long breath. The worst is over. Let us know how you both are doing!

sammi
11-09-2000, 07:06 PM
Happy to hear that surgery went well. Hope Angie continues to heal everyday. You have done the best for her. Thank you for keeping us posted.

tatsxxx11
11-13-2000, 03:38 PM
Just wondering how Angie was doing? I always think of the ones who are ill or recovering. Hope to hear some good news. Please let us know. Thinking of you both.

cherokeepride
11-13-2000, 03:48 PM
Angie is really perking up! She has about a 12 inch length of "railroad tracks" up her side, but she is eating well doesn't seem to be in any discomfort and she is trying to play some with the "evil-step sister".

RachelJ
11-13-2000, 07:51 PM
Oh, that is good news. You have to be so pleased and relieved. We kind of felt this girl would pull through, but knowing it is the best. Thanks so much for keeping us informed. Kisses to the patient please.

tatsxxx11
11-14-2000, 06:44 AM
Yes, wonderful news! Big hugs and kisses to Angie! What a brave girl! Have a great Thanksgiving you guys!

karen israel
11-14-2000, 10:38 AM
I totally agree with everyone! Lots of hugs and kisses for Angie and you-cause I know what you went through!! This will be a Thanksgiving with a lot of meaning!!!

tatsxxx11
11-28-2000, 02:53 PM
Just wondering how Angie is doing. Hope she is improving steadily and that you both had a restful Thanksgiving. Let us know if you get a chance how you guys are. Hugs to Angie.

cherokeepride
12-01-2000, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11:
Just wondering how Angie is doing. Hope she is improving steadily and that you both had a restful Thanksgiving. Let us know if you get a chance how you guys are. Hugs to Angie.
She is doing great. Took a little hunting expedition and she did fantastic. She still tires out easily but that should get better with time. Thanks for all the good thoughts.

karen israel
12-01-2000, 09:24 AM
OH YAY!!!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

tatsxxx11
12-01-2000, 03:39 PM
Sooooo happy to hear the good news. Give Angie all our best wishes, and a BIG kiss and hug! If we don't "talk" before, have a GREAT Christmas and Happy, HEALTHY, New Year!!

Sudilar
12-01-2000, 09:04 PM
Very, very good news. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif