PDA

View Full Version : Ain't THIS a kick in the a**

moosmom
10-20-2003, 06:03 PM
I get home from work today to find an envelope in the mail from the State of Connecticut Labor Department. I open it and find that the newspaper I worked for in CT are PROTESTING the unemployment benefits I collected from March through July!!! WTF!!!!

Uh, excuse me, but that was SIX months ago??? They're claiming that because I voluntarily RESIGNED my job at the Hartford Courant before moving to Michigan, they're entitled to get $9,000 they paid in unemployment back. :eek: Talk about the S*** hitting the fan.

First of all, according to the copies CT Labor Department sent me, the deadline for protesting payment of these benefits was March 18, 2003. Where the h*** were they then??? According to the Michigan Labor Department, I hadn't worked long enough in Michigan (4 months) to collect unemployment from them so I had to revert back to the last employer, hence the Hartford Courant in CT. The CT Unemployment took at the information over the phone.

So, they've set up a hearing date of October 29th, of which I have to participate via phone. *sigh* I'm calling the CT Labor Dept tomorrow to find out what the dileo is. I've already got the name of a labor lawyer.

I'll keep you posted. WILL THIS EVER END???????????????

Soledad
10-20-2003, 06:22 PM
Oh, no, Donna!! This just isn't fair. It sickens me how big corporate types get away with fraud, yet people just trying to get by and get a living wage are treated like criminals.

I hope you get a great lawyer!!

mugsy
10-20-2003, 06:22 PM
Gee Donna, you sound like you're living Mike's and my life! I wish you the best. Let us know.

jenluckenbach
10-20-2003, 06:24 PM
Oh Donna, I have no words......except I am so sorry this all has to happen. Hang in there!!!!

anna_66
10-20-2003, 07:10 PM
Geez Donna,
You just can't catch a break can you?

lizbud
10-20-2003, 07:20 PM
Moosmom,

Hire a good attorney who specializes in Labor Law. You should
not have to deal with this other than giving testimony to the
facts. Let the attorney handle it. You don't need this hassle.

Steffi N
10-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Donna, I am sorry you have to go through this hassle. Hope with your lawyer's help everything is resolved soon and in your favor.

shais_mom
10-20-2003, 09:05 PM
That sucks Donna!!!
Keeping you in my thoughts!

captain
10-21-2003, 12:41 AM
Donna,

How pathetic !!!!!!

Don't you just LOVE large companies with nothing better to do ....:mad:

Fingers crossed for you ...

Logan
10-21-2003, 07:43 AM
I have very little insight on unemployment law, but I'm surprised that you were able to collect when you tendered your resignation to them in order to move. I guess I'm playing devil's advocate here, just trying to figure out how they were responsible in the first place. But it does seem like a denial on the front end would have been much better than paying it all out, then asking for it back!

Unemployment is a huge hit to any business, small or large, as their quarterly unemployment tax is determined by the amount of claims paid out. I'm only familiar with how it works in SC, but I did work for a small business as HR director several years ago, and anytime a worker was fired or quit, then applied for unemployment, we received a questionaire to complete regarding their work history, documenting of performance reviews, etc. Then it was up to the Unemployment Security Commission to make a decision, but we were within our rights to appeal their decision. Obviously when we had an employee whose employment was terminated by us for performance reasons, it was quite upsetting if they were able to receive an unemployment check! And I'm pretty sure that resigning or quitting immediately disqualified one from receiving benefits.

Like the others, I believe getting some legal advice right away is in order.

Good luck.

RobiLee
10-21-2003, 08:02 AM
Geesh, Donna! When it rains it pours!! Stay tough, girl. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and wishing all good things for you!!

{{{Hugs}}}...Robin

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-21-2003, 08:03 AM
Donna,

So sorry you are having such a nightmare at the moment. I hope and pray things will get sorted out quickly. I know nothing about labor law (U.S. or anywhere!!!), so all I can do is keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and hope it is all resolved soon!

((((HUGS))))

Julie

ramanth
10-21-2003, 08:19 AM
Ahhhh Donna! That's just not fair. :( I hope it all works out for you. *hugs*

Logan, as far as I know, in Michigan, if you quit you are not entitled to unemployment. Only if you are fired or laid off can you apply for it.

catlover4ever
10-21-2003, 11:03 AM
Oh Donna, it's no wonder you moved out of this crappy state. I was pink-slipped from a job and had to have a quick hearing before I could collect, but I know of a handful of people who left their jobs (quit) and they were docked 2 to 3 weeks worth of unemployment as a sort of punishment for leaving, but they were entitled to their benefits, they just had to wait awhile.

I would definately stress the fact that their deadline was in March and if you were not entitled to the benefits they should have handled the situation when it was first brought to their attention.

I will keep you in my prayers and my fingers will be crossed for you as well. Keep us posted.

Meg

moosmom
10-21-2003, 11:35 AM
I talked to the State of CT Unemployment office today. I can breath a sigh of relief *sigh*.

The Hartford Courant filed their protest papers in a timely manor. It was the STATE that screwed up!!! :eek: According to the guy I spoke with, because the state was short-staffed and backlogged, THEY are the ones responsible for the screw up. So in other words, it was nothing I nor the Hartford Courant did.

Looks like the State of Connecticut is going to have to eat that money. Un-friggin believable!! No wonder they're the most over-taxed state in the country!!