PDA

View Full Version : Mike racing

Tonya
10-20-2003, 03:07 PM
Here's a picture of my husband at Sear's Point (aka Infineon Raceway) a few weeks ago. He's #942.

http://www.garyratherphoto.com/AFM/2003/SP_Oct03/race_06/0310_4513.JPG

isis
10-20-2003, 03:11 PM
Wow good picture!!:eek: :) Looks really scary to, I would never do something like that!!:eek: :p Did he win the race?!?!:)

micki76
10-20-2003, 03:15 PM
Yay! You did it! Great pic!!

Tonya
10-20-2003, 03:19 PM
Thanks, Isis. That picture did turn out great. I was surprised because usually he's just a blur or really far away.

No, he didn't win. He does really well, but the racing is more of a hobby for him. It is usually the young guys with lots of $$$ and time that win.

I agree, it is so dangerous. But, believe it or not, it is much safer then riding on the streets. He rode on the streets for years. I got so tired of people getting hurt. They used to ride every Sunday in the mountains. For like 8 weekends straight, someone either died or wrecked really bad. I finally told him that it was me or the bike. We compromised with him riding on the tracks only. At least there, there aren't unexpected cars, animals, gravel, dips in the road, etc... And (as demented as it sounds) at least the ambulance is right there. Most of the guys actually just slide on their butts or backs and get up and walk away. There isn't a whole lot for them to slam into when they wreck.

Tonya
10-20-2003, 03:21 PM
I didn't Micki...that came off of another website, not my own. I'm downloading pics to imagestation as we speak. We'll see if I can work it out there! If I figure it out, you guys are in alot of trouble! I have so many pictures I want to show you! You'll get an overload all at once. hehe.

micki76
10-20-2003, 03:27 PM
Imagestation is sooo easy. I can’t wait!! Yay!! More pics. If you can get it on here from another site, then you can use Imagestation.

isis
10-20-2003, 03:51 PM
To bad he didn't win, oh well. At least he had fun!!:D Thats all that matters.I'm surrprised the pic isn't a blur.

lovemyshiba
10-20-2003, 06:37 PM
Wow Tonya!! Great picture!!!
My husband was in here when I opened the pic, and wants to know what kind of bike Mike races--he is a bike freak!!! He doesn't have one right now, but has most of his life!!

Dogz
10-20-2003, 06:43 PM
Wow Tonya! That picture turned out GREAT! It looks scary, but fun at the same time.

Tonya
10-20-2003, 08:02 PM
Lovemyshiba, he used to race a 2001 Honda CBR 900. That is a 2002 Suzuki GSXR 1000. It was his first race with the GSXR. Now, it looks like he might be trading with a friend for a 2003 GSXR 1000. Boys and their toys. :rolleyes:

Tonya
10-20-2003, 08:05 PM
p.s. He actually painted that bike himself in the garage! Looks pretty darn good for the first time. :eek:

Dogz
10-20-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
Boys and their toys. :rolleyes:
LOL!

He did a really good job painting it!:eek:

captain
10-20-2003, 08:28 PM
What a great pic!!!

Cannot wait for you to "learn" how to use Imagestation .................:p

RobiLee
10-20-2003, 08:37 PM
Awesome, Awesome Pic, Tonya!! Looks scary and EXCITING!!

Robin :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-21-2003, 09:00 AM
That is an awesome picture! I've always been amazed at the motorcycle racers and how they lean so far over. How does the bike even stay on it's wheels when they lean that far? :eek: :D

I know what you mean about the pics you take all being blurry. The first few I took of Terry at Road America turned out with no car in them at all! By the time the camera snapped, he was gone already. Got a few pictures of blank walls and he's like "What's that?" I said, "well, that's you flying by so fast the camera couldn't keep up." :D I learned to snap ahead of time and still only got marginal pictures. :rolleyes:

I also know what you mean about racing on the track being much safer than on the street. The biggest unknown on the street is what the other person is going to do. On the track that unknown is taken away for the most part because there is a certain protocol to be followed when passing, coming up on someone, etc. In other words, you can much more accurately predict what the other person is going to do than you can on the street.

And I don't know if he rides on the street with as much safety gear as he does on the track, but that was another factor for us in the Corvettes. When we drive on the street we're just in plain clothes with no helmet. When we're on the track, we're strapped in with racing harnesses, fire proof suit, helmet, gloves, the whole shot so not only is it a much more controlled environment, we are much more protected than on the street too.

And the best part? You don't have to worry about speeding tickets! :D

Tonya
10-21-2003, 09:46 AM
And the best part? You don't have to worry about speeding tickets!

Lmao! :D

lovemyshiba
10-21-2003, 10:23 AM
Good point!!!

My husband used to race bikes as well, he raced a Honda CBR something (I forget the numbers).
Now he wants a Ducati........

tomkatzid
10-21-2003, 04:50 PM
Very cool picture, Sears Point is an awesome track. I used to race(motocross), spent a lot of my younger days at Seattle International Raceways watching road racing, and I agree, it is much safer than street riding. Even now, I mountain bike and road bike, but I avoid riding around cars like the plague!!!!!!.....tom