PDA

View Full Version : male dog wont breed

dram10
10-08-2000, 05:59 PM
I have a 3 yr. old Sheltie male.. I also have here a female who is in standing heat..He does not seem to have a clue of what to do. He whines and sniffs but that is it.. He has never once tried to mount. She raises her tail and backs up for him but he does nothing.. Can anyone help?? Thanks..
Donna

------------------
Donna

carrie
10-11-2000, 04:21 PM
Hi Donna,
The very first thing I would do is have your male`s hormone levels and...um..er..genital area checked by a vet. If all is well then there are still a few things you can try.
When your bitch first comes into season seperate her from the dog until she is ready to stand for him, you can test this by pressing gently on her lower back and when she is ready she will show you. Then only allow contact in a space where they have space to run and play if they wish. It may be that the dog has tried to mount before she is receptive and has been told off in a manner that has put him off trying again. Giving them some space from each other may revive his ardour! Obviously it has to be some place secure from other dogs and from escape! If possible, say in your own garden, leave them alone and watch through a window. In the wild mating is a very vunerable time for canids and the less distraction and possible threat the better, especially for a nervous male.
Before reintroducing the dogs to each other it may also help if the bitch has had some excersise to take the edge off her energy as she may be intimidating the dog a bit!
Remember to keep her safe from other dogs and ensure she can't escape!!
Lastly, good luck, and don't be too upset if it doesn't happen - even some of the most experienced studs come across a bitch that they would rather just be friends with!!!!

dram10
10-11-2000, 09:00 PM
HELLO CARRIE..THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY..SOMEONE I WORK WITH SUGGESTED SEPARATING THEM. I WAS HESITANT BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID THE FERTILE TIME WAS RUNNING OUT. I NOW KNOW MORE ABOUT HER ACTIONS WHICH SAY SHE IS RECEPTIVE. SHE LIFTED HER TAIL AND BACKED INTO HIM. ANYWAY THE VET SAID MY MALE COULD BE LACKING IN A HORMONE OR VITAMIN, BUT AN INJECTION WOULD NOT BE IN TIME TO BREED HER. I AM DISSAPPOINTED BECAUSE IT DID NOT HAPPEN, BUT I AM MUCH MORE PREPARED AND INFORMED FOR THE NEXT TIME. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO SPEND VET MONEY ON HIM, I JUST HOPED IT WOULD HAPPEN NATURALLY. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP. DONNA

------------------
Donna