PDA

View Full Version : springer bicycle jogger?

kobieeli
09-24-2001, 01:01 PM
We're considering buying a Springer bicycle jogger--pic and info is at this site: www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=794 (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=794)

My questions: Has anyone here used one of these before? Did it work as well as all the testimonials say it does? This would be for Eli mostly (60 pound Aussie who's a bit spazzy when out for a run) and attached to my own mountain bike, because Kobie loves to get in her harness and pull Paul on rollerblades. We want to be able to take the two of them for runs together without the danger of one of us having to control both dogs. :eek: The contraption claims to work great, but I just wondered if anyone has first-hand info to share before we shell out the cash.

Thanks!

aly
09-24-2001, 02:39 PM
Sorry, I haven't had any experience with anything like this. My pups are way too lazy :rolleyes: :D

Stenograsaurus
09-24-2001, 03:04 PM
My co-worker had seen a guy "trying" to take his german shephard for a walk on one of those things. She said he was being drug everywhere. Don't know how well it would work for you. I guess it would depend on the dog.

Elizabeth
10-04-2001, 06:32 PM
Sorry this is a little late. I've been using the springer bike attachment with my husky for over 2 years now. It is the best investment I could have made for him. He loves going for a bike ride with it!!! My only suggestion would be to get a different harness than the one that comes with it. I got one especially made for use with the springer (we tried many) from Rae's Harness shop (don't remember the website name), it doesn't bind under the dogs front legs. Zeus is a very strong and excitable dog and he hasn't been able to pull me over even when squirrels or deer run out in front of us! It's a great way to get all the exercise they need!! And it's fun!! (The website for the harness is www.raesharness.com (http://www.raesharness.com) ).

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

kobieeli
10-05-2001, 01:08 AM
Elizabeth, thanks SO much for the info--better late than never! We were just going to order the Springer tomorrow from Drs. Foster and Smith, so your timing is great. Good to hear that your Husky can't pull you over when he runs, and we'll keep in mind the alternative harness that you recommended. Wish us luck with it! I'll update everybody when we actually have used it... :)

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: kobieeli ]

Stenograsaurus
10-05-2001, 11:26 AM
If that contraption can hold back a husky, I'm pretty impressed. :D ;) Maybe the guy my co-worker had seen didn't have a good harness on his dog. Let me know how it works for you , kobieeli. I think it would be great to walk my dogs that way. I have a no pull harness for them now.

Elizabeth
10-09-2001, 02:42 PM
Hi KobieEli--
I was just wondering if you've gotten your springer yet and if you have, how's it going?
I forgot to mention before that I'm envious that your husband can rollerblade well enough to skate with your dog!! I started just this year with hope that after a couple of years I can do the same thing with Zeus! Does he use the hip belt that skijorers use? Hope you're having fun!

kobieeli
10-09-2001, 03:28 PM
Hi Elizabeth!

We ordered the Springer on Sunday, so we're expecting it to arrive maybe Friday of this week. We can't wait!...Yeah, Paul's a really good blader, although he scares me to death: he just holds one leash in each hand (no skijoring belt), tells them "Mush doggies!", and tears off down the street--no helmet, no protective pads, nada. Meanwhile I can't even rollerblade from one end of the patio to the other! :p

We'll be putting up lots of pooch pics on our website soon, so when we get the Springer you all will get to see those photos too!

shais_mom
10-09-2001, 11:43 PM
You have to hear this!
I was just reading your last post and forgot what the topic was about. (Springer -- I thought you meant the dog)
And I read the part "We ordered the Springer and should get it Friday" and I was like HUH?!

kobieeli
10-10-2001, 12:06 AM
Shais Mom--LOL! :D "Yup, we're expecting UPS to drop off our dog any day now..." :eek:

[ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: kobieeli ]

purrley
10-10-2001, 07:31 AM
kobi - that's tooooo funny :D :D :D Be sure and let us know how you like your new springer (not spaniel that is :D :D )

kobieeli
10-14-2001, 11:23 PM
Update: the Springer (the gadget, not the spaniel!) arrived late Friday just as expected! We're really jazzed about putting it together and trying it out, which we haven't done yet because we spent the weekend hiking with the dogs in the eastern Sierra--just got home a couple of hours ago. In the next week or so, look for Springer pics as well as pics of our mountain outing! The weather was gorgeous and I think we got some great photos... :D