PDA

View Full Version : Beauty Marks???

3-greys-and-a-mutt
09-24-2001, 08:46 AM
Can dogs get beauty marks - those flat, small, moles?? My Buddy has a dark brown dot on the inside of his thigh.
I have beauty marks, and the doctor has always said to keep a watch on them, because certain factors can mean cancer - I've even had some beauty marks and moles removed and tested for cancer.
...So of course I worry about Buddy. I've never seen a mark like this on a dog! It's very dark brown and about the size of the head of a large pin. It's flat and moves when I move his skin.
(And before anyone asks, yes, I tried washing it already! :p )
Any thoughts? :confused:

lizbud
09-24-2001, 12:33 PM
three-greys-and-a-mutt,
Good question...I'm pretty sure Buddy has a
beauty-mark (mole) on the side of his muzzle.
Would be like his cheek,it has black hairs growing out of it..It has never grown larger or changed shape that I can tell.I'll have
to give Bud another GOOD look when I get
home later...

tatsxxx11
09-24-2001, 04:33 PM
So many different types of skin annomalies; on dogs and humans! Has he always had it? Or is it something you just noticed? Could be a mole, skin tag or a wart perhaps. Sometimes they can become aggrevated by licking. I would suggest you have your vet check it out for your peace of mind! Let us know!

shais_mom
09-25-2001, 07:17 AM
Jessica, on the back of Shai's thighs, she got small dark scars, I assume due to her licking, after she cut herself jumping the baby gate after a seizure. They were so dark and round that most of the time my dad saw them he thought they were ticks and he would grab her and look at her legs!

3-greys-and-a-mutt
09-25-2001, 07:19 AM
I decided that mommies have a right to be hypochondriacs, so I called the vet. He goes in tomorrow at 5 p.m. to get it looked at, since it seems to be a recent development. Going to the vet should make me stop worrying, and checking it every couple hours to see if it changed.
:rolleyes: I have a feeling I'm going to be a real nutcase when I have skin kids. :rolleyes:

Sudilar
09-25-2001, 06:42 PM
Good luck at the vet and please keep us posted!!

lizbud
09-25-2001, 07:12 PM
three-greys-and-a-DOG OF THE DAY (Pup),
For what it's worth, I don't think you are
over-reacting at all by noticeing something
different on your fur-baby and getting it
checked out by the Vet..
I'll bet You would be a GREAT MOM to a
skin-baby as well!!!
Just let everyone know what the Vet thinks.
All The Best, Lizbud.

Daisy's Mom
09-25-2001, 09:14 PM
Daisy has a lot of black spots on her stomach and chest. They've always been there and I never even gave them a second thought! I hope Buddy's are normal too.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
10-02-2001, 08:20 AM
Just an FYI for those of you that might have been concerned about your dogs' spots too: the vet said it was unusual, but just a spot of discolored pigment. We are supposed to keep an eye on it and bring him in if it ever gets "depth" to it - that is, if it ever feels like a bump, above or below skin level.
Bad news, though... Buddy gained 3 pounds over the summer, even though he's been eating half regular food and half Pup's lite food. Paula gets four cups a day of regular, and she's 53 pounds. Buddy has been geeting two cups of regular and two cups of lite, and he's up to 74 pounds. So, the vet said to switch him to all lite, and see how that goes for 6 to 8 weeks. If he continues to gain, or doesn't drop at all, then he will need to have his thyroid checked. So I hope he loses weight... :(

[ October 02, 2001: Message edited by: 3-greys-and-a-mutt ]

tatsxxx11
10-02-2001, 02:47 PM
So glad to hear the good news about the spots!! You must feel so relieved!! And as for the weight gain, there are a few other pups here trying to shed a few! Perhaps they can give you a few tips!!