PDA

View Full Version : I got my 3 month review yesterday :(

moosmom
10-18-2003, 12:52 PM
This job that I LOVED so much gave me my 3 month review yesterday. To say I was blindsided is an understatement.

A little history...I designed an Employee Handbook, complete with unique cover including their company logo, on a program (Microsoft Publisher) I had never worked on before. It took weeks to design and polish. I worked many hours of overtime till it was finally completed on Thursday night at 6 p.m. (my hours are usually 8-4:30 p.m.) I save them alot of money in copying costs by copying and putting the books together myself (42 pages, 2 sided)

I was hired as a receptionist. In my 35 years of employment, I have NEVER heard of a receptionist doing invoicing, timecards, timesheets and calling customers for purchase orders. I was given a copy of my job description which didn't include any of the above.

I was hired at $10/hr with a 3 month probationary period. During that time, I was tardy twice (I made up my time), and 2 times when I went home sick (a bad cold, and a migraine), I also made up my time. I was very upbeat and loved my job. I get along with everyone.

Well yesterday, I was told that I wouldn't be getting a pay increase because...

1. I wasn't enthusiastic enough
2. Made too many errors in my typing (actually it was the bosses wife who kept changing the text)
3. I wasn't ENTHUSIASTIC enough about my job (like I'm supposed to dance on my desk everyday)
4. NOT THAT THEY'RE COMPARING ME TO THE OTHER NEW EMPLOYEE THAT WAS HIRED THE SAME TIME I WAS...but SHE comes in at 7:30 a.m. without being asked.
4. I put in too many "requests" (i.e., taking an extra 1/2 hour to file a claim in court, making up my time; taking the kittens that were dumped on their property to the shelter ON MY LUNCH HOUR, making up any extra time I took.
5. Not creating new projects (like reorganizing the supply cabinet, rearranging the filing system, etc.)

There was not one bit of positive feedback except for "I'm a nice person and their dog, Money Penny loves me." Well THOSE things don't pay the bills. They told me not to take it personally. What I'm most angry about is that I actually SIGNED the review. I should've have refused. But it's too late now.

In other words, I was sabotaged so that they didn't HAVE to give me a pay increase. I was told that they "upped" the board by hiring me at the rate of pay of $10/hr.

I never once got an "attagirl" or "great job!!" for the handbook I did. Oh, and the little box on the review form that says "works overtime" was not checked. When I asked them about it, they said "Oh, that's for the shop workers." Uh-huh.

I also wear clogs, which are supposed to be a no-no, even though 2 of the other women wear them.

I walked outta there (my review was from 4:30 to 5 p.m., of which I'm puttin in for the overtime) feeling like a true failure. I had my own personal pity party in a bubble bath with a glass of wine. Didn't make me feel much better, but it sure dulled the pain.

So I've decided I'm staying there till the beginning of the year, but will start looking for another job now. If I find one before the beginning of the year, great. But my total outlook on the whole company has really changed my attitude. I'm going in there, doing what I have to do, and going home.

End of story. Thanks for letting me go on. You guys have always been there for me. You're the best!!!

Aspen and Misty
10-18-2003, 01:13 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this all :( You sound like a wonderfu worker and any company should be lucky to have you!

Ash

luckies4me
10-18-2003, 01:20 PM
Grr, that makes me mad! :mad:

I know what you mean about signing things you don't want to. The vet hospital made me sign something saying that I didn't write down the correct vaccines on the history sheet when I KNOW FOR A FACT that I did, but I was too angry to not sign it. The lady who brought her cat in didn't know a damn thing about the vaccines so I had to talk to her for about 20 minutes to get her to decide on which ones she wanted. I did what I had to do, if the lady couldn't understand it then oh frickin well. I am so tired of this "The Customer always is right", my a$$. :mad:

I hope you feel better soon. You will find a better job in no time, one that actually thanks you for your hard time spent there. Cheer up!:)

tomkatzid
10-18-2003, 01:39 PM
If I didn't know better I'd say you work where I do.... Sometimes it doesn't take much to keep an employee happy, a thanks and a good job here and there make a big difference. I also know what you mean by others can do it but I can't. My work is FILLED with that. The human resources dept should be called the hu'mean' resources dept. Your post got me all fired up again, just like it was me that it was happening too. I need to have some chocolate:)
Just try to make the best of it untill you get a 'great' new job. I'm looking too.
Katz

sasvermont
10-18-2003, 01:51 PM
You know, every office works and acts a different way. My office has a receptionist and we get new ones like changing shoes in the season. The job itself is a thank less one! You have all the troubles of the place and no power to change them. They should give all receptionists a gun and a bucket of water (to throw on all those who get out of control and you don't want to kill them). Folks often treat receptionists as third class citizens. I never figured that one out. I always, always, praise when it is due and let them know how something could be different.

I too would look for a new job, get all the crappy topics done during the interview....ie. clogs, late once in awhile etc. etc.

Come work for us, in Burlington, VT. We have a receptionist right now, who is not bright at all, but she is very, very nice, on time, never takes any extended this or that, she is not attractive (much to the concern of a few men at the office) but you know what, her positives out weigh the negatives. She is not great, by any means, but she is fine with me. We get what we pay for in most cases.

Receptionists should be paid much more for what they do (typing, entering time slips, ordering things, talking to court clerks etc. etc.) and until they pay more, and therefore respect the position more, they will continue to hire and treat folks like you as a need and not a person.

Lawyers (not all, of course) are not always the best business people. I fight with them all day long and try to get them back down to earth.

Sorry for the lecture..... I feel sorry for you. Go find another job ASAP and I wish you all the luck in getting the right one.

Miss Meow
10-18-2003, 07:19 PM
Donna, buy yourself (or steal one from your office's stationery cabinet ;)) a little notebook, and every time you do something new, different, get positive feedback from a customer, or improve a process, write yourself a note about your accomplishment with the date.

Firstly, when they are playing mind games with you, you can sit with your glass of wine and look through your note book and see the difference you make to the company, and all the good things you do. It might also be useful at review time, but hopefully you can find a better job soon and won't need a next review time there :)

I remember a job, where the only criticism of me was that I sometimes laughed a little loudly. OK, whatever ...

Miss Meow
10-18-2003, 07:24 PM
Donna, I forgot something. Reviews aren't intended to surprise and shock, performance issues should be managed at the time instead of being compiled at review time. That's really, really trashy of your employer :(

moosmom
10-18-2003, 10:33 PM
Miss Meow,

THAT is why it took me by surprize. There was absolutely NO mention of it before my review. I believe that if there is a problem, tell the person at that particular moment instead of waiting for review time.

I'm just biding my time right now, taking advantage of the benefits (going for a pap smear, mammorgram, colinscopy :eek:, and therapy, uh, not the physical kind). I'm going to start looking now.

As far as taking time off (I was told "We call get sick, and have "little" colds, but we still come to work") I don't care anymore. I have to go to court to fight a ticket on 11/12 and plan on calling in sick and might even take a Monday and a Friday and fly to CT for 4 days. Since I'm working alot at Bed Bath & Beyond, at least I'll be covered finance wise.

I realize I made mistakes there. They even got on my case about having my co-worker check my work (she was training me!!!). So, from now on I won't. And I just plain don't give a crap.

:D :D :D Thanks for listening to me vent guys. I know the post was long but I wanted you to get the whole scenario.

Luckies4me,

What gets me is, alot of stuff I was blamed for (like mistakes on service logs that were inputted) were done WAY before I started working there.

*sigh* Things will get better.

micki76
10-18-2003, 10:44 PM
Wow, I guess, I’m really lucky. My boss wants me to take off work if I’m sick so I don’t contaminate the entire office.

Why in the world would they get on your case about having someone who was training you check your work? (I still have someone proof-read my work for spelling errors)

Sounds like a bunch of tight a$s people that I wouldn’t want to work with or for. I’ve been “temporarily employed” by people like that before, too. And the “temporary’ was my choice. If I were you, I’d move on, too!

shais_mom
10-18-2003, 11:31 PM
So sorry about this Donna.
It just isn't fair. We really need to start a PetTalkVille!!! Where noone would get bad reviews!!!
I have to agree with SallyAnne, we have a secretary at work that came from working from a bank to working in a hospital with no medical training and it shows. She doesn't pronounce words right or spell them right nor does she care. She screws up and farts around and her response is "OH WELL, so write me up" She flat out told me over a year ago to not call attention to her mistakes, fix them myself, and keep my trap shut, b/c then she would start calling attention to my mistakes. Noone says anything to her b/c she is a nice person other than that.
But I have a hard time dealing with her stupidity.
I also got blindsided with a review when I was hired in my current job, 5 years ago. I had been there a year, and had a review and they basically told me if I didn't shape up, I was going to get fired, this coming from a place that doesn't fire people but once in awhile. I cried myself to sleep for days. I had to retrain with another person, work with another person and report to my supervisor. Made to look like a fool alot of times, but I stuck it out. Noone ever followed up with it, I have gotten good reviews ever since then, and my boss herself has told me she was glad that she gave me another chance, she knew there was something about me that she wanted to keep. She said that she knew that even tho I needed help, you couldn't have asked for a nicer person, employee. I show up, work my a$$ off while I am there, rarely call in sick (used 10 hours of sick time in 5 years), come in when I am needed. Mistakes yes, I make them, perfect, heaven knows, I am not, but glad I stuck it out. Most of the time!!! :) But I realize that there isn't really a perfect place to work, and there are troublemakers everywhere. What I did learn, is to buckle down and be more careful and take pride in what I do. Most of the time I do enjoy it, then there are times I don't.
And it never fails, every year around the same time, I get a sinking feeling in my stomach like it is going to happen again.
Course it didn't help that a year later, a vindicitive secretary came up to me on her last day before retirement saying that she overheard my boss and her boss talking about letting me go. I went into hysterics. I had done everything I had been asked, and had JUST been offered full time 2nd shift. It didn't make sense, but nonetheless I freaked out. A coworker went to my supervisor's boss and asked what was up and he was flabbergasted. Told her to tell me it was completely false, I had nothing to worry about, and was glad that the secretary wouldn't be back. When my supervisor got wind of it, she was livid.
Not really sure why I am dragging this out, guess it doesn't really have a point. :(
Donna, Good luck in the new job search and Don't forget you can move to OHIO! :)
hugs to you!:mad:

Rachel
10-18-2003, 11:46 PM
Donna, even though you signed your review, it is not too late to write a rebuttal to the points in contention. Based on what you have told us, you have plenty of ammunition. Be very professional in your style. Whatever these peoples' problem is, I would not let them reduce you to tactics that you cannot be proud of. Let your work ethic be your guide.

And like you have already decided, start looking for another job.

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-19-2003, 01:10 AM
Donna,

That really sucks! It sounds like the people you work for are REALLY nit-picky, and are just looking for an excuse not to give you a salary increase!

I have always thought that a review should be a 2-way street - it should be an opportunity to discuss issues etc.

At least you HAVE a job now, and NO misguided sense of loyalty. Use the benefits, use the resources there, and call in sick when you have other interviews lined up!! (After all it's a lot easier to find another job when you are already employed)

I am sending prayers that this opens up a new door for you, and you find a wonderful new position where you are truly appreciated.
(((HUGS)))

10-19-2003, 06:50 AM
This is really NOT fair to you, Donna...:( ! If I were you, I would do the same thing as you said: do what you have to do, and look for a better job!

Pam
10-19-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Rachel
Donna, even though you signed your review, it is not too late to write a rebuttal to the points in contention.

Donna I think this is an excellent idea. I don't know how much it will help but it certainly can't hurt and can be made a part of your Human Resources file just in case, for whatever reasons, it should be needed in the future. It will also give you some satisfaction to get it off your chest.

I work for a doctor and believe me our reviews are nothing to brag about. I really do believe that positive things are overlooked and weak points emphasized because it gives him justification in his own mind to give feeble increases and keep the money in his bank account and not ours. I have also found in former places of employment that the more you take on the more they expect you to take on. That's fine but there should be recognition of that and, at the very least, an "atta girl!" I hope the perfect job is right around the corner for you. In the meantime I think it's an excellent idea to take advantage of some of those benefits. Good luck with the colonoscopy. I just had one two weeks ago and, though the test itself was easy, the prep is no day at the beach! :rolleyes: :eek: **hugs**

moosmom
10-19-2003, 07:36 AM
At least you HAVE a job now, and NO misguided sense of loyalty. Use the benefits, use the resources there, and call in sick when you have other interviews lined up!! (After all it's a lot easier to find another job when you are already employed)

EXACTLY!

As always, you guys ROCK!!!

I thought of going in tomorrow and being SOOOO enthusiastic it would make them puke. Like "GOOD MORNING!!!!!! I LOVE my job and am DAMN glad to be here *smile* *smile*" (gag me :p )

When they asked me if I had any comments, I was so stunned, I just thanked them for their feedback, told them I didn't take it personally and left. I thought at the time it would leave them wondering. But it doesn't matter now.

I see a 4 day weekend in CT in my NEAR future and alot more hours at Bed, Bath & Beyond. :D

catlady1945
10-19-2003, 04:32 PM
That is really too bad. Sometimes people's perceptions are really strange! I would certainly give them a write-up to put in your file - but be very unemotional and stick to the facts. About the non-raise - years ago this happened to me. I had a wonderful performance review (at 3 months), and my boss told me he wasn't giving me a raise because that would spoil me (!!!) I was too young and stupid to challenge the idiot. I learned later that absolutely everyone got a raise or they were let go.

captain
10-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
I remember a job, where the only criticism of me was that I sometimes laughed a little loudly. OK, whatever ...

Hey - are we twins!!!! I got that the other day!!!!

Donna,

How awful for you ......... if they cannot see what a gem you are NOW, when you go ........ they will surely realise it.

I totally agree with Rachel ......... this has happened to me ..... and I took my Job Description, and wrote next to every item what I had done that covered THAT aspect of my Job Description .
THEN I listed all the stuff I did that was NOT on that JD, and handed it to them .... I also insisted it go in my personnel file.

You go girl!!!!! You deserve so much more than this ......

moosmom
10-20-2003, 09:30 AM
I came into work this morning with a telephone sized pole up my butt. I told my supervisor very calmly EXACTLY what I thought of their review, that it SUCKED!!! And that they had no right to compare me to another employee who doesn't do my job. I also told her that even I know how to give reviews, which is something Mrs. G should learn. She agreed that she was really tough on me. :confused: AND??????

She suggested that I go in and talk to the boss and his wife. Well, I didn't have to cuz the minute they walked in the door, she was in her office with the door closed. I'm SURE she told her everything I said, which is fine with me. I told her I wanted a copy of the review to frame it, because in my 35 years of employment, it was THE worst one I had EVER gotten. Like I said before, I'm just biding my time (as I sit here posting on PT :D )

Oh, and as far as the no open-back shoe policy?? One of the other co-workers is wearing them today. I told her about them telling me NOT to wear them, Michele said that she has problems with her feet and those are the only kind of shoes she CAN wear. So guess what I'm wearing tomorrow???

Buttholes!!

stacwase
10-20-2003, 09:44 AM
You know if you're doing a good job or not, and you should trust yourself and not let these people make you doubt yourself.

I had a similar situation in which I had been hired for a job and went absolutely above and beyond the call of duty, and I was actually fired because they said I was a "slow learner".

Now - I know for a fact that's not true because I've been rapidly promoted to the highest point possible in every position I've held before and since.

I found out later that the reason they'd fired me is because they thought I had noticed their medicare fraud and they were afraid I was going to turn them in. They fired me so that they could say it was a disgruntled employee thing. I hadn't even realized what they were doing was illegal.

So - I realized that employers often have hidden motives for the things they say and do, and that they're not to be trusted!

If you're working in a snake pit, pack your things and move on before they bring you down to their level. You're better than that.

Soledad
10-20-2003, 10:11 AM
Donna, you crack me up!!

anna_66
10-20-2003, 03:05 PM
You go girl:D

Tonya
10-20-2003, 03:12 PM
I am sorry to hear that, Donna. They are probably just looking for excuses so that they don't have to pay you more. Don't let them take advantage of you!

PayItForward
10-21-2003, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't want Donna or Captain, upset with me. ;)

I love the attitudes, down with dud bosses.

Though in my current job, I have the best boss ever :p

But I have had my share of idiots. I remember a male boss who shouted at me daily (I was young & too soft and put up with it for months). Blamed me for his mistakes and told me I was a stupid little girl.

I couldn't sleep and had constant headaches, I coudn't stay there and after speaking to another manager who took me to the Managing Director to sort it out. The MD offered to help but I just wanted to leave and I did with a good reference and a couple of months money. :D

And my old boss...well a little bird told me , that he couldn't do my work or his own (I did most of it for him) and went to the MD and tried to blame his problems on the fact I left !!! He was severly shouted at and later decided to leave the firm. He He.

Can anyone say Karma !!!

RICHARD
10-21-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
Donna, buy yourself (or steal one from your office's stationery cabinet ;)) a little notebook,

MISS MEOW,

I am shocked that you would suggest taking one notebook......I say steal one of EVERYTHING before you leave.....

Of course, I did want to open cans of sardines and dump them in a heating vent at the old facility on the day I left.....

MOOSMOM,
If you really don't care about putting the place on your resume why not give them a performance review before you split?(they have a fancy name for them :rolleyes:....is it separation review??)

Let them know WHY they could not hold on to a GOOD employee.....But, start it out with, "please don't take this personally but, I QUIT!!"

I once had a reviewer tell me that she couldn't give me good marks on my review because the other employees would be upset.

Another time I was written up by a super and when asked to sign I told her, "I'm not gonna sign, I know what we discussed today, I trust you'll remember what we talked about....."

I outlasted both those dopes.
:D

moosmom
10-21-2003, 05:34 PM
RICHARD,

You crack ME up!!! I called in sick today :D :D :D I told them I had a migraine (a**holes). When I called at 7 a.m., the sales rep answered the phone. I told him I had a migraine and wouldn't be in. He said "Oh, don't be a baby!!" I shot back, "Oh, don't be a Mrs. Goodman!!" (she's the owner's wife).

So I took care of some personal business (did you read the thread about the State of CT wanting their unemployment wages back???)

Anyway, we'll see what happens when I go in tomorrow.