PDA

View Full Version : interdigital cysts

arolittlebit
10-01-2000, 09:39 AM
My 5 year young black lab suffers from interdigital cysts. I have tried cephalexin, immunoregglin shots, creams, topical treatments,without success. He chews his paws constantly. What can I do to relieve the itch? I'd prefer not to have them surgically removed. He tested positive for 45 allergies on the Heksa test, and receives desensitizing shots every two weeks. He is also totally blind since the age of 9 months. To look at him, you would never know there was anything wrong with him. He weighs 104lbs, and is the happiest dog I have ever had. He recently became a working dog for the CT Humane Society, and once a week we go visit nursing homes. I really need to do something to help with his constant chewing of his paws.
Thanks!
arolittlebit

[This message has been edited by arolittlebit (edited October 01, 2000).]

teena
10-03-2000, 08:26 AM
Have you tried the dog boots? They carry them at PetsMart and they're little nylon shoe-type things that close with velcro. It is very hard for dogs to get them off. I put them on my dogs when we go to the lake. I live in the desert and the pavement and sand gets hot enough here to blister their pads. Might work for the itching.

arolittlebit
10-03-2000, 04:38 PM
Teena:
Tried several bootie types. He is magical at getting things off, and the problem is still there. I need something to stop the itch, and reduce the swelling from the cyst. They are caused by staph infection, and the cehpalexin works somewhat, but not enough. But Thanks!

teena
10-03-2000, 04:47 PM
How about Bag Balm? I use that on my dogs for all infections, cuts, etc. (Even use it on my hubby!) http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

arolittlebit
10-03-2000, 04:58 PM
What is it and where do you get it?

dogncatluvr
10-03-2000, 05:02 PM
Arolittlebit, (cute name!)

Has your vet ever done sensitivity testing on the Staph? The Staph may have become resistant to the Cephalexin especially if you have been using it a lot. You may have to try a different antibiotic, but do the sensitivity testing first, to see which antibiotic the Staph is sensitive to.
I have Labs too, and my older one sometimes licks her paws. I know that is due to allergies, though.
Good luck, some bacterial infections are hard to get rid of. (Ever thought of it possibly being a fungal infection? Or have you tested for that?)

arolittlebit
10-03-2000, 05:11 PM
dogncatluvr: were you playing slots last night? someone else has the same name. Yes we tried several antibiotics, and the cephalexin worked best, but not completely. I call him my "Million Dollar Puppy" because it seems that's what I've spent. But he so wonderful, I don't care what it costs, as long as he's happy & healthy. When they did a culture, It came back staph. They have been pretty bad, and have caused a lot of scar tissue to build up. He is an indoor dog, and I even wash his feet if he is on grass for any length of time. I spend more time cleaning his feet than I do shaving my legs! By the way, his name is Little Bit!

teena
10-04-2000, 08:07 AM
You can get Bag Balm at any feed store. Sometimes Wal-Mart carries it. It is great stuff!

arolittlebit
10-04-2000, 05:07 PM
teena:
Thanks. Just so happens, I live next door to a feed and grain store.It's worth a try. He is just so sweet, I hate to see him uncomfortable. And they must itch to make him chew them so much. I'll let you know.
arolittlebit

carrie
10-11-2000, 05:00 PM
Hi,
My present GR also has pretty major allergy problems and as my husband is in the forces we move around quite a bit. This means that veterinary treatment has been of limited use, well none actually! Our local vet at the moment is very keen to start sticking needles of cortisone in, a substance that drastically reduces the natural immune system. As I know to my dogs cost this is an invitation to every harmful bug around to have a party on his skin! This vet has given up and said this is the only thing he can think of.
A few things that have helped Paddy; diet, add a raw egg once or twice a week to his feed (if he is not allergic to them), raw minced garlic, 1 or 2 cloves a day, brewers yeast, invaluable and a cold pressed vegetable oil, start with a tablespoon a day.
It is vital that the cysts are dry at all times, clip any excess hair from toes and under and between pads with blunt ended scisorrs. Try splitting your dogs daily intake of food into 3 or even better 4 small meals a day. Before each meal bathe the cysts in a solution of Epsom salts and dry thoroughly then try a nappy rash cream such as Sudocream - a tiny bit goes a long way!! Rub this well in and then take a very long time preparing the meal, time the dog is not thinking about itchy feet!
Distractions are also a good idea although beware of anything that will stick or dribble onto his paws, Kongs stuffed with food and then frozen are brilliant for times that there isn't anything else to do, but be sure to remove these as soon as something more interesting happens. These are good if some garlic is added to help a blind dog find them!!
Hope that is of some use, good luck!

arolittlebit
10-11-2000, 06:19 PM
Carrie:
Thank you so much for your reply. These allergy problems can be so frustrating . I do try to keep his feet dry, and he is an indoor dog. He is groomed once a week, for his therapy visits, and I will have the groomer trim his feet on a regular basis.
I need to check the results of his Heksa test for eggs, and garlic, but I don't think he is allergic to either of them. I will try the epsom salts, and sudocream. He goes for his desensitizing shot tomorrow, so I will ask his vet about all of this.
Has Paddy had the Heksa test? Before Little Bit did, he was almost bald from scratching. Since he started on the shots, his coat is beautiful! He was tested for flea, indoor, and outdoor allergies.The test was $240.00, but worth every penny.
Once again, thank you for the suggestions, and the best of luck and health to you and Paddy!

AdoreMyDogs
10-12-2000, 08:23 AM
hi arolittlebit,

I have some advice, I hope you will be able to try it out and I hope even more that it works. I am really into natural health both for me, my hubby, and for my furry family members. My aussie mix is free of any health problems but my pug that I adopted recentlly had terrible allergies. Her past owners used to take her to the vet every 2 months or so for steroid shots for her swolen, bloody ears http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif She would rub them against everything, she'd rub them until they would bleed, then rub them more and get blood all over everything that she rubbed against. It was sad, and kinda gross too, poor thing http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif She also had no hair on her feet because she would itch her feet too and they would get a little swolen and dark pink. Anyway, to make a long story short, I gave this supplement called Prozyme to my dog for general health, because I want him around forever, and as soon as I took this pug in and of course started her on Prozyme too, the swealling went down a huge amount in her ears! Her ears cleared up almost 100%, then I got lazy and forgot to order more and I ran out, well, her ears got real bad again and I was able to see how great this Prozyme stuff really was. In case you have not heard anything about it, it introduces enzymes necessary for health. Enzymes are often killed/destroyed in the processing of foods, even the high quality processed foods have lost alot of their enzymes. It's not too expensive, I buy it by the pound for less then $20. I don't remember who I bought it from this time but I do a search on your browser for "prozyme dog" and you can compare prices. It's also great for cats and other animals (birds, horses, rodents, you name it).

Hope it helps. I know how frustrating it is to see that happen. Before I got this pug I had a yellow lab for 13 years who could have really benifitted from it, he had skin problems too, but I just recentlly found the stuff.

arolittlebit
10-12-2000, 05:04 PM
Hi Adoremydogs:Cute name
Thank for the suggestion. Little Bit has problems with his ears too. That's why he was on the cephalexin. It has helped, but his eardrum has a lot of scar tissue, and came dangerously close to closing up. The only treatment would have been surgery, and that would have left him deaf in one ear. He is already totally blind, and I didn't want to have him lose his hearing too. Thank God, the medication helped before we had to face that decision. He is also on a mixture eardrops, of an antibiotic, antifungal,anti yeast, and something which is used for reptiles, to reduce staph. With all of this, the problem is under control now, but I check his ears everyday for any sign of reoccurence. I will check on the prozyme. It sounds like a good idea. I plan to try all of the suggestions I've received, one at a time, and plan to have Little Bit around for a long, long time. He is my Little Bit of Heaven on Earth, and I can't imagine my life without him. Again, thank you, and best of luck to you and your furry family. arolitttlebit

carrie
10-12-2000, 05:52 PM
Hi again,
I too have used Prozyme and have found it an excellent product for some dogs. It really is worth a try, but (why is there always a but?) would always suggest that if it does show an improvement in the dogs health then diet could probably be adjusted to further effect. Fresh veg and plenty of it, if not readily taken try mincing it. Try to cut down on processed foods and go for fresh and raw wherever possible. If Prozyme is helping it may also be worth having a blood test done to check pancreatic function. Not that you need another problem!
Thanks for your good wishes and just keep imagining how good it will feel when you hit on the right solutions for your dog!

arolittlebit
10-12-2000, 06:02 PM
Hello Carrie:
Just got back from the vet, and went over all the suggestions with him. Little Bit loves carrots, apples, grapes etc. He only gets Purina. That's the food I've had the least amount of problems and reactions with. He can't have wheat, rice lamb, corn etc, or can't tolerate much of it. I use vegatable bones too. Next time we go to the vet's, I'll check into the pancreatic test. We go back in two weeks for his desensitizing shot. Again, thanks for the info. You're right. I will feel great when this is settled, and so will he!!! aro

Sudilar
10-13-2000, 10:22 AM
My GSD was on prescription FP (fish and potatoes) for a while when he had some skin or allergy problems. We also added 1 cup of canned salmon with its oil to his food everyday. (Look for it on sale, though, or you could go broke!!) It cured him very nicely. No problems since. (Now he's on Eukanuba Large Breed.) Just a thought.
Su

carrie
10-13-2000, 01:27 PM
Hi again,
Eukanuba is just about the best processed food you buy as far as I am concerned although it can be expensive. Sorry arolittlebit, it was just stupid of me not to take wheat allergy into consideration - only the most common food allergy known!! Duh! What can I say?
To try and redeem myself slightly - beans and peas properly cooked can be an ideal subsitute in a home made diet.

arolittlebit
10-13-2000, 04:16 PM
Carrie: Allergies are complicated and it's so easy to get confused. Peas & beans, and Sulidar's suggestion of canned salmon... Little Bit will be eating better that I will! But if it keeps him healthy and itch free, it's worth it. Tomorrow, a trip to the feed store for bag balm, drugstore for epsom salts and sudocream, the grocery store for the rest. My day off!!! Little Bit is worth every bit of it! Thanks !!!!!

arolittlebit
10-13-2000, 04:19 PM
Sulidar:
Potatoes are another of the 48 no-no's for Little Bit, but the fish sounds possible. Betwen the fish and garlic, I'll have to brush is teeth more often. He sleeps with me! Thanks so much for the hint!! aro