PDA

View Full Version : I need to get this off my chest

Amber
10-17-2003, 02:20 PM
Ok, I have been so upset deep inside of me. This sounds sooo *SO* stupid but, I want another dog *sooo* bad! Ive been doing so much research for another dog and I feel like Im so ready for one. Last night I was talking to my mom and telling her how much I wanted a dog. and she just tuns on me saying NO. and the other day I was looking in classicfied adds in the newspaper and they have puppies sor sale. and My dad was standing here and I was kinda joking around saying Can we get one? and he's like NO. even though I was saying it in a joking voice I was trying to get my point. They keep telling me you can get a dog when you move out and get your own house. jeez I dont want a dog when Im older, I wont one now! What did you do to get your dog? I know it will be Responsibility. But what else? Sorry Its upsetting me.

Foam
10-17-2003, 02:34 PM
Oh geez..this is how I felt 8 months ago.

It's going to take time. I know you want it now, but be patient. Make a deal with your parents. Tell them you promise to help around the house alot more, and that kind of stuff. Parents like that you're maturing in that type of sense.
They already know you take care of Katie, and your cat but what's one other, right?
Financial problems is what. Right now's a hard time in the economy for money, and maybe your parents couldn't afford to keep another dog right now. You need to understand that.
To get Ozzy, I had to be responsible for 7 straight months. For 7 months, I researched all about agility and the dog I wanted. The hard part was cleeeeaning. I had to do the dishes every night, take out the trash, clean my room, make the bed, clean up Darlin's messes and everything. All for 7 straight months. It was well worth it though! Now I have the doggy of my dreams!
I also have a great deal of respect now. Every time I got in trouble, it would be another strike against my new dog. I had to learn to respect everything and everyone around me, without being rude or troublesm.

Sorry, kiddo but these types of things can't be rushed. Parents are like closed doors..you just have to know how to unlock them, then you have an opening to your dream! :)

cali
10-17-2003, 02:50 PM
I agree with foam, to get happy I have to make written promises, I had to give up my allowence for a year, and do extra chores, tones of cleaning as well as showing responsibilty for taking care of all my other pets, and get good grades in school to proove I could handle it I had to do this for 6 months. even for me to get my first real pet sandy a gerbil I had to take care of fake gerbils first alonge with a bunch of extra chores, and my mom put sandy on hold at the store for me :)

wolfsoul
10-17-2003, 02:52 PM
I know how you feel. :) I'd love to get my catahoula now, but what I'd even rather do, is wait a couple years until I'm out of my house, financially stable, actually find a house that allows dogs (which is very hard to do nowadays!!), and be perfectly ready. I understand your need and want, but sometimes it's best to wait. By the time your parents say yes, it could be in the near future, or even further down the road, but atleast you'd have done more research.

Good luck! :)

Amber
10-17-2003, 03:07 PM
Thankyou everyone Im feel better. Foam your advice was great! I understand now about the money stuff, good point and Thanks everyone. Im gonna try to make a deal with my parents. To try and get that dog of my dreams.

wolfsoul
10-17-2003, 03:10 PM
Psst -- what will this "dog of your dreams ;) " be like?

Breed...etc?

ramanth
10-17-2003, 03:26 PM
Not to be a downer....but...some parents just won't cave. I never got to have a dog when I was living at home, no matter how many times I begged, pleaded, or made promises.

I didn't get Kia till I moved out and was living on my own.

At least you have Katie. Some kids aren't even lucky enough to have 'a' dog, let alone two.
:)

Amber
10-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Yes, Im very very grateful to have Katie in my life. I feel bad for others who dont get to share the love of a dog.

Psst..Wolfsoul, Im still doing alot of research on a breed. But Im leaning towards the pug! Because they really relate to my family and sound like a fit. :) and if my family would let me get one it would be a female with a white/cream bodie and a black face!
OR the good old classic Mutt from the pound!

Karen
10-17-2003, 04:32 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is what would happen when you go to college - who would take care of it then, most dorms do not allow dogs, etc.? A dog is not only a responsibility, but a long-term commitment, so you have to really prove you've thougfht things out for years ahead!

Amber
10-17-2003, 04:57 PM
Thankyou Karen for that tip!!

GoldenRetrLuver
10-17-2003, 06:39 PM
I know how you feel...I took me 2 YEARS before we got Molly.

I did odd jobs around the house (cleaning, making beds, doing dishes, sweeping, etc..), took care of all the pets, AND had to get excellent grades in school. When I did all that, my parents thought I was ready. Getting Daisy was a little easier, because we thought Molly needed a friend to play with while we were gone. This possible new addition took FOREVER to convince; but we finnaly came up with a plan (get good grades in school, I'll get it.)

It will take some time. But it's well worth waiting for. My advice to you is just lay off the subject for a few months, get good grades in school and then ask your parents again. And if you never get that other dog, be happy with what you have! :)

Amber
10-17-2003, 07:35 PM
Thanks Julie!!

Rio and Me
10-18-2003, 03:50 AM
We've always had dogs at home but i never had one of my very own till i started work at a boarding kennel (which took in strays as well) then after looking after other peoples dogs i relised how much i wanted my own! so ever time a stay came in i would beg mum for it, it was allways a "NO" straight up,
her excuse was allways "we have a dog" and you have enough pets, it was never that i wasnt responsible as i had 6 horses at that time and i was the only one looking after them in all weather!
but i want my very own dog to come every where with me (i scared of the dark baddly,lol).
i used to sulk when i was younger (15) if i ask for a dog and the answer was no! but when Rio came in (after i took home Charlie , a huge GSD how was perfect in every but not for us! hes now rehome with a sutable family) i didnt sulk (i had grown up) and she said no then changed her mind when Rio's(she was a puppy) time was up, now Rio does come every where with me and mums never doubted that i would never get bored of her!!!
it does take time but as i learned DONT sulk as i shows ur still a child!
good luck
Happy Ky and lucky Rio

belle67
10-18-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by ramanth
Not to be a downer....but...some parents just won't cave. I never got to have a dog when I was living at home, no matter how many times I begged, pleaded, or made promises.

I didn't get Kia till I moved out and was living on my own.

At least you have Katie. Some kids aren't even lucky enough to have 'a' dog, let alone two.
:)

Same here.
I begged and pleaded for years for me and my sister to get a dog. Mom and dad never caved in. :)
I have been on my own for 6 years now it I got my dream dog 2 months ago. I wanted one much sooner but I felt I wasn't ready for the commitment... financially or emtionally.
In time you will get the perfect dog that you want. But remember how lucky to have one now! :)