PDA

View Full Version : Purina cat chow..

Amber
10-17-2003, 05:48 AM
When Maggie was a kitten we fed her Iams Kitten food. Well, I heard that Iams isnt a good brand (?) So we got Maggie some Purina cat chow. Is that brand better? What do you feed your cats?

jenluckenbach
10-17-2003, 05:52 AM
I chose Nutro Natural Choice to feed my foster kittens, but I also fed Purina Kitten Chow.

Amber
10-17-2003, 06:08 AM
Thanks!!

amoore
10-17-2003, 09:26 AM
amber i know there is many good brands of cat food to feed your cat . i feed my cats meow mix hair ball control . they seem to do well on that brand . i feed my 9 year old schnauzer purina fit and trim ,because she had some bad health problems with the regular type of foods . i feed my 4 month old chihuahua iams puppy food .:)

uschka
10-17-2003, 09:37 AM
I feed my little stray Angel Iams kitten food. I stopped using all Purina brands when Proctor and Gamble bought Purina.

I feed my adult cat Wellness, which is wonderful - no by-products and all natural. Innova and Wysong are also superior brands of cat food. Roxxi, my older cat gets bored with any food after a while and I have to find something new. The latest brand I bought is Evolve.

Be sure you change over very gradually when introducing a different brand of food.

Good luck...

catmandu
10-17-2003, 09:43 AM
My cats are fed whatever Brand whas the Best promos! With 13 Cats , I have to improvise. But I stick to Iams , science Diet , Pro Plan Advanced or Nutro Max complete. And occasionally Cat Chow Adavnced.

Amber
10-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Thanks! I have another question (sorry for all these questions, Im new to raising a cat) Maggie is about 12 in a half months old now. Her B-d is Oct. 29. Right now she is eating Purina kitten chow. Should she be now eating adult? since she is so cole to her first birthday? or is it ok until she is exactly 1yr old??

RedHedd
10-17-2003, 10:53 AM
Isn't Maggie the Maine Coon? She's almost a year old; I'm not a professional but one would think she's ready for regular adult food. No animal by-products for my two either. They're on PetGold regular for the Big Boy Mishi; and the hairball control light formula for my not-so-light hairball, Mitzi. :) HTH

Logan
10-17-2003, 11:00 AM
I stopped using all Purina brands when Proctor and Gamble bought Purina.

I was unaware that Proctor and Gamble had bought Purina. But they do own Iams and many folks refuse to use Iams for that reason.

I think either are ok, frankly. My vet has always contended that Purina does more research on pet food than any other company and that is the brand he uses for his own pets. My Mimi, who is 14, and very, very small, ate Purina Kitten Chow for years and thrived. She and Butter now eat Flint River Ranch because Butter was having some skin issues on a Purina product (Pro Plan), and it was suggested that I try a food that didn't have any fish in it. His problems have cleared up completely, so I'm sticking with what works.

Randi
10-17-2003, 11:24 AM
I feed Fister Hills C/D now. If he puts on too much weight, I change to W/D for a while, he's not as keen on that, as it has not much fat and therefore don't taste as good.

The first year we had him, we fed him mostly Whiskas wet food and Pussi (Felix) - the gele types. He had dry from Royal Canine - he loved that!

tomkatzid
10-17-2003, 11:31 AM
For 19 years Leroy ate Purina and Friskies. Kelcee ate IAMS till she went on prescription food. Leroy was a lot healthier than Kelcee, but cats are different just like people. But sometimes I do wonder if there is a difference. In case there really is I want Kelcee to have a premium food, but now she has to watch her self because of her kidneys.

10-17-2003, 01:32 PM
Your cat is ready for the adult catfood!
I feed both my cats Hills's food. It is more expensive, but very well "outbalanced"! My vet says it is the only really good food on the market!

NoahsMommy
10-17-2003, 02:30 PM
Noah, Noel and Basie get Royal Canin Indoor

Hermione gets Royal Canin Kitten

Olivia is on Nutro Lite wet (although I'll be switching her to Innova Lite wet soon)

Micah is on his raw diet (chicken + suppliments)

Phoebe and Emma get Royal Canin Baby Cat and Nutro Kitten wet

I did a lot of research and found these foods (Royal Canin and Innova) to be the best available to me for my fuzzies.

nodgeness
10-17-2003, 09:19 PM
Mine eat the Purina Indoor cat chow & Purina 1 (salmon flavor)
They love it cause it's little. I did try Iams but neither one of them liked it.
What's the story on Proctor & Gamble? I must be out of date!

babolaypo65
10-17-2003, 09:46 PM
Purina is the ONLY thing clive will eat.

wolfsoul
10-17-2003, 09:56 PM
I don't like any of the Purina foods, no offense. :) I just switched Sara to (I believe it's called...I threw away the bag) Go Natural. It doesn't have any corn, the first two ingredients are meat, it only has natural preservatives, and it's sources of carbohydrates come from good sources, like apples. It also has potatoes for starch.

Just keep in mind that the best food won't have any corn (I see that most people here use brands with corn in it, which isn't that bad, just make sure it isn't one of the main ingredients), will have meat in the first 2-3 ingredients, will have a high amount of ash (bags usually say "Low ash" to get you to believe that ash is a bad thing. Actually, the more ash, the better the quality of meat), won't have any chemical preservatives (A few aren't that bad, just stay away from ethoxyquin, bht/bht, pentobarbital etc).

What's the story on Proctor & Gamble? I must be out of date!
They do testing on animals. :(

shais_mom
10-17-2003, 11:39 PM
I have Kylie on Royal Canin Slim mixed in with the Hair and Coat right now, but when she finishes that I hope to switch her to Science Diet Hairball lite.
Hope she does ok on it

tomkatzid
10-18-2003, 12:17 PM
Just keep in mind that the best food won't have any corn (I see that most people here use brands with corn in it, which isn't that bad, just make sure it isn't one of the main ingredients), will have meat in the first 2-3 ingredients, will have a high amount of ash (bags usually say "Low ash" to get you to believe that ash is a bad thing. Actually, the more ash, the better the quality of meat), won't have any chemical preservatives (A few aren't that bad, just stay away from ethoxyquin, bht/bht, pentobarbital etc).
[/B]

I agree totally, NO CORN in the main ingred. That goes for dog food too.
I mixed Wellness with Kelcee's presc. food but now will go to all Waltham presc. Wellness is all human grade food. And excelent brand too. Kelcee needs low protien because of her kidneys, and Wellness was only 1 point higher than Waltham.

nodgeness
10-18-2003, 07:05 PM
Why no corn? Sorry trying to get some good ideas to try new foods.