PDA

View Full Version : Sick again

aly
06-07-2001, 08:09 AM
Reece is showing the signs of a blockage but he didn't eat anything weird to my knowledge. Yesterday when I got home, he had dirrhea pukey looking stuff in his crate (not sure what it was). I took him out dozens of times all evening and night and he always tried but was never able to go to the bathroom. He was a little far from me so I thought maybe I just didn't see it. I realized he probably hadn't gone though because this morning he acted like he really had to go and he was straining so hard he yelped and then threw up yellow stuff. Our vet is only doing surgeries this morning and the emergency place closed at 7am so we have to wait until the afternoon. The receptionist told me it didn't sound like an emergency although I think it is. I just can't wait until the appointment so he can get taken care of. He worries me to death because I don't know what I'd do without him.

Stenograsaurus
06-07-2001, 08:31 AM
Oh, Aly, I'll be thinking of little Reece today and praying everything will be okay. It's frustrating when you have a little sick one and you're told to wait. Keep us posted.

Logan
06-07-2001, 08:49 AM
Oh Aly! I am so sorry. I think it is time to get to the bottom of Reese's problem though! I hope your vet will be very proactive, and get that precious boy fixed up for once and for all. Something isn't right, obviously! My thoughts are with you today. Please let us know as soon as you can.

Logan

Pam
06-07-2001, 09:14 AM
Aly...You have me worried again. Poor little Reece. I can't stand to hear that he's sick again. I wouldn't be able to stand the waiting either. Let us know as soon as you can. Bella and I are sending up lots of prayers for your sweetie!

jackiesdaisy1935
06-07-2001, 09:26 AM
Aly I hope they find what is wrong with Reese today, they need to get to the bottom of the problem. Will be thinking of him today and anxiously waiting to see how he is doing.

------------------
http://clipartpage.homestead.com/files/blkschnauzer.gif
http://clipartpage.homestead.com/files/schnauzer.gif

Sudilar
06-07-2001, 09:56 AM
Oh, I hope Reece is ok. Let us know as soon as you hear anything. The poor baby! My thoughts are with you and Reece!!

------------------
http://swt.edu/~aw1024/adopt12.gif

karen israel
06-07-2001, 10:31 AM
Poor, sweet pup! The waiting is horrible! I hope he's ok...let us know ASAP!! Will be thinking of both of you all day!

aly
06-07-2001, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the prayers. I'm pulling out my hair here. I'm skipping school and the shelter today so I can stay with him all day. Reece, Julius and I all got a nap in on the couch. I'm trying to keep him calm and happy. He doesn't really seem to want to do much but sleep anyway. He is acting okay though I guess. Hopefully if the vet says he's okay, we'll pick up his dachshund friend and go to the park.

Rottie
06-07-2001, 01:17 PM
Poor little Reece!!! I can't imagine not being able to take him to the vet NOW! Get well soon Reece! And stay well, please! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

06-07-2001, 02:23 PM
Aly,

I just logged into this topic. How is Reece? Please let us know as soon as you can.

Tanya

aly
06-07-2001, 02:43 PM
Appointment is in 45 minutes. He's been sleeping all day. He is more active at night usually anyway so its hard for me to tell how bad he feels. I am praying there is no blockage.

Sudilar
06-07-2001, 04:11 PM
Good luck!

aly
06-07-2001, 04:52 PM
Well we're back. Reece isn't running a temperature and his stomach feels fine. I have some laxative stuff to give him that should help. If he throws up anymore and doesn't eat, he'll have an x-ray tomorrow.

I had them check out some other things that I was going to take Reece in for on Saturday and he's got a lot of other problems. They are all minor but extremely annoying to him I'm sure. His anal glands were full AGAIN! This is the third time in three months they've had to be emptied. The vet couldn't tell me why they keep getting full and I'm getting frusterated about it. I might seek a second opinion to see what can be done. The vet also recommended to me to switch to Science Diet (which I hate!). Reece is on Sensible Choice right now which is excellent for dogs with sensitive stomachs. He also has another yeast infection in his ears and his tonsils are swollen.

I feel REALLY bad because I found a couple small kitty scratches on his.. ahem.. 'sensitive area'. I gotta teach Julius to play less rough.

The vet really didn't make me happy today at all. There are two vets in that office and I like the other one a lot better. I really hope I don't have to switch vets because I like all the techs and the office is new and clean. One of the techs is going to spread the word about Julius to people she knows who are looking for a cat. He needs to be adopted soon because I am WAY TOO attached. I cry every time I think about him leaving.

[This message has been edited by aly (edited June 07, 2001).]

Daisy's Mom
06-07-2001, 05:13 PM
I hope Reece will be okay! Poor little baby.

tatsxxx11
06-07-2001, 07:16 PM
Oh Aly! Just read all the posts. I hope little Reece is feeling better. As with human health care, and this is what I tell all my patients...If you don't have the confidence in your doctor (or vet) you think you should have, or if questions continually go unanswered or not to your satisfaction, you should get a second opinion. I had to switch vets a few years ago. The first one was only 3 houses down and great for those emergency times!!!! But he was so hard to talk to, didn't seem to have any real affection for my kids and misdiagnosed a major, to be fatal, condition. Please give Reece a hug. You are a terrific mom! I know you'll do what's best for the little boy. You're a very astute and caring person. Julius is so adorable. I know that will be a tough one! Let us know how Reece is tomorrow or if there's any change. Sandra

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited June 07, 2001).]

Pam
06-07-2001, 08:08 PM
Poor little Reece! I really did worry about him today. It seems to me that if he is having a problem with his tonsils being swollen that would indicate an infection. Maybe the infection is manifesting itself all through his poor little body and causing the tummy upset. I am not a vet obviously, and not even really very medically knowledgeable, but have had two kids and over the years tonsils and sore throats have been a problem at times. Maybe your vet is doing things OK really. I remember when Bella ate the wood chip my vet talked of x-raying her but felt it would be wiser to wait and see how she did in the meantime. He also felt it might not even show up in an x-ray. I agree that you have to have 100% confidence in your vet. There are two other vets where I go but I always make my appointment with my favorite. If an emergency arises and he's not there then I'd have to take my chances but on routine visits I am choosy. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

aly
06-08-2001, 01:00 AM
Reece is feeling better! He went to the bathroom tonight and ever since has been bouncing around with Julius. He also keeps asking me for treats.

Maybe it was a ploy to get me to stay home with him today http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif (just kidding) I'm so glad he's feeling better but I'm still going to watch him like a hawk.

The vet told me to stop giving him rawhide. He said there's a lot of digestive problems. Something like it goes through the stomach before its ingested? Wait, I forgot exactly what he said now... long day, sorry.

crow_noir
06-08-2001, 05:23 AM
wow! i'm glad he's doing better, but i'm still wishing you the best of luck!

Pam
06-08-2001, 06:00 AM
Yay!!! Glad to hear Reece is feeling better and asking for treats. I have heard the same thing about rawhide. Actually heard a PetsMart employee telling that to someone (that it doesn't digest properly). What is the vet planning to do to help him with his little tonsils?

AdoreMyDogs
06-08-2001, 06:44 AM
Oh Jeez....I read the post too late...I am so much hoping little Reece keeps getting better. He's such an angel and I love him just from the stuff you have written about him! He makes me want a poodle (along with all of the other lovely poodles) and I truly hope his tummy gets *and stays* better. Hugs and kisses to you, my little Reece buddy.

Stenograsaurus
06-08-2001, 08:42 AM
Glad to hear Reece is feeling better. I also heard bad things about rawhide before. It would be nice if that is what is causing the tummy to be upset and they stopped now. I hope Julius finds a home soon. You are a great "foster" mom, Aly.

06-08-2001, 08:49 AM
I'm so glad Reece is feeling better. I was so worried about him. Aly, is there any way you can keep Julius? Just curious!

aly
06-08-2001, 10:27 AM
I can't keep Julius because my cat, Shiloh, hates other cats. I've had him for 3 or 4 weeks now and she is still unhappy about his scent (they're always seperated) so I don't think it'd work out. I wish with all of my heart I could keep him because I love him so much. I hope I can find a home who will love him as much as I do. I'd keep him in a heartbeat but I would die if I made Shiloh miserable.

Pam, the vet said that since his anal glands are emptied, he should stop licking his hiney and that will help his tonsils. He said they were swollen either from him licking so much or from the yeast infection. I'm treating the yeast infection so hopefully his tonsils will get better from one or both of those things.

jackiesdaisy1935
06-08-2001, 11:22 AM
Poor Reese, I'm glad they found the problem, hopefully now he will be feeling a lot better. Take care of you all and get some rest.

------------------
http://clipartpage.homestead.com/files/blkschnauzer.gif
http://clipartpage.homestead.com/files/schnauzer.gif

sammi
06-08-2001, 12:48 PM
So happy that your Reece is better - bet his tummy feels much better. And No Aly, you can't go to Logans Friends place in Fl. and bring home those cats!! Your just too darn kind.

Sudilar
06-08-2001, 01:36 PM
Glad Reece is feeling better!

------------------
http://swt.edu/~aw1024/adopt12.gif

Daisy's Mom
06-08-2001, 09:00 PM
I am glad Reece is okay! Poor little baby. Kisses from me and Daisy Mae!

tatsxxx11
06-09-2001, 07:25 AM
You go little Reece! So glad to hear he's doing better! Hugs!!!

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1622062&a=12388318&p=48993438

Logan
06-09-2001, 10:59 AM
Aly,
Is Reece having a good day today? I have been so worried about that little fellow! Hope the tummy is all back to normal and that you won't have any more problems. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif
Logan

aly
06-09-2001, 03:26 PM
He's much better. I actually didnt even have to give him any of that laxative I bought him. My mom and her friend stayed with us last night so he's been busy showing off. He and his dachshund buddy will be going to the dog park this evening if it isn't crowded. I don't really like him running around with big dogs that I don't know. I just think he might get accidently stepped on or hurt. Anyway, he seems to be fully recovered and is back to his old self. I do have to do some research about these anal glands though. Seems ridiculous how often his have to get drained.

RachelJ
06-09-2001, 09:30 PM
I've been missing so many posts lately. Stuff like *work* keeps getting in the way of me keeping up on everything here. Actually, I'm kind of glad I missed this one because I would have been worried sick about Reece. He is such a little fella and I am such a neurotic when it comes to health problems. I'm so glad Reece has recovered. Since I missed saying prayers for him when he wasn't feeling well, I say some prayers of gratitude that he is OK.