PDA

View Full Version : low fat muffin recipes please......

carole
10-16-2003, 10:53 PM
I am a real fan of muffins, the low fat kind, I make these ones every week, from the weight-watchers magazine, they are delicious, easy to make and inexpensive, so I would like to share it with you, but also can anyone give me some more, as I would like a little variety in my weekly muffin bake , thanks.:) especially low fat chocolate muffins please.

upside down pineapple muffins

2 cups self-raising flour or plain flour and 2 tsp baking powder.

1/4 cup white or brown sugar, I use white.

1 cup crushed pineapple (drained of juice)

1 egg size 6 lightly beaten

3/4 cup trim milk, (non fat milk)

80 grms light margerine, reduced fat. MELTED.

Sift flour and add all other ingredients, bake at 200c for about 20 mins or until slighty golden, makes 12 , 2 and half points per muffin.

WARNING
DONOT make if you are feeling weak, you have to put them in the freezer and ration them out daily.

When still hot, spread a small amt of plum jam on top and a little crushed pineapple, should be some left over. You can use pineapple jam if you wish.

Hope you enjoy.

Kater
10-16-2003, 11:17 PM
Here are some yummy ones....
Apple Oat-Bran Muffins
Makes 12 muffins.

2 large green cooking apples (he suggests Granny Smith or Gravenstein, others ok)
2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 1/4 cups oat bran
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 12-ounce can apple juice concentrate
1 cup water

Heat oven to 325° F. Lightly oil muffin tin. Peel and core apples and chop coarsely. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, sift together pastry flour, white flour, oat bran, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Add thawed apple-juice concentrate, chopped apples, and enough water to make a light batter.

Mix just enough to moisten all ingredients. Divide batter among the muffin cups (makes 12) and bake till lightly browned, 25-30 minutes.

Remove muffins from cups while hot.

Craisin Corn Muffins

First mix together:
1 1/2 cup corn meal
1/2 cup all purpose flour, whole wheat preferred
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons dried lemon or orange zest or 1 tablespoon fresh
1/2 cup craisins (dried cranberries)

Then in a separate bowl combine:
1/2 cup applesauce
1 - 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, liquid included
1 cup orange juice

Blend the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring just enough to moisten evenly.

Pour into prepared muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 12 - 15 minutes.

Whole Wheat Apple Muffins
Makes 12 muffins.

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tbs. sugar (may use 1/4 cup for sweeter muffins)
3 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt (or less)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup applesauce
1 lg. apple or 2 small apples, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)

Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. Combine water and applesauce in another bowl. Add apple to dry ingredients and mix to coat apple. Add water mixture to dry ingredients. Mixture will be somewhat thick. Spoon mixture into non-stick muffin tins sprayed with vegetable oil spray. Bake at 425 deg. F. for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from muffin tin.

You can replace the cinnamon and apple with 1 1/2 cups blueberries for blueberry muffins.

Kater
10-16-2003, 11:29 PM
Ohhh, you wanted chocolate.... ;)
Mocha-Almond Muffins

Makes 10 / With a candle on top, these make a great birthday-morning mini-cake. For extra flavor and fiber, add a cup of grated carrots, mashed banana, or whole raspberries.

1-1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup strong coffee, lukewarm
1/3 cup brown-rice syrup or pure maple syrup
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1/2 cup slivered almonds
Powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare muffin tins with cooking spray or paper liners.

2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, mix coffee, syrup, oil, vinegar, and almond extract. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until completely blended.

3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins. Top with almonds. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the tops are raised and spring back when touched. Let cool for 10 minutes, remove from pan, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

carole
10-17-2003, 03:07 AM
Gee thanks Kater, i am going to try some of those, one question do you happen to know the calorie count per muffin at all? for each recipe, we have kilojules in NZ or killer jules as i prefer to call them lol, but I can convert them, if I have the fat content as well as calorie value.

Sorry lot to ask, but just hoping you can help, any recipes are fine, chocolate is my fav, but I am looking for any kind, for some variety.
Thanks again.
P.s is wheat flour the same as wholemeal flour? like the brown kinda flour? we have different names for things here.:)

Kater
10-17-2003, 02:28 PM
Mocha-Almond Muffins
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: (I think these are based on making the muffins with the optional chocolate chips, which I exclude from the recipe, so that fat should be lower than this...I *think*)
Calories: 186
Fat: 10
% fat calories: 46
Cholesterol: 0
Carbohydrate: 21
Protein: 5
Dietary Fiber: 3
Sodium: 130
1g saturated fat

I don't have nutrition information for the other recipes but just by looking at the ingredients (no amimal products) I can tell they are *very* low fat.

I think there would be no problem in using "wholemeal flour" --- the general idea is just to use something less refined and more whole grain than bleached, white flour.

carole
10-18-2003, 01:20 AM
Thanks kater, will try them out soon.:)