PDA

View Full Version : Saying Goodbye

Cheri
09-27-2000, 10:54 AM
Can anyone give me any information on when it's time to say "goodbye" to your pet? I have a friend who's got an older dog who's legs give out from under every once in awhile and he sometimes needs help getting back up when this happens. On the other hand, he's always happy and excited to see her when she comes home. She can't tell if he's in any kind of pain because he never whines or groans. Any suggestions?

dogncatluvr
09-27-2000, 12:26 PM
How about a trip to the vet first, if this hasn't been done, to see what is causing the hind legs to give out? Sometimes conditions can be treated with medication first, before thinking of "saying goodbye".

karen israel
09-27-2000, 01:51 PM
I agree-have her absolutely go to the vet first. I've heard dogs have a very high pain tolerance,so it's hard to tell. My dog had major knee surgury twice and never uttered a complaint, even when he couldn't get up and the tail still wagged

Cheri
09-27-2000, 02:13 PM
Thanks for your quick responses. She did take him to the vet and they have him on ibuprofen for arthritis in his spine, but his legs have been giving out on him and she wonders if that indicates it's time to let him go.

dogncatluvr
09-27-2000, 04:53 PM
Cheri,

More questions. How old is the dog, and what type is it?
My older Lab (9 y.o.) is on Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate for her arthritis. It helps most of the time. A change in weather and she will still limp a bit. Then I will give her a coated asperin. (Tylenol (acetaminophen) is not good for dogs.)
We have had to say goodbye to a number of dogs, most because they had cancer. It was always very hard to do.

Kim
09-28-2000, 07:39 AM
My dog is now between 13 and 15 years old and about 3 years ago had the same symptoms. It was so sad, she could not even stand to eat or potty! I thought it was time to say goodbye and took her to the vet crying because I thought I knew what he was gonna say. Boy was I wrong! He gave her a steroid shot and put her on tri buffered aspirin for the arthritis in her back and she has been fine ever since! Now when she starts moving slow, which is not very often, she goes on aspirin for a few days and is better! It is amazing. She is still such a joy, and still has many "puppy" aspects about her. (Thanks Doctor Jon! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif Buffy loves you and so do I!)

Cheri
09-28-2000, 03:58 PM
Hello dogncatluvr and Kim. She believes Chip is somewhere around 17-20 years old, and is probably a terrier-chihuahua mix. He weighs 16 pounds. (She found him as a stray about 10 years ago). She is going to ask the vet about the medications you both mentioned, as well as the steroid shot. Hopefully, this will help and he can have some more good years. Thanks for help!

RachelJ
09-29-2000, 10:55 AM
This is the hardest decision one ever has to make. When my Bailey was 14, my Vet said it "was time" due to a tumor that had been growing on her face and the problems it had been causing. I wasn't so sure because she still ate well and had a bounce in her step, but I could tell she was in pain. We went back and forth with what to do, and I cried and cried, and cried. We finally decided to end her pain and were going to take her to the vet when my husband got home from work that day; however, that very morning (of the day) she went into a seizure which didn't stop. As soon as the Vet's office opened, I carried her in. It was almost as if she made the decision herself so I wouldn't have to question it. My "dog of a lifetime" remained that to the very end.

dogncatluvr
09-29-2000, 12:24 PM
Cheri,

17 - 20 is very old for even a small dog. I would at least talk to the vet about the medications mentioned above and see what he/she has to say. I think it is worth a try anyways.

dragondawg
08-07-2005, 01:53 PM
She did take him to the vet and they have him on ibuprofen for arthritis

Strange that a doggy NSAID wasn't prescribed. If ibuprofen then a fish oil gel cap once a day will help protect the kidneys. Most likely the dog has some spinal degeneration that is occaisonally pinching a nerve. Periodic Prednisone treatments may help.

In general I've always believed that if the dog has a good quality of life, and most important seems happy and content then it's not time to say goodbye.

Becki
08-07-2005, 08:29 PM
We currently have a dog with a terminal condition. We know the end is coming. For us, we are monitoring his "good days" and his "bad days". Right now, his good days are still significantly ahead of his bad days.

Also, we made a list of his three favorite things to do over his lifetime. When he is no longer able to do two of them, and his bad days outnumber his good days, we will help him to the Bridge.

His condition is dementia. It isn't really anything you can put your finger on and it is hard to evaluate when to let him go when he isn't in any real obvious pain. Those lists will give us a concrete way to measure his behavior and feelings in order to make the right decision for him.

jesse_3
08-07-2005, 10:42 PM
My aunts dog Checkers really needs help to the RB. He can barely walk, much less stand or get up after sitting or lying down. SHe doesn't know how to say good-bye, and if she doesn't do this before winter, he will pass on:(

If the vets don't tell you it is time, then I think that it is all right! I would really watch for signs of pain, or if the dog gets peg-legged...

Good Luck!-Steph and Jes

K9karen
08-11-2005, 11:32 PM
I'm surprised the vet didn't give Rimydal or recommend a buffered aspirin. My Lab/ GR, Cody, never ever yelped or groaned either. Even when he had some surgeries or in his last days. But to answer your question, the same one I always asked my vet, is "you'll know". Yeah, right, I thought. Like I'm going to be able to make the decision to euthanize my beloved Cody. Well, just like Rachel, said, he was the one who told me it was time. And as selfishly as I wanted to keep him in my life forever, I obeyed his wishes. All I can say without going into the sad details, is that they make it very clear and you won't be making a mistake. I know that he's happy and healthy at RB and he IS always with me.

AllAmericanPUP
08-12-2005, 12:15 AM
IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

--- Anonymous ---

Smilla
08-14-2005, 08:08 AM
That's a nice poem. I hadn't seen that before. Thanks for sharing it.

Vette
08-16-2005, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by jesse_3
My aunts dog Checkers really needs help to the RB. He can barely walk, much less stand or get up after sitting or lying down. :(

Thats what happend with my 9 or 10 year old girl Muffin. she yelped when ever she sat down or got up(if she could) and her legs too would all of a sudden give out from underneath her. and she would whimper everytime and it was just really sad and disheartning to see and hear. she would even droop her head when she knew she would have to get up and move around.

in my head i knew it was time to let her go,, but my heart was saying something different.

its definitly never easy. i wish your friend the very best of luck.

solares412
08-19-2005, 09:16 PM
I remember reading in a book called the Last Chance Dog(Donna Kelleher,DVM) about a German Shepherd who had the degenerative mylopathy and the worst case of arthritis she'd ever seen. The dog was dragging his baack legs behind him and had to be carried all over. What was the quality of life for this dog? Should they have put him down? Well, they didn't. Dr. Kelleher gave the dog five acupuncture treatments ( www.ivas.org) , cut back on the meat but made it of high- grade ( not commercial pet food) because meat adds purines to the joints and makes them stiff. She added glucosamine , chondroitin. In five treatments the dog was running around. So I guess, when a pet seems beyond hope, is he or she really beyond hope or is there something missing that the pet needs and it's up to the caring and concerned owner and vet to find out what the missing thing is.