PDA

View Full Version : Itchy dog

babs871
09-23-2000, 07:02 PM
Help! My 9 year old cocker female mix won't stop scratching her back side. She did have fleas a couple of weeks ago, I gave her a bath, but she still itches!! She is rubbing herself raw, and I can tell she is in pain with the sores. Could she be allergic to the flea bites, and if so, how should I treat her? Thanks for any help!!

teena
09-25-2000, 08:15 AM
How often does she get bathed? Sometimes if they get bathed too often, the soap dries out their skin & makes them itch. Also, if all the soap didn't get rinsed out, that can irritate their skin.

RachelJ
09-26-2000, 08:43 AM
Fleas are not just a one step process to conquer; however, there could be a lot of reasons for her problems. I think a trip to the Vet is warranted.

babs871
09-26-2000, 06:15 PM
I bathe her about once every two weeks...I think I'll try bombing the house...the other dog doesn't seem to have any. Thanks for your help!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

carrie
10-11-2000, 06:17 PM
Hi,
Please look at my reply to inter digital cysts and also try rinsing your dog with clear water as a first step (garlic and brewers yeast especially along with Epsom salts for sore bits). Then buy lots of lemons- at night cut up 1 lemon and put in 1 pint of almost boiling water, pips, skin and all and leave this overnight. Make as much as it will take to wet your dog all over. Before feeding time pour this onto the dogs skin, not just on the coat, rub it in and try to amuse the dog for 5 minutes, then feed and dry the dog. You can do this twice a day and I garuntee it will help. Don't stop treating bedding and carpets etc. Again it's not an overnight cure but stick with it, a raw egg a week will boost useful protein levels and aid healing too.

Mayissa
11-05-2000, 04:58 AM
A little bit of tea tree oil did WONDERS for my foxie terrior x.It heals sores, wounds etc. I emphasies "little" because it has a strong smell. Just dab it over the infected areas with cotton wool and also put a drop or 2 in the bath.BUT - the itching sounds severe with your dog so the dog doctor needs to visit

Doxiedoxie
11-06-2000, 07:14 AM
A flea bath only kills the fleas on her coat, then you rinse off the stuff. So a few days later, the fleas lurking outside or in your carpet hop back on. Definately visit your vet to see if there is an allergy, this is quite common, but also for more recommendations on flea control. I swear by Top Spot by Frontline myself. Hope she's feeling better soon, it's miserable to itch!