PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Macy!!!!!

Sara luvs her Tinky
10-16-2003, 06:00 AM
Well we tried to get her in the garage last night but... she is not stupid... she knew something weird was going on.

We opened the garage door and put her food in close to the outside and she would come right to the edge and look in.... but Eric got up and that scared her... so..

I really need some advice on how I can get her in there. She does not like to be picked up...

HELP....

ANOTHER THING....

I feel like I am really getting in too deep over my head. I LOVE MACY SO MUCH... and I don't know what I am going to do if something happens to her. I don't even know how I could give the kittens up when they are ready.... I don't think I am made to be a foster mom...

I was up so late last night crying.... cause I couldn't get Macy in the stupid garage... then I remembered how hard it was to give Jupiter back to my sister that one time... and I KNEW he was goign to a good home and I could visit him..

I am sad.. I need help :( :(

jenluckenbach
10-16-2003, 06:12 AM
I am NO expert on "trapping", it is not something I do. But if it were me, I would put Macy's feeding station as close to the garage door as she will let you that she will still eat from it. And then each time you fill it, move it closer and closer to the door. Then it will not seem so strange to go near that door (open OR closed).
As far as fostering, yes, it is hard but it is also VERY rewarding. Only you can decide IF it is for you or not, but keep in mind what the outcome would be if no one bothered. I cry a little each time I take the babies to adoption days because it may be the last time I ever see them. But the joy they gave me is a wonderful feeling and knowing that if I were not there for them they may not even have their precious little lives.

Sara luvs her Tinky
10-16-2003, 06:40 AM
Only you can decide IF it is for you or not, but keep in mind what the outcome would be if no one bothered. I cry a little each time I take the babies to adoption days because it may be the last time I ever see them.

Right now I am bombarding everyone I know that will give them a GOOD FOREVER home to see if they want a kitten... casue I would loooooove to be able to visit with them and watch them grow up... I am praying that she only has one or two... BUT.. if it comes down to it.. there will be a serious screening process for the potential adoptees.!!!:eek:

Where do you take yours to adopt them out?

thanks for the advice!.... we are moving her food a little at a time closer to the garage... hopefully it will work!!:)

moosmom
10-16-2003, 07:03 AM
Sara,

I know how difficult it is. What you need to do is get a trap from your local pet shelter. Make SURE it has 2 doors. One is the trap end, the other is a lock door you can open and close to feed her. I think that is going to be the only way you can get her, unless you try putting some nasty smelling sardines in a very large carrier with a trail of juice and lumps of sardines leading to it. When she goes in, close the door. Or get a trap. The trap is the best route. If she's hungry enough, she'll go in.

Keep us posted and hang in there!

catlover4ever
10-16-2003, 07:22 AM
Sara, have you tried leaving the garage door open all the time. "Curisoity killed the cat and satisfaction brough him back"

If you can leave the door open she may go into the garage to look around and then she maybe would be more open minded to going inside OR could you spend some time out in the garage and talk softly to her so that maybe she would follow you into the garage and be less scared that way.

I know that with my Tucker, she was scared to death to come in the house. What I did was give her an oversized dog house filled with hay, blankets and on cold fall and winter nights I would place 3 hot water bottles under the layers of blankets and that kept her nice and toasty. I would sit by my sliding glass door with Tuck's food and talk to her in a soothing voice and eventually she would come into eat and then run back outside, then she progressed to taking naps on the kitchen floor....now she thinks she rules the house, just because she is the Senior Citizen.

I hope this helps. Good luck and keep up the good work, you are doing a wonderful job. Don't think otherwise.

Meg

catmandu
10-16-2003, 09:58 AM
The only way , really is to be patient and let her come to you. Otherwse you might scare her off. And Good Luck from all of Us at The Lost Cats Hotel!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-16-2003, 10:11 AM
This may not be the best way, and probably isn't the best way for a pregnant mommy cat, but obviously she likes pets. So if time becomes short, and you still haven't gotten her, you might try getting some big gloves, wearing a heavy coat, and when you're pettiing her - near the garage - just have Eric grab her and hang on to her long enough to get the garage door closed. It might be realy hard 'cause you don't want to hurt her or the babies, and she might be traumitized, but if it's just long enough to get the garage door closed....

Or maybe have a big box on hand that you can close the top of. You pet her and distract her, and have Eric just pick her up and put her in the box - gently. It should be all over be she even knows what's going on. This might actually be a better idea than waiting for the garage door to be closed because I would think she'd be wiggly while he held her and that might hurt her or the babies. Just a quick pick and drop sort of thing could work. But make sure he's completely covered - and you back away as soon as possible so you don't get scratched either.

And if you just remember from the very beginning that these aren't your babies, they are going to someone else's home, that might help you to not get so attached - although for me it wouldn't work very well. I'm like you and would want to keep all of them. But if you give them all up, the next time a pregnant stray comes around, you'll have the capacity to help her without overburdening yourself cat wise.

Do a search on Petfinder.com to find some local rescues in your area. I know there were a few around here that were strictly foster rescue organizations. They handle most of the paperwork and stuff, and all you need to do is bring them to a PetSmart or PetCo on adoption days.

Good luck and I can't wait for pics of the new babies!!! Oh, and Macy is beautiful! And Big Daddy looks like such a cool cat! :D