PDA

View Full Version : Probably didn't make "friends" on my new job tonight!

kimlovescats
10-16-2003, 01:20 AM
Oh well.... I am nearly through my second week on the new job. A couple of people.... loud mouth "know it all" woman and a man were discussing cats ... particularly feral ones. I had to jump into the conversation and share that I do cat rescue, and have taken in a few ferals as well.

Miss "know it all" stated that you couldn't really do anything with ferals to make them tame it depends on...blah, blah blah...... and I replied (in a very confident and FIRM voice)
"Oh yes you can .... it depends on how much you know about cats, and how much you love them .... that's ALL it depends on!!!"
I then turned back around in my chair and said no more. I guess I was particularly edgie tonight after losing Autumn this morning.

Needless to say the conversation ended there! I doubt the topic will come up again.

Miss Meow
10-16-2003, 01:25 AM
At least she won't be spouting off at the mouth in front of you again :) If she bitches to your other co-workers, they'll have the common sense to see that you know what you're talking about.

I didn't realise you had to work today, sorry you couldn't have some quiet time after this morning :(

stacwase
10-16-2003, 08:01 AM
Why do people like her even exist? I always say people like that are just "converters". They exist to convert oxygen to CO2 and food to sh_t.

sqwelch
10-16-2003, 08:17 AM
My 2 were ferals and I had never had a cat in my entire life ( sorry I'll rephrase that ' I've never been owned by a cat in my life').
It took time and a lot of patience but it certainly paid off in the end. Jock my RB baby was one of the most affectionate cats I think I'm ever likely to meet and his sister Bonnie still loves to cuddle up on a cold winters night, although she's not to keen on being lifted.
Shows you just how much Miss Know it all knows after all !!!:) :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
10-16-2003, 09:18 AM
Some people are so hard headed.

When I was little my "drunk" dad saw a cat and her kittens walking through our yard and decided to catch me and my sister a kitten. Well... it tore my dad to pieces and my mom wrapped it up in a shirt to take it to the vet to make sure it didn't have rabies or anything...

to make a long story short... Tiger lived a happy life with us!:)

Hey even Fister was a feral at one point... and look at him now... that lady is CONFUSED!!

catmandu
10-16-2003, 09:45 AM
with love and kindness , there is not a feral animal that cannot be helped , unless the Stray has really suffered at the hands of cruel people. And I had that problem where i used to work , with idiots talking about cats smothering babies! Fools ! Cretins! Baaah!

gini
10-16-2003, 10:23 AM
I am hoping that Miss Know It All went home and thought about what you had to say.

Maybe, just maybe, through your experience you have been able to teach her something new.

Patience and love, what a concept. But that is what it takes and it ultimately works and results in hard earned trust.

K & L
10-16-2003, 11:03 AM
Welcome to the cruel work world! You should hear what I go through here, since I work with all men, and a majority of them are hunters. I try and tune out, but sometimes it's not easy.

shais_mom
10-16-2003, 02:38 PM
I think you did the right thing!!!
I say YOU GO GIRL!!!

BastetsMum
10-16-2003, 03:51 PM
When I tell people I have a cat they usually get angry stating I am irresponsible and what about our wildlife. When I tell them she is an indoors cat they get angry stating that she should be allowed to roam. Some people.

moosmom
10-16-2003, 07:15 PM
Kim,

Don't feel bad. I made an enemy at my part-time job the other night too. This woman was talking about her three cats BRAGGING about how all 3 are declawed both front and back because "They're all indoor cats" :eek: I got a serious "tude" and asked her WHY she was bragging about it. I went into my shpeel about how painful it is, etc. I might as well have talked to the wall. I didn't DARE ask her if they were fixed.

Stupid, stupid people, I SWEAR!!!!! :mad:

carole
10-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Why people who DON'T know what they are talking about just don't keep their mouths SHUT i will never know, it's obvious she knows nothing about feral cats,SOME PEOPLE eh!!! Good on you Kim, you tell her girl, you TELL HER!!!!!!!!

NoahsMommy
10-16-2003, 09:24 PM
oooh, ooh, ooooh, I have one!!! ;)

At least three weeks ago, I was trying to find an alternative to clay litter for the kittens (smell) and I went into a local pet shop. I was telling the girl that I had my four fosters and she told me she'd go ask the owner if I could set up a cage there during the day to help find homes for them. I was delighted!

She came back and said, "I'm sorry, he said that wild cats always have feral in them and no one wants them." IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told her, "Nope, that's not true, of my six at home, four were feral rescues and those happen to be my most loving!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Needless to say the conversation ended there! I doubt the topic will come up again.

Good for you Kim! And by replying in a confident firm tone, you let her know that you do know what you're talking about and you should be listened to. Also, it might just have conveyed that you were trying to teach her something, even though she already knew it all. :rolleyes: Educating is the best way to get through to these people. They may not indicate what you said made any impact while you're still there, but I bet they stop and think about it afterwards and realize they may have been wrong.

Also, you let them know that you are in rescue, you do know what you're talking about, and I bet before long they come to you asking you questions about cats, etc.

captain
10-16-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by stacwase
Why do people like her even exist? I always say people like that are just "converters". They exist to convert oxygen to CO2 and food to sh_t.

Love that!!!!!

You know, if I don't actually know something, I will not comment .......... perhaps that lady should learn from that.
YOU did the right thing!!!

BAH - who needs new friends - you have US!!!! :D

rg_girlca
10-16-2003, 11:43 PM
Good for you Kim. A job well done. Kept your cool and addressed her in a calm way.

You ever notice with a "Know It All', that the minute you say something constructive back to them, instead of saying stuff like,"Oh really, is that right" that they don't have an answer back.
Why is that? Cause they don't know it all, afterall.

krazyaboutkatz
10-16-2003, 11:54 PM
Way to go Kim!:) I've been through this too. When I told a woman at work that I was adopting a cat that had feral parents, she said that he'd always be wild and wouldn't be a friendly cat. Well she was very wrong. That cat is Cirrus and he greets me every day and comes running to me for pets and also loves me to brush him. I let her know how he was doing and she really didn't know what to say.

nodgeness
10-17-2003, 09:31 PM
Some people will never understand.
Everyone in here knows the saying...........
You can't argue w/ an idiot!!!!
Oops did I just type that. :D Kim way to go, you made your point & I'm sure she heard it. You never know, you may have gotten thru to her & she just doesn't want to admit it!

IttyBittyKitty
10-17-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by stacwase

ROTF!!!!! That's priceless, but unfortunately that applies to many of my co-workers too ....

Kim, I too hate the "know it alls," they are irritating beyond all sense. But, only people like you can truly know the joy of coaxing a timid feral cat to open its little heart and love a human :D

kimlovescats
10-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Thank, everyone .... you all are THE BEST friends anyone could hope for!!!!:D