PDA

View Full Version : Conversation overheard at the vet's

Pam
10-15-2003, 11:22 PM
I was at the vet's office yesterday picking up Trevor's special kitty food when I overheard two vet techs talking. It seems that a woman with a terminally ill cat had just called in. The woman wanted a prescription for a narcotic for her cat to administer to her in her own home to put her cat out of misery. She didn't want to bring her into the vet's to be put to sleep in an *alien, sterile* environment. The one tech told the other tech that this would be totally illegal. Of course one can see the possibility for obtaining drugs illegally this way, but other than that do you see anything wrong with this? At first I thought the woman on the phone might be a little "off the wall" but as I pondered it on the way home I had some other thoughts. Perhaps she may be a little eccentric but probably no doubt loves her kitty very much. I'm not saying this would ever be my choice, but what do you think of this whole idea?

captain
10-15-2003, 11:29 PM
I would have to say I agree with the lady and her cat! ....... presuming there is something wrong with the kitty (terminally ill, etc.)

But of course, she would want to be totally certain that the "drugs" would work and not have to rush her kitty to the vet anyway ...

Twisterdog
10-15-2003, 11:39 PM
I personally think death ought to be looked upon much as life is for our pets. We ought to do what we can to make their deaths comfortable, secure and peaceful ... just as we try to make their lives that way.

I hate the thought of having to take my dogs to the vet to be euthanized, when and if that time comes. Fortunately, there is a vet here that will come to your home and euthanize your pet. That is definately what I will do if I ever have to have one of my dogs euthanized. It seems the least I can do, to allow them to die at home, secure and comfortable, with some dignity. That's really the best any of us can hope for in the end, isn't it?

I agree that a vet should never just send the drug home with the pet owner. Too much can go wrong, and too much potential for danger exists. But I feel strongly that vets ought to make house calls for euthanasia.

Uabassoon
10-15-2003, 11:40 PM
I kind of agree with the lady, however I'm not sure that I would be able to do it myself. But if it were possible for a vet to come to my house and do it I would much prefer that. I think it would be much more comfortable and easier on the cat.

Cheshirekatt
10-15-2003, 11:50 PM
I worked as a vet tech for 5 years and any of our clients that we had a good relationship with had the option of having the vet come to their house for the euthanasia.

There was an extra charge for that, but no one ever complained.

CathyBogart
10-16-2003, 02:11 AM
Most vets do house calls, as Cheshire said, for a small extra charge. This would be the appropriate solution in the situation I think.

curiosityrats
10-16-2003, 03:25 AM
Of course, certain substances should only be handled by lisenced vets (otherwise "peaceful release" can be uncertain or actually quite painful...). Some people do feel the same way this lady does about euthanisia being done at their homes. Many vets will do housecalls for this sort of thing.

This article has a section on "home euthanasia" (done by a vet).

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/euthanasia.htm

All pet owners want their pet's last moments to be as comfortable as possible and as stress free for themselves and their pet as the situation can be. The natural question is "Can the veterinarian come to our home to administer the euthanasia solution?" The answer is Yes. However, there are a number of things for you to consider.
There are veterinarians who have made it a policy never to euthanize a pet outside of the animal hospital setting. They have some very good reasons for this policy. However, if you must have your pet euthanized at home, don't be reluctant to make some phone calls and you will be able to find a veterinarian who will accommodate your wishes.

Tonya
10-16-2003, 07:37 AM
I agree with the lady. When I put my childhood dog Christy asleep, and then again when I put Rosco down, I hated it. They were confused because they were going to the vet. They had no idea what was going on.

It would have been much better if they passed away on my lap in their own home. They would have thought that they were just falling asleep.

stacwase
10-16-2003, 08:09 AM
That's an option which I wish was available for animals and people alike. I'm a nurse - so I see so many people who are brought in to the hospital by their families during their final hours, because the families don't have the necessary medications at home to make the death peaceful and comfortable. But it's not peaceful or comfortable to be at the hospital during death either - it's a sterile, unfamiliar environment and it's noisy.

It's too bad that there are people out there who would abuse the drugs. They spoil the possibilities for everybody else.

2kitties
10-16-2003, 09:45 AM
A friend's kitty (22 years old) crossed the bridge this year. Her vet came to her home to administer the drugs. I think the vet could make some exception house calls, but I do not believe the drugs should be prescribed. It opens too many doors for less responsible pet owners.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-16-2003, 09:56 AM
I also agree with the lady, somewhat. I'm not sure it should be done by her, but like others have mentioned, by having the vet come to her home.

I have every intention of doing just this if/when it comes time for T & P. Tubby doesn't mind going to the vet, but Peanut is terrified, and I can't see putting her through the car ride, waiting to be called, being torn from the safety of her carrier - just to be PTS. Seems awfully cruel and inhumane. I would rather she be at home where she feels safe and I can hold her and be with her 'til she's gone. Same goes for Tubby. At home he is more than happy just to be near me, and even better to be on my lap. When he's at the vet's, he just wants to explore and sniff all the new stuff, so I'd rather have him relaxed and comfy - on my lap, where he belongs.

Ok, I gotta stop thinking about this now.....:(

ramanth
10-16-2003, 09:57 AM
I don't think the vet should give the drug to the owner to administer... too much risk factor, even if the vet knows there is a sick animal.

But I have no problems with vets making the house call and coming to the home to ease the pain of the animal.

I hope if I have to make that aweful decision that the vet can come to my house.

Logan
10-16-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
I don't think the vet should give the drug to the owner to administer... too much risk factor, even if the vet knows there is a sick animal.

But I have no problems with vets making the house call and coming to the home to ease the pain of the animal.

I hope if I have to make that aweful decision that the vet can come to my house.

Veterinarians are highly regulated in regards to narcotics, just as a medical doctor is. I'm sure this is the reason they a vet wouldn't consider sending medication home. My vet's office has been broken into at least 3 times since we have been going there, and the perpetrator always goes straight for the locked cabinet with the narcotic drugs. I am certain this must be the reason. But I can completely understand why the woman would prefer to have her cat die in her own home, rather than in the vet's office. I have only had to do this once, but I was a wreck when it was over and had to sit in my car for a long time before I could even think about driving away.

slick
10-16-2003, 02:50 PM
I'm with Debbie on this one. If given the chance I would rather administer it at home and have kitty die in my arms wrapped up in a favourite blankie.

but....

I know I would not have the strength to carry out such a task so when the time comes, I'll be off to the vet. Besides, the girls that work at the vet's office love my cats and I'm sure they would like the opportunity to say good-bye.

curiosityrats
10-16-2003, 02:59 PM
I had to have a baby rat euthanized (she was born with megacolon and she had just stopped playing and eating). I actually prefered going to the vet with her. I think my other rats would have been stressed/confused by a vet coming to our home. And I didn't even want to be present for the actual euthanasia. The car trip home let me think and helped me feel better. And my other pets were waiting there for me to hug and cry on. That was the only time I had to have euthanasia. (I didn't feel the guilt or regret I've heard people often feel, but maybe it was because I knew the nature of the disease, and she gave me every sign that she could no longer live with any kind of quality...)

But I think it is highly a personal matter, and you should do what feels right for you. Only a vet should administer/handle the drugs. But the time, place, and whether you are present or not is up to you. If your vet won't do a housecall, just ask around.

Desert Arabian
10-16-2003, 03:49 PM
I have always pondered this since the first time I had to take an animal in to be put to sleep.

I refuse to take my rats to the vets to be put to sleep, unless they are in extreme pain- like Oreo, she was bleeding to death so I had to. I really HATE the way rats are put to sleep. They take the rat away from you to some weird, cold, noisy, odd smelling room away from its owners to be stuck in the heart with a large needle. Then they bring the rat to you still alive, but they can't process anything and are about .5 seconds away from true death. Hardly/no time to say yer last good-byes.I HATE IT! See, with dogs, cats, and most other animals you can be in the room with the pet and they are administered through the vein, and comfort them and watch them pass in peace amongst familiar loved ones.

I want to put my own rats to sleep, I know that sounds odd. Personally, I wish the could be gassed, humanely obviously. Because when they are stuck in the heart, they are in EXTREME, beyond extreme pain.

(I have to say is thank God I didn't have to have princess Peanut stuck in the heart....THANK YOU LORD! I am so blessed that she passed away peacefully at home. THANK YOU! I miss you Peanut...)

I do not think that vets should GIVE you medicines to put your pets to sleep, I think they should have vet techs come to your house and put them to sleep for you there. That way the animal can pass in a familiar place surrounded by love, and nobody has to worry about the drugs & needles ending up in the wrong hands. That is what they really need to do.

curiosityrats
10-16-2003, 04:30 PM
My vet used gas. I checked. I always check. (And Megacolon is extremely painful, and this type is always fatal. I managed her on a special diet as long as she could eat and play and was happy.) I always ask about surgical procedures, too. It is our responsibility as pet owners to know exactly what our vets are doing and how it affects our pets. Especially when you own animals other than dogs and cats, because not everyone (even vets) knows their particular needs.

I am glad that I only had to go through it that one time... I would rather have my pets go "naturally," but some terminal illnesses are very painful and drawn out. It is hard, and it's good to have a vet that sympathizes and will work with you.

smokey the elder
10-18-2003, 09:04 AM
I think the vet should do the deed; because the medicines are dangerous and should not be handled by lay people. I think if the house call is an option, that's a good way to go, especially if the pet is traumatized by riding in a car.

I'm surprised about how they euth rats. At the pharma company where I work, I think they use gas. Sticking a needle in anywhere can't be very humane, IMO.

Glacier
10-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

I agree that a vet should never just send the drug home with the pet owner. Too much can go wrong, and too much potential for danger exists. But I feel strongly that vets ought to make house calls for euthanasia.

My vet will do house calls only for euthansia. For regular clients , he doesn't charge for the service if done in his clinic. For a house call there is a nominal fee. When the time comes (hopefully not soon), my animals will leave this world in the comfort of their own home.

trayi52
10-23-2003, 02:33 AM
Logan
I know what you mean about taking them to the vet to have them put down, it is heartbreaking, I was lucky I guess, if you call it lucky, but my 16 year old cat died last year, the last two months of her life she started getting so skinny, thought she seemed okay and was not suffering, she still slept with me actually slept on my side of a night, and would lick my hand, until I went to sleep. But maybe she knew she was dying, because she seem to do that more often and was constantly there everynight, then one night she crawled under the bed, I assumed she was going under there to die. I made her come out and I held her in my arms in a blanket until she drew her last breath, it seem she just went to sleep in my arms. She even looked like she was just sleeping peacefully in my arms. I had that cat for such a long time, she was really a very special cat. I really missed this cat by the name of Pyewackett. I think I went off the subject.:confused: I am very sorry about that, just made me think of her.
The part about drugs being stolen from the vets office, well that sounds familiar, the same thing happened here, this person realized that the doses would be different for humans than with horses and even small animals, this guy actually stole the vets manual that told how much to dispense by the pound, one desperate guy. :confused: :)