PDA

View Full Version : Where will you be this Xmas........

carole
10-15-2003, 10:15 PM
With the festive season fast approaching us, I was wondering where everyone will be spending it.?

We will be having a nice quite xmas, infact we may just head off to the Beach for the day, as we are having our xmas feast on boxing day at our family favourite buffet-smorgasborg restaurant Valentines., sure beats cooking on a hot summer's day.

LOVE to hear about your plans!:)

lovemyshiba
10-15-2003, 10:24 PM
We've been discussing it recently, and it looks like we'll be spending Christmas with my parents about 2 hours away, and New Year's Day with my mother-in-law, in Allentown. I have a larger family and more kids around at Christmas, while his mom has her other son and granddaughter there for Christmas, and hates New Years Day, because she always says there's nothing to do--we'll just celebrate a week later:)

Those are tentative plans right now, a teeny part of me just wants to stay home and enjoy our day together.

Uabassoon
10-15-2003, 10:26 PM
I'm going to Texas to spend Christmas with my family.

Kfamr
10-15-2003, 10:56 PM
Who knows! :rolleyes: :eek:

wolf_Q
10-15-2003, 11:00 PM
At my house...oh I'm so exciting. :p

RubyMutt
10-15-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
At my house...oh I'm so exciting. :p

lol, same here :) I have to work the days before and after Christmas so I don't have much time to travel :( My relatives tend to not get along so well around holidays anyway (so much stress) so we usually don't do anything big. I'm happy spending it at home with Ruby and my immediate family :D

wolf_Q
10-15-2003, 11:47 PM
Yeah, I'm sure I'll have to work Christmas Eve too...I've requested the day after off, and luckily we are closed on Christmas day...but I'll have to work the other days.

captain
10-16-2003, 12:21 AM
Well, Christmas Eve ........ my Mum is German, so we will be at my Oma's house celebrating ...

Christmas Day ......... probably with Husband's family - his brother lives in Aussie too ..........
and at night, normally at my Dad's family gathering, which goes on allllllllll night ...... :D

carrie
10-16-2003, 12:58 AM
Christmas will be extra special for me this year.

My husband will be at home after four months in Canada, my best friend, Rachelle, and her daughter will be here - they moved out to live in Canada just over a year ago and last year was the first Christmas we have not spent together for ten years. Just before Christmas Rachelle's husband will also be here, he is working in Afghanistan at the moment.
Also just before Christmas my husband, sister and I are flying to Spain to meet my nephew and niece - they were given up for adoption 23 years ago and I finally managed to trace them and contact them earlier this year. They were 4 and 1 when I last saw them and I was 8 years old. We are all VERY happy to be back in contact with them and VERY excited about seeing each other. They have only been in contact with each other for the last two years and had almost given up hope of finding any more family.
Magic, or what....?

binka_nugget
10-16-2003, 01:50 AM
Home, enjoying the very few days that I don't have homework...lol

Rio and Me
10-16-2003, 04:34 AM
This will be my first Xmas in my own place so ill be working xmas morn 6 till 9 then ill open the doggy pressie for Rio!!!
then im attempting xmas dinner for my mum and bro!!! (they might end up hungry lol).
if that gos wrong well go to my grans and stay there till boxing day (we have like a huge family)
then ill recover!
new years eve ill go out with mates!!!!
one of my mates moved to NZ and shes coming back in January so i cant wait!!!
Ky

Samantha Puppy
10-16-2003, 07:29 AM
For the majority of the day and dinner, I'll be at home, having my last traditional Christmas there. Next Christmas, Josh and I will be married and it'll be a completely new thing... *sniff* Anyway, after dinner, my family always goes over his parent's house for some wine and dessert.

lynnestankard
10-16-2003, 07:36 AM
Well Elizabeths home this Christmas so it will be her with Me and Don - we're going to have Chrstmas Day lunch at a restaurant - then spend the afternoon at a friends house - playing stupid games, laughing too much and eating waaaaaay too much!!
Boxing Day - hopefully recovering and eating turkey sandwiches and Christmas cake - if the weather is good maybe a trip out on the bike - yippeee!

Can I just ask our Australian PT'ers - do you have Boxing Day too - I know from Carole's post they do in New Zealand?

Wow - it's only 2 months away - grrrreat - I just love Christmas.....

so old, so young at heart....................!!!!

Lynne

joycenalex
10-16-2003, 07:36 AM
i'm working the day before and after, so it will be a quiet day here. my birth family lives 180 miles north of me, so i won't be able to go visit. i'll invite some friends over and we'll eat, then play board games. it it snows, the dogs will play in that at the park. i have the new years' holiday offf, so i'll go my mothers house then. carole, christmas is in early winter here, so snow, jackets, sledding, hot cocoa and snowballs are major parts of my memories, i smiled when you said you didn't want to cook in a hot kitchen;) .

micki76
10-16-2003, 09:10 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is Boxing Day? Is it to celebrate the sport of boxing, or something altogether different?

Samantha Puppy
10-16-2003, 09:16 AM
Boxing Day's roots can be traced to Britain, where it is also known as St. Stephen's Day. Reduced to the simplest essence, its origins are found in a long-ago practice of giving cash or durable goods to those of the lower classes. Gifts among equals were exchanged on or before Christmas Day, but beneficences to those less fortunate were bestowed the day after.

cloverfdx
10-16-2003, 09:17 AM
i have no idea what we are doing, most likly staying home with the mutts nothing special. as mum works most Xmas days it will only be me home and the mutts,my Brothers will be at their Fiancee's and Girlfriends houses. im Sooooo excited ;):rolleyes: *not realy*

Sorry staying home with the mutts is pretty special (they are the best company and dont get into drunken fights)

carole
10-16-2003, 01:58 PM
Thanks samantha puppy for enlightening me about Boxing Day, I actually did not know that myself, all I know is it is a public holiday here and all the SALES are on at the shops, look out HERE I COME:) :D :cool:

belle67
10-16-2003, 02:01 PM
We will be spending Christmas Eve and Day with my family. I might have to work the eve but it won't be too late. ;)
The BF's family are coming down the week before and staying with his sister so I will be having an early Christmas with his family.
Can't beat 2 turkey dinners! :D

slick
10-16-2003, 02:17 PM
Nothing exciting ever happens at Christmas. It will probably be another happy Christmas dinner over at my brother's place :rolleyes:

carole
10-16-2003, 02:36 PM
Slick it may not be exciting but at least it is HAPPY, glad to hear it, lets us all spare a thought for those less fortunate than ourselves, xmas can indeed be a very sad time for some people, and animals as well.:)

Miss Meow
10-16-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
Can I just ask our Australian PT'ers - do you have Boxing Day too - I know from Carole's post they do in New Zealand?

Wow - it's only 2 months away - grrrreat - I just love Christmas.....

so old, so young at heart....................!!!!

Lynne

Yes, we have a public holiday for Boxing Day too, if it falls on a week day. :)

We will probably spend Christmas morning at my parents' house, and have lunch with a family friend and her family. It's the first Christmas without her grandmother, who died earlier this year at the age of 92, so it'll be a bittersweet lunch in some ways.

Shane's parents live on the other side of the country, so there will be phone calls as he'll be missing his folks.

Later in the afternoon I love going to my friend Sue's house; it's become a girly tradition for us to sit in the kitchen and make salads for dinner, gossiping all the while ;)

Dakota's Mommy
10-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Stuck here in Texas with the family in Ohio! I'm really hoping Brian makes it back by then, but I highly doubt it! By that point, I can't travel beyond so far, I think it's an hour, so I guess I'll be spending it either alone or with friends from around here!

Logan
10-23-2003, 12:18 PM
Carrie, when I read your post, it brought me to tears! What a special Christmas for two of my very favorite people, you and Rachelle!!! :D

To tell you the truth, I have no idea what will be happening this Christmas!!! LOL!! With our "new" family, children will be coming and going, and I haven't quite figured the whole schedule out!! I know that Helen be leaving to go to her dad's house when school lets out, and will be there through Christmas Day, then she will be home with us for the remainder of her vacation. It's Scott's children that I don't know about yet!! :o We'll figure out a way to fit it all in, somehow. We'll probably be driving all over the place!! Last year, at Christmas, we were just married (Dec. 21) and oblivious to all around us!! :)

popcornbird
10-23-2003, 01:07 PM
Hmmmm..............while we don't celebrate Christmas in particular, that doesn't mean we don't enjoy the vacation! Not sure what we'll be doing at the moment, but my dad has extra vacation days he can get off from work, and we'll have vacation from school, so we might just travel in December/January. I don't know yet, but here's to hoping!

As for our religious holidays..........Ramadan starts in just a few days..........(Sunday or Monday.......depending when the new moon cresent comes out). Yay yay yay! Can't wait! After the month of Ramadan is over, then we have our very special day of celebration........the day in which we get presents, and spend time with family and friends, and of course the main purpose.........to thank God for all the mercy and blessings he's bestowed us with. So..........this year, we're getting ready for holidays, a little earlier than the Christians! It was cool though, several years ago, when Ramadan was falling in November/December, and our day of celebration was pretty much the same time as Christmas. Everyone had their holidays at the same time. :p But because our religious holidays go with the lunar calendar, the month falls 10 days earlier each year, than the previous, so its moving on into fall now. :p

dukedogsmom
10-23-2003, 02:58 PM
I have to work on Christmas :( I'll still be here in Florida but at the beginning of the year, I'll be in Maryland and hopefully seeing and playing in snow! I want to build a snowman. Haven't done that since I was a kid in Tennessee. I can't wait!!!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-23-2003, 07:01 PM
Christmas Eve is spent at my grandma's house on my dad's side, Christmas morning at our house, and Christmas Day or the day after is spent at a hotel with all 30 of my cousins, 16 aunts and uncles and my other grandparents. We go swimming and occasionally spend the night. :D It's fun.