PDA

View Full Version : pork bones

steeler
05-23-2001, 09:40 AM
Is it true that pork bones are also dangerous? I heard that they can splinter when broken. I know chicken bones are a no! no!

mruffruff
05-23-2001, 03:05 PM
Yes, they are a no-no. Also cooked beef bones. If you want to give your dog a bone, make it a raw knuckle bone with all of the fat removed. Or get a sterilized bone from the pet supply store and be assured it won't make a greasy mess of your house or give the dog some kind of problem.

jackiesdaisy1935
05-23-2001, 03:17 PM
My dogs chew on flavored nylabones and they love them, very good for their teeth and they seem to last quite a while. We have never given our dogs any kind of animal bones.

aprilfools
05-31-2001, 08:53 AM
I have always used sterilized bones. They are good because they are not greasy but you have to be careful if you have an aggressive chewer. The dog can fracture teeth on them. Also I have had one bone break in halve right down the middle, when they do that get another one because they are too sharp and can cut their lips.I had just bought it, too. That has only happened to me once in eight years so it may have been a fluke thing. If the dog drops one on your foot or if you step on one in the dark with bare feet it is not the most pleasant feeling but other than that my lab always goes for them.

Daisy's Mom
05-31-2001, 02:37 PM
Daisy never gets any bones other than the sterilized ones we buy her. We bough her a one that she really loves. I have described it before... it's a hollow leg bone from a cow I think... it's filled with some edible stuff that is supposed to resemble peanut butter. It has kept Daisy content for hours.

LuvMyRott
06-14-2001, 08:33 AM
Those are beef marrow bones. Great nutrition in the marrow, but a little rich, so start slowly. Maybe have the butcher cut them into about 2 inch pieces. Freeze them raw first, then let one sit out for about half an hour so the bone itself won`t be frozen. Gus loves them, and his teeth sparkle!

[This message has been edited by LuvMyRott (edited June 14, 2001).]

RottieLover
06-14-2001, 07:51 PM
My Rottie has a cow bone, it's a front leg bone & goes from knee joint to hock joint. There's really no way he can break a chunk off & hurt him self, It's been sterilized & then had beef flavor soaked on it. He seems to like it.

RottieLover
06-14-2001, 07:56 PM
I might want to add something. Once we had a big ham for dinner with some friends. Max (my rottie) got into the trash when no one was looking. & took off with a hame bone, ate it thru the night & the next morning. He had gotten it stuck on him top jaw, we had to take him to the vet & have it removed.

I think ham bones, & stake bones (T-bones, ect.) are a BAD IDEA.

look for something thats safe, & to big to get stuck anywhere or in anything!