PDA

View Full Version : Meet our Bobcat? mix new addition Simba!

luckies4me
10-14-2003, 08:23 PM
Ok well I didn't want to say anything until I knew he was a stray and after talking to some neighbors apparently he was dropped off at our house while we were gone......this was awhile ago. Anyway, here he is. I swear he has Bobcat in him. Either that or he is a Chaussie/Bengal mix. Well he's been getting more and more used to me and I think the time is near when I can bring him inside. He looks fairly old, around 8 or so, and is already missing a front tooth. So, I proudly present our newest rescue stray Simba! :D

Sorry bout the pics, he's still a little shy.

RedHedd
10-14-2003, 08:35 PM
WOW! He's huge and GORGEOUS! Are you sure he's tame? He looks a bit on the wild side! :eek:

luckies4me
10-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Yes he's as tame as tame can get. I really think he has Bobcat in him! Too bad UC Davis no longer does DNA testing. A pitty. Oh well, Mystic does not care for him too much so we will have to work that out.

See, I swear he looks like a miniature Bobcat. I will try to get some more pics tomorrow or later tonight so you can see more of his wildness.

luckies4me
10-14-2003, 08:48 PM
Here you can tell he's an older guy. If you look closely you can see he is missing a tooth on one side.

RedHedd
10-14-2003, 08:53 PM
Uh oh I'm falling in love! He's CUTE in a big guy kitty kinda way.

luckies4me
10-14-2003, 08:55 PM
He's really a nice guy, just a little scared is all. Hopefully he will come around, although I wonder if he really doesn't belong to somebody around here but they aren't saying anything? I don't know. I am so in love with him already! :D

catlover4ever
10-15-2003, 07:36 AM
Oh boy, I'm in love with Simba. He is georgeous. I too think he is part Bobcat. He's huge.

ramanth
10-15-2003, 08:42 AM
What a handsome boy with gorgeous markings. :)

Kater
10-15-2003, 08:52 AM
He's so handsome!
What exactly makes you suspect he is a bobcat mix? I don't really see it yet....but I'm curious! Enlighten me! :D

2kitties
10-15-2003, 09:58 AM
gorgeous! what lovely marking and such pretty green eyes.

ChrisH
10-15-2003, 10:06 AM
Wow, he is gorgeous! Just look at those eyes!:)

luckies4me
10-15-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by catlover4ever
Oh boy, I'm in love with Simba. He is georgeous. I too think he is part Bobcat. He's huge.

Yes he is huge, but I do have to say his looks so much better in person. I'm suspecting maybe African Wildcat, but his profile and his lack of rings on the tail (besides the tip) make me suspect bobcat. The only thing is he is lacking any tufts, but just the way he is built. I took a couple more pics last night but will try to get more if he comes around today.

We have decided to put up flyers just in case he does belong to someone. If not we will be taking him to the docs, especially since it looks like he's in need for a dental.

This is going to be my new sign once I get off my lazy butt to upload it!

luckies4me
10-15-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by 2kitties
gorgeous! what lovely marking and such pretty green eyes.

That's what I love about him the most, are his eyes! :) They are just so pretty. He has the tallness of the African Wildcat and the eyes, but he has the muscle of a Bengal/Bobcat, just how his coat is too is what makes me suspect Bobcat plus the eyespots in the back of the ears, but no tufts. Hrmm, I really wish I could check his DNA.

Anywho, he decided he was no longer interested in picture taking. I promise I will get better pics of him. Like I said, Mystic doesn't care for him too much and chased him away sorta, so when Mystic is inside I should be able to get some better pics. :)

luckies4me
10-15-2003, 10:32 AM
Well the rest of my Bengal brood are getting testy that I am plastering Pet Talk with "That cat" so they wanted mommy to include one of them. ;) Here is Cheetah and Houdini cuddling. Remember, Houdini is Cheetahs mom.

Again, sorry for the camera string lol. :o

Desert Arabian
10-15-2003, 03:12 PM
Hey, did you know that Sammy is a African Lion mix, and Dudley is an Ocelot mix!?!?!?! Sammy looks exactly like an African Lion- he is brownish/orange, he is fluffy, and has big teeth. Dudley, he looks exactly like an Ocelot- he is brown, with a big pink nose, and black spots on his body. See, here are some pictures to proove it:

http://www.wildart.net/vauxarts/african-lion-face2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/OrliBloom177/africanlion.JPG

http://www.defenders.org/images/fws/ocelot.jpg
http://members.aol.com/OrliBloom177/EgyptianPrince.jpg

Why, they resmemble their big cat parent as well as your kitty resembles a Bobcat. See:

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?postid=500684
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/plaza/abf90/bobcat.jpg

luckies4me
10-15-2003, 03:19 PM
hah, funny. :rolleyes:

Being that many of my friends breed hybrid cats I know how to tell them apart. There are many hyrbid cats, perhaps you should go study some hun. There are Savannahs, Safaris, Chaussies, Euro Chaussies etc. These are all animals that I rescue, so don't come here with your nonsense. I have years of experience with hybrid cats and breeds such as these.

Uabassoon
10-15-2003, 03:23 PM
While I do realize there are hybrid cats, how likely is it for a bobcat mix? In my experience with bobcats they would kill a house cat before they mated with it.

luckies4me
10-15-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
While I do realize there are hybrid cats, how likely is it for a bobcat mix? In my experience with bobcats they would kill a house cat before they mated with it.

Very likely, but unable to be proven now that UCDavis no longer does genetic testing. And it's not like I really meant he was a Bobcat, I was just saying how he reminded me of one. Yes there are very similar features with him, that would at first glance make me question his heritage 100%. If anything like I said already, he is a Chaussie Bengal mix. So yes in a way I think he might have some Bobcat or something similar, not likely but he sure looks it!

luckies4me
10-15-2003, 03:28 PM
As far as mating, it is usually done with the domestic breed a male and the female the wildcat, whichever one the breeder chooses to use. Yes there are always chances of something going wrong but you know what, a lot of people I know have their wildcats hang out with their regular cats, and most of the time it is the domestic cat who is dominant.

luckies4me
10-15-2003, 03:33 PM
Here, look at this page, I think you will get a kick out of the picture of Buffy and Sneaker.

http://www.altpet.net/images/buddy/Buttsn1.jpg

Here's another:
http://www.altpet.net/images/buddy/the%20gang.jpg

http://www.altpet.net/images/buddy/Peace2.jpg

Amber
10-15-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
Hey, did you know that Sammy is a African Lion mix, and Dudley is an Ocelot mix!?!?!?! Sammy looks exactly like an African Lion- he is brownish/orange, he is fluffy, and has big teeth. Dudley, he looks exactly like an Ocelot- he is brown, with a big pink nose, and black spots on his body. See, here are some pictures to proove it:

http://www.wildart.net/vauxarts/african-lion-face2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/OrliBloom177/africanlion.JPG

http://www.defenders.org/images/fws/ocelot.jpg
http://members.aol.com/OrliBloom177/EgyptianPrince.jpg

Why, they resmemble their big cat parent as well as your kitty resembles a Bobcat. See:

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?postid=500684
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/plaza/abf90/bobcat.jpg

I dont think sooo....:rolleyes:

Desert Arabian
10-15-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
hah, funny. :rolleyes:

Being that many of my friends breed hybrid cats I know how to tell them apart. There are many hyrbid cats, perhaps you should go study some hun. There are Savannahs, Safaris, Chaussies, Euro Chaussies etc. These are all animals that I rescue, so don't come here with your nonsense. I have years of experience with hybrid cats and breeds such as these.

:confused: :confused: So what, just because you have years of experience, doesn't mean it is correct. (Not to say that you are indeed wrong, but there always a chance!) For example: One of my hunter safety instructor partners has been teaching hunter's safety for 45 years. During those 45 years of teaching, he always taught the wrong way how to operate a hammer on a lever action gun. Yesterday, an adult student mentioned to him that he was doing it all wrong and was teaching false information. The guy brought in documents pertaining to that gun, and the instructor was indeed wrong- EVEN WITH 45 YEARS EXPERIENCE under his belt.

As far as coming here with nonsense, I will do what I please- you know me! :D

UABasson- that's what I was thinking too. I agree with yer post!

And it's not like I really meant he was a Bobcat, I was just saying how he reminded me of one.

`I'm suspecting maybe African Wildcat, but his profile and his lack of rings on the tail (besides the tip) make me suspect bobcat.

`I swear he has Bobcat in him

`Yes he's as tame as tame can get. I really think he has Bobcat in him!

`See, I swear he looks like a miniature Bobcat.

When you carefully read the wording, you seem to be saying that you think he *is part* Bobcat, it doesn't appear that you are saying he *reminds* you of a Bobcat. But that is my $0.02.

EDIT: spelling errors! :p

luckies4me
10-15-2003, 04:01 PM
Like I have said previously the ONLY way to know for sure is to have DNA testing done. I never said that I was correct, or that he for sure had Bobcat in him, but I do know that he has some kind of wildcat in him, may that be African Wildcat, Bengal whatever!

And for the record, most Bobcats and their domestic counterparts get along just fine.

Desert Arabian
10-15-2003, 04:03 PM
Like I have said previously the ONLY way to know for sure is to have DNA testing done.

Ah, I see!

2kitties
10-15-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
[BFor example: One of my hunter safety instructor partners has been teaching hunter's safety for 45 years. During those 45 years of teaching, he always taught the wrong way how to operate a hammer on a lever action gun. Yesterday, an adult student mentioned to him that he was doing it all wrong and was teaching false information. The guy brought in documents pertaining to that gun, and the instructor was indeed wrong- EVEN WITH 45 YEARS EXPERIENCE under his belt.
[/B]

That's reassuring: Man teaching kids wrong way to use guns. Sorry, I won't get on my gun tirade. But that struck me as amusing. ;)

luckies4me
10-15-2003, 04:32 PM
Oops I ment Jungle cat, not African Wildcat. And for the record I was just trying to be funny, seeing as he looks so wild and cute. It's not like I REALLY think he's part Bobcat lol, he just looks like a miniature Bobcat, heck who knows. So just move on, who cares what he is, as long as he is cute! :D He's on my lap. :D

Desert Arabian
10-15-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
That's reassuring: Man teaching kids wrong way to use guns. Sorry, I won't get on my gun tirade. But that struck me as amusing. ;)

It was nothing extreme, or dangerous which could put the shooter or other peoples in danger. It was just that he was teaching it TOO complex and different than what most peoples would do. So it was nothing serious. The instructor left anyhow.

Prairie Purrs
10-15-2003, 05:32 PM
I swear he has Bobcat in him.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p903e17958ceb8cc5a4633f9e59ca2436/fada9742.jpg

Hi, I'm Bob. Believe me, I had nothing to do with it. :D

Uabassoon
10-15-2003, 05:36 PM
LOL silly Bob.

Lorraine
10-15-2003, 05:46 PM
Simba!! What a GREAT name!! It fits him prefectly! He is a very handsome boy!:D

carole
10-15-2003, 10:30 PM
WELCOME to PT Simba, you are indeed one fine feline, you remind me of the spotted tabby that came visiting me the last few weeks, very similar in looks, except more rings on your tail.

Whatever he is Luckies4me he is BEAUTIFUL.:)

Fox-Gal
10-16-2003, 01:29 AM
He is a handsome guy, I just love him. He can come and visit me any time.....but I might not let him ever leave. LOL ;) ;)

You never know he could have some Bobcat in him. I had, Tigger for 18 years and he WAS half bobcat. The vet Tested him because we just couldn't belive it. So it can happen. We too just found him, my husband went to take the trash out and there he was.

I wish I had a picture of him to show but I didn't have a digital back then. He was huge and had some bobcat traits that made life interesting at times.

Enjoy Simba.

catmandu
10-16-2003, 09:56 AM
what a Big Gorgeous Cat! and he does have the WILD Look! RRRwwrrroww!

luckies4me
10-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Well I know he has Bengal in him, that's for sure! Who knows, he could just be Bengal lol. All I know is that he is one gorgouse cat, and his eyes are my favorite thing about him, and his loving personality. :) But.......I talked to someone last night who said they think he might belong to someone on the other side of the complex, so we will see what transpires. That of course would mean he's not a stray, however wonder why they never contacted me if I plastered posters of him around the neighborhood. Maybe they just don't care....

Toby's my baby
10-16-2003, 02:10 PM
I am pretty sure your cat there is part Bobcat... My friend has a pure bred Bobcat and it looks just like that.and his is in his house too.

Desert Arabian
10-16-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Toby's my baby
My friend has a pure bred Bobcat and it looks just like that

:confused: How can it be a purbred Bobcat and look just like Cass's cat? Purebred Bobcats are huge- the size of an average dog, they have tufts of hair coming off of their cheeks, they have ear tufts (not as much as a Lynx), they have half of a tail, and they have a rather shaggy coat. :confused:

Confused.

http://www2.ucsc.edu/police/bobcat%20photo.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
10-17-2003, 12:20 AM
Whatever he is he's gorgeous. :) A co-worker of mine had a female Bobcat as a pet when she was growing up. She said that she got along with all of her animals and loved to play with the dogs. She named her Nippy because she would nip her lightly with her teeth but not hurt her. She also said that she was the the size of a medium sized dog.

captain
10-17-2003, 12:54 AM
What great pics - thanks for sharing .....

As far as the Bobcat issue goes - whether Simba is or is NOT Bobcat-ish - I don't know, but he sure is cute!!!!!

Kfamr
10-17-2003, 12:55 AM
I like the name Simba .... Wonder why. ;)

wolfsoul
10-18-2003, 11:09 AM
AWWW I LOVE him! His eyes are just gorgeous! I believe that there are a few bengals on here. Bengal owners speak up! :D I don't see any bobcat, but you never know!

CongRATS!

I am pretty sure your cat there is part Bobcat... My friend has a pure bred Bobcat and it looks just like that.and his is in his house too.
No pics? :D

luckies4me
10-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
AWWW I LOVE him! His eyes are just gorgeous! I believe that there are a few bengals on here. Bengal owners speak up! :D I don't see any bobcat, but you never know!

CongRATS!

"CongRATS!" Tee hee, had to laugh at that one. He's just a Bengal and that's it lol. I was just poking fun, he's just a regular old Bengal cat, that's it. I just thought it was funny seeming as he looks so wild to say that, I was in no way being serious. Yes he does look like a miniature Bobcat lol, but he's just a Bengal.

And yes there are SEVERAL Bengal owners on here, remember I own four of them, my Bengal brood. :p Ok, well now 5. :D

Anyways, most Bengals are very easily recognizable and any Bengal person who knows a lot about the breed can only tell he's a Bengal lol. :p Remember he got dropped off here for a reason, because I run a Bengal rescue lol. Bengals and Buddies, although it's for more than just Bengals.

trayi52
10-18-2003, 02:26 PM
Hey luckies4me
You have a beautiful cat, but why all the bickering back and forth here, we love all of our cats, no matter what they are.
Just try to be nice, and don't lash out at everybody, take a deep breath and calm down.:)

luckies4me
10-18-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Hey luckies4me
You have a beautiful cat, but why all the bickering back and forth here, we love all of our cats, no matter what they are.
Just try to be nice, and don't lash out at everybody, take a deep breath and calm down.

Huh? You have me very confused. No one here is bickering. :confused: I am being nice, I am not upset at anything. WOW, this was totally unexpected. I really do not understand why you posted something like this??? I am calm lol.

trayi52
10-18-2003, 02:44 PM
Sorry, but it did sound like it, there is so much disagreeing going on, I think Simba is a beautiful cat. I love them all, and by the looks of it you are very fond of all of your cats. It is wonderful that you took in a new baby, my husband will not let me have no more than the two I have.:( mean old husband.;)

luckies4me
10-18-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Sorry, but it did sound like it, there is so much disagreeing going on, I think Simba is a beautiful cat. I love them all, and by the looks of it you are very fond of all of your cats. It is wonderful that you took in a new baby, my husband will not let me have no more than the two I have.:( mean old husband.;)

LOL, I know what you mean about those darn men! Always spoiling it for us ladies. Dan puts up with it, and well, he just has to lol. He knew when he met me I had a passion for all things pets, so he's stuck with me and my devotion to animals.

luckies4me
10-18-2003, 02:57 PM
Huh, that's strange. I just posted a reply to this and it was here a minute ago and now it's suddenly gone, and then it sent me a new message saying there was a new reply, after I had already read that post and there isn't one, and now my reply is gone. Hrmm, talk about strange.

Anywho I guess I will just repeat what I said earlier.

I just said that when Dan met me he knew I loved animals, so he has to deal with it lol. :p

luckies4me
10-18-2003, 02:58 PM
I keep coming back thinking my post is suddenly going to reappear lol......:rolleyes:

trayi52
10-18-2003, 03:05 PM
Well my husband knew how I loved animal when we met, and we been married for 33 years, but he still hates my cats.:( , why can't he just like my little darlings, he says nobody likes cats, ump! go figure. I mean did you see and read my story about my little Grover, he told my daughter she should have left her in the garbage.:( , but luckily she didn't and well she is my little buddy now, since she was 2 weeks old, and I got her April 4, 2003.:D

luckies4me
10-18-2003, 03:07 PM
trayi52 did you delete your post? Now it's gone too. :eek:

trayi52
10-18-2003, 03:13 PM
No, LOL, I had to edit it, sometimes I think I am in msn messenger talking and my spelling needed to be edited, I think I may have to go back to elementay school and learn my spelling all over again. Awful, huh? Thanks its there now I hope, please check again.:D

luckies4me
10-18-2003, 03:19 PM
This is weird. I am having trouble with Pet Talk. I am replying right now and when I scroll down I see the posts, but when I view the thread they are not there.

See, watch I can copy and paste them. Does anyone else see these replies already posted? Please tell me because if not something is wrong with PT.

"Sorry, but it did sound like it, there is so much disagreeing going on, I think Simba is a beautiful cat. I love them all, and by the looks of it you are very fond of all of your cats. It is wonderful that you took in a new baby, my husband will not let me have no more than the two I have. mean old husband. "

"Originally posted by trayi52
Sorry, but it did sound like it, there is so much disagreeing going on, I think Simba is a beautiful cat. I love them all, and by the looks of it you are very fond of all of your cats. It is wonderful that you took in a new baby, my husband will not let me have no more than the two I have. mean old husband.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL, I know what you mean about those darn men! Always spoiling it for us ladies. Dan puts up with it, and well, he just has to lol. He knew when he met me I had a passion for all things pets, so he's stuck with me and my devotion to animals."

This is so strange. I wonder why I can see the replies when I go to reply, but can't see them anymore when I view the thread. :confused:

trayi52
10-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Gee, I think I see them all. I'm not sure, now I am getting confused, did you see my last one about me needing to go back to elementary school and take spelling all over again, please tell me you did, then I will know I'm not crazy.:confused: :D and i need to edit my last reply , spelling very bad.:eek:

luckies4me
10-18-2003, 03:28 PM
Yes I see that one, but for some reason I don't see the others unless I scroll down the reply page. Very odd, but oh well I guess lol. Just glad I am seeing the new ones!

trayi52
10-18-2003, 03:32 PM
I am insulted, lol, you didn't tell me I wasn't crazy! Please make me feel better about me and tell me I am not crazy??
I love all your cats. :D

luckies4me
10-18-2003, 04:09 PM
No you're not crazy lol. :p

amoore
10-19-2003, 08:30 AM
hey luckies, while your way of introducing Simba to everyone was unusual (pretending he was part bobcat), you did make the point that most of us know little about Bengals. I looked at the native wild cats and concluded he most closely resembled a small ocelot or margay, not bobcat.

when you revealed that Simba is a Bengal (after a couple pages of fooling), I looked up the breed in my Book of Cats, Reader's Digest 1992. thought people might find this interesting as I did.

"The Bengal is a hybrid, the result of crossing domestic cats with the Asian leopard, Felis prionailurus bengalensis, from which the name is derived...this large and powerful cat possesses a long and very muscular body; males can weigh up to 22 pounds...Bengals became eligible for show competitions in 1991.

"The first hybrids were created in 1963 (Leopard Cat x Domestic Shorthair)...the first kittens were bred with another spotted cat, the Egyptian Mau...The Bengal we know today was created in the late 1970s by Jean Mills of Covina, California. She obtained 8 female cross-bred cats from a U of California researcher...and mated them with two very different male cats: a feral orange domestic cat with deep brown spots, and a brown- spotted tabby shorthair from an animal shelter in Los Angeles. Some 10 years later there were 200 Bengals in the US and the breed was recognised by TICA.

"The Bengal is not as vocal as some other breeds, but its voice is strangely reminiscent of a wild animal"s call...take care when choosing a kitten, temperments vary...'agressive behavior that threatens to harm' is a disqualifying fault in competition."

ookpic
06-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi there, he certainly looks like my cat. Rocky. Rocky was very shy and a bit mean as a kitten, always wanted to bite. I now have two litters from him, with my purebred manx cats. I was told when we bought him he's third generation bengall bobcat. Very unique fellow, still does not like to be petted, but will jump onto my lap after dinner and snuggle. Then I can do anything to him. check his teeth, ears etc. He is now one year old.

Ok well I didn't want to say anything until I knew he was a stray and after talking to some neighbors apparently he was dropped off at our house while we were gone......this was awhile ago. Anyway, here he is. I swear he has Bobcat in him. Either that or he is a Chaussie/Bengal mix. Well he's been getting more and more used to me and I think the time is near when I can bring him inside. He looks fairly old, around 8 or so, and is already missing a front tooth. So, I proudly present our newest rescue stray Simba! :D

Sorry bout the pics, he's still a little shy.