PDA

View Full Version : I *may* have finally gotten a job at the School of Vet Med!

Kater
10-14-2003, 07:10 PM
When I chose to attend the University of Wisconsin-Madison I did so partly because it has a veterinary school. While the UW Veterinary School is not my first choice it serves as an important resource for me as an undergraduate. The libraries are filled with professional magazines and publications that sometimes distract me from homework for hours ( :eek: )and there are job opportunities abound at the Veterinary School's Clinic.

This September I heard about some position openings at the Clinic that involved cleaning kennels and I immediately started calling & e-mailing to inquire about them. Well, the lady on the other end of this job advertisement was never in her office--she worked only until 2pm and her office was undergoing numerous moves/changes. She also never returned my e-mails. Ultimately, I never heard back from her until all the jobs had gotten snatched up. :(

One of my friends, a prospective entomology major, *SOMEHOW* was able to get in touch with this lady and got a job as a kennel cleaner because she "likes dogs." I felt so jealous of her because I felt I really *NEEDED* it more than her. :o But anyway, I asked her to just let me know if she ever heard of anyone quitting so I could call this coordinator woman directly and try to snatch up the job before she even had to advertise it.

Well, this morning she told me that a guy is quitting who does cleanup in the OR (operating room.) While this job isn’t as fun as doggie kennel cleanup, which includes some animal interaction, it fits the bill, and if I work for the rest of the semester it will give me priority in picking whatever position I want next semester.

I am meeting with the job coordinator this Friday (the 17th) and I need your prayers that everything will work out and that I will get this position. The hours are great too and I can keep my other PT job. I will work 5-7ish Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I wish I could work Thursdays instead and then take Fridays off, but my schedule won’t allow it. Oh well, got to make *some* sacrifices! :p

~ the following is slightly graphic in nature ~
Another plus is that because work starts at 5:00pm it will put me in the perfect place at the perfect time to experience the Vet Schools “pathology rounds.” Pathology rounds are almost everyday (because almost everyday something dies in surgery or at the clinic) and they are open to the public. Veterinarians explain the cause of death and show how there is evidence of this in the body, etc, etc. I’ll have to go to one to learn more!

So please, send some prayers my way this Friday! Getting this position means a lot to me!!!

Uabassoon
10-14-2003, 07:23 PM
Good luck! I hope you are able to get the job and everything works out well for you.

Aspen and Misty
10-14-2003, 07:26 PM
YAY!!! I hope you get it! Rember getting yourself into the buisness will let you know what other opertonities are out there! I'll be praying for you!

Ash :D

babolaypo65
10-14-2003, 07:45 PM
sending good thoughts your way!!! ps. i'll BE your way soon. christmas with my family in appleton and lodi!

fingers are crossed!

Cataholic
10-14-2003, 08:17 PM
Good luck, Kater-Tater head! I will be thinking of you on Friday!

lizbud
10-15-2003, 03:17 PM
Good luck to you in getting the job you want. I hope things
work out the way you want them to. I think you'd make a great
Vet.

lovemyshiba
10-15-2003, 05:24 PM
Good Luck Kate!!!
I know you would make an incredible vet:)
I'll be thinking of you Friday.

My cousin and her husband work at the University of Wisconsin too--but they are pharmacists and work in the human hospital--come to think of it, they did just get 2 doggies, maybe I'll let them know you are available for sitting;)

Just kidding, they just built a house about 45 minutes away, in a town called New Glarus, WI. Way off subject--sorry!!

Paws and fingers crossed here for you to get the job!!!

bluekat
10-15-2003, 05:27 PM
Good Luck!!!:D I'm sure you'll get the job:) Sounds like a great job! I would love to work in a vet clinic, but I'm not old enough yet:( ;) :p

micki76
10-15-2003, 06:04 PM
Oh Kate, how exciting! All fingers on paws will be crossed on Friday (I've already said a little prayer :) ). Please let us know as soon as you know something!

Samantha Puppy
10-15-2003, 06:07 PM
Good luck and keep us posted!!

ChrisH
10-16-2003, 03:11 PM
Good luck for tommorow!:D

Kona & Oreo's mom
10-16-2003, 05:38 PM
Good luck!!!

wolf_Q
10-16-2003, 06:05 PM
Good luck! :D

Kater
10-17-2003, 02:04 PM
Uppie date:

Everything went very well! I have some blah blah paperwork to fill out and bring back Monday --- my first day and when I will get trained (by a rather cute ;) fellow employee who I met today.) I get to wear scrubs, which is nice and means less laundry for me! The pay is $8.00/hr. I will be working a total of 15 hours per week now between my two PT jobs...wow, that seems like a lot now that I add it all up (please keep in mind that I am also a full time college student.)

Today was my first time inside the Clinic --- amazing facility! I know I am going to really enjoy the work even if it just janitorial. :D Gotta start somewhere!

Thanks for all your prayers! They worked! ;)

lovemyshiba
10-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Congrats!!!!
Sounds wonderful!!!

micki76
10-17-2003, 02:17 PM
CONGRATS!!!!!:D :D :D

anna_66
10-17-2003, 02:19 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

ChrisH
10-17-2003, 03:09 PM