PDA

View Full Version : Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

jana
08-17-2000, 04:34 PM
I have a 4 month old male Chesapeake Bay Retriever who limps on his front left leg. I'v had xrays and the vet says it isn't broken. He's on anti-inflamatory meds but still limps. Its been over a month now. Anyone out there ever had this problem? Please fill me in.

lhg0962
08-22-2000, 08:00 AM
When my golden retriever was still a puppy, she tended to limp a lot, but at times would run like nothing was wrong. My veterinarian assured me that nothing was wrong after checking her thoroughly. He promised she would grow out of it and he was right. It took her until she was close to a year old. It must have to do with their rapid growth, kind of like growing pains with children. Hope you will find the same to be true with your dog. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

karen israel
08-23-2000, 03:12 PM
This is true..my gr/yl mix had exactly the same problem..in effect..he was growing too fast for his body to keep up..it had nothing to do with hip dysplasia or anything. He's a big muscular boy..100 lbs now at 8 1/2 yrs. the vet said it's common in large boned breeds. good luck! I'm sure he'll be fine By the way, how do you like that breed????

Sandalwood
08-26-2000, 11:30 PM
Hey, that's what my vet calls "osteochondosis." Are you sure it goes away on its own, because a few people have told me he needs surgery!

karen israel
08-28-2000, 07:27 AM
Hi! it went away on it's own. I did give him "Ascripton" (aspirin w/Maalox) to relive discomfort but as he grew he stopped limping (particularly on front legs) His hip dyspasia was something else and came on much later. Maybe he was just lucky. Surgery was never mentioned.

Sandalwood
08-29-2000, 07:26 PM
Karen,

Where can you purchase Ascription?

Thank you,

Sandalwood

karen israel
08-30-2000, 07:25 AM
Hello... Ascripton is an over the counter item you can get at your drug store. I think the bottle is white w/red label. It's coated w/Maalox as to not upset their stomach. The vet only gives Cody anti-inflammatories as a very last resort. After surgery the vet only said Ascripton- 325mg- I gave him 2-he's big and I use it occassionaly for his dysplasia. Hope I didn't mislead you-I meant to ask the vet last night about the situation but forgot.

lhg0962
08-31-2000, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by jana:
I have a 4 month old male Chesapeake Bay Retriever who limps on his front left leg. I'v had xrays and the vet says it isn't broken. He's on anti-inflamatory meds but still limps. Its been over a month now. Anyone out there ever had this problem? Please fill me in.
I replied earlier, but wanted to say in answer to the surgery question, my vet told me that in some cases, surgery is required, but it is highly unusual. I didn't remember the name of the problem, but as I said earlier, Honey is fine now. Good luck. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif