PDA

View Full Version : Is yogurt okay?

aly
05-17-2001, 09:12 PM
Someone suggested to me to give Reece a little bit of plain yogurt every day and it will reduce tearing. Is having yogurt every day too excessive? I was just wondering if it would be unhealthy for him in any way. He doesn't have a bad tearing problem but I do have to clean out around his eyes every day or it will build up.

Logan
05-18-2001, 09:20 AM
Aly,
I haven't ever given my dogs yogurt, but I do know someone that uses it frequently with her Golden Retriever. It is especially good when they are on an antibiotic...helps with tummy problems and yeast infections.
My friend freezes it in her Kong and her dog loves it. She uses sugar free plain yogurt. You might just check with your vet to figure out how much he can have, but I would think that in moderation, it would be ok for Reece to have it everyday.
Let us know what you find out.
Logan

aprilfools
05-18-2001, 10:49 AM
I feed yogurt to my dogs (lab and lab/cross) every day twice a day. The lab is on thyroid tabs and so the tab is hidden in a blop of yogurt. She is your typical lab food inhaler, so it's gone in seconds. I have been doing it for 6 years and I have had no problems. My other lab/cross, puppy 16 wks., has been picking at her food, so I mixed up the dry food with some yogurt and she finishes it all up right away. I buy Columbo 32 ozs vanilla or plain. I usually buy 2 at a time when I go and it lasts me almost two weeks. I hide antibiotics in there too if needed. The yogurt actually keeps the good bacteria growing in their bowels which could be thrown off by the antibiotic use. My two love yogurt.

karen israel
05-18-2001, 11:55 AM
I don't buy yogurt that often but when I do, Cody just drools and sits in front of me and whines. He Loves it! I only give him a little but I figure it's better than junk. I bought him s small Rita's water ice (cherry http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif) the other day since he always wants mine, but either it was too cold or too sweet but 2 seconds later, up it came! I give Cody an egg every week..either scrambled or hard boiled. I heard it was good for their coats. Anybody else do that?

tatsxxx11
05-18-2001, 12:15 PM
I give both my girls 2 TBSP yogurt with a few slices of apple and a few small mini carrots, garlic powder and Brewer's yeast twice a day with their food. They love it. Cody is on daily meds and I put the meds in her yogurt. I try to avoid adding canned food, so all this adds some texture and taste zip as well as the health benefits as mentioned by others.

April, my lab is a food suction machine too! There isn't a food she doesn't like!

kachuma
05-18-2001, 12:45 PM
I definitely will borrow that frozen yogurt in Kong idea for my Weim. I usually put a little peanut butter. Does any one else have other Kong ideas?

aly
05-18-2001, 01:03 PM
Sheeeesh.. I gave Reece some plain yogurt on his food this morning and boy that dog can EAT! I've never seen him do that before. He usually just picks at it when he's hungry but never eats much. Today he ate his whole bowl and then licked it for 5 minutes after. I gave Shiloh a little taste of yogurt and she got mad at me, hehe. She hissed at the plastic spoon I let her lick. She's a picky kitty, she'll turn down just about all people food except the occasional tuna juice I give her. She also likes cottage cheese but she'll only take one or two licks.

aly
05-18-2001, 03:24 PM
Someone posted this receipe for Liver Brownies on a mailing list I'm on. Dogs love them. Sounds kinda gross to me http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

LIVER BROWNIES

9 x 12 pan

1 lb. Liver, chopped
4 eggs
1 cup yogurt
1/3 cup corn oil
1/3 cup molasses
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups corn meal
1 1/2 cups wheat germ

Mix all ingredients together. Add warm water until it makes a thick batter.
Spray pan well with baking spray. Put mixture in pan and level with
spatula.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes. Turn off oven and leave in for 2
to 3 hours.

LuvMyRott
06-12-2001, 05:43 PM
Great Brownie recipe! I use something close to that as training treats. Yogurt is very good for your dog along with most fruits and veggies, organic bone meal, flaxseed oil and garlic.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
07-06-2001, 11:30 AM
All four of our dogs get about a tablespoon of yogurt on all of their meals (twice a day). Have been doing this for about a year, and have vet approval for it. The reason we do it is to prevent gas - greyhound gas is deadly! It really, truly works, too - if our dogs miss their yogurt for a couple of days, the gas problem returns in full force. Just make sure that it's plain, low-fat yogurt. Some dogs can have a problem with fruit or other flavorings.

AdoreMyDogs
07-07-2001, 09:47 AM
I bet the dogs LOVE those liver brownies! I have a hard time with raw meat, especially organ meat...really grosses me out so I have to buy them already packaged :) Alot of the recipes I looked at when I was looking for the right dog cookie to bake and bring to Hannah & Tucker called for blending different meats/organs in the blender! Now that is gross! I would never feel good about using the blender for my fruit smoothies again because I would have mental pictures of ground up heart in my blender!!! :eek: If I make dog cookies it has to be either vegetarian or meat broth. It is always healthier to make their own cookies instead of buying them already boxed, but that's the only down side that my dogs experience from me being a vegetarian.

DogFan77
07-07-2001, 01:28 PM
Aly,
well i sometimes give my dog some yogurt. if yogurt isn't good for your dog try giving your dog some veggies and fruits. :p