PDA

View Full Version : Bailey was bit in the face!

Sevens
10-13-2003, 09:36 PM
We took Bailey and Guinness to the dog park tonite.

Everything was fine. It started to get pretty dark out and there were only a couple of us regulars and then this yuppie couple with two pit bulls.

All of a sudden, I heard Bailey yelp out, which she only does when another dog is being mean to her.

She came over to me and the husband apologized. She seemed ok, I ran my hands over her and everything seemed all right. (Bear in mind, pretty dark outside).

When we got home, we realized Bailey has a puncture wound in her lip! It's not huge and flapping and all, but it does kind of open up and you can see down into it. I guess the other dog really sunk their teeth into her.Also, she has some pretty ugly scratches on her throat. I guess we're lucky they didn't latch onto that.

I flipped out, but Brian talked me out of going to the emergency vet tonite. His main reason is that Bailey is not really in obvious pain, like whimpering and pawing at her face. She's pretty much herself, except for this hole in her face.

I think to be safe, I will take her to the vet tomorrow morning. We did already clean it out of course and it has mostly stopped bleeding, but I want to be sure. It looks like it might need a stitch or two and some antibiotics to be safe.

micki76
10-13-2003, 09:44 PM
Ouch! Poor baby. Let us know what the vet says. I'm sure she'll be fine with some antibiotics and stuff. :)

Aspen and Misty
10-13-2003, 09:45 PM
O no baily :( Poor baby! :( your moma will take good care of you no worries! You are such a good mom! Rushing her to the vet and all!

Ash

luckies4me
10-13-2003, 09:47 PM
Oh no. Hopefully the vet can suture her up and she'll be as good as new. At least the owner came and apologized. Hope she feels better soon. :)

lovemyshiba
10-13-2003, 11:15 PM
Poor Bailey:(
It sounds like you handled everything well, I would do the same, and make a trip to the vet tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

Please let us know how she is doing.

anna_66
10-14-2003, 05:07 AM
Sounds like you did the right thing. Let us know what the vet says & give her a big {{{HUG}}} from me:D

Sudilar
10-14-2003, 07:01 AM
Hope Bailey is better today.

ramanth
10-14-2003, 09:49 AM
Poor Bailey.

Caly and Kia got into a tiff once over a stick and Kia had a small bite wound on her lip. I didn't even notice it until it was almost healed up! :eek: :rolleyes:

I hope she feels better soon.

Kona & Oreo's mom
10-14-2003, 09:58 AM
Poor Bailey! Get well soon--

Sevens
10-14-2003, 09:59 AM
Well, I am finally back from the vet.

I was gonna do drop off, but they suddenly had a no-show, so we saw the vet.

They wouldn't do stitches because they said it could trap infection in. They said it needs to drain and heal from the inside out.

I have to do warm compresses, twice a day, 10 minutes at a time. Then I have to cover the wound with some holistic sort of medicine, kinda like a doggie version of Liquid Bandaid. Then I have to walk her for another 10 minutes so she'll concentrate on the walk and not licking the meds off her face. Then I have to make sure I give her Cephalexin (antibiotics) twice a day...every 12 hours. I had to do the compress this morning, after the vet before coming to work. The only way she wouldn't wiggle was if I sat there and sang "You are my sunshine" to her.

I guess we got off lucky that it wasn't worse than it is, but it still makes me mad. I really hope those people don't bring their aggressive pit bull to the park again. But the most important thing is that Bailey will be fine. **sigh** My vet said Bailey is turning into a "high maintenance girl"...she ain't kiddin'!:rolleyes:

Logan
10-14-2003, 12:15 PM
Puncture wounds are tricky, and when I read your initial post, I figured that the vet probably wouldn't do any stitches. But I am glad you took Bailey in and have a course of treatment to make sure that all will be well! :)

We'll keep fingers, paws and claws crossed for a speedy recovery!!! :)

Logan

Foam
10-14-2003, 12:31 PM
"You are a Sunshine!
A great big sunshine!
You make us happy!
When skies are gray!
You'll never know, dear!
How much I admire you!
Because you've one great big sweetheart!"

You are so nice! :) I hope Bailey gets better soon, girl! :)

pitc9
10-14-2003, 02:06 PM
We sure hope she's feeling better soon!!!

tomkatzid
10-14-2003, 02:35 PM
"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
You'll never know, dear, how much i love you
Please don't take my sunshine away"
:D :D :D
We can all sing it to her.

http://www.babydoll.be/Animat46.gif

tatsxxx11
10-15-2003, 08:24 AM
Poor Bailey!!:( Thank goodness it wasn't even MORE serious! How frightening! I'm so sorry you're hurting, sweetheart, but happy to hear that the vet feels you'll be 100%!! Your Mommy must have been besider herself with worry! Heal quickly, dear Bailey! "You Are My Sunshine" was my Jingles' (RB) song too! We'll sing a verse in your honor!:)

ramanth
10-15-2003, 09:08 AM
*HUGS* to Bailey for a quick recovery. :)

cloverfdx
10-15-2003, 11:46 AM
Glad to hear Bailey is doing ok and i hope it is a quick recovery

*hugs* for miss Bailey

stacwase
10-15-2003, 01:01 PM
I'm so glad you're going to be fine, Bailey! Now take your medicine like a good puppy.

micki76
10-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Just wondering how lil Miss Bailey is doing today?

captain
10-15-2003, 10:27 PM
Yes, how is "our sunshine" doing today?

KYS
10-15-2003, 11:14 PM
Poor baby, I am so glad Baily is going to be fine.

wolf_Q
10-15-2003, 11:40 PM
Hope Bailey starts feeling better soon! Ouchie!

Sevens
10-16-2003, 12:40 PM
Bailey is doing ok, thank goodness!:)

She's had a little bit of a vomiting problem last night, but I think that more has to do with the fact she got into one of my socks and shredded it a little bit. There was a little bit of string in her upchuck.

Anyway, the swelling has really gone down on her face. She still doesn't like the warm compresses, probably cause they are boring, but she is dealing with them ok. Since I have to do them for 10 minutes at time, I have been varying the singing to be "You are my Bailey, My only Bailey..." She seems to like that too. Or I'll just softly tell her how she is a good dog, a brave dog and I'll give her little kisses on her nose.

The vet called this morning to check on Bailey and is thrilled with her progress and that she is tolerating the antibiotics and face gel so well.

We are going out of town twice this weekend (a wedding on Saturday, Granma's memorial service on Sunday) and will have two different dog-sitters who are my best friend and one of my hubby's co-workers. I'll probably invite both of them over tonite and go through the whole routine so that they can see how to do it.

Whew, can't wait till all this is over...:)